A Flight to Returning Affections

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri POV

*3am-February-27-2017-an-hour-before-the-flight-to-Singapore-for-2017-Asia-Business-Summit-Conference*

I cannot believe this... for freaking real... I really cannot believe this...

"I'm really so sorry, Yuri--- aaa-- achoo!!!" She immediately wiped her nose with the tissue on top of the bedside table.

Yeah, right. Freaking just in time for our flight to Singapore. *Sigh*. Apparently, Jessica acquired cold and fever for some unknown reason. Well, it didn't even rain yesterday and the winter season already ended weeks ago.

I uttered back, "It's okay. It's not like it's your fault you got sick. Where did you go yesterday, anyway? What did you do? You were not yet sick when you left in the morning."

"Err-- uhhmmm... I just happened to stumble with a former colleague of mine." Then, she had herself quickly lied down on the bed. "Ugghhh...  I feel so sick..."

"Okay... Are you sure you're okay by yourself then, huh? You know, I can just cancel on this."

"Yuri-yah. How many times should I tell you I don't want to hinder your career growth? I'll be okay. Remember, I took care of my injured self for a year on my own. Take note of that aa-- achoo!"

"Oh. Alright. Alright." I sighed and went near her.

I was about to kiss her on the forehead when she immediately halted, "No, no! Don't! You might get sick too. Take vitamins before you go, okay."

"Okay. I'll be going now. Call me if something happens."

"Okay. Take care. Enjoy your boring conference."

I chuckled, "I'll try. I love you."

"Love you too."

*Sigh*. It seems that I really have no choice but to go... Oh well... At least, Sooyoung's coming along too.

 

 

---

 

 

"Wow." Stephanie uttered in so much fascination as she looked at Sooyoung's private jet. "I didn't know he owns such thing, as in for real."

I snapped, "Hyoyeon bought this for him as a gift for his birthday last year."

"Really? Damn that guy... and he didn't even tell me, Yoong nor Sunny about this?"

"I think during that time, they were having a petty fight because of the Bahamas as what Hyoyeon told me. She said he never really used this jet until just now, actually."

"I see... So, uhh, this is also a product of your company, right?"

"Yup. This is another model, Stellar SK500. Much smaller aircraft than Fantasia SH800."

"Ah. I see..."

We went up through the air stair. We settled on the seats in the cabin. It was then another awkward minute of silence.

 

...

 

Alright. Now, where's Sooyoung?

 

Hmmm... He's probably in the bedroom or in the restroom...

 

...

 

The door finally closed and the stewardess requested for us to take our seat belts on. The plane's now ready for taking off.

Now, I got a very, very bad feeling about this...

 

...

 

After the plane took off smoothly and the seatbelt sign turned off, the stewardess started to attend to our needs. I immediately asked her, "Excuse me, where's Sooyoung?" Stephanie looked eagerly over the stewardess like waiting for her answer too.

"Err--uhhmmm... Sir, Master Sooyoung's not here."

"WHAT?!?!?!!!!!!!" we both shouted in complete disbelief.

"What do you mean he's not here?!" Stephanie continued to ask.

"Master Sooyoung said that he won't be flying with you for today."

I asked, "So, he'll be coming to Singapore but on a separate flight, right?"

"Err--- that, I don't know, Sir. But he left a video message for the both of you that he just sent me before we took off."

The stewardess then played a video on the LCD display in front of us. The video showed Sooyoung staring straight at the camera. "Hello my dear friends, Yuri and Tiffany. Yeah, I won't be including Jessica anymore since you just texted me minutes ago that she won't be able to tag along, Yuri." He briefly showed his phone then afterwards put it away again. "So, anyway... I know, by the time you two will be watching this, you are already on your way to Singapore via my private jet." He chuckled. "Yes, yes. For as much as possible, I want everything to be at your utmost convenience on your way to the venue of the 2017 Annual Business Summit Conference."

"Damn it, Sooyoung! How could you ditch us?!" I shouted despite knowing he wouldn't get to hear me.

"Now, let me guide you to the features of my private jet. The restroom is on the front... then..." Yup, he continued on explaining all the parts of the plane while he shows up printed pictures for visual aid. Then, lastly, he emphasized, "So, I have guided you to the bathroom, kitchen, dining, main cabin, etcetera, etcetera... Now... for the most important part..."

He then looked straight at the camera while wearing a very serious expression. "The bedroom...

     You are two of my best of friends. You're both special to me. BUT! The bedroom is totally, TOTALLY off-limits. I really do mean it, Yuri, Tiffany. When I say off-limits, IT'S OFF-LIMITS! Don't ever do something crazy in there, I tell you! I know you know what I'm talking about!"

Stephanie then shouted in so much annoyance, "And what do you think we'll be doing in there, idiot?!"

Sooyoung went back to his calmed and bland expression. "Look. I know, I know. I'm not making any sense and I am so much aware you two aren't together anymore. But... I'm just making sure. I love my other friends too who you two are currently dating, Yoong and Jessica, specifically. I love them so much and I don't want them to get hurt. But, yeah, that's not really what I'm trying to emphasize with you guys. The thing is, the bedroom is really just off-limits for crazy things. You two can sleep but only one at a time, okay! Anyway, please... hold your hormones, I'm begging you!"

She sighed loudly and whined, "Just freaking tell us why you're not here, Sooyoung!"

And, yeah, coincidentally, he started to explain, "So, anyways, I know you two are wondering why I'm not there with you..."

I shouted, "You should have started the video with that, you er!"

"Well... You see... in two days time, it will be mine and Hyoyeon's fourth year anniversary. So... are you two now picking up where I'm coming from?" He sighed loudly. "Look. Please understand why I ditched you. As much as I wanted to go to that boring conference with you guys, I really can't. I need to prepare a surprise for my love and yeah..." He sighed again. "I'm planning to propose to her at the same time too. It will really be a great favor if you guys forgive me on this with no hesitations. I will really owe you big time for this. Really... I'm sorry.

     I know, Tiff, I promised you. But, seriously, I didn't break it, okay. I told you, 'I promise I will not allow you to be alone there' and not 'I promise I will be there with you'. See? So, technically speaking, I held on to my promise and got Yuri to accompany you instead of me."

He then smiled annoyingly. "And for you, my buddy, Kwon Yuri. You are the best. With that, you're already seven points ahead of Yoong and Taeyeon on your competition in becoming my best man in my wedding. I love you, man. Again, thank you so much for this...

     So, I guess that's it. I think I have already mentioned everything important... Good luck and have fun there, guys. Good luck to me too. Smell ya laters!"

And the video shut into a black screen.

 

...

 

...

 

...

 

"Err-- uhmmm..." the stewardess awkwardly snapped. "I will be heading back to my post, sir and ma'am. If you two will need anything, please don't hesitate to call me through the voice transmitter right there on the side of your seats." She then bowed at us then left.

 

...

 

...

 

A-W-K-W-A-R-D

 

...

 

...

 

"S-so... uhhmmm... I guess this is it. It's going to be uhm... just the two of us who'll be heading to the conference then." I uttered, though turned up sounding awkward. No Jessica... Definitely, no Sooyoung either. *Sigh*.

"Y-yeah..." she responded. I took a brief glance at her. She looked nervous and was just staring over nothingness.

I snapped again to break the ice, "So... uhhh... h-have you already booked a hotel there?"

"Uhhmmm... d-didn't Sooyoung say he already booked rooms for us?"

"R-really? He did?"

"Y-yeah..."

"I see..."

"..."

"..."

She then asked, "So uhhhmmm... why Jessica couldn't make it?"

"Oh. She has a fever and cold. She was okay yesterday morning. Yet, by night, she's already quite not feeling well. This early morning, her state gotten worse."

"Ahh, I see... Well, I guess there's an epidemic spreading nowadays, eh?"

"There is?"

"Yeah? Yoong suffered from fever and cold too since last Saturday. He got it from his out-of-the-country business trip. He just happened to recover from it now, though."

"Oh... So, just Yoong?"

"Yeah?"

"How can that be called an epidemic if there's just the two of them who has it?"

"I don't know... Hey. Don't make it sound like I'm stupid or something. I just gave my hunch..."

"Hmmm..."

"..."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure. What is it?"

"Were you together with Yoong yesterday?"

"Uhh-- just in the morning when he visited me at the manor."

"Well, did he happen to go somewhere in the afternoon?"

"Err--- at our condominium unit?"

"Ahh. I see..." I briefly glanced at her again and found that she's already staring at me intently with her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "What?" I asked.

She then shrugged it off and looked away. "N-nothing..."

"Oh... Okay..."

And, yeah... our flight for Singapore ended up with a very, very, awkward moment of silence. I even decided to sleep in just to avoid this but, I couldn't. I guess so she was too. *Sigh*. With more or less than six hours of flight, we're already like this. What more in the coming days?

 

---

 

From the airport to the cab, to the hotel lobby, and up to in the hallway of our hotel rooms, Stephanie and I never even started a single conversation. Yup, it was until we went inside our own hotel rooms. But then, afterwards, we realized...

"CONNECTING ROOMS?!?!?!" the both of us shouted in horror as soon as we saw each other through the opened connecting door.

Arghh-- freaking damn it... SOOOOYOOOOUUUNNGGGG!!!!!!!

"I'm gonna change rooms." she snapped and immediately, she shut the connecting door.

I quickly dialed for Sooyoung's number. Yet, I couldn't contact him at all. I'm just being redirected to the mailbox. *Sigh*. Damn that guy. Really...

I went to knock on the connecting door and called her, "Stephanie?"

She opened it and answered, "Yeah?"

"Sooyoung's not answering his phone."

"Hyoyeon's not answering either." She sighed loudly, "And the hotel manager said there's no other available room for this day and until the next four days."

"I see... Don't worry. I'll just transfer to another hotel then. I think I can still find one today."

"Oh. Okay..."

"Or maybe..."

"..."

I looked away and continued, "We can just shut this door tightly always, as in all the time?" I happened to scratch the back of my head to ease my embarrassment.

"Y-yeah, we can do that." She then faked a chuckle. "I mean, it's just a door, anyway."

"R-right."

"S-so uhhmm... I'll be closing this now, okay? As in permanently."

She was about to shut it again when I halted, "Wait."

"What?"

"So, you're the one who's gonna keep the key?"

"N-no. I'm going to hand this to the hotel staff, of course."

"Alright. I'm just making sure."

She looked at me with narrowed eyes, "Oh. So you think I'm gonna take advantage of you, zombie?"

"Uhhmm-- maybe?"

She forced a somewhat insincere smile. "Oh. I'm sorry but I won't be fueling your fantasy anymore, ert." And she shut the door again forcefully. I heard it locked too.

I chuckled and snapped from the door, "Just to remind you, Stephanie, I'm off-limits!"

"!" she shouted back.

 

 

 

We have an hour more before the conference starts. So, with that, I decided to take a quick shower. Afterwards, I also decided to lie down for a while, still with my towel on, though. I'd rather not have my clothes crumpled as I take a little rest. Anyway, perhaps, I'll try to contact my fiancé too.

After four or five rings, she finally answered, "H-hello?"

"Hey, wife." I greeted.

"Yuri-yah? How are you? Did you arrive safely?"

"Err-- yeah. Didn't you get my message earlier?"

"Oh. Did you send one? I'm sorry, I didn't see it right away. I snoozed off."

I chuckled, "It's fine. Are you feeling okay now? Still sick?"

"Yeah..."

"Still at home, right?"

"Yes. Where do you think will I go?"

"Well... I don't know... hospital? But, I just want to make sure so just in case something happens, of course, I can get someone to attend to you."

She giggled, "Awwww-- you really are so sweet, aren't you?"

"Of course, I am."

"Anyway, are you and Tiff enjoying the conference already?"

"No, we're still at the hotel--- wait. How did you know it's only me and Steph who are here? I forgot to mention you that on my message earlier."

"Oh... uhhhmmm... "

"Did Sooyoung tell you?"

"Yes, yes." she quickly answered. "Sooyoung told me about it." She then chuckled.

"Oh. I see... Anyway, if you get to contact Sooyoung, can you tell him to call or give me a message immediately?"

"Okay, sure."

"Alright. I'll be going to get ready now. Bye, Sica. Take care. I love you."

"You too. Bye, I love you too."

I waited for her to hung up first. Yet, she didn't. Perhaps, she thought I'll be the one doing it first. Nevertheless, I heard her conversing with someone. "Did they arrive safely?" a man uttered who seemed to be a little far from her.

"Yeah... You're right. Tiff wasn't fooling around on saying Sooyoung really did ditch them."

The man sighed loudly. He seemed to have gotten nearer, "So, did he say anything else?"

"Well, all he said they're still in the hotel."

"Ah. I see..."

"Have you contacted Sooyoung yet?"

"Nope. That idiot's unreachable and so is Hyoyeon-noona too."

"They're probably already in the Bahamas with their daughter. Hyoyeon told me she'll be heading there with Hyoyoung for this week. Probably, that's where Soo decided to fly instead."

"Yeah..." He sighed again. "Anyway... I'm sorry again."

She chuckled, "What are you sorry for?"

"That I got you infected with flu."

"No, it's okay. It's uhhmmm... not really your fault, anyway..."

He chuckled, "Not my fault? Really?"

"I got a poor immune system."

He laughed loudly, "Right. Right. Your fault."

"Yah. What are you laughing at?"

"Nothing. Nothing." He chuckled again. Then, afterwards, they shared a long pause.

After a few seconds, Sica snapped, "You know, you don't have to be here."

"Well... I'm feeling guilty so I'm gonna take care of you in return."

"I can take care of myself, Yoong."

"I know. But, let me help you this time... as a friend."

"As a friend?" She chuckled. "Yeah, right."

He chuckled again too, "Don't get your hopes up on me, Sica. I'm already getting married."

"Then, why are you here? Like you said, you're already getting married. And so am I, FYI."

He sighed deeply. "I don't know..."

"..."

"..."

"Worried...?" she asked.

"Yeah... I just don't know who am I gonna talk to about this, anyway. It'll be awkward for me to open this up to any of our friends who's not even involved in the situation. They might overthink this and prejudge those two..."

"So, you chose to talk to me? Because we're just in the same boat?"

"Yeah..."

I decided to finally end the call and just happened to stare at the screen of my phone. Thoughts have then consumed my mind.

So, they're secretly seeing each other again? Since when? Well, it was weird when they suddenly got a somewhat 'friendly' vibe relationship during the paintball game. So, it has started even before?

I know I shouldn't be adding up malice on them seeing each other without me or even Stephanie knowing. Maybe, there is really nothing wrong with it. I haven't noticed anything unusual with Jessica's actions recently, anyway. Hmmm... Maybe, it's just all in my mind. I know Yoong will never hurt Stephanie, neither Jessica. She said it'll be the last thing she ever wanted to do.

Right. It's maybe all just in my mind. *Sigh*. M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter