B#4 | Footprints in the snow⎜fefedove

✎ Steph's Bookclub Archive - For All The Completed Reviews -
  • HOME
  • STAFF
  • FORM
  • ARCHIVE
  • BATCH 3
  • BATCH 4
  • HIRING
BTS2

Footprints In The Snow

BTS

MJ

84,5


      /100

fefedove

INFO

C (3 Chpt)

Luhan, Minseok, Yixing

Angst

SUMMARY

Luhan misses Minseok. So, so much.

MikuJae

13/01/2015

SBC Reviewshop
SBC Reviewshop
SBC Reviewshop
 

TITLE

The title fits the story great if you already know it because it has a lot of meaning and a title should have a meaning. It's also not used too often (at least I don't think so, but of course there might be others writing a story also called 'Footprints In The Snow' because it's something you see often in winter so others MIGHT think of this too), but it is very unique if you already know the story, and to me it also sounded interesting and I wanted to read more because it just interested me because footprints in the snow can mean so much and winter can be a really beautiful season to write about.

8,5

DESCRIPTION / FOREWORD

The description doesn't say much about the storyline, but in this case it's really good because sometimes less is more, and the lack of information makes the story mysterious and interesting. Also, a few sentences instead of a lot often have more power over the reader and these sentences managed to catch my eye. Though maybe, a little bit more information than Luhan missing Minseok/Xiumin might be good too. If you already know the story however, it makes more sense and looking back you'll think the description is just perfect, makes sense and says the basic meaning of the story in a short but beautiful way.

9

 

GRAPHICS

The background with the grey sky and the snow falling fits just perfectly, just as the city because this is where the story is set - winter in a city, and the heart fits the storytitle, and I also like how you wrote the storytitle in the middle of the heart (the font looks nice too), and Luhan looking back with a painful and sad expression - perfectly fitting the story idea. Luhan's look also intensifies the angsty impression, the poster leaves in general. However, the heart looks like it's right in front of all the buildings - maybe not an ideal place to confess, but it's okay.

8,5

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT

The characters are portrayed pretty realistic and Luhan's development is also good, the way how he walks around the city that late and how he missses Minseok is really realistic, and I also like the idea of Luhan and Yixing meeting just by coincidence in the late evening, and just talking because that could happen in reality. Luhan also changes a lot, that's clear because I think he used to be a much more cheerful person, maybe even a little immature, but all that changes later. The other characters don't develop of course, but Yixing leaves the impression of a pretty ordinary but thoughtful guy what's perfect for his role, and Minseok... he's a hopeless romantic, really loves Luhan, an artist, but maybe a little too perfect? It's also not a good idea to just not tell Luhan about his illness, but yeah, maybe he just didn't know what to say, that can be true in a situation like this (I've never experienced something like this, I just guess), but still it's not the best decision to just not tell Luhan, and Minseok should have known it.

7

 

APPEARANCE

Perfectly fine and readable, the structure is also completely fine.

9,5

ORIGINALITY / PLOT

Cancer is the topic of quite some stories here on AFF, but the details were unique and they also had lots of effect on the whole story so it's definitely not uncreative, though the story being about looking back on the past could be considered a bit cliche, maybe also meeting in a coffeeshop and telling a complete stranger about his life, but this cliche line usually ends different so it doesn't really count, and sometimes a bit cliche is nothing bad either.

8

 

FLOW

The story flows nice, but maybe too fast. The story is pretty short, so the events happen quite fast, and of course Luhan doesn't remember any too common scenes, but it might be a bit fast, especially because cancer is a difficult topic, and you didn't describe Minseok's suffering with Luhan knowing that detailed. So maybe more details, but aside from that, the general plot was planned well and the order of events was also good.

5,5

WRITING

Your writing is really good and I enjoyed reading it because everything seemed so realistic and imaginable, your choice of words is great (though I don't know if you're a native speaker or not) and the picture of this coffee shop is easy to imagine for me, the city outside, and Luhan lost in his memories while Yixing listens concentrated...

9,5

 

GRAMMAR/SPELLING

I can't remember seeing grammar or spelling mistakes so I guess there were none or close to none.

10

GENERAL ENJOYMENT

I really enjoyed reading it because an angsty oneshot about losing somebody and sad christmas is just something really intersting and I also loved your writing style and how Luhan and Yixing met just by chance, and talked, just talked, while everybody celebreated christmas. Perfect dose of angst.

9

 

COMMENTS AND THOUGHTS + REMINDER

Comments and Thoughts: A really enjoyable short story, but maybe more details and especially more details about Minseok's suffering with having cancer and Luhan suffering with Minseok would be nice, because this would be really heartbreaking for Luhan, and I guess he would tell Yixing so. In general, this was really good and you had lots of good ideas, even the small things were developed well (the confession), and I really liked your writing style ^.^

Reminders:
+Comment if you saw this review.
+Don't forget to add proper credits with the link back to the shop!
Credits to kpop_addict4ever [KA4E] @ Steph's Bookclub Review Shop ©

SBC