The Rite of Acceptance of the Inescapable Fate

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri POV

The chairs and decorations were set up but not even a single person was inside the wedding venue. "Are we in the wrong place?" Sooyoung asked rhetorically as we all went inside. Hyoyeon didn't flinch and just remained standing where she was.

"It could be a Yoong-hyung's doing." Tao said. "You know that guy. He always has some weird stuff inside his head."

Tiffany walked a few steps towards the isle then asked, "Hyoyeon, where are the other guests?"

"..."

"Hyoyeon!"

"I don't know!" Hyoyeon said quickly then buried her face in her palms. Sooyoung attended to his wife and embraced her to calm her down.

I went near Tiffany and placed my hand on her shoulder, "Hey, calm down. There's gotta be an explanation for this."

"The invitations." She gazed at me. "Jessica ordered Yoong to send those out. Maybe, he didn't."

"Damn it." I hissed. "That guy. Probably, he didn't try to open the invitation card."

Mom then said to Hyoyeon, "Dear, we need you to help us understand. Please. Tell us what's going on here."

Aunt Elise added, "Tell us who ordered you for this. Maybe we can still salvage the situation."

Before Hyoyeon could even have the opportunity to answer back, Jessica arrived at the entrance. Like the rest of us, she and Uncle Vincent wore quite a shock on their faces. "Where are the others?" Uncle asked. Jessica, still shocked, couldn't even other a word and only had her eyes widened as if still processing what she was seeing. Uncle led her inside by her forearm. "Did we communicate to the guests the correct schedule?" he asked.

No one could answer his question.

Yet, moments later. Jessica finally uttered, "Where is Yoong?"

Another tough question and no one could also respond to her. Slowly, she had herself occupy one of the empty seats. She was lifelessly staring at the floor. Tiffany and Hyoyeon went to console her. "He called me." Hyoyeon said and got all of our attention. "He ordered me not to tell anyone no guests will be coming today and also... he asked me to lock the entrance. He told me not to tell anyone about it."

Tiffany sighed loudly, "Gee, Hyoyeon. Why did you even agree on that?!"

"Cus he said he got something. I thought it was for a surprise or anything so I agreed with his plan. I've been waiting too and until now I am not sure where he is."

Jessica started to get teary. She asked in a cracked voice, "Did I go too far on my prank?" Tiffany didn't respond and just sat beside her, trying to console her best friend by rubbing her backside. Jessica continued, "I deliberately told him. I already did. Like even during our suit and gown fitting. It was like he didn't even react to it. He acted as if we're not getting married at all."

Again, no one could respond to her. A long silence seeped in. Eventually, Taeyeon finally uttered, "This could be a counter-prank." He went closer to her. He pulled another chair, positioned it in front of hers, and sat down. "Yoong could be just around the corner and pull off another silly prank of his. Cheer up."

"Do you really think so?"

"Yes. He'll be really stupid not to marry a pretty woman like you."

Jessica pouted, "Shut up. You're saying that cheer me up."

He chuckled, "Sort of... But really... I think you shouldn't worry."

"Why is he doing this, though?"

"Well... it could be he found out about your silly plan and decided to outdo yours. You know how much that guy wants to be the best in everything."

Jessica finally smiled. "Thanks." Yet, she still looked saddened and unconvinced. "This still feels different, though... I mean... He wouldn't go this far to fool me..."

...

"Right?"

...

"Does he not want to marry me?"

"I do." someone uttered near the wedding arch. It was groom, Yoong, in a suit. "I do wanna marry you."

"Yoong." Jessica said as she stood. A little smile was drawn on her face. She took a few steps closer until they were about a few spaces away.

He went closer and held her hand. "It has always been my dream to marry you. It has always been the same since the moment I met you." He held her hand. "That is what I want. That is what I dream."

...

"But that is not what you want."

"Wh-what are you talking about?" she asked.

Yoong smiled back faintly. "The very moment you announced you're getting married, that's when I already knew you planned to marry me. It was just a hint in my mind, though. But I was not really sure at first actually. It was only until you literally dragged me to places." he said then chuckled. "To be honest, I would really love to be pranked on my wedding day. This plan is too cool. Thank you."

"Yoong. Stop. Why are you being like this?"

"As I said, this is not what you want." He smiled again. "You are a mind reader. You know what I'm talking about. In fact, I know you know all along about all of this."

"How could you assume what I want and not? This is what I want, okay."

"No. You don't want this."

"N--"

He immediately cut her out, "I may not know what you're thinking, but at least I can feel what you really feel."

"..."

"I know you're still denying it inside. But I think you should know by now what your heart really screams."

Jessica didn't anymore respond and started to sob softly.

He then asked, "Can I at least see that beautiful face? Just to see what I will be regretting of not marrying for the rest of my life?" She didn't answer. He proceeded and removed the veil covering Jessica's face. A bitter smile formed on his lips. "Yeah, I think I will regret this for the rest of my life... or even in after-life."

"I love you." she said while tears fell from her eyes.

"I know. And I love you too."

"Then stop being a jerk and let's just get married!" she shouted and slapped him on the chest.

"No."

She continued to slap him on the chest as she cried harder. "I love you and you love me back. What the hell is wrong with you, Yoong?! You know this is what is right!"

He caught her hands. "Yes, I can't disagree with that. We are so right for each other."

"Are we going to argue about this over and over again?!"

"No. Because there's nothing to argue on what you said. It's just that..."

"It's just that what?!"

"I am not who you want."

"..."

"I am not really who you want."

"..."

Yoong took a deep breath and smiled. "There. I said it. Loud and straight."

"You are a jerk." she cried. "I already chose you. Why are you making this hard for both of us?!"

"That's the thing... If you really want this, why does still there have to be a decision to be made? Why there are still choices?"

Jessica loosened the grip on her fists. Yoong felt it and lowered their hands. He intertwined his hands with hers. Then, tears started to fall from Yoong's eyes. He uttered, "This is also hard for me, Jessica. I love you. I really do. But I don't want to hold you back anymore."

"..."

"I'm letting you go."

The rest started to leave the venue slowly. It seemed they now realized there will really be no wedding that's going to happen today. Afterward, it was only me and Tiffany who were left. She was already teary too. I approached her and whispered, "We should leave them alone." She nodded and accepted my hand. We both walked away. We found Yoong and Jessica embracing as we closed the door.

 

The older generation was already gone from the hallway. "Where are Uncle Vincent and the others?" I asked.

"They all just proceeded to the hotel bar to console Uncle out." Tao answered. "Uncle Jung seemed to be sad 'cus he's starting to think his baby daughter will never get married."

"I see." I then noticed someone else missing. "Where is Taeyeon, though?"

Sooyoung responded, "He left way, way long before we did. He said he'll just be getting a breather outside."

Hyoyeon groaned loudly, "Yoong's really a ing jerk! Is he really stupid on doing this?!"

"But he's not wrong." Tiffany said. "If she really wants him, why there is still a choice to make?"

"Life is always about decisions."

"You married Sooyoung without a question of choice."

"Well..." Hyoyeon sighed, "I don't have another choice."

"What do you mean another choice?!" Sooyoung shouted complainingly. "Do you want another choice?! Huh?! MY WIFE?!" He suddenly groaned and winced from the pain. His anger somewhat triggered his sprain.

"No! I didn't mean that! It's just that-- I mean, I never fell in love with anyone else aside from you!"

"That is exactly my point, Hyoyeon." Tiffany said. "If I am in her shoes and I got two equal choices, I---" she suddenly stopped and finally realized. "Wait. I had two... And I..."

Hyo responded, "You and Yoong did have a choice to make back then."

"And we almost proceeded with what we thought was 'right'."

"Now, I get it."

I chuckled, "If Sunny is still alive, she's probably laughing so hard how silly you two sounded. Your thoughts are running in circles over and over." Yup. A reminder of our late friend bummed the atmosphere. Now they all became gloomy.

Sunkyu sighed deeply, "I miss Sunny-noona. Because of her, I learned so many things about... the wonders of the world."

"Like what exactly?!" Tiffany and I interrogated.

"Oh. Was I saying that out loud?" Sunkyu faked a chuckle. "I think I should check up on the oldies." He quickly ran away. "Bye appa! Bye umma! Bye, everyone!"

Tao then mumbled as he grinned sheepishly, "Wonders of the world... Oh boy. Awesome times."

"Tao." Tiffany said in a darker tone. He realized the glares he was getting from me and Fany. Thus, he ran away too. "Sunkyu, wait for me!"

Tiffany looked at me, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Stop. I don't even want to think about that now. Let's just park it and never talk about it again."

Sooyoung then suddenly uttered while animatingly rubbing his chin, "You know, this argument on the triangle situation, I see a loophole in it." He squinted his eyes. "You see... Jessica is having doubts about marrying Yoong because she got another choice. But what if... it was the other way around? What if she's supposed to marry Taeyeon now, won't she still have doubts too since there is still Yoong as her other choice?"

"Damn that sure is tricky." Tiffany mumbled. The two girls began to think thoroughly along with Sooyoung too.

I butted, "Are we seriously going to continue gossip over the three right here, right now?"

"It's not like we've not been doing this for the past years." Sooyoung said and they all shared a chuckle. "It never changed. Those three are always a hot topic."

"At least, we should have some decency. Take note, the two who you are gossiping about are there inside. Probably, they could still hear us."

"There's no decency in gossiping, FYI." Hyoyeon grinned at me.

"And you know that is not something for you to proudly grin about."

Tiffany then rolled her eyes, "Oh come on, hubby. It's not like you don't enjoy gossiping about them too. I know you already got something there inside your head about this triangle situation."

I sighed loudly, "Fine. You wanna know my opinion? Jessica always tells me how Yoong is the only one who could read her thoughts. Not anyone could be as accurate as him when it comes to figuring out Jessica. That's all I can say."

"So, you're saying... my bestie didn't really want to marry him?" Tiffany rhetorically asked. "We've been talking countless times about her situation with those two guys and she always told me it's Yoong."

"As I said, no one's really close to figuring out Jessica except for Yoong."

Hyoyeon butted, "Doesn't that fact make them more perfect for each other? It's like he's the only one that could understand her or something."

Sooyoung butted, "Nah. I think Taeyeon can do, too. That guy is always just being aloof and quiet. He probably never showed Jessica he understood her all the time or something."

The two girls looked quite confused about what Sooyoung is trying to say. But he'd chosen not to explain further. I do understand his reason, though, and it's about the sensitivity of the situation. All over the years, Taeyeon has gone like a phantom, secretly guarding Jessica against any possible harm. And his last action to completely wiped out the threats on her life... even led him to renounce his freedom.

It then made me realize that the old Taeyeon, the one I first met many years ago, I guess he never really left. All these years, he has only been hiding behind the mask he made up. The aloof and quiet Taeyeon has always been there.

 

 

---

 

 

It took an hour or two when finally Jessica and Yoong were done talking. We all went inside the venue to console the two. Yet, Yoong decided to leave the hotel to give Jessica some space. I accompanied him on his way out.

"Are you sure about this decision of yours?" I asked him as we walked out.

"Yes, hyung. A hundred percent sure."

"No backing out, okay. I don't want you playing with Jessica's feelings again and decide to take her back."

He chuckled, "Don't worry. I am not gonna back out from this decision of mine. You have my word, hyung."

"You are an idiot."

"Nah. I think this is a smart decision."

"You better go hide for a short while after this, though. My mom texted me and Uncle Vincent seemed to be really disappointed with the outcome of this wedding."

"Oh, man. I am literally going to be double dead even before the year ends." He said and we both shared a laugh. "But, I will really be out for a while. Probably go on vacation for a week or less."

"Do what's best for you. Make it longer if you have to."

"Yes. But I need to get back quickly. I need to do something about Taeyeon-hyung's sentence. The government is ridiculous for giving him seven years in jail despite him eliminating the most wanted serial killer in the country."

"Don't worry about it. We're all working on it. I'm sure it will get lowered."

"I hope so too."

"If not, then you just led Jessica to a depressive seven years."

"Shut up, hyung. Stop guilting me out."

I chuckled, "You saw right through me."

 

As we reached the hotel entrance, Taeyeon appeared and was rushing towards Yoong. He grabbed the latter by the collar. "Are you ing stupid, huh?!" he shouted at Yoong. "Are you ing insane?!"

"No. I am completely in the right state of mind, hyung."

"Didn't you say you're gonna make Jessica happy?!"

"I did."

"You promised me you're gonna give her a perfect life! Are you breaking your promise now?!"

"That's the thing, hyung... I can make her happy, yes... But, truly happy?" Yoong smiled faintly. "...I don't think I ever will." That made Taeyeon lose his grip on him.

"..."

"Hyung. You know she loves you."

"..."

"She loves you more than me."

"That is not true."

"Stop pushing her away."

"I am not. You're the one pushing her away!"

"Because I have to. You are both really..." He breathed deeply then smiled. "Stubborn." He then chuckled, "All these years, I realized you two are exactly the same. Always hides away. Always deny or even ignore what is exactly in front of you, despite the obviousness. That is why since we were all reunited two years ago, I have this hesitation about me and Jessica. I thought it was just a simple doubt and it would go away in time, but... I was wrong."

"I... I can't make her happy. I could only give her pain and struggle." Taeyeon said as he looked away. His eyes were becoming teary. "Have you forgotten I will be jailed for seven years?"

"Come on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter