B#3 | The Sound Of Rain ⎜aihara_namika

✎ Steph's Bookclub Archive - For All The Completed Reviews -
  • HOME
  • STAFF
  • FORM
  • ARCHIVE
  • BATCH 3
  • BATCH 4
  • HIRING
BTS2

The Sound Of Rain

aihara_namika

MML

53


      /100

aihara_namika

INFO

OG (8 Chap)

Park Chanyeol, Im Soyou(OC)

romance, school life, slice of life

B*G

SUMMARY

This is a story about how this two meet.
In this town where it rain
The story of this two will be written
The two classmates that barely know each other
Who was about to meet...

marmalody

19/10/2014

SBC Reviewshop
SBC Reviewshop
SBC Reviewshop
 

TITLE

The title does not really interest me. It seems a little empty but it's reasonable as it fits with the story- it's basically how the two met. So well done for that. Also, the title seems unprofessional as only the first word has an uppercase letter. The title should have been written like this: The Sound of the Rain. The reason why of and the in the title are lowercased is because the is an article while of is a preposition. Of course, the The in the beginning of the title is written with an uppercase letter because it's the start of the title.

7

DESCRIPTION / FOREWORD

The reason why I brought your mark down to a 5 is because of the tense. Your tenses are all over the place. I get what you are trying to portray for your readers but you need to proof read your work as well. The description is too simple and it does not bring in readers' attention. You need to grab their attention; make them read more. Also, it's quite obvious that the town you are describing is pretty rainy but which towns, cities, countries, etc don't have rainy days? I know what you are trying to say but in the description, it sounds like you're saying it's a curse/blessing but if you're supposed to make it sound like that, then well done. Some information in the description is also irrelevant such as the part where you have written down that the story of the two people are gonna be written. Obviously, you're gonna write about their journey together. Here is the revised version of your description: This is a story about how two people meet in a small town after one rainy day. That's pretty much it. It's shorter than the original one but you can always do some touch-ups. Also, regarding with your foreword, I actually like it, however, there are still mistakes that can be spotted. A quick tip for the near future is if you type in stuff in your description and foreword, you must type it in present tense. Have you ever seen books where the description of the story (usually found on the back of the book) are written in past tense? No. So don't forget this for next time. Heck, you can write in past tense for your stories but never for descriptions and forewords. I like how you introduced the characters in the foreword as well. It gives us a bit of an insight to what the characters may be like in the story. Do make sure though to proof read it all. If you are not strong with your english, ask a trusted adult/friend to proof read your work for you or you can ask for a good beta reader to do them for you (you can find a beta reader in multiple shops- not all of the review shops have them though). Also, stick with darker font colors as some of the lighter ones actually hurt my eyes and I'm sure it hurts others' eyes as well.

5

 

GRAPHICS

Your main poster for the story does not match the mood with your background poster. One of the things that grab someone's attention is the poster and the background. They want to feel the 'tension' or the genre of the story just by looking at the poster and the background. They want to know how the story may be like by looking at the graphics and if they're not satisfied, they're not satisfied. Both graphics that you have are fine but they don't compliment each other. The background poster seems a little 'meh' in terms of wowing your audience. However, the mood that your background gives off is somehow 'light' but the main poster that you have is a little 'not too light' for your background so it does not really help. Don't you worry though, I honestly actually like your main poster. I like how it's kind of happy and hopeful but a little sad. There are graphic shops that have really good posters/backgrounds/etc. You can request for one right away.

5

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

How should I say this. Your characters are 2D. They are there. They do things and say stuff but that's pretty much it. It does not seem realistic (hardly any parts do). The main character seems a little... predictable/mary-sue. Your characters are a little flat and they don't really go into depth. It's a shame because I can see you have a good plot written out but it's the characters that make the plot seem more than a little cliche. I want you to put in flaws as well. People want to read stories where characters have flaws because that's what makes a story come to life. People don't want to sit down and read a story where characters are predictable and pretty shallow. From what I have read so far, both characters aren't really developing or rather, the process is slow and it kind of brings down the whole plot of the story (unless you wanted it to be that way). However, you can still change their behaviors. You can make them seem more realistic by writing down a list of what you'd want your characters to have and them describing those points. Share one of your flaws to the character(s). It will make the story seem more 3D! The development between the two characters isn't actually clear. It's just there- the relationship. I like how you added minor characters in such as Hara. It keeps the story from totally focusing on the two people so for that, well done! Also, the part where you talked about the gays, lesbians and etc. is actually quite offensive to those who are actually this in real life. It's quite rude. I get what you are trying to portray about that one character in the story but you should have worded it better as not to offend anyone.

5

 

APPEARANCE

The font is easy to read so well done, but some colored fonts are hardly readable. Do stick to one color and preferably, a darker one. Also, I don't quite like how you put an author's note in the middle of some sentences just to explain their importance of the story such as that comedian part. Author's notes should be put in the end of the story so that it won't disrupt the whole chapter. Also, please refrain from putting links in your chapters. Us, readers, want you to DESCRIBE what you picture in your mind. We don't want a link attached to a word; we want YOU to describe it. Use your 5 senses. How would you want others to feel, smell, taste, hear and see it. How would YOU want to see it. Don't attach a link to a word because it only shows your weakness. Instead, try to describe it. Another one is that when a character speaks and then another one joins in, you don't separate their speech. You MUST always separate a speech from another otherwise, it'll get confusing to the readers. When two characters speak, their "speech/line" must be separated so as not to complicate and mix things up. I adore how you always add a little quote at the beginning of the chapters. It's also like a hint for us to decipher so great job with this!

7

ORIGINALITY / PLOT

Where your story is set is cliche. Schools and whatnot. The characters make your plot cliche as well. However, I do like your creativity with the storm at the beginning. I like how one bad thing leads to a good thing. So for that, good job! There aren't any twists or cliffhangers though so add a little creativity and in no time, you'll gain more subs and comments!

6

 

FLOW

The flow of the story is not consistent. Sometimes, it's too fast, other times, it's kind of slow so it drags on a bit.

5

WRITING

Your writing is okay. It's pretty simple and it gives us a hint that your writing is more for younger audiences. Expand your vocabulary more and proof read your work so as to lessen mistakes that you have made.

5

 

GRAMMAR/SPELLING

Do check your work after publishing it or if you are not confident with your english, get a trusted adult/friend or a beta reader to do it for you. It's this section that makes your story look unprofessional and it can come off as 'half-assed' to others. You keep switching from the past tense to the present tense. Please, if you are not sure about your tenses, get someone else to help you with it. Also, please use the dictionary or google. You've a number of spelling mistakes. There is also a spelling check in the editing section so you can also use that.

5

GENERAL ENJOYMENT

It's not really my cup of tea although I like how some parts of the story are a little funny. I can see you have potential but it's the characters and the grammar so I'm sorry for giving you a low mark.

4

 

COMMENTS AND THOUGHTS + REMINDER

Comments and Thoughts: Hello! Thank you for requesting at Steph's shop! I apologize if I was harsh with my words. Do tell me so. Don't worry about your overall score. Just practice, practice, practice and with that, you'll better your skills, etc.

Reminders:
+Comment if you saw this review.
+Don't forget to add proper credits with the link back to the shop!
Credits to marmalody [MML] @ Steph's Bookclub Review Shop ©

SBC