The Price of a Prince - suzyelf

BLK's Review Shop ACHIEVE

The Price of a Prince

Reviewer: dhaatk
Review for:  suzyelf

Requested on: 11/17/2014
Finished On: 11/20/2014



NOTE: one-shot (Spoiler Alert)

(6/10) Title: When I first read the title, I thought it was going to be a fantasy story, because “prince” always associates with royal, which is connected either to history or fantasy, the latest being very common in world of fan-fiction. But, as I proceeded reading, I realized it was nothing like I have imagined. After finishing the story, however, I was able to relate the title to the story. I wouldn't choose such title, though. I understand your intention but the narration was not good enough to fully reveal your idea, so I think that the title is not accurate.

(10/10) Character: Sanghyuk, the protagonist, I found well-written, though once again – not what I've expected. From the forward I thought he would be a rich guy, total extrovert, who enjoys others company and the affection he gets from his admirers. Nevertheless, as a reader, I appreciated the Sanghyuk you portrayed. He stayed true to his character throughout the story and all of his actions seemed to have reason. Talking about minor characters, it was intriguing how you introduced Wonshik. When he came up to Sanghyuk in the canteen, I thought he was going to make fun of the protagonist, but then he kept on talking so cheerfully and friendly I doubted his intentions and was almost certain he would be sneaky, trying to become friends with Sanghyuk before stabbing poor guy in the back. As their friendship developed, my feelings toward them grew, too. Hyuk's character was probably the most basic and used one. Though, his obsession with Sanghyuk seemed a bit out of hand, because he was way too much all over the guy as usually such characters are after new kids just because they have mental wounds from childhood or whatever. In this story the antagonist seemed like he was truly in love with the protagonist, but had no idea how to express his feelings.

(10/10) Originality: As I have said a few times already, this story kept surprising me. After reading only the description, I thought I will be facing another fantasy story about tragic young royal that everybody loves, but the story appeared to be slightly different. I liked nearly everything, from characters to plot, it carried on dazzling me and was dumbfound from the beginning until the very end. Because of that I think the story is truly original.

(35/40) Storyline/Plot: The plot was interesting, maybe a bit cliché at times, but it kept me focused and eager to read everything. However, it was lacking at some points. For example, in the beginning you stated that Sanghyuk's arrival at school changed it forever, so it creates tension and reader thinks there's gonna be something very dramatic and overwhelming, like the protagonist is about to do something drastic, but actually nothing happens. It's just that the guy is so handsome, everybody swoons over him, but it's not like he revolutionizes school's social system or makes some significant changes. Anyhow, I liked how you developed the relationship between Sanghyuk and Wonshik. I especially fell in love with this part: “He was thinking of… He rolled onto his side, his scent was as vivid as his blanket lying beneath him. Hyuk sat up straight and felt his cheeks burning.” That was probably the first time you showed that Sanghyuk has started to fall in love with his friend, but it was enough. It made his confession in the end not to look so out of blue and somewhat even expected. I even believe this to be a happy love story, even if the people didn't end up together, but it made their lives fill with good and heartwarming feelings that they can forever keep within themselves.

(20/25) Grammar/Errors: There were a few mistakes here and there, but since you're a native speaker, I feel like excluding some points.

(5/5) Overall Enjoyment:The story amazed me so much I felt uncomfortable at times, but after reading and proceeding what I've read I realized I enjoyed the story a lot.

(86/100) Points Total


Feel free to give any further questions.

Please don't forget to credit our shop's logo in your Foreword.