>The Boy Who Wrote A Hundred Love Letters

‣The Good Ol' Days [Archives]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Review for DivineDionne // Reviewed by: pilsuk123

 

Title and Story link:  

The Boy Who Wrote A Hundred Love Letters (Ongoing, reviewed with 28 chapters)

 

 

Title: (17/20)

The title is really long and lengthy, in fact I feel that it's too a little too long. You can either easily shorten it but I don't think it's a good idea for now since the story have already progressed way too far and the poster and all. If you would to summarize the title, my suggestion is to edit 'The Boy Who Wrote A' to somehting short but with the same meaning.

Other than the length of the title, everything else is perfect. It's capitalized correctly and it's gramatically correct. 

The relation, connection and meaning of the title to the story plot was strong and it was an extremely ideal title. It has the important parts of the story in the title, which is of a boy (Kyungsoo) who wrote a hundred love letters. It's what the whole story is about and I think in terms of the relevance of the story, it's extrememly strong and relatable.

Lastly, not only is it a great title that's memorable, it's simple but it's draws attention to the story with it's title! I would be really drawn and interested to read the story if I chanced upon the title.

 

 

Overall Appearance: (4/5)

The overall appearance was very well done, the poster looks great and the background picture was very suiting to the story and it wasn't distracting at all! I always really liked how you wrote the chapter and the title in most of the chapter and the title you created for your chapters was great as well! However, I realized that you could try have a empty space after every paragraph because most of the chapter doesn't have 1-2 empty lines to separate every new paragraph.

 

 

Description and Foreword: (16/20)

The description was written well, you mentioned all the important and special elements of the story which include Jongin finding the mysterious letters in the attic and also how the letter were written into the future. It's also a good description because the part where you wrote about how it made Jongin realized that love was everywhere made me feel that this story isn't as simple and boring as love letters might get. 

The overall of the page didn't have any problem but I thought you could made it better and less mundae because you already have a long line of characters so maybe you can edit some part of the description in terms of style. For eg:

-When Jongin decided to finally clean up his dirty attic, he was surprised to see a small battered and old box lying at the corner of the room.

(When Jongin decided to finally clean up his dirty attic, he was surprised to see a unfamiliar/strange small battered and old box lying at the corner of the room.)

>Even a small change in style with adding italic or bolding the words could help spice a page and be effective.

 

 

Plot: (28/30)

There's some questions that kept popping into my head during every single chapters and I think that's what made me feel so crazy wanting to know what happens next. I can safely say that I read all 28 chapters in one sitting because I was THAT crazy curious about everything! My thoughts are just being so messed up now because I have so many things to say but I can't type enough! 

Ok, to be honest, I didn't expect much from the story because I really expected it to be so fake, boring, unoriginal and too simple to be enjoy you know but I was so so wrong. I can't explain how much I really liked not the plot, but the plot ideas you had written for the story. I can't help but get reminded of two of my favorite books which are The Perks of being a Wallflower and A Tale for the Time Being! You have some of the elements from both stories combined which is so mind-blowing because I loved those books! 

You had a little from The Perks of being a Wallflower of D.O being anonymous so far until the later letters where he accidentally revealed that he's Kyungsoo and I really liked how they don't know who D.O is at that point of time. It keeps the audience and readers constantly wondering. Wonder about when will Kyungsoo will appear, how the letters ended up in the attic when it's written in the future dates, how will Jongin and Sehun be affected by getting to know about how they're future will be and more! My minds are so filled with questions that I couldn't help but want to read more. Moreover, I loved how you made every single letter so special. I was really hesitant about 'A hundred love letters' because I'm afraid that after some time, the magical feel of the letters would fade and it's going to get boring but again I was so wrong. I think a hundred letters might actually worked because by now, I've read about 10 over letters and every letter that D.O wrote still had an effect on me.

You also had a little from A Tale for the Time Being because of how you wrote the story by having Kyungsoo point of view and later Jongin or anyone after they read it. In A tale for the time being, it's constantly changing with a girl's diary and another person reaction after reading a few chapters from the diary. I think I'm so thankful that you decided to write it that way because readers can grasp the situation clearer and better. They'll know Jongin's reaction and thoughts about the letter and at the same time knowing a littler more and closer to the future and to Kyungsoo. What a treat that is for the readers.

There's just something that I'm really curious and confuse about. I understand that the letters that Kyungsoo wrote is in future form so does that mean that the letters aren't really from the future? For example, it's like I'm writing a letter to my future self (maybe 1 year from now), that doesn't mean it's from the future you see. I'm quite confuse about that and I think that's the only part I'm unsure about. Because the rest of my questions would probably be answered in Kyungsoo's other letters and also from Sehun and Jongin. 

Also, to end all these, I'm really impressed. I'm impressed with how you're developing the story so well and without major confusion although it's a hard to write about future and letters and people finding the future letters in the present and more. I think you've juggled all the hard part to aced in the story well! I couldn't emphasis how much I loved the story, probably one of my favorite in the longest time. And to be compared with published books that I love so much, I think this proves how much I love everything about the story. I'm just so lost for words about what else to say because you have so many excellent things in the story but that'll take 10 000 hours to write all down. To keep it short, you're doing an amazing job with the plot and continue to do well! :)

 

 

Originality: (19/20)

Future letters or writing love letters aren't exactly original but I can't help but credit you for turning an unoriginal story topic to something original. You've turned the whole story around with original ideas such as changing the point of view or finding letters in the attic (an unoriginal story) but they're in future form when they're in the present (original idea) or wanting to know more about the future (typical idea) but they want to read on because Sehun wants to know more about his crush on Luhan (great, hilarious and fantastic idea) and Jongin wanting to know more when he'll meet Kyungsoo and know more about Kyungsoo's feelings and about Chanyeol with Baekhyun or Tao with Kris. You see, you definitely turned the whole story around to be original because you added a lot of unique ideas into the story! These ideas add layers into the story, making it even more enjoyable and captivate with it's own special charms.

 

 

Language: (16/20)

For There's barely any huge or major mistakes in Language but I do noticed that some of the sentences can be better structured. For example, it sounds logically to change the order of the words in a sentence. Also sometimes there's unnecessary punctuation such as comma in a sentence. I think those are a few I managed to spot but here are some of the examples that I've listed until chapter 7. 

 

Chapter 1:

-He fanned his sweaty body continuously as he wiped away the sweat that was starting to make his hair stick to his forehead uncomfortably.

(He continuously fanned his sweaty body as he wiped away the sweat from his forehead as it was uncomfortably sticking his hair on his forehead.)

> Sentence structure / order of words

 

-He stared at the sealed flap and turned the envelope over, trying to find any indication as to what was inside (maybe it was his parents old love letter; he did not want to be traumatized for life).

(He stared at the sealed flap and turned the envelope over, trying to find any indication as to what was inside (maybe it was his parents old love

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter