Sacrifice - February 3rd

365 Days of EXO Drabbles

AU.

 

Every 10 years a healthy boy was chosen from the village that surrounded the royal castle, to become the sacrifice to the gods of the sun. If said sacrifice was deemed acceptable by the gods, they would allow for 10 years of good fortune to the entire kingdom, and for strong health to its reigning family.

“Why did it have to be you?”

Tears rolled down Baekhyun’s cheeks, his eyes incredibly red and swollen, for having cried the entire night before. He could hear the festival going loudly outside of that room, but to him, al that cheerfulness was only counting down the minutes for the death of his loved one.

“It’s okay Baekhyun. I’m more than happy to serve such a great purpose to our kingdom.”

Chanyeol smiled as he embraced the shorter boy, holding him tightly against his chest. He could feel the other sobbing, his tears probably soaking through the fabric of his ceremonial gown. He pulled their bodies apart, holding Baekhyun by his trembling shoulders, and leaning town, to level his face with the other’s, so he could look straight into his eyes.

“Don’t cry, my prince. I love you, and if my death means you’ll live healthy and comfortably for 10 more years, then I couldn’t die happier.”

Baekhyun couldn’t stop crying, and Chanyeol’s words, even with the full intention to comfort him, only made him sadder. He had never felt such deep pain in his heart, and he didn’t know what to do to make it better. It seemed like his heart was scarred for good, and there was no way it would heal.

“Park Chanyeol. It is time.”

A man said as he entered the room, standing by the door to Chanyeol out to his painful destiny.

“No.”

Baekhyun’s voice came out as a whisper, all of his being wanting to hang onto Chanyeol, to keep him from going. But the taller man moved away from him. With one last smile in his love’s direction, he walked out, to be brave until the end.

And Baekhyun was just left there, still and quiet. He couldn’t move even if he wanted to. The tears still streamed down, but nothing else happened. He wouldn’t go out, he couldn’t bear to watch. It was better to just stand there, and let the grief sink in.

 

The End. 390 Words.