The Exhumation of the Deepest and Darkest Secrets

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

​Tiffany POV

Uncle Vincent Jung's release from prison has been on the news for the past few days. Kim Jongin, Taeyeon's older brother, admitted to the court that he falsified his testimony and forged the evidence about the death of their father, Kim Junsu. He previously testified against Uncle Vincent and framed the latter to blame him for Kim Junsu's death. Now, he decided clear everything up and side with the Jungs. It's kind of a stupid move on his part... Well, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Why? Why the sudden move? If I'm in his shoes, I'd rather just let this slip away. The case was already closed and Uncle Vincent's already sentenced, anyway. Unless he felt guilty from it that, he finally admitted to the sin he had done...

*Sigh*. I don't know... I know I should be thankful for his action but, why do I have this weird feeling that something bad will happen later on?

You see... It was not only me who has been puzzled of the news lately. My father had it worse. He somehow returned to his isolated self ever since the news came out. Good thing my mom had him in check from time to time. I just hope he won't try to fully isolate himself again from us.

 

Nonetheless, today, we're about to meet up with Uncle Vincent and Jessica. Sunkyu, Mom, and Tao were already done prepping up and were just waiting for me and Dad. They settled in the first floor's central living room of the Manor.

"Sorry, I'm late." I snapped as I descend the stairs. "What happened to Dad?"

"He's still in his study room. He said he has to get something to give to your Uncle." Mom answered.

I went closer to her and whispered, "How is he?"

She sighed deeply and answered, "Still the same, in a down mood."

"I don't get it. Why is dad acting like he's depressed? Shouldn't he be thankful and happy instead since Uncle's finally out of prison?"

"It's a complicated matter, Stephanie."

"And you're not planning to tell me anything about it?"

"Alright." She sighed deeply, "I'll tell you about it some other time but, here's the thing. There are some facts mentioned from the case that caught your father's attention. That's why he's too much in turmoil right now."

"Was it about Kim Junsu being the real killer of Yuri's parents?"

She looked away, "Y-yes... But, it's a complicated matter. Let's not talk about this time, okay? There are a good time and place for that."

"Oh-- Okay..."

A few minutes later, Dad was finally ready. "Sorry, I took too long."

"Alright. Everyone's present." Mom snapped. "Shall we?"

Sunkyu wandered his eyes around, "Aren't Yoong-appa gonna come with us too? I thought he'll be joining us."

I answered, "He already went to the restaurant ahead. His place is much nearer there, anyway."

Dad suddenly interrogated him, "And why are you still calling Yoong your appa? He's no longer dating your mother."

"He's been my appa for five years, halapoji. There's nothing wrong if I still call him appa now."

Dad then sighed loudly, "Don't get your hopes up on your umma choosing the right man again instead of your real father. Your umma's that much stupid, you know." He started to head out.

"Yah, Dad!" I shouted in a complaint. "How many times should I tell you I'm not gonna get back together with Yuri?!"

"Yeah, yeah, that's very convincing, Steph."

 

And yeah, dad continued to rant about my decision to break up with Yoong as we travel to the meeting place. Yes, yes, until now it's still a big deal for my parents, especially with my dad. His dream of having more grandchildren was the main reason why. Well... I doubt if I will ever have more children... It'll just be Sunkyu's responsibility to continue our bloodline...

Goodness... I forgot he wasn't my real son... *Sigh*. No wonder, dad never really let this go...

 

---

 

We arrived at the parking lot of the restaurant. Yoong was there standing as if waiting for us. As we got out of the car, he quickly bowed at my parents.

"Drop the formalities, Yoong." Mom snapped. "Just act as is."

"Y-yes, Miss Elise. Thank you."

She sighed loudly, "Feel free to still call us mom and dad. We sure don't mind."

"Yes." Dad seconded. "You're already like our son, anyway."

"I--" He quickly bowed at them again. "Thank you! Thank you for still welcoming me in your family."

Dad then uttered, "Alright. We're taking too long here, we're keeping them wait for too long." With that, Tao, mom, and Kyu followed him to the entrance of the restaurant. Yoong purposely led our walking at a slower pace than the others. Well, it ended up with them getting inside the restaurant too much earlier than us.

"Tiff, should I really join this lunch gathering?"

"Why? What's wrong?"

"Well... I don't know... I think I'll just feel left out?"

I chuckled, "You won't be. I bet you'll be one of the main subjects of conversations later on, anyway."

"Tiff..." He looked at me boringly.

"Relax, okay. Uncle Vincent's a very nice guy."

"Yeah, right, but, I don't think he's gonna like me."

"And why is it so?"

"I don't know..."

"Don't be scared. It's about time for you to meet your future father-in-law, anyway. Don't worry. I told Jessica you'll be joining so I'm sure she already gave a heads up to Uncle Vincent." I tapped his shoulder. "This is your time to prove to him you're worthy of his daughter. Come on! Where's the overly confident Yoong? Summon him now, you gotta need him"

He sighed loudly, "My overly conceited self will surely be the one to jeopardize my image on him..."

"Stop being pessimistic. Think positive! Fighting!"

 

---

 

We arrived at the restaurant. Mom, dad, Tao, and Sunkyu were already seated along with Uncle Vincent and Jessica. They seemed to be happily chatting of something. Although, as soon as Uncle Vincent finally noticed Yoong's presence, his mood somewhat changed drastically into fury.

"I told you this is a bad idea." Yoong whispered to me while flashing a fake grin at everyone else.

"Shut up. Be a good boy and greet him." As we finally went near the table, I greeted. "Hello, Uncle Vincent, Jessica. Sorry, we're sort of late."

Uncle went back to his good mood as he smiled and stood up to greet me, "Oh, Stephanie!" He went towards me and gave me a bear hug. Then, he held me in my forearms, "You've become a very, very beautiful woman. Much more beautiful than my daughter."

I giggled, "Thanks, Uncle."

"Yah! Dad!" Jessica complained.

"What? I did not say you're not beautiful."

She looked at her father boringly, "I am your daughter, okay!"

"But, I can't just deny the truth that Stephanie has grown so beautiful, you know."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever." She stood up and gave me a hug as she greeted, "Hi, bestie."

"Hey there." as we broke away, I whispered, "Your father seemed to have not changed on teasing you, huh?"

She rolled her eyes, "I know, right."

Afterwards, hers and Yoong's eyes finally met. They flashed warm smiles to each other. And to erase the little awkwardness, Yoong greeted Uncle, "G-good day, Sir Vincent Jung." He gave a full bow to the older guy and smiled warmly, "It's so great to finally meet you."

"And what's so great about it?" Uncle Vincent asked bluntly.

"Dad." Jessica complained again.

Uncle ignored her and continued to ask, "Who are you again?"

"I-- uhhmmm--- I'm Im Yoong, sir. I'm a friend of your daughter."

"Just a friend?"

"Y-yes."

"That's clear, okay? You are just a friend and nothing else and nothing more will be, am I right?"

"I... I uhhmmm---"

I quickly snapped, "Why don't we take a seat? I think the food's about to serve, anyway."

"Alright. I'm kind of starving already, anyway." Then, he joked darkly, "If this goes on, I can definitely eat someone alive right now! Hahahahah!" Yup, that had Yoong gulped nervously in return. Oh. He seemed to be sweating hard now too.

So, apparently, since we occupied a table for eight persons, there's only two seats left on both sides, one beside Jessica and the other with Sunkyu. Well... It'll be kind of weird if I don't take a seat beside my son, so yeah, Yoong left with no choice but to sit beside Jessica. And, as a result, a very uncomfortable aura has emitted within Uncle Vincent.

Seriously, I don't know what the heck Uncle Vincent knew about Yoong but, he really does seem to hate Yoong so much. It's kind of a hatred that's making everyone uncomfortable. Hmmm. I wonder what it is...

 

As the meal was served, the conversation has started. Uncle firstly snapped, "Wow. Look at how big your family has become, Jae. Before, it's only you, Elise, and Stephanie."

Dad chuckled, "Yeah. I just realized it's hard to raise a big family, though."

Mom suddenly butted, "You're not raising anyone at all, Jae. They're all adults already. Sunkyu's just a few years away to adulthood too." With that, she just earned a glare from dad.

Uncle chuckled, "And you two never changed. Always bickering and arguing on petty things... Anyways, any news between you two that I'm not aware of for the past eleven years?"

"Well... We remarried in Vegas just last year..." Mom responded.

Dad sighed loudly, "I had no choice on that, though, hyung."

She glared at him, "Do you really want me to splash this hot soup on your face?"

He laughed loudly and consoled mom through a sweet hug, "Oh. Come on. I was just kidding."

"Hmpf. Shut up."

Uncle smiled warmly at he stared at the two. Then, he uttered, "I'm happy that you two are finally okay. Having a healthier relationship, I meant to say."

"You call this healthy, hyung?" Dad chuckled as he went back to his original position. "There's no single hour of the day that Elise won't find a reason to rant on me."

"Oh. You know women... Menopause." Uncle said and they both laughed loudly.

"Yah, oppa!" Mom shouted. "I'm not yet in my menopausal stage, okay!"

"But, you're getting there." And the two old men shared a laugh again. Uncle earned a glare from mom as well. He then calmed down and continued, "Oh. Come on, Elise. It's a natural thing."

Mom sighed loudly, "Alright. Alright. Enough of me, already. I think that's pretty much what you've only missed for the last eleven years, oppa. Well, except for me stepping down from my companies and let Stephanie handle them all singlehandedly."

Dad added proudly, "I did the same thing. And after that, it's all nothing but stress-free life for me and my wife. We've been traveling all over the world together since Stephanie took over HGC."

Uncle responded a chuckle, "That sure is a very, very wise move, Jae, Elise. Perhaps, if the tragedy in my family didn't happen, I would have done the same thing and let Jessica handle all the work." Then, the three oldies shared a laugh again.

Jessica butted boringly, "That's basically what happened, anyway, dad. I was left alone, remember? You got imprisoned... Mom DIED..."

...

Yup. it was a sudden blow of icy wind because of Jessica's somewhat dark response to her father.

...

Dad then cleared his throat loudly as he opened another topic, "So, how was prison-life, hyung?"

"Hmmm. It was awesome. I got a chance to bully everyone in prison. I'm Anseong's number one, the strongest, FYI. But, yeah, aside from the gang wars and such, it was hella boring. It was only entertaining for me when this kid right here came along." He pointed at Tao who was seated by his side. "Oh, and my godson, too." He chuckled. "Yuri, I mean to say."

"I see... Did Tao give you a hard time?"

"Nah. I'm always used to pesky brats."

Tao then complained, "Yah. Pops. I never did try to get on your nerves the time when I'm still in Anseong, it was Yuri-hyung who made fun of you all the time."

"Yeah, right. You've been his sidekick on pulling off pranks on me, anyway." he said then chuckled.

"I was just following his orders, okay."

Uncle responded sarcastically, "Oh, yes, yes. And even with that stupid prison escape too, right?"

Dad snapped in, "Karma had hit him back, anyway. His sentence got lengthened because of his recklessness."

Uncle sighed loudly, "Yeah... It sure was a mess... These kids sure act recklessly all the time. That boy never really grew up.... Tsk, tsk..." He seemed to be gotten immersed in his thoughts, though. Probably, the boy he's pertaining to was Yuri.

After he snapped out, he then noticed my son, "So, how are you, kid?"

Sunkyu awkwardly responded, "Uhhmmm... I'm okay. But, uhmm, s-sir-- I'm not a kid anymore, by the way."

"Call him baby Sunkyu, dad." Jessica snapped and chuckled.

Kyu glared at her and complained, "Yah, Sica-umma. You're embarrassing me."

Uncle continued to smile at my son warmly as he continued, "Yeah, you're no longer a kid. You've really grown up now. How old are you again?"

"I just turned Fifteen."

"Oh. Fifteen. Yes, yes... Last May, right? Yuri told me about it." He sighed. "Seriously, I remember you were still this small back then." He acted out a foot-space with his hands.

Kyu looked at him in confusion, "So, we uhhmmm-- have already met before?"

"Oh. Yes. Yes. I visited your father back then. I guess it was fourteen years ago."

"Oh. I see..."

"Tsk. Tsk. Too bad you didn't meet your other grandparents as well."

"Y-yeah, Yuri-appa told me about them dying even before I was born. It was unfortunate..."

"Hmm. Actually, they died exactly on May 15."

That had me and Sunkyu in shock. My mom and dad bore the same look too. The fact might have never crossed their minds. Nevertheless, with that, dad's mood suddenly went down again.

"M-my other grandparents died e-exactly w-when I was born?" Sunkyu stutteringly repeated in question.

"Yes." Uncle sighed deeply, "It was an accident. Fire."

"I... I see..."

...

...

"By the way, Yuri transfer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter