After Prison - JaeKnight

BLK's Review Shop ACHIEVE

the

blk Shop

review

Home

GETTING STARTED

Archive

OUR PREVIOUS WORK

Staff

ABOUT OUR STAF

Rubric

MORE ABOUT HOW WE GRADE

Story Details

 

Author: JaeKnight
Reviewed By: kpoperrose

Requested Date: 11/05/15

Review Completion: 11/09/15
Story Link: Link
Reminder: 

- Feel free to message me personally for any questions or clarification 

- Don't forget to credit us with our banner/logo 

- Thank you for choosing BLK Review Shop, hope to see you again!

Bonus: (Your questions and focuses for us here)

 

 

 

Review

 

Title: 8/10

Logical: 3/3

The title relates to the story very well as the point of the story was to portray Minseok's life and feelings after getting out of prison.
Eye-catching: 1/3
It actually makes the readers feel that it will be a cliche story and it doesn't involve fancy words so there's a big chance that people will skip over it while browsing through fics.
Original: 4/4
 I haven't seen a fic with the same title.

Description/Foreword: 7/10

Summary: 3/5

It actually wasn't that eye catching and instead of "We all used to hate these walls" you could say "All us used to hate these walls" or "We used to hate these walls"
Appearance: 5/5
Not docking points because it was pretty neat and wasn't confusing or anything like that.


Character Development/Showcasing: 8/10

Development: 5/5

I think the character development was pretty good. Even though the story didn't depict anyone else's story but Minseok's, I could tell that they've been through a lot and have a totally different viewpoint of life than when they started out. I especially liked how Minseok was so eager to get out at first but he then found out that prison had become his home.
Relation/Cast: 2/5
Since it wasn't a long story, the only character interactions there are Minseok towards his friends, Luhan and the people around him. The times that I saw realistic interactions are when Minseok grieved Jongdae's death, and when Yifan got sort of jealoous that Minseok was free. 

 

It is not all that realistic as Luhan was too trusting of Minseok even after knowing that he was an ex-convict. 


Behind the Author's Mind: 30/40

Logical: 8/10

The story's actually pretty relatable. It's basically about Minseok not realising how attached he has gotten to the prison. But it's not all that realistic, like Minseok getting out after offending half the panel will probably not happen in real life
Original: 7/10
The plot itself may not actually be original but it's nothing new with so many fics these days. The author boosted up the score by bringing the story into a different unexpected direction. I actually thought Xiuhan was going to happen.
Tone: 2/5
There isn't really a tone within the story as the way the author wrote it came off as distant and it really felt like the author was a spectator looking through a glass window.

Naration: 5/5

The story was told through Minseok's POV and it stayed constant throughout the whole story.
Storyline: 8/10

The flow was rushed and too quick for me to actually feel any attachment to any of the characters. Therefore, it was actually hard for me to sympathise with Minseok as the things he missed about the prison were described briefly. The only reason why this didn't go down any lower was because of the unexpected ending. Even though I couldn't really feel that sad, I was shocked when Minseok stabbed Luhan in the stomach to get back into prison.

 

Proper Use of the English Language: 18/25

Proper Grammar/Punctuation: 5/10

Grammar mistakes were present like 'Every steps I made' is supposed to be 'Every step I made' like how it's everything instead of everythings.

Another example is how 'I'm used to be harassed by the cruel guards' should be 'I'm used to being harassed by the cruel guards' and how 'I'm used to do heavy duties in this prison' should be 'I'm used to doing heavy duties in this prison' and this area has a lot of mistakes like this so please consider revising. You may ask for help from another person or me.
Termonology: 3/5
Vocabulary wasn't that expanded and used pretty average words. 
Language Barrier: 10/10
No problem here as there were no korean phrases that disrupted the flow of the story. 


General Enjoyment/Last Comment: 4/5
To be honest, the story dragged on a bit in the beginning and I was actually reluctant to continue but I don't regret pushing myself to continue as I really enjoyed the unexpected ending

 

Total points: 75/100

 

Everything on this thread unless otherwise stated was created by in:exordium's staff.
This theme is by Nefelibata Themes and can be used as base and can be tweaked to your heart's content!