The Clock-Maker’s Gears - November 12th

365 Days of EXO Drabbles

AU. Drabble from week three of the competition. Originally with Leo from VIXX and an OC.

Prompt: “Right now, we’re like the clock hands at 12:30” – Beast’s ‘12:30’. Min 300 words, Max 400 words.

 

Kyungsoo carefully moved his hands, the tweezers in his grasp tightly holding the most delicate gear. He was working it inside the open clock, reassembling it slowly and carefully.

He knew he had been at it for a few hours already, but had no notion of day and night while he was there, inside his little windowless office. It was quite a peculiar space, really. All surrounded by time pieces – of all shapes and sizes – there was a little desk against the wall, where Kyungsoo did all of his work.

He loved it. His life was dedicated to fixing old clocks, sometimes even playing around with a few creations of his own, or doing intricate pieces for a specific client. He’d spend most hours of his day in that room, with nothing to complain.

But as much as he felt that room was his wonderland, the safe space from the outside world, it didn’t always work for his behalf. His love for his work slowly destroyed every other part of his life.

“Are you even listening? I’m talking to you right now.”

His girlfriend asked, almost in a whisper. She sounded like someone who had given up, and that’s exactly what she was. She was trying to tell him that.

“I heard you. I just don’t understand.”

He said, putting his tweezers down and pushing his chair back, so he could turn and look at her. She was very still, standing beside his seat, sorrow reflecting in her eyes.

“This is not working, I’m not happy.”

She repeated herself. Breaking up with someone was already as task she viewed as difficult, but with Kyungsoo it seemed impossible. He was so far away that what she said didn’t seem to come through to him.

“I don’t…”

He started, but she cut him off, raising her hand to the height of his face so he could pay attention.

“Let me put this in a way you’ll understand. The two of us are like the clock hands at 12:30. We couldn’t be farther apart. We’re practically strangers; I don’t even know you anymore. It’s over for us.”

That he could comprehend. He could visualize the gears in place, as the clock struck 12:30. And he badly wanted to move them, to make them turn back and come closer together. But it was too late, and his girlfriend walked away.

 

The End. 396 Words.