>Nevermore

‣The Good Ol' Days [Archives]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Review for fangblade // Reviewed by: pilsuk123

 

Title and Story link:  

Nevermore (Completed, two-shot)

 

 

Title: (19/20)

The title had very little significant in the story even though it was written even for it's description. While reading the description and when it's included 'Nevermore' and how it's being described, I feel that it was going to be more heavily emphasize in the story. In the story, you had only included the title meanings at the very end. It didn't feel that the title belonged to the story completely at first but by the time I read finished the story, the title actually represents an important part of the story.

The title was short, sweet, simply and sounds interesting. The title was also extremely original and refreshing to read. 'Nevermore'. I would have clicked on the story to read because it has a magical and fantastical feel to it! The meaning of the title actually clicked pretty well with the story because nevermore means 'never again' and it clicks perfectly well into the story. Everything suits it because the 'nevermore' in the story actually stands for the encouragement words from Jongin of never again should Kyungsoo be afraid again. It's those words 'nevermore' that encouraged Kyungsoo to save that girl at the end and also helped Kyungsoo to be more courageous and braver. 

 

Overall Appearance: (2/5)

The main poster that was used for the main page didn't looked too good, the blending isn't done well and it isn't in hd and it looks slightly too plain for a poster. The size of the wordings in the story was too tiny and it causes my eyes to strain so I had to zoomed it to read comfortably. I think you're using size 8 for the words but I'll recommend at least 11 or 12 for all fonts because you want your readers to be comfortable while reading. 

The rest of the d/f page and all are done in an organized manner, it was neat and nothing too fanciful which is great!

 

Description and Foreword: (14/20)

I couldn't seems to completely grasp the full meaning of the story's description. Was Jongin the bird that was being referred in the description? If that's the case, you should add it in the ending to reveal that the bird who said 'Nevermore' to Kyungsoo (in the description) is Jongin as a bird or at least some clues to show that the bird is Jongin in the story or else, the description was a little out of content after reading the story. It was out of place and most of the description was about how 'he' is special but hated the horror of being able to see and remember what normal humans cannot. It was ,again, felt a little odd. The emphasis of the description wasn't included in the story. 

A story's description should heavily be from the story but I feel that it fell short in connecting the story with the description. However, I've got to say that despite it being slightly oddly written as the story's description, it made me curious. I got the feeling that 'he' have a superpower of seeing other people's suffering from the description which definitely caught my attention! It was simple but it got me curious and excited in reading the story. 

After all, to summed it all up, the description is ideal as a story's description because it's simple yet it catches people's attention HOWEVER the content of the description isn't quite accurate (especially about the bird). The part where you're describing Kyungsoo's power of it being a cursed was accurate but unfortunately, it isn't highlighted enough in the story. 

 

 

Plot: (27/30)

To further explain my point from the description part, about Kyungsoo's power not being highlighted enough, I wasn't stated clearly that it's a power. At one point, I was really confuse because I didn't know exactly what power does Kyungsoo have. If all he could do was see exactly how a person sees people suffering, I wouldn't actually called it power. The way it was described is that he have a superpower that made him miserable because he could see all the evil things around him but from the first chapter, it's just him seeing people getting beaten up and just not wanting to help. If it's a superpower, to make it even more obvious, you can make his power much more obvious. For example, he can see the evils thing being done in the future or he can see through evil without seeing it directly. Because from the chapter 1, the way he see the man getting beaten up felt like he saw it directly through the café (just like others).

Another part of the plot is the second part of the story, where you write it about Kyungsoo personally and about how the encounter with Jongin changes him to be better and braver and I think that's the best part of the plot. I loved the second chapter so much more than the first one because it was much clearer and it's more heavily focused on the main character which is Kyungsoo. It was really personal and enriching to understand your intention and partially hidden meaning on writing the story and to answer your question - I completely felt and get the ethical meaning of the story! 

There's so much that I've learnt from such a story and I think that's what made it so powerful and effective to readers. To name some, you taught through your story about how when someone is going a evil deed to someone innocent means he does it without a reason (for eg, when they blind man did what he did because he needs to live), about how helping someone made you stronger, better and less of a coward and a better someone, being kind to a stranger without any reason or motive, about being a better you by helping someone else and to do something and to stand up for something despite it's just you and only you alone against everyone else.

I think there's so much more that I've learnt through just a mere two chapter of the story and I find that really admirable! It gives me courage too ; to save and help someone in need even though I'm afraid or being a coward.

Moving on to the ending of the story, I felt it all ended too quickly. Even though I really liked how you ended it in a really good and subtle way, of them not meeting again till the very end, I still very much love it. I love how you chose this ending instead of a sappy, romantic reunion because what beats that is that Kyungsoo was braver and he's proud of it. I'm proud of him too. I think Jongin will be proud too. Although it ended on a rather fast end, it was interesting and it ended in a really good note for readers.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter