EXOForever99 - Switch!

BLK's Review Shop ACHIEVE
--BLK's--
--Reviews-

 

 

reminder
///////////////
Bonus: [Your questions and focuses for us here]
 
 
 
♦Feel free to message us personally with any concerns. 
♦ PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO CREDIT OUR SHOP'S LOGO/BANNER IN YOUR STORY'S FOREWORD!
♦ thank you for choosing blk
reviews and for your patience! hope to see you visit again.
 
EXOForever99
request on: 10/04/15
pikakaehimesama
finished on:10/18/15
score: 70/100
Title: (7/10)
LOGICAL (3/3) - Does the title ties in legitimately with the story and its plot. 
EYE-CATCHING (2/3) - Is the title interesting? does it hook a reader's attention right away.
original (2/4) - is it a too common, cliche, or vague title or is it new and refreshing? 
 

The title matches the description and the story which is good. There is however another story with the same title, but no exclamation mark. It also does have the same pairing (KaiSoo) so might want to rethink your title. There’s also a BAP story that has the same title. The title “Switch” seems to be a common title, so you should try to rethink it.

(BAP link:

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/667620/switch-yongguk-himchan-daehyun-youngjae-daejae-highschoolau , The Kaisoo link: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/943843/switch-fantasy-fluff-romcom-exo-kai-kaisoo-bodyswap )

 

 
 
story's foreword/description (6/10)
story's summary (3.5/5) - how intridguing is the description? does it lure in readers at first sight?
 

The description is a summary of what will happen in the story, it’s nothing special. It’s not eye-catching nor is it pouring out the entire story in the forward. So congrats to you :)

 
appearance (2.5/5) - How organize and nice it appears versus how messy and unorganize it is. 

 

The appearance is kind of hard to read. Highlights are an extreme turnoff for me as a reader. As a reader it makes it harder to read, especially with colors that don’t compliment each other. It is also bad for those who are color sensitive, or light sensitive. There’s also a ton of excess spacing that isn’t needed. Also this is a pointer for you, and anyone else who reads this review but try to stay away from Comic Sans font. Especially when you get higher up into your education, Comic Sans looks cool and all, but it is ultimately unprofessional.

 
 
characters/casts (7/10)
character development (3.5/5) - From beginning to ending, have any of the characters changed due to events, etc. 

 

There is an inconsistency with switching genders between Kyungri and Kyungsoo. It’s understandable because this is a gender-swapping fanfic, but it is quite confusing as a reader to see it go from, “ ‘What if my classmates look for Kyungri, especially Bomi.’ Kyungri was really worried [...]” (Chp. 1) to something like, “[D]o you understand? Or else you’re forever stucked in that form.” Jinri whispered to him[...]” (Chp.1) Do you see how it switched from Kyungri to Kyungsoo? Stick with one gender name and keep it consistent throughout the story.

 
character's relations (3.5/5) - Are the character's interactions realistic or believable.

 

I do believe some of you character’s interactions are unrealistic. For example, Kyungri’s sister goes from almost knocking Kyungsoo unconscious to 100% believing he’s Kyungri. For me, that seems unrealistic because I would still be hesitant.

 
 
the author's mindset (27/40)
logically (6/10)How much of the story actually makes sense? or is relatable? 

 

Logically speaking, it is not relatable. Body switching is unrealistic, because it cannot happen in real life, it’s a work of fiction. Also for me, the fact Kyungri wants to get revenge on the ENTIRE male population because one man broke her heart, is extremely childish.

 
 
originality (7/10) is the storyline too cliche or is it new?

 

The storyline is a bit cliched, as there are many stories out there with gender swapping. However, you did use it to your advantage and instead of creating an OC you used Kyungsoo to create the KaiSoo pairing which is quite unique.

 
Tone (3.5/5) - Did the author use their own voice? did they thought about the purpose of their voice? 

 

It is a generic tone, and there is no cue, that, “this is my story and my voice” in the story. Developing your own voice and portraying it through a story is hard, so for what you have now is good. Developing your own tone takes time, and a lot of practice. I’m sure you’ll be able to find your voice soon though :)

 
Narration (3.5/5) - What POV(s) are/is being used? And does the style distract readers from the story's contents itself. 

 

The narration itself is just okay. There is nothing special about it. The POV is consistent from the couple of chapters I read, which is good.  Some authors, including myself tend to switch POV’s without even knowing.

 
storyline (7/10) - all in all, how was the story's plot and storyline. did it have a plot? any morals? did it teach the readers anything? and was it smooth or rough? 

 

The flow of the story is extremely awkward, and it doesn’t flow nicely. The best way to fix this, is to actually read it out-loud to yourself. If you read it out-loud to yourself, you can also point out grammatical mistakes as well as see if your story flows nicely.

 
 
proper use of the english language (20/25)
proper grammar/punctuation (7/10) - how well were grammar and punctuation used. 

 

You have a tendency to switch the tenses of words, which in turn makes your sentence grammatically incorrect. For example,  “[D]o you understand? Or else you’re forever stucked in that form.” Jinri whispered to him[...]” (Chp.1)

It is grammatically correct to say, “[D]o you understand? Or else you’re forever stuck in that form[...]” (Chp. 1)

 

Another pointer, since I can see you’re not a native English speaker, I would recommend staying away from contractions. Because when you use contractions in your story, it throws off the rest of the sentence because it is not grammatically correct. So you should try to spell out the whole word instead of making it a contraction. Contractions are words such as: couldn’t, wouldn’t, can’t, etc. The written out versions of these words are: could not, would not, cannot, etc.

 
termonology (3.5/5) - How was vocabulary? was it limited or expanded? 
 
The vocabulary is very basic, but it is okay since English is not your first language.
 
language barrier (9.5/10) - Was "oppa", "ani", "kawaii", etc used too much? did it go from "mom I love you" to "omma nan saranghaeyo" or something of the like? was there too much korean expressions in a story with english as the main language? 
 
You have no idea how relieved I was seeing how there is no use of any other language except English. So props to you :)  
 
 
Reviewer's enjoyment (3.5/5)
self explanatory.

 

Personally, the first chapter is hard to read. I cannot tell as a reader whether or not Kyungri is popular. It seems like there is no structure at all in the first chapter. I suggest you write down what each chapter is going to be about, because you’ll have then set a goal. Then for every chapter work towards that goal you set. Also for me personally, Kyungri is selfish and childish, and those types of characters personally for me, are a pain to read. However, I do think you did a good job since English is not your first language. I do this with any story I review, I recommend this website, https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/. Why do I recommend this site? It’s because ALL my English teachers have told me to reference this site if you ever have any questions about ANYTHING in the English language. This website has saved me from making so many grammatical errors in my writing, and it has helped me improve my writing skills.  

I do hope this review does help you a lot and best wishes on your future endeavors~