>Awake My Soul

‣The Good Ol' Days [Archives]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Review for reikundesho // Reviewed by: pilsuk123

 

Title and Story link:  

Awake My Soul (Completed, reviewed with 25 chapters)

 

Title: (20/20)

PURRRRFECT, I love what the title stands and means to the story. It completely blends in so well with the story's description and the story. The idea of your soul being awaken was just such a beautiful and amazing idea, I'm so in love with the story's title! It's also very short, simple yet give a sense of the right amount of angst and attractiveness at the same time. It feels very poetic and sorrowful as well! It may not sound original but it definitely is a wonderful wonderful title for the story and I love it so much I can't seem to point out what's not good about it.

 

Overall Appearance: (4/5)

I love the whole overall appearance of the story. The font and size was just right, the poster was really pretty and everything looks organized. The only thing I wanted to say is that the pictures used in the story kind of puts me off. The poster/picture with Sunny in it and the other picture with wordings about hunhan was rather unsuitable and the hunhan picture was a huge spoiler for me. I was about to read the story when the wordings of that poster caught my eyes and then I realized it's going to be some hunhan action going on and it gives off the great plot twist and surprise you had in store. I would recommend on getting a poster from graphic stores though because the current one in the d/f, doesn't have the necessary points in a poster.

 

Description and Foreword: (18/20)

I thought the quotes should be place after the short description of the story in description because readers would want to read the story's detail first before being able to understand the quote you chose was a bit confusing for me. If it wasn't for the brilliant 'Dead in spirit, will they awaken at the other’s return?' in the story's description, I wouldn't be interested in the story because that line draws me in and it makes a lot of sense and readers are also able to comprehend the story title with the plot. It hooks people in and it sounds so beautiful.

The foreword was quite unnecessary, for me, because it's all in the prologue anyway.

 

Plot: (28/30)

The plot was a rather difficult part to type because I have no idea where to start. I'm so completely in love with the idea of one's soul being awaken and I like how you portrayed that part. Of someone waking up another's person soul. The conflicts in the story was a bit weak but it was built up well. I really liked the conflict about hunhan and Sehun with Hyungsu. I thought it was original and interesting though it wasn't explored clearly well. During that point of time, I was always wondering of Sehun's true feelings, his thoughts and all which wasn't clearly explained in detail. The other angst conflict was about taoris tearing apart Hyungsu after killing Jongin which made the story really depressing but I was really saddened to the fact of them torturing or making Hyungsu miserable being skipped completely. It's a rated-m story after all and having that scene/part written would have made readers feel Hyunsu pain instead of reading it to us. The story was in fact a rather simple but complicated at the same time. I like how you managed to make a simple story complicated. It made the plot interesting to read and I was always curious how you'll end the story. 

The ending of the story was an expected one, I knew somehow Sehun will end back with Hyunsu again especially after they confessed with each other but it was a really satisfying and cute ending no doubt!

 

Originality: (14/20)

The main plot idea of the story isn't really original, a lot of angst story have plots about their love ones being dead and they couldn't move on. Neither the part about Sehun having a secret crush on his best friend's wife and about him knowing her first and feeling that it's unfair that she was taken away by his very own best friend. However, there are very original plot ideas and twists in the story that cannot go unrecognized. I love how the exo cameo in the story turns out to be really memorable and original. My favorite cameo has to be Minseok because in the end he played a huge part in the ending and it was really cute to see xiuhan together! The other original element I loved in the story, other than the awake my soul idea, was the idea of having Hyunsu forgives Jongin and know that Jongin wants her to be happy after he's gone. So often I'm irritated to read angst story about the oc being angry and furious and refuse to move on with her/his life after losing their love ones and in my head, I just want to shout back at them and let them know that maybe... maybe your love ones would really hate to see you this way and maybe you should move on. It was refreshing to read such a thoughtful and smart Oc like hyunsu. Also, I was squealing about Hyunsu becoming Sehun's assistant/secretary and they'll have a lot of cute moments together, but unfortunately it was almost skipped and fast forwarded completely. 

 

Language: (20/20)

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter