A Blessing In Disguise - MinHee_Exotic

BLK's Review Shop ACHIEVE

 

A Blessing In Disguise

Reviewer: dhaatk
Review for: MinHee_Exotic

Requested on: 04/19/2015
Finished On: 04/25/2015



NOTE: 10 Chapters (Spoiler Alert)

(9/10) Title: The title is interestingly chosen. The protagonist Jiyeon's hidden power might be viewed as the “blessing,” but since it is burred deep inside of her, it could be referred to as a thing “in disguise.” Thus, the title is a nice play of words. However, it should be noted, that it is not very original. There are other stories on this site with same or very similar title.

(7/10) Character: The characters are just okay most of the time. Usually, their decisions are illogical and cause problems to plot. The most outstanding example could be Jiyeon's behaviour, when Luhan and Minseok kidnapped her. Instead of trying to escape, she just accepts her fate and complies to everything both guys say. The good thing that was managed to be done though, is showing the difference between Minseok and Luhan. Of course, they do have something very important in common – they both are caring and look after Jiyeon. Yet, Minseok expresses his feelings and thoughts in much easier way than Luhan and that sets them apart the most.

(8/10) Originality: If looking at story details separately, the story is not very original. Detectives solving mysterious cases, people having supernatural powers, someone having those abilities taken away from them, or a person being kidnapped – those things have been talked about in a lot of stories before. However, putting such pieces together is a good choice, when seeking an original narration.

(20/40) Storyline/Plot: The plot is rather poor. As it has been mentioned before, the issue of bad plot is closely related to characters and their actions. The major flaw that has big sequences was discussed already – the kidnap subplot. A lot of unclear events follow after. For example, why did Luhan and Xiumin let Jiyeon open the door for Sehun? She was their hostage, why did they let her behave so freely? Also, when Luhan dragged the girl outside just to tell her one thing, it is said that she is wearing her uniform, even though she was only in her pyjamas back in the house. Talking about uniform, how could Jiyeon go to work, when she was kidnapped? Plus, why did she lie to Jessica about strange energies around her? And why did Chanyeol never saw his tattoo representing the power he possesses before? These and many more questions raise in reader's head. It is always a  fatal alert for a writer, when his audience has at least one question, regarding the plot. And in this story, there have been quite many so far.

(20/25) Grammar/Errors: The grammar skills are fair. More amusing vocabulary could be used, so try to search for fancier synonyms in the future. Even though the plot is rather bad, it does not affect flow of the story much. Major part of the story does not make sense, but they way of writing keeps the reader going. Also, one more small notice – there is no need to write song lyrics in romanized Korean. Just simply putting in the English translation would be much better.

(2/5) Overall Enjoyment: Personally, the story did not leave big impression on me. Due to rather illogical storyline, I found it difficult to go through all that has been written so far. But kudos for the flow and originality! Good luck!

(66/100) Points Total


Feel free to give any further questions.

Please don't forget to credit our shop's logo in your Foreword.