A Flight to Recollecting Memories

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yuri POV

*December-28-2016-at-Incheon-International-Airport*

"Did you and Jessica arrive at the airport well, dear?" Mom snapped from the video call screen. I ensured no one will get to hear her through having my Bluetooth ear piece connected to my phone.

"Yes, umma." I said and smiled at her.

"That's great." she smiled faintly. "Now, where's Jessica?"

"Oh. She just went to buy some coffee while we wait for the boarding."

She narrowed her eyes at me. "And you just let a woman buy you drinks? How could you not be a gentleman, huh?"

"Oh. Alright. Stephanie was the one who insisted on buying drinks. Jessica happened to volunteer to help her out on carrying. So, do you want me to accompany my ex-girlfriend instead?"

"Fine. I'm sorry!" She rolled her eyes. "I just thought you were only acting like a spoiled brat."

"Yeah, whatever." I chuckled. Then, I asked her, this time, seriously, "So... are you now okay, umma?"

Her pouting expression suddenly turned into faint sadness. "Y-yeah, I guess I am..." She smiled and looked away.

"Umma..."

"Look. It was a complicated feeling, okay. I was sad... because I couldn't even get near my best friend. Yet, happy at the same time too..." she then cried. She immediately wiped her tears. "She's finally happy now..."

In case you're all wondering, around the third week of December, Miss Elizabeth and Henry happened to check in at Dream SKY Hotel and Casino 'til the 24th. And you know what happened? Mom saw them having sweet dates around the place sweetly and romantically. The couple even decided to remarry at one of the nearby chapels. Jessica and I didn't cross paths with them though as we flew to Las Vegas at exactly 24th in the morning, just in time for Christmas. We just happened to come back here yesterday and now we're flying again to Japan for Hyoyeon's invitation for a Ski resort vacation.

I smiled, "You know, you should have gone near them. You could have been her maid of honor again."

"Shut up. I was not ready, okay. I never expected to see her and Jaejoong there having a Vegas wedding. It was totally out of the blue and so much one in a billion chance to ever happen. And as much as I wanted to be her maid of honor again, I never wanted to see the same groom for her, okay."

I chuckled, "So, you're still gearing for your grand comeback here in Korea, umma, huh?"

"Duh! Of course, I am!"

"But, it could have been epic that you'll come out during their wedding."

"I am not that evil, okay! I don't want to ruin their happiness that much."

"You're not gonna ruin their happiness, umma. You're even gonna make her happier because you're alive."

She then pouted.

"So, you'll be back here officially soon, right? You can finally talk to your best friend again."

She sighed loudly, "Right... Anyway... How was your third check up?"

"Umma, stop being paranoid."

"Why wouldn't I be paranoid?!" Mom shouted angrily. I pulled out a little the ear piece from me to avoid getting deaf from her voice. "That crazy ex-girlfriend of yours freaking made you eat wood, marble, and what, gravel?!"

"Concrete, umma. Not gravel."

"Right... Wood, marble and concrete?!" she repeated. "I swear I'm gonna spank the head of that woman once I get to see her!" She balled her fists in anger. "Aaarghhh-- she's too irritating! She's so damn like her father! Not Elise!"

"Umma. Your blood pressure. Calm down, okay."

She suddenly became composed again, "Well, she's a Hwang. I shouldn't be surprised." She sighed. "I just really thought she'll be more like Elise. But, anyway, still be a gentleman, okay? Don't you dare hurt a woman."

"Of course, umma."

"Anyway… can you uhhmmm… switch to the back camera? Can I uhhhmmm… see Sunkyu?"

"You're aware enough he's not really your grandson, right?"

"Of course. I just uhhmmm… wanna take a glance at him."

I smiled, "Oh. Alright." I switched to the back camera and focused it on Sunkyu.

Mom stared closely at her phone screen. She then snapped, "He looks like a teenager already."

"That's because he's already a teen, umma."

"Oh. How old is he again?"

"Fourteen."

"I see... What is he doing?"

I zoomed out the camera. "He's playing chess with Yoong. Taeyeon said Yoong's been training him for his battle against Henry Hwang."

"Oh. Is that the pesky annoying brat, Yoona, you say? Pfft. He's ugly."

"Ugly?" I chuckled, "Umma, he's app--"

"Shut up! Don't you dare continue that sentence, young man!"

"As you wish, umma." I said and chuckled again. I switched back to my front camera.

"Anyway, I bet that pesky annoying Yoona isn't even good in Chess."

"Umma, we're at par in chess. I can't beat him and he can't beat me either. We're both varsity players in college too. Take note."

"Fine. Whatever. Even if he tries to train Sunkyu, no one can beat Jaejoong in Chess. He was an international varsity for that game when he was young, just so you know. Your father couldn't beat him in that game. Oh. And also, Elise even lost to him in a match and he won a date from her back then. Tsk. Tsk."

"Was Miss Elise that good in chess too?"

She laughed, "Hell no. She at that game."

"Then, why did she even try to challenge Henry knowing the fact he's super good?"

"Err-- that's because I'm the one who fought with Jaejoong during that time." She chuckled as she reminisced. "I remember Jaejoong was too eager on asking Elise out for a date that time that, he even challenged her for a Chess if he wins, he'll get a date. Elise was too annoyed because she knows no one can beat that guy in Chess. But, yeah, due to me being too confident of myself, I became his contender for Elise's place." She laughed loudly. "My best friend was so mad at me, saying there's freaking zero percent possibility that I could win against him. But, believe me, I just tried. I really just tried."

Tsk. Tsk. Typical umma. So confident of herself all the time.

I chuckled, "You sure had her into trouble, umma."

"Oh yes. She was really, really so mad at me. Hmm. I bet she enjoyed their date, anyway. She had me as a chaperone that time."

"So, you're like saying... she really liked her husband before too?"

"Hmmm... I don't know... She only sees Jaejoong as a 'brother' before. But, yeah, I bet she was attracted to him too. She wouldn't be that nice to him back then if she wasn't. I mean... Elise is really savage when it comes to turning down her suitors. Only Jae and Yunho were the longest running ones."

I smiled, "You know... you can just come back here already, umma. It's obvious enough that you really miss your best friend."

"I want my come back to be special so freaking shut up! Now, turn back the camera. I wanna see everyone there and check them out for your safety."

"Alright. Alright." I turned the camera again. I made it focus on each of my friends she hasn't met yet and introduced them one by one. "So, that's Choi Sooyoung, Hyoyeon's boyfriend."

"Oooh. No wonder. He's lucky to land into a Billionaire. Hyoyeon's lucky on landing on him too. He's quite handsome, you know." she said and chuckled.

I spanned the camera, "And that's Taeyeon beside him."

"I already knew Taeyeon, okay! Span to someone else who I don't know!"

"Alright. Chill, umma… So, that one's Lee Sunny."

"Oh. She's a cute girl too. Sure your set of friends are really good looking? Is that some sort of requirement on your peer, huh?"

"Of course not. It was just a coincidence. Anyway, umma, just a fun fact, that woman's the one Taeyeon turned down two months ago. She proposed marriage to him."

"Whoa. Really? What a waste. You know, that best friend of yours is a big idiot."

"Yup."

"Can you bonk his head for me?"

I chuckled, "As you wish."

"Now, who else?"

I focused the camera to my half-brother, "And that's Yoong."

"Don't care! Next!" she shouted out of irritation which got me chuckled again.

I then focused the device to Jessica and Stephanie who are about to head back to our place. "And that's Stephanie."

"Oh..."

"..."

"..."

"What? No comments? Violent reactions?"

"Well..." she sighed loudly. "I can't really insult her appearance 'cus it will be like me insulting my best friend. Hmm... Right. The character then... She's evil."

I laughed, "You are really childish, umma."

"Look. Look at her eyes. She looked too angelic but really, she's a demon inside! Aissshh-- Jessica sure was right on that description."

Jessica then stood in front of me, handing me my cup of coffee. I focused the camera on her. "Here's your order!" she cheered. Then her eyebrows furrowed. "Are you taking a picture of me or something?"

"Nope. I'm having a video call with umma."

"Oh." she then greeted as she waved her hand excitedly. "Hi, umma!"

All of our friends looked at our direction and seemed to stare at me and Jessica in somewhat horror.

"Awww~ Jessica, you really are so pretty." Mom snapped.

I uttered, "Umma, she can't hear you, okay. You're not in a loudspeaker."

"Well, tell her that, then."

I looked at Jess, "Umma says you're so pretty."

She smiled and blushed. "Oh thanks~ Anyway, umma, have you met Tiffany yet?"

Mom looked so shocked. "No, no, no! Don't!"

As Jessica couldn't hear her, my fiancé suddenly pulled Stephanie to her. She guided the latter to face the back camera. Stephanie looked so shocked at what her best friend just did, though. She then introduced, "Umma, remember Tiffany? My best friend? She's going to be my maid of honor." She chuckled, "Yes, I just ensured I'll be prettier than my maid of honor."

Stephanie just stared at her in disbelief. Sica then nudged her. "Come on. Greet my umma."

"Y-your umma?" she repeated in question.

"Yeah, my future mother-in-law, just to clarify."

Stephanie stared back at the camera. Still, with her widened eyes, she couldn't utter a thing.

"Yah. Say something!" Jessica snapped at her.

"H-hi, Miss uhhmmm... Miss Shin." Stephanie greeted

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter