What He Does For a Living - February 1st

365 Days of EXO Drabbles

AU.

 

“You do what for a living?”

Kyungsoo asked again, as he felt the need to hear the man across the table repeat his previous words so they could properly sink into his brain.

“An . Like a male e, just a lot more expensive.”

Jongdae proudly answered, adding a sly smile to go with that last sentence. Kyungsoo’s jaw dropped, as the man couldn’t hide his surprise. Jongdae waited patiently, as he was quite used to that reaction, and whatever Kyungsoo did next would determine if their date would go on or not.

“Is this a joke? Did Chanyeol tell you to say that?”

Kyungsoo broke his silence, giving Jongdae a bit of a weirded-out look, strongly hoping that the other did say it was a lie, because that was the first time in months that Kyungsoo had enjoyed himself that much on a blind date, and he had already started picturing that evening leading to a relationship. But the other being a male e was a deal breaker, no doubt.

“It’s not a joke, sorry.”

Jongdae answered still smiling, but as Kyungsoo’s expression dropped, he already knew where this was leading, so he went serious, and took control of the situation. He wanted to make things easier for the other, because he had quite enjoyed the company so far.

“It’s okay if you want to leave. I don’t really mind, seriously. Not a lot of people can handle knowing what I do, and still want to date me after it. I’m used to it, and I rather just cut this date short now, if you can’t handle it.”

He was trying to be kind, bit after saying those same words many times, that night was the first he actually felt pain behind them. He was not ashamed of what he did for a living, but for once, he wished he had lied. He didn’t know why he was reacting differently to Kyungsoo, maybe he just really wanted a boyfriend, and was getting tired of that same reaction of every men he went out with.

“I…”

Kyungsoo started, Jongdae’s assertiveness making him rather confused. His mind was telling him to just obey the man’s words, and get up and leave, but his body didn’t move. His mouth did though, and he immediately wished it hadn’t.

“But this is like, a proper date, right? You’re not ‘picking me up’ or something, are you?”

Jongdae took a long moment just seriously staring at Kyungsoo, letting the question sink in and watching as the other seemed to mentally slap himself.

And he laughed. Jongdae didn’t even know why himself, but that situation made him laugh. He had never been asked something like that before, and was refreshing. Kyungsoo really was different from the other men he met.

“What?”

Kyungsoo asked, not knowing how to react anymore, just staring at Jongdae with a concerned look because of the man’s random outburst laugh.

“No, I’m not ‘picking you up’. I’m not working tonight. This is a proper date, and I’m serious about wanting a relationship, in spite of my profession.”

Jongdae answered honestly, not letting hope fill his heart completely, but letting it tingle around the edges. He carefully observed Kyungsoo, who seemed very focused and confused, staring at his own plate as if he was waiting for the food to jump out of it.

“I need to think about this.”

The man said, surprising even himself with that line. He was supposed to say ‘no’, apologise to Jongdae, and walk out.

“I’ll call you in a couple of days.”

His mouth was just not obeying his brain, saying things he didn’t even plan to say. And when he looked up, he faced a Jongdae who seemed even more surprised than him.

“Okay…”

Jongdae’s weak and confused answer was like a cue to release Kyungsoo’s body, making him finally stand up and leave.

“I’ll call.”

He repeated even though he didn’t mean to, and said goodbye.

He didn’t understand what had just happened, but he’d be certainly thinking about all of that on the way home, and on the days to come. He had a lot of thinking to do.

 

The End. 695 Words.