☑ SmilingDaze

Mental Breakdown Reviews ★ (╥﹏╥) ★ ☰ ARCHIVES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"A Marriage of Inconvenience"

Author: SmilingDaze

Main Characters: Kwang Yuki, Chanyeol. Suho

Genre: Drama, Romance

Status: On-going

Description of Story:
Hwang Yuki's father has always depended on her for help. Yuki never minded it until a certain incident and  things went horribly wrong. That was the past and now Yuki is ready to move forward with her life. Until, her father needs one last request. Her. In an unfortunate circumstance twenty-two years ago Hwang Yoon Shik lost everything and in order to gain it back used the only piece of collateral he had left. His daughter.  Now, Yuki is being forced into marriage with the son of the deal broker. The one and only, Park Chanyeol. If not, Yuki risks losing her family legacy forever. Family always comes first with Yuki, but what happens when love gets in the way and her past comes back to haunt her

 

 

 

  Critique:


Story Title: 3/5

As far as originality goes for the title, I would say that it isn’t that original or unique. Marriage and Inconvenience are often used to describe fanfics that are about an arranged marriage. But at the other hand, the title completely suits the story and it does have a nice ring to it. It does have the right length, so that makes it just fine and long enough. I do like how you call it an inconvenience because it absolutely is!  Again as far as I’m being honest, when I saw your title I was like ok, another arranged marriage story. And I was right and that was before I even start reading the story. But apart from that I still decided I wanted to know how you would take a cliche subject and make it your own. If in this case you would have chosen another title, your storyline would get completely lost. So in your case, well done on the choice of the title!

 

Appearance: 9/10

a. Poster and Background. 5/5

I will tell you one thing! AMAZING!!! I love the poster and the background. It’s so neat and to me personally very sophisticated. It’s all beautiful organized. The poster was the first thing that attracted me, it’s like a DVD cover from a Korean Movie. When I would see this lying around in the library or in the store, I would definitely take it home with me.  To me it looks you put quite some effort in styling your story in chosing the poster and the background. The background it’s simplicity is phenomal. It’s has just the right amount of graphics and color scheme that has been used suits the mood of the story. It’s very pleasant to read a story with a soft background and an amazing poster! Congrats to the one who made your poster. It’s eye-catching because it’s so neat and like very professional. *Mianhaeyo* I’m going on and on. But I can’t even describe in words how very neat and pleasant the graphics are. I’m overwhelmed. It does completely look enticing to go on and read your story and it certainly does attract readers to continue.  

b. Lay-out and Formatting. 4/5

It may sound silly but just the layout and graphics you used for the forward and ongoing chapters gave me a feeling of looking at a wedding invitation. I don’t know if that was your intention or not. If it was, with the description and foreword in particular, you nailed it! How do you keep everything so clean and sophisticated? I love it!  I don’t like to say, because it’s one little negative comment for you. But I will do it, so that maybe you can do something about it.  As where your foreword and description had that has a nice and very easy reading font, you didn’t quite use a very easy font size for the rest of your story. It may look nice and cute, but in the end, your text wasn’t very easy to read. The font itself  is fine. But when you want to start reading your story it’s quite hard. To read it much more easily, I zoomed in on 125% with Google Chrome to have nice size to continue reading your story. So yes, I don’t think I’m the only who will find this  bothersome. If you can maybe check if you can enlarge the fontsize and it will be allright. It does fit your chapter layout, but it’s too small to read, I’m so sorry. That’s the only negative critisism I have for you.  I love everything else about the layout: The color scheme, the font and the pictures that you used. I don’t know why exactly you choose purple as main color for the chapter titles, but it does work and gives it a certain finesse. The little ornaments you used are so adorable, cute and again so sophisticated and gives you the feeling of the wedding decoration and invitation. You know, apart from my sister’s (writerFairy) layout and neatness, you’re the first one who nailed by have a clean and sophisticated story and chapter layout!

 

Description and Foreword: 10/10

You give us the right amount of information in your description. We already get to know a few of the characters that will play an important role in your story.  I wanted to know everything about your story. I was aware that this was again “another” arranged marriage story but still.. I’m sorry, I can’t get enough of them. I love how every authornim has their own take on the subject. But back to your description or the “About The Story” how you like to call it. It did trigger my curiousity to know more as I said before, so that’s a good thing and that will grant you a lot of readers as well. Because it’s oh so true, when your description is not on point, you can loose potential readers, who actually wanted to read your story. But luckily for you in my personal opinion you escaped that fate. You did a nice job on keeping it clean of too many details and unnecessary details that weren’t relevant to the story in your description that is. Again how did you manage to keep everything so clean and neat. It’s amazing! Your authornote in the foreword strikes me as rather cute and so friendly. It’s so lovely to see you care about your story as it was your own child. Which I do think is the case with all the authornims. You haven’t proved us wrong. For one, I loved your story so.  The disclaimer is present and so are the credits, you don’t anything more there. Great job!

 

Character Development: 13/15

a. Unity of the Characters and Their Actions. 5/5

Your story consist about 3 main characters and quite a lot of side characters. In the first chapter of your story, we got to know the characters and their personality a little bit better.

First up we have our main female character, that’s Hwang Yuki. She’s like a little rebel that was a sweet angel in the past. But certain things from the past changed that for her. She started a rebelion by going against her father and cutting off every  link towards her family. That did cost her the precious relationship she had with her brother. Fortunately they kept in touch, which made their relationship even stronger than before. As the terrible things happened in the past that were connected to her Father, she doesn’t have the strenght and the will to shatter and demolish the image her brother has of their Father. That’s why actually she is very furious about the thing he wants her to do to again ‘save his life’ sort of speaking. Now that she has returned to Korea, history is bound to repeat itself by the thing she has to do. Luckily upon her arrival back in Korea after being away to the States, she has her friend Jiyeon on who she can counts to have fun and an interesting life. And actually that’s the point where it all starts eventually. A party, getting bubble tea and the almost occupie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter