B#6 | Against The Time | Angel110

✎ Steph's Bookclub Archive - For All The Completed Reviews -
ZsQDyX7.jpg?1
 

--❏ Steph's Bookclub Reviewshop ❒--

 
poster

Title

Author

Characters

Category

Genre

Status

Against The Time

Angel110

Tao, Kris, some of Exo

Angst, Supernatural

One-Shot

Description

Tao has something that's wanted by a group of people and makes him fear about life and death.

 
 

Title


Although the title is intriguing and does fit the story, it isn’t grammatically correct. (I’m sorry I’m a grammar Nazi) Something like “Us Against Time” or even “Against Time” would be more correct.

Descr.&Forew.


It’s short and sweet, which is good. The use of a rhetorical question also helps to lure the reader in to the story while also giving a sense of what will happen. However, since this is a one-shot, I feel as though you’ve already given away a little too much. Also, the incorrect grammar is a bit of a turn-off, so perhaps replace “of his young life” to “to live”, and the comma to a semi-colon.

Graphics


The poster suits the story very well, and the quote is very effectively placed above the title. It somewhat resembles a movie poster, and I really liked it.

Char. Dev.


I like your portrayal of ZiTao as it’s quite realistic. My only problem with him is that he seems a bit cliche, the tough, almost action-movie badass. To make him more “irl”, I would have included his tendency of being frightened by strange things (insects).

 

Appearance


I think the simple approach is the best, so well done for not making your story too cluttered with images and weird fonts. One thing I would suggest is, for transitions, “Ten hours later” sounds sloppy and a little lazy, and in a fic where the protagonist is supposed to have only 24 hours to live, they probably wouldn’t have the luxury of “ten hours later”.

SBC

Orgin.&Plot


It’s quite difficult to write a creative/original oneshot, I’ll give you that. As I said earlier, to add a more realistic feeling, perhaps you could have tried to incorporate Taoris’ more ‘human’ sides.

 

Flow


The transition of “ten hours later”, as I said, was a little unsatisfying, and the ending felt rather rushed. It was a little anti-climactic to end with a paragraph made of only one line, so to give a more satisfying ending, you could have gone into depth on YiFan’s feelings for ZiTao.

Writing


Your action scenes were fast-paced and well timed. However, I think your choice of words wasn’t that great, for example “Luhan tries it next and lunges his wolf teeth into YiFan’s skin but he whines as it is like biting metal” could have been modified to “Luhan sprints forward, sinking wolf fangs into YiFan’s flesh. It’s like biting metal; Luhan recoils with a pained whine, his face contorted in agony."

Gramm.&Spel.


Your spelling was good, perfect even, but your grammar is what I would work on. In some parts you use commas very liberally, and in other parts I feel like I should be putting a comma between words.

Gen.Enjoym.


In general, I don’t like reading action fics much, simply because it’s very difficult to write well and is therefore written badly. Your action scenes were very well paced, and there was a lot of realism in that front, so congratulations. However, you should work on your choice of words and grammar in order to make your stories even better. My favourite parts were the interactions between characters; the dialogue was very realistic. I think that to engage the reader more, as the end was quite unsatisfactory, go into depth on YiFan’s feelings about ZiTao’s death, or even ZiTao’s feelings about dying now that he’s found YIfan, or regrets. I think that would have made it even better.

 
 
 

Title : 9/10

Description & Foreword: 6/10

Graphics: 10/10

Character Development: 8/10

Appearance : 9.5/10

Originality & Plot: 9/10

Flow: 9/10

Writing: 7/10

Grammar & Spelling: 8/10

General Enjoyment: 6/10

81.5 / 100

 
© writerFairy Layouts 2015