Heartbeat

Meant to Be?

HEARTBEAT

“I feel like such a fool!” Baekhyun wouldn’t let go of the fact that he made himself look so awkward in front of Chanyeol… again.

“I’m sure you weren’t THAT bad…” Kyungsoo knew full well it wasn’t the best way to explain Baekhyun’s situation.

“Well I’m just glad that you WILL help me get together with him.”

“Who said-”

“Mama Do said so!” Baekhyun winked and ran down the hallway for lunch.

“HEY WAIT!” Kyungsoo let out a sigh before following his friend down the hall.

 

***~~~***

 

“Why were you late anyways?”

“Well before I answer, can you PLEASE just finish chewing before talking to me!”

“Well sorry there princess.” Baekhyun swallowed his food and asked his question again. Kyungsoo signaled that he’ll answer him in a bit by raising up his index finger. He just finished chewing his food and putting his phone down.

“I was up late doing some homework and just couldn’t really sleep.”

“Anything wrong with your bed or you’re just thinking too much.”

“No, I ran out of things to think of while I was awake. And I think it’s one of those days you can’t sleep.”

“You could’ve texted me you know.”

“Really?!” Kyungsoo’s sarcasm was obvious. “If someone would just check their phone at night, that’d be great!”

“What’re you talking about? You didn’t te- Oh…”

 

7 New Messages from Kyung-Hyung

 

“Yeah… Jerk.” Kyungsoo checked his phone again.

“Not my fault! I was busy… with something. Who’re you texting anyways?” Hoping he would say Chanyeol as he leaned in closer.

“What were you busy with?” Kyungsoo moved his phone away from his face and raised his eyebrows waiting for an answer.

“Sleep…” Baekhyun slumped back down into his seat.

“Of course. Anyways, I’m checking mail.” Kyungsoo was sure if he told him he was texting Chanyeol, Baekhyun would bug him so much about Chanyeol.

“No you’re not! Your phone rang a text tone, not your email!”

“You know, you’re smarter than you look.” Kyungsoo teased as he got up to throw away his trash. “Want to sit here alone or walk with me to throw it out?” His eyes pointed to Baekhyun’s lunch.

“Hmm, if I go with you will you tell me who you’re texting?” Baekhyun smiled.

“Umm… no!” Kyungsoo smiled and walked away.

“WAIT! Who’s going to throw away my trash?” Baekhyun slumped his shoulders at the fact he needed to get up and walk away now.

“Ah… I can do it for you.”

 

That voice…

 

Baekhyun’s heart raced 1,000 beats per second as he looked up to see Chanyeol right in front of him with his usual gleaming smile.

 

Oh… My… GOSH! It’s Chanyeol! And that smile!

 

“Are you alright?” Chanyeol wasn’t sure if Baekhyun was alright since he sat there for about 3 minutes staring into Chanyeol’s eyes.

“Huh?! Oh… Um… No, it’s alright I’ll throw it out myself. But thank you though!” Baekhyun got up and walked towards the trash can with so many thoughts going through his mind.

“HEY! WATCH WHERE YOU’RE GOING!” As Baekhyun came back to reality, he noticed that he bumped into Kris and his trash was all over the floor on Kris’ shoes. Kris was extremely red and pushed Baekhyun. Baekhyun fell back a few steps. He was scared of Kris. Everyone was scared of Kris.

“No, YOU watch it!” Except Chanyeol. “He was clearly not looking at where he was walking, but you just had to wait for him to bump into you. So next time, don’t blame him. It was your own fault. Couldn’t you just move out of the way?” Kyungsoo was watching from afar and had his arms crossed while shaking his head.

 

Baekhyun... What am I going to do with you?

 

Kyungsoo walked over to the scene and signaled Baekhyun and Chanyeol to walk away from Kris.

“I’m not done with you!” Kris shouted as he walked towards Kyungsoo. He grabbed Kyungsoo’s shoulder and turned him around. Kyungsoo grabbed Kris’ arm and shot a deadly stare into his eyes.

“It’s OVER.” Something about angry Kyungsoo made him so scary. Kris was silent and walked back to his table. Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol returned to their table.

“I can explain!”

“No need, I saw it all.” Kyungsoo sighed and just patted Baekhyun’s back. “Don’t worry.”

“Wait you saw it all and didn’t help me?”

“I didn’t need to.” And with that Baekhyun realized that Kyungsoo knew Chanyeol would help him.

“It wasn’t supposed to go that way, but it went well.” Just as he finished his sentence, the bell rang.

 

***~~~***

 

“Oh yeah! You still need to give me my answer! So… does he approve or not?” Baekhyun finally remembered that Kyungsoo owed him an answer.

“I didn’t ask him yet… I was hoping to get you guys closer and then ask him for you.” Kyungsoo felt guilty and assured his best friend that everything will go well.

“Don’t worry about it! I’ll do it! For now, let’s go to the musical practice.”

“Awww, alright fine!” Baekhyun pushed his lower lip out and crossed his arms.

“Oh Kyungsoo!” Kyungsoo turned around to see the director of the musical, Mrs. Gil, running towards him.

“Ah, good afternoon!” Kyungsoo bowed. “Did you need to talk to me about something?”

“Of course! Or else I wouldn’t run over here. Ah, wow I’m tired, but follow me.” Kyungsoo and Baekhyun followed Mrs. Gil over to her room. They walk in to find a new boy turned around looking at the things on Mrs. Gil’s desk.

“Jongin!” The boy turned around and Kyungsoo felt his world slow down and eventually freeze. He felt something new inside him. His heart was beating like crazy and he couldn’t think of anything at all. His mind was focused on one thing in the room.

“This is Kim Jongin, he’s here to help out with our show!”

 

Oh my God.