B#5 | The Handkerchief | littlemisshappyify

✎ Steph's Bookclub Archive - For All The Completed Reviews -
ZsQDyX7.jpg?1
 

--❏ Steph's Bookclub Reviewshop ❒--

 
poster

Title

Author

Characters

Category

Genre

Status

The Handkerchief

littlemisshappyify

Kris and OC

Boy x Girl

Angst & M-Rated

One-Shot

Description

When she broke his heart,
he had learned to detest her.
He hated every memory of her that refused to go away.
He hated every part of him that still wanted her.
He wanted to break her.

And when he had finally broke her heart like how she did him,
did he do the right thing?

 
 

Title


The title fits the story very well, as the said object is the what the story is revolved around to begin with. At first, I found the title to be a little plain and boring, and I wasn’t really drawn to it that much. The format of the title is quite ‘proper’, novel-like almost - from that, I could guess that this story is going to be some kind of calm, yet saddening story. It’s not a title used oftenly on this site, though I would say it does lack some kind of originality.

Descr.&Forew.


I definitely love your description. If nothing else, it’s a hundred percent that your description drew me into your story. The angst and the hate are evident in the words, as well as the longing and the love - it’s something that can’t be explained through words, but through emotions. You’ve even ended the description with a rhetorical question, engaging the readers and making them want to find out what the answer to that question is.

For your foreword, you’ve written a prologue of the story. In some sense, this is a good thing because your readers may want to have a taste of what your writing style is like, as well as the story itself. It’s almost acting like a blurb of a book if you didn’t have the description. The way you’ve written your prologue is very effective. You’ve basically introduced the characters and their backgrounds without doing a character description section. Most readers would most likely want to read on from reading your prologue to find out what happens at the end.

Graphics


The poster is beautifully made - the colour theme and the graphics used definitely fit in with the genres. Your background matches the poster and it’s made in a simple style, which is something I personally prefer because it doesn’t distract you too much when reading the story and it doesn’t hurt your eyes too much when you look at it.

One thing I would say about both your poster and background is that the word ‘handkerchief’ should really be on one line, not broken into two, especially for your poster. When I first saw the poster, I thought the story was called ‘The Handker Chief’, which was really misleading and confusing. I think it’s not too much of a big deal for your background since you might have wanted everything to fit into that bit of space, but for your poster, you definitely have enough space to write the whole word out in full and on one line.

Char. Dev.


The characters are all easy to understand, especially Kris in this case. You can see where his hate comes from and why he wants to do all those horrible things to Hana. Hana, on the other hand, was a bit of a mystery at the beginning, but towards the end, everything was explained so there wasn’t any major problems with it.

Overall, the way you’ve portrayed your characters is very good. You only focused onto your two main characters and you have developed them well, letting the readers see into their thoughts and feelings, and understanding the reasons behind their actions.

 

Appearance


I think the appearance of your story is really good! The font is at the good size (for normal-sighted readers, I guess, since I’m short-sighted I have to enlarge the font a little to read it without straining my eyes), and you’re writing in good paragraphs, well done!

SBC

Orgin.&Plot


Honestly speaking, I wouldn’t say that this is the most unique plot out there. A lot of dramas and other fictions are based on revenge and the desire to get back at old lovers for something the latter have done, or just a simple misunderstanding. I guess there really aren’t much of a variation of how these kinds of stories end, it’s either a happy ending with old couples working things out and getting back together, or the kind of ending that makes everyone weep and cry out in agony due to the painful ending, much alike to your ending.

I don’t think there’s much you can do with this plotline to make it completely different and yet not too twisted that will make people frown and stop reading your story once and for all. It’s a good thing that you’ve kept it simple - it’s easy for the readers to follow and understand the storyline. Nonetheless, well done on creating a story!

 

Flow


The flow of the story is definitely one of your strongest points in the story. Everything is going smoothly and the time frames of the events aren’t ridiculous. Since this is only an one-shot, there’s only so much you can write about in that certain timespan, so I think you’ve done very well indeed.

Writing


Your writing style is very mature, I would say. A lot of writers who write stories with this kind of plot often portray their characters and their events in a more playful and childish way (which is NOT a bad thing at all). I just found the way you’ve approached this story is quite different to the others that I’ve read with similar plotlines. You write a lot of descriptive paragraphs and it makes it easy for your readers to picture the scene in front of them.

Gramm.&Spel.


Overall, your English is very good. There are almost no mistakes in your writing and there are definitely no problem in understanding your words. One mistake that I did spot is:

Original Does Sehun's money not enough for you?
Corrected Is Sehun's money not enough for you?

Other than this, there’s really nothing you should be worrying about in terms of grammar and spelling.

Gen.Enjoym.


For me, the thing that I liked the most about your story is your writing style. It’s mature and not childish at all. You’ve conveyed the characters’ feelings through the use of words well, and it really gets into your heart the more you think about those words. However, I didn’t really find your plot to be as appealing as it could have been for me - I guess I’m kind of done with dramatic plots? I don’t really know myself, but this certainly does not mean I don’t like your plot - it’s probably just not my first choice of genre when it comes to choosing something to read. Either way, I really did enjoy reading your work, well done!

 
 
 

Title : 8/10

Description & Foreword: 10/10

Graphics: 9/10

Character Development: 10/10

Appearance : 9/10

Originality & Plot: 6/10

Flow: 10/10

Writing: 10/10

Grammar & Spelling: 9/10

General Enjoyment: 7/10

88 / 100

 
© writerFairy Layouts 2015