Lifeless - November 7th

365 Days of EXO Drabbles

Police AU. Sequel to chapter 307 ‘Blown Cover’.

 

Kris had been in that dark room for days already. At least that’s what he thought it was, but he was only basing it on his hunger and the times they fed him. But he wasn’t very sure, because he couldn’t really count how many hours he had spent asleep, so it was hard. But it had been a long time, and that he was certain of.

He had grown incredibly familiar with the room, and now even in the dark, he felt like he could see. He had spent most of his time feeling the wall with his hand, trying to look for weaknesses, or a different space; anything that could help him get out.

He was sure that his life mattered for whoever had him held, as they kept feeding him very often, so for the time being, he wasn’t scared about that. But he knew that wouldn’t be forever. They had kidnapped him as a source of leverage against someone – whom Kris couldn’t properly pin-point, as he had befriended many important people over his years at the task force –but whoever it was, they were probably either hard to come in contact with, or were taking a really long time to answer, and that made Kris uneasy.

In the extremely ‘cop’ side of his brain, he knew that – in spite it being a terrible thing – losing one officer for the greater good of the citizens of their country was a logical price to pay, but in the rest of his brain, he really wished to be released. He truly wished that they did whatever those mobsters asked.

He’d lie in his uncomfortable mattress, trying to doze off to sleep while thinking of all the possible scenarios involving him and whoever of power he knew. He was trying to go through everyone, guessing who would safe him, and who wouldn’t.

While he was at a moment like that, something different happened. The door burst open, for the first time ever, surprising him incredibly. He wanted to move into a protective position, which his body almost instinctively did, but the brightness that came through that suddenly large hole into his darkness blinded him.

Even when they opened the little hatched under the door to pass him food, it was never that bright, so he couldn’t get accustomed to it easily.

He could hear a lot of voices, all speaking Russian – which he had already sort of confirmed in his mind, after listening to it every meal time – and he suddenly felt a lot of arms holding onto him, handling him with brute force. He wanted to resist, but they weren’t feeding him enough to allow him to keep his strengths, so he was no match to the 3 or 4 very fit guys that were moving him.

They dragged him to the middle of the room, facing the incredible gush of light that was coming in, and forced him onto his knees.

It was hard to see, but Kris could make out a shape appearing in front of him. The man was standing right ahead, as his body was creating a shadow in Kris’ vision.

“Well, well, well.”

The man started, his voice filled with a very heavy accent. Kris was still blinking uncontrollably, trying to make out a face out of the shape he was seeing. He didn’t know why, but he had a bad feeling.

“I have bad news for you son.”

The man continued to speak, in a deep and hoarse voice. Whoever it was, Kris was getting the impression he was important. When he started talking, everyone shut up, and now two men were simply by his side, holding him upright on his knees to face this big figure.

“You’re little boss doesn’t really seem to care about his little field soldiers. He told us we’d need something way better than you before he met our terms.”

Kris’ heart dropped when he heard that. He knew where it was going, and he didn’t like it. But there was nothing he could do, and the man just continued to talk.

“Isn’t it devastating? When you discover you mean nothing? You’re just another nobody cop, that can be sacrificed for the greater good. So now I have to find something better.”

The man laughed, a strong and disgusting cackle formed by his hoarse voice. Kris trying to stay calm, he tried to keep his dignity, but it was hard. He couldn’t see, he felt week, he felt hopeless. It was hard to pretend he was honorable when he felt like absolute .

“Oh, and here’s even more bad news for you, pal. I don’t need you anymore. And everyone knows what I do to people I don’t need.”

Kris heard the distinct sound of a gun being loaded. And not long after, he could feel the cold metal touching his forehead. He had stopped breathing, his body was shaking now. There was no more use speculating, or even thinking. The last thing that truly passed through his mind is what would possibly be a valid last thought, and if it even mattered at all.

Unfortunately he didn’t even get a chance to pounder over that, as the trigger was fired, and his body fell back to the hard floor of that cold room, lifeless.

 

The End. 887 Words.