The Fated String - Blu3Wind

BLK's Review Shop ACHIEVE

the

blk Shop

review

Home

GETTING STARTED

Archieve

OUR PREVIOUS WORK

Staff

ABOUT OUR STAF

Rubric

MORE ABOUT HOW WE GRADE

Story Details

 

Author: Blu3Wind
Reviewed By: Natocuty

Requested Date: ??/??/17

Review Completion: 8/05/17
Story Link:
Link
Reminder: 

- Feel free to message me personally for any questions or clarification 

- Don't forget to credit us with our banner/logo 

- Thank you for choosing BLK Review Shop, hope to see you again!

Bonus: (Your questions and focuses for us here)

 

 

 

 

Review

 

Title: 6.5/10

Logical: 3/3

This story deals with the idea of soulmates, destined lovers who are connected to one another by a red string, the red string of fate, therefore, the title is indeed befitting. 
Eye-catching: 2/3
Honestly, the title gives away too much of the story. The reader can immediately tell/understand the idea it's going to revolve around. It's not necessarly a bad thing but this concept has been used over and over again, therefore, it isn't as unique anymore.  
Original: 1.5/4
I've read/seen numerous stories with a similar theme and the titles are moreso the same. Does it lack originality? I suppose it does. It does. But then again regarding this concept it's hard to find something as suitable that transcends the norm.  

Description/Foreword: 10/10

Summary: 5/5

It's short and precise and, gives the reader an idea on what to expect. The mood is already set all that's left is to dive in to discover how the story will unfold. 
Appearance: 5/5
The font used is nice and both are presented in an appealing way.

 

Character Development/Showcasing: 10/10

Development: 5/5

Due to her past (Her parents seperation) Yerin has grown to dislike the idea of soulmates, after all, how could two people who are destined to be together, who supposedly complete one another break up? That alone defies the concept itself doesn't? 

Yerin has the ability to see this so called "fated string" that connects two destined people to one another much to her dismay. Sometimes she regards this gift of hers as a curse more than a blessing, why? Because whenever soulmates fight the red string that connects them becomes violent and attacks her as if it were a weapon of somesort. 

Yerin has seen so many relationships break down right in front of her eyes (Her parents being the most scarring one) that she has giving up on the idea of searching for her so called soulmate. She dreads it, really. Because she's afraid. She's afraid of getting hurt. She's afraid of the break-up that follows every relationship. She's afraid of getting her hopes up only to be let down in the end. She's simply afraid of trying. That fear of hers prevented her from being with Chanyeol. It prevented her from being by his side, from giving him the support he needed.

Yerin's character annoyed me at times. Although I understand where she's coming from. I understand her fear. I do. But she even refused to try. She refused to fight for what she wanted just like that. She wanted Chanyeol to confide in her, to open up to her about his parents but when he did, she went all ape- on him, she wasn't even able to properly comfort him or to advise him. He ended up comforting her in the end. She was really useless and yet, she still got mad at him for not telling her about his parents split when she knew she wouldn't be of help. Hee-Jin gave him what she couldn't, she gave him a shoulder to lean on, she listened and was there for him. When he called her and was crying she should have immediately dropped everything and went to him, no questions asked but she didn't. She took too much time to think and when she reached a decision it was too late.

She loved Chanyeol but her fear prevented her from doing anything about it. Relationships aren't perfect. There are fights, misunderstandings etc. but if two are willing to fight for what they have, it can last. One can't fight on his own and I believe Chanyeol was the only one who was willing to fight for them. 

Chanyeol is a really selfless guy. He stepped away from Yerin for her own good. Because he didn't want her to suffer. Because he cared about her. Because he love her with all his heart. He chose Hee-Jin because he was afraid of hurting Yerin who did end up getting hurt either way but he was always thinking about her first and never about himself. 

I just wish Yejin would have listened to Hyemi and would have fought for Chanyeol instead of living the rest of her life with regret. 

And I have to mention Hyemi's and Woohyun's relationship; they are not soulmates but they are perfect for one another. Some people spend their whole lives trying to search for their soulmate when they shouldn't. Who says you end up with your soulmate anyway? A guy or a girl can be the right one for you without them being your soulmate, it's just how things are. It all comes down to a choice. A choice you make. You either choose to defy your fate or you don't. Your soulmate can be the right one for you or not. You can never know unless you try and sadly that was something Yerin refused to do.
Relation/Cast: 5/5
The friendship the girls share is really heart-warming. Each one of their personality clashes with one another but somehow they manage to make it work. They form a tight unit, a family of somesort. 

Each couple is cute in their own way : Maerin and Taemin are the corky couple. Myungsoo and SeulYi are the overly graphic couple & Woohyun and Hyunmi are the cheesy couple (And also the parents of the bunch). It's nice having this diversity, it keeps the reader entertained and makes him/her enjoy the story even more, especially during the comedic bits (A comedic relief is desperately needed admist the angsty vibe)

I like how Chanyeol and Yerin constantly bicker. She says he annoys the hell out of her but we all know she's lying, she enjoys his company as much as he enjoys hers. They seem comfortable with one another, it's sad they weren't able to take their relationship to the next level.


Behind the Author's Mind: 35/40

Logical: 10/10

The story has a nice pace. Nothing is rushed. You took your time to build the relationship of the two main characters and you've managed to shed light on each of the other couples as well as their individual personnalities. 
Original: 7/10
I've already mentioned before that this concept has been done numerous times although you did give it your own twist and were able to make it your own.  
Tone: 5/5
One word : Brilliant. You've managed to express the emotions of the main leads in a sublte and beautiful way. 

Naration: 5/5

I'm extremely glad you used the third person. Since this story involves lots of characters, it's nice to have their thoughts and actions described without the influence of the subjectivity of the main lead for example. The use of the third person gives the reader an over-view of the bigger picture. Some things the main character would refuse to admit or say are put on display since the narrator and the viewpoint character are completely different people.
Storyline: 8/10

I had an idea on how the story will unfold. A part of me had a feeling that Yerin would refuse to pursue Chanyeol even though her heart was urging her to. I liked that you went with that as well. Chanyeol loved her and because he did, he let her go. He chose her happiness and well-being above his own. That's a true act of love. While Yerin was too much of a coward to fight for "Them". She was afraid of getting her heart broken, afraid of the disappointment and the hurt the end of their so called love story would bring. The saddest thing is that she doesn't really know the outcome, she only thinks that does when she doesn't, when she never did. And now she'll be forced to spend her whole life not knowing it and mostly dwelling on the what if's. Chanyeol's "sacrifice" will forever be unkown to her. She believes he chose Hee-Jin because his heart told him to, in a way it did but only to protect the woman he truly loved, Yejin. I feel a bit bad for Hee-Jin because I know Chanyeol would never be able to love her as much as he loved Yejin.


Proper Use of the English Language: 24/25

No complaints whatsoever although there are some small mistakes here and there but they aren't worth mentioning and can be easily corrected when you re-read the story that being said your use of the english language is pretty good and your writing style is really nice it keeps the reader etching for more. 


General Enjoyment/Last Comment: 4/5
Although the idea of soulmates doesn't appeal to me as much, I found your story rather entertaining and that's saying a lot. 

Total Points: 89.5/100

Everything on this thread unless otherwise stated was created by in:exordium's staff.
This theme is by Nefelibata Themes and can be used as base and can be tweaked to your heart's content!