Not a Smoker - December 17th

365 Days of EXO Drabbles

AU.

 

“Anything else?”

The convenience store cashier boringly asked, and he grabbed the pack of cigarettes and rung them through the computer.

“No.”

Jongin shortly answered, feeling nervous. He wasn’t doing anything wrong, there was no reason for him to be so on edge, constantly looking around like he suspected everyone to be watching him, judging him.

He didn’t smoke. When he was asked, he always said he didn’t smoke. Only when he was with his friends, was when he put a cigarette on his mouth. But that wasn’t smoking for him, it wasn’t a habit, he wasn’t addicted.

He didn’t need the cigarettes.

But most of his friends smoked, and they often offered him, despite his initial refusal to it. Then one day he said yes. But it was very casual, and it continued to be casual from that day on. He wasn’t like them; He could pass a whole day without a cigarette. He just didn’t, because he was always around his friends.

“Bag?”

The cashier asked as he handed Jongin his change. The simple question in the lifeless tone of the man behind the counter was enough to make Jongin jump a little, since he was almost lost in his own thoughts.

“No.”

He grabbed the pack and placed it in his jacket’s pocket, walking out.

That was the first pack he ever bought. But he didn’t want to think about it too hard; it didn’t mean that he was a smoker. It was just because of his friends, that was why he bought it. Just for when he was with his friends.

He looked out into the winter sky, feeling the coldness of the air hit his face and sting his eyes. To his side, sheltered by the outer roof of the convenience store, a man blew out the smoke of his own cigarette, looking out into the same cloudy sky that Jongin saw.

Jongin didn’t need it, he didn’t smoke.

“Can you light me up?”

He asked the man, as he took his pack out of his pocket and opened it. The man casually took out his lighter, and put the flame to the tip of Jongin’s cigarette, witch immediately went to the man’s lips.

He could stop whenever he wanted to. He didn’t need to feel so confused on the inside, there was nothing wrong with buying cigarettes. It was just for when he needed it; for when he was around his friends.

 

The End. 411 Words.


AN:

This drabble was a request from shirubamuun! Sorry if it took me some days to post it, dear.

And I don't know if it was exactly what you wanted, but I enjoyed writing it :D It was nice to go for something that's different from the usual drabbles I write!