☑ WordsUntold

Mental Breakdown Reviews ★ (╥﹏╥) ★ ☰ ARCHIVES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
"Dark Wings"

Author: WordsUntold

Main Characters: All of NU'EST (Ren in particular), Woori of Rainbow

Genre: Fantasy/Supernatural, Horror

Status: Completed

Description of Story:
In a city on constant lock-down, trapped in light, a group of friends must face the reality they've been denying, if it means getting their friend back from the darkness outside.

 


 

 

  Critique:


Story Title: 4.5/5

Your title is very related to the plot, but technically, only at the end where Mother is revealed. Had this story not been completed when I started reading it, I would have given it a much lower grade. Maybe. It does have the word 'dark' in it, and darkness is pretty much an important part of the story so yeap. But I deducted half a mark because it doesn't have an appeal to me, to be honest. I am the type of person to judge a story by its title (sometimes), and there was this phase where I stalked through the archives of NU'EST fanfictions, and I did see your story there. But I didn't read it. Whoops. (I totally regret that decision then ;-; why did I not read this earlier)

 

Graphics: 8.5/10

Your poster is dark and gives off a strong impression of something gothic. But as gory your story is, I can't seem to get a feel of it from the poster of it, for some weird reason. The poster makes me feel that it would be some dark psychological fic as opposed to a more bloody one.
(I won't take marks off for this but why is Ren's face so big as compared to the rest? You can just ignore this if you want to haha)

 

Description and Foreword: 10/10

I seriously don't think I have anything to complain about for this section to be honest. Everything is where it should be and well, yeah. No errors in the sentences whatsoever. The Author's Note is really long though, but I guess that's because you have a lot of stuff to say.

 

Characterization: 8/10

The characterization, on the other hand, was just...lacking for a few of your characters. I understand that Baekho and Ren are supposed to be the main characters here, but I feel that I don't know them as well as I know, let's say, Minhyun. 

Minhyun was a more well fleshed-out character, in a way. His roommate disappeared one day and he has no idea where he is; he ends up researching more about the phenomenon that got the whole town scared; he's smart enough to realise some of the stuff, like where they were hiding etc. He has a clear motive for doing things, and I'm really pleased with it. His paranoia is very clearly shown, what with his endless stocks of supplies and shiftiness when night falls. Great!

But compared to Baekho and Ren, Minhyun shines in terms of traits and motives. Ren is skeptical of why people fear the darkness and shadows. I get that one part of his skepticism is because of how he is drawn to the the darkness in the first place, but if I remember, there was this one part where he was talking about why people were so unafraid. I was thinking that perhaps it could have been more well explained? Like, I don't know, Ren's attraction to the darkness could have been more emphasised on. Unless he's just vulnerable to the shadows' pulls, and well, that would .

Baekho is just the typical citizen who is a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter