☑ rainxsky13

Mental Breakdown Reviews ★ (╥﹏╥) ★ ☰ ARCHIVES
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Calling for rainxsky13

"Cheating Death"

Author: rainxsky13

Main Characters: Lee Sungjong, Lee Sungyeol & Kim Myungsoo of INFINITE

Genre: Alternate Universe, Fluff, Friendship, Romance, 

Status: Completed

Description of Story:
Shinigamis are angels that are in charge of fetching a human’s soul when their time comes. They are quiet and distant souls making them perfect for the job, and that is how Kim Myungsoo is. His latest charge, Lee Sungyeol, isn’t any different from the previous ones the problem lays on his best friend who sees him and has just intruded his cold heart. Too bad Lee Sungjong’s own heart is already occupied.

 

  Critique:

Story Title: 4/5

I actually really like the title. It intrigues me, like we know that you can't cheat death, especially since everyone is supposed to die at some point. It leaves people wondering about exactly what happened and hence the urge to click on it. It's unique too, however it seems as though you're not the only one who has a title like that. Nonetheless, it sparks enough curiosity for people to click the story (and that's what you want!)

 

Graphics: 8/10

You only have a poster (but it's not like I'm going to dock marks for not having a background) and I like the mist like quality to it. The quote on the poster, "I won't let you take him away from me!" definitely pulls me in. It's ruined by the turquoise colour chosen for the poster. Like I get maybe because it has to do with heaven (wings), but the colour seems almost too lively. Maybe a more subtle blue or grey would have worked a bit better to pull in the overall feel of the story. Other than that, the placement of the characters are appealing.

 

Description and Foreword: 8.5/10

Shinigamis. Holy crap. I'm already pulled in. The description is short and gets to the main point. I like that you explained what Shinigamis are because for the most part, people don't know. The end of the description leaves a few questions as to who has Sungjong's heart and how did Myungsoo's heart melt because of Sungjong. It's a bit typical with a guy with a "cold heart" but the way you worded it, does entice readers to continue on.
The foreword is a conversation between two people, and the end of it ties up with the title and gives reason as to why you chose it.

 

Characterization: 6/10

They seem typical. Sungjong is cute and innocent, while Myungsoo is a cold guy who slowly turns into a lovable person (not that he wasn't one before) because of Sungjong's adorable actions. Sungjong draws so many parallels to female protagonists I've watched in a lot of dramas. Even his reaction to Myungsoo reminds me of those types of girls. He lacked individuality and fell into the criteria of typical heroines. It doesn't help with the fact that both Myungsoo and Sungyeol are teasing him a lot where his reactions (blushing, hitting) is expected. Sungyeol is the best friend, the one who secretly loves his friend and would do anything for him. He almost seems like a second lead (love triangles are heartbreaking) but thank goodness you didn't go that route. 

There's not much I can elaborate on any of the characters because there is nothing to really focus on. You scratch the surface of each of the characters without divulging deeper into their personalities. One of the huge let downs for me is Myungsoo because he lacked a lot of characteristics as his past, and his reactions to certain events seems almost dull and ineffective in conveying much emotions. If you spent more time elaborating on each of the characters, I think they would become more dynamic and interesting as opposed to the static and flat characters they are at the moment. 

 

Plot: 25/40

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter