B#4 | Romeo's Labyrinth: ロミオ迷⎜KaihleeLo

✎ Steph's Bookclub Archive - For All The Completed Reviews -
  • HOME
  • STAFF
  • FORM
  • ARCHIVE
  • BATCH 3
  • BATCH 4
  • HIRING
BTS2

Romeos' Labyrinth: ロミオ迷

BTS

STLK

95


      /100

KaihleeLo

INFO

OG (3Chpt)

Oh Sehun, Luhan, Kim Woobin, Lee Jongsuk

Fluff, Romance, Tragedy, Drama, Comedy, , Action

SUMMARY

Luhan and Jongsuk are good friends growing up together and happen to be properties under a well-known yakuza in Japan. Due to many reasons they took the chance to escape and happen to be taken in by two rivaled gangs led by two Koreans, Oh Sehun and Kim Woobin. The rivaled gangs are forced to combine forces to protect the two friends, Luhan and Jongsuk.

StephLovesKCulture

19/01/2015

SBC Reviewshop
SBC Reviewshop
SBC Reviewshop
 

TITLE

The first I'm going to say is.. DAEBAK! and WOW! Yes - I correct myself - the first 2 things - In every way, this is so unique! I love your title. When I first saw the title, I read it wrong, I thought it spelled "Romeo's Labyrinth" but in fact it's "Romeos' Labyrinth" so in plural. The title fits your story perfectly! It's edgy, funky, special and unique! The title drew me in to start reading your story right away. Which I practically did. It's like it didn't want me to give it to someone else. So yes, I took the story upon me and began to read! ^^ Again it would be a good title for a mix of Korean and Japanese DRAMA, I would certainly be hooked on the serie! ;)

10

DESCRIPTION / FOREWORD

DESCRIPTION
At first, it looks like it's a bit messy and lot to process. But than when you look closer, it's actually very organised and I must say a unique way to introduce your story and your main characters. You don't follow the mainstream and have a mind of your own! That's the spirit and the way to go! We do already get a lot of information, but we actually need that amount of information to start reading your story. I must be honest, when reading your story, I did kept your description open in another tab, so I wouldn't miss out on any information about the characters and the gangs. OMG GIRL! Your trailer that has been made for you.. hell.. I watched it like 3 times: first time to check out the trailer with the meaning of catching what the story was about. Second time, to actually read what appeared everytime. (Because the first, I was too distracted by everything that was going on, you know what I mean? ^^) Third time, to have the combination of both the first and the second time. It's good that you opt for a trailer, it does give you an extra what to expect from the story. It definitely triggered my attention and curiosity to go and read your story. AMAZING JOB!

FOREWORD
Every authornim can decide what to put in the foreword. Most of the time it does get used as Thank You Note to everyone who helped out with the graphics, lay out, poster, trailer and so on. Or like in your case to introduce why you are writing this story. That's a very friendly and nice way to thank everybody.

8

 

GRAPHICS

The color scheme, pictures used, fonts used and setting used are amazingly suited for your story and do portray the feelings that you should be having when reading this story. Kuddos and Congrats to the one who made your poster and background. She did an amazingly good job, and I must say is a very good graphic designer apparently. You notice at the poster and background used, that you did put quite some effort in creating the perfect mood/setting to start off your story!I love like the abandonned/destroyed warehouse that has been used both in the background and in the poster to showcase the location where it all takes place. It does add something extra to your story. You get like this tragic, dramatic, a bit romantic and gangster feeling when looking at the graphics of your story.

10

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

You do have quite a large amount of characters thrown at us in the first 3 chapters that you have written so far. So that's why like I mentioned before, I always had your description in the next tab, to check out the characters when they were introduced to us. This was also to keep me from being confused already at the beginning of your story. I didn't bother me, only that it is a bit much to process. This is not meant as a negative critism, because if you would have started otherwise by slowly introducing us to the characters, it wouldn't have such an impact. And to be fair, we do need all the characters at the beginning of the story, so it will get easier along the way when continuing your story. You did already a great job on portraying each and every character in this realistic way that you can actually sympathise with them. It's true that they aren't completely developped yet, which is normal as you only have 3 chapters up yet. But I'm in great anticipation for their development throughout the rest of the story. As for the moment, there aren't any major changes yet. Although, you have already a few small changes going on with the escape of Luhand and Jong Suk from their owner and than getting trapped in a gangfight, which led to their seperation. I will briefly go over the characters though, I can't leave them out in this section.

LUHAN & JONG SUK
Those two are like best friends forever. They are also the main characters of the story. Their bond is very close and they are like practically brothers. They are owned by the same man, but getting used for different purposes. Luhan is like this fragil, amazingly beautiful deer with feminine sides. He's getting used to fullfill the needs of his owner, when that one has to leave of some steam. Sometimes it's very soft and slow, but most of the time it's very harsh and almost repulsive and racid. At the other hand, we have Jong Suk who's like the bell boy for this man. He's the "worker" who needs to fullfill all kinds of orders and errands. Both have try to escape this live several times but never succeeded until now.. And then what happened, they got like trapped again and seperated. What will happen next, is the question on everyone's mind right now.

BLACK PAWNS: OH SEHUN, SHUN & SETO
They represent one of the most feared gangs of Korea. The leader of this gang is name Oh Sehun. We don't know much about him yet. Only that apparently, he loves playing chess and therefor also earned their name. He is still in full development. We also get introduced to the gangmembers Shun & Seto. Again the same here, still in full development so. We don't know that much either yet about them. One important fact can't be overlooked they do all have enemies in the Winged Skeleton's gang. Which leads us to the next most feared gang of Korea.

WINGED SKELETONS: WOO BIN, HAYAMI, HIRO
As mentioned before they are the second most feared gang in Korea. The leader of this gang would be Woo Bin. He and Sehun are like archenemy to each other, that led partially to the seperation of the two best friends during one of their gang fights. Again most of the characters are still developping and yet to show us their true colors.

 

I loved the fact that you mix your Korean characters (singer, actors,..) with the Japanese version of them (and they are quite handsome as well, if I must admit) So as far as the development goes, you are on your way to present us some great features of each and every character used in your story. I'm really anticipating the development, as mentioned before.

8

 

APPEARANCE

The font has a nice size to enjoy reading your story without any difficulties. It's well structured and that makes it so much easier to follow. I love the chapter lay out with the images you use to introduce us to the chapters of the story. They all have their own title, I like that. Also the little dividers you use to go back and forward in your story, do help a lot. it's neat and organized and pleasant to read. WELL DONE!

10

ORIGINALITY / PLOT

This story is far from cliché, well let's correct this - it might have been originally a lot like who else "Romeo and Julliette" kind of story. But in that spirit, I would like to say, it's very original though. I didn't see many fanfics yet using this kind of plot in their stories. I like this very much, because you were able to make it your own. Every story needs his typical love triangle, we are not far enough yet in the story to fully comprehense what will happen. The mystery and the gangscene do give your story that something extra. As far as the originality goes, I love it! You did great. As for your plot, it just has started your story, so we aren't far enough yet to get a complete view on your plot or what you are intended to do. But again, you're on your way!

9

 

FLOW

It flows very smoothly hence the flashbacks that are used all the time. It doesn't interupt the flow of your story. You actually made sure by dividing your chapters in a way that is was easy to follow the flashbacks and also the present time. To prove that it flows very smoothly, I have your 3 chapters in less than 2 hours.

10

WRITING

You are conveying your ideas in an a very enjoyable and understandable way and you make sure everyone can understand what they are reading. I like how I can see your story playing in my head. It's like this amazing beginning of a mix from Korean/Japanese Drama. I love it!

10

 

GRAMMAR/SPELLING

I don't know if English is your first language or not, but you did an amazing job by writing an almost flawless 3 chapters yet. Congrats to you!I did maybe spot 2 minor hiccups, but that's all. Here is one I noted down:

Original: "It's base on the human trafficking from Korea and China to Japan. And it happened about six years ago...."
Corrected: "It's based on the human trafficking from Korea and China to Japan. And it happened about six years ago.."

10

GENERAL ENJOYMENT

I can't express how much I like this story. I like it a lot! It's nice having Sehun for once as main characters instead of Luhan (no offense Lulu!^^) I'm curious about what's going to happen next in your story.. I will definitely keep on following this story. One of my favorite parts of the story is the mix between the Koreans and Japanase characters, you did great on combining those two together. I haven't seen much authornims to that before and actually succeed in making it work. I love this modern tale of Romeo & Julliette or in this case Romeo and Romeo. Again, your title does your story absolutely justice. Keep on going and writing an amazing story!

10

 

COMMENTS AND THOUGHTS + REMINDER

Comments and Thoughts: Thank you for requesting at the shop and letting me experience such a great story! I love your modern twist on the plot of Romeo and Julliette. Keep on going the way you are doing right now. You have a great imagination and are able to complete this story with great BANG! (in a positive way) I'll hope you win something from the writing contest, you definitely earned it.

Reminders:
+Comment if you saw this review.
+Don't forget to add proper credits with the link back to the shop!
Credits to StephLovesKCulture [STLK] @ Steph's Bookclub Review Shop ©

SBC