B#6 | Ice Dreams | coldlights

✎ Steph's Bookclub Archive - For All The Completed Reviews -
ZsQDyX7.jpg?1
 

--❏ Steph's Bookclub Reviewshop ❒--

 
poster

Title

Author

Characters

Category

Genre

Status

Ice Dreams

coldlights

Bae Joohyun, Kim Jongin, Moon Gayoung, Oh Sehun, Park Chanyeol, Jung Soojung +others

Boy x Girl

Drama, romance, slight angst

Completed (although possible bonus chapter mentioned upcoming)

Description

Bae Joohyun now only has a love, ice skating. She has a best friend, Gayoung, and a 'boyfriend soon to be fiance' Sehun. Despite the problems at home, pressure from her parents and others, all she wants to do is skate. Even with the 'ice queen' Soojung always being annoying and mean. Then someone new comes into her life, Jongin, and hows her life isn't all about winning, winning her heart. With his dark past, he's made a bright future for himself and he enjoys life as it is. In an upcoming competition, will she be victorious? On a partial side point, does Gayoung end up with Chanyeol or will Soojung?

 
 

Title


The title is quite nice and fits the stories theme and plot. The title is very relevant to the story. The title isn't even used in the story once, so no repetition. The title draws the reader in and is nice sounding.

Descr.&Forew.


The forword/description give the readers a taste of what is the come without giving everything away and it makes want the reader to know more. My overview is mainly coming from the author's own description/forward.

Graphics


The poster doesn't fit the story but the author said that she made it herself and isn't a graphic designer and has requested a poster from a shop so it is liable to change.

Char. Dev.


The characters are portrayed in a realistic yet unique way. Bae Joohyun is nowhere near perfect in every way although a plot point is that Soojung is 'supposedly' perfect but again.. not really true. Important characters change as the story goes by, although not terribly. Since the story went fast, there wasn't too much change that occurred. There was a bit, like within Joohyun herself and she was able to even pity Soojung in the end, and loved Jongin and such but not much. There wasn't even a way to dislike Sehun until one point and that was the only point. But it was all done well, so not really complaining.

 

Appearance


The font is on the small side but not enough to bother anyone. The story is quite structured in a clear way so the reader can follow the storyline.

SBC

Orgin.&Plot


The story isn't cliche or uncreative. It has a somewhat typical plot line or love triangle but not cliche typical. I have yet to read another ice skating fanfic, read some books and watched some movies but those aren't the same so... long story short yes this has a new and inventive feeling for a fanfic.

 

Flow


The author convey ideas or words in an enjoyable or understandable way and uses imagery to 'paint a picture' in the story. Not all the time on the imagery but there were clear words and good use of vocabulary.

Writing


The author convey ideas or words in an enjoyable or understandable way and uses imagery to 'paint a picture' in the story. Not all the time on the imagery but there were clear words and good use of vocabulary.

Gramm.&Spel.


There are still a few spelling errors, didn't notice too much grammar errors but no they don't get in the way of reading. They had at the bottom of each chapter when they'd edited it "beta read" as she called it, so there had been others but by the time I read it weren't as many. I'm unsure if the author's first language is English since where they are from is not mentioned on profile.

Gen.Enjoym.


I enjoyed it a lot as I thought it was cute and I like watching figure skating and reading any story about them is interesting. My favorite parts were the ballet moments, the tension between her family, the shopping trip. My least favorite part was the bowling game, simply because of the way Soojung was in it, and the ending, as pertaining to the cliff hanger like bit where you don't know what happens with her mother and if Soojung's family accepts Joohyun. But they were plot devices and therefore not terrible. I'd read more. Utterly. I'd read if there was a sequel or more added it was cute and fitting.

 
 
 

Title : 10/10

Description & Foreword: 10/10

Graphics: 7/10

Character Development: 10/10

Appearance : 9/10

Originality & Plot: 9/10

Flow: 10/10

Writing: 10/10

Grammar & Spelling: 9/10

General Enjoyment: 10/10

94 / 100

 
© writerFairy Layouts 2015