An Illusion Turning Into a Reality

Romantic Street: A Detour To Destiny
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

 

 

Tiffany POV

"Checkmate." Sunkyu snapped proudly over Dad.

Dad narrowed his eyes and responded, "Are you sure?"

"What do you mean with that? Look. Your king's trapped. He got nowhere to go. Cornered. Hah!" Sunkyu laughed evilly.

Dad chuckled, "Alright then. Here's my move."

"Wh-what? You can no longer move!"

"Well, you have forgotten my knight right here." He moved his chess piece, kicking out Sunkyu's white rook. "Checkmate."

"What?! H-how did that--?! Where did that come from?!"

"Beat it, kid. I still won this round."

"Arrghh-- drat. No, no. I can still make a move."

"Nope. Your King's now trapped, all your possible moves can no longer help him escape."

"Aisshh-- this is so unfair!"

"And that's my 112th win. Only 888 wins more for me."

"You just wait and see, old man! I am going to win the next round for sure!"

Dad faked a yawn. "Nope. I'm now bored. Let's play again next time."

"B-but--?! Arrghh. Just one last round! Please, please. One last round. Definitely, this will be my lucky game. I'm gonna beat you this time."

Dad sighed loudly. "Fine. Last round."

It's afternoon of Wednesday, 2nd of November, 2016. Here I am, along with my parents and Sunkyu at our garden dining at the back of the manor. Yoong's also here at home too but he just went to take a bath. So then, apparently, my son just got home from school and immediately challenged my dad for another Chess game. Oh. And what is dad doing here? Well, yeah, he told me that he will handle the work in HGC. It turned out he just said it to calm me down last Monday. He visited the office yesterday but it only lasted for few hours!

*Sigh*. I had no choice, though. My family's too eager on not allowing me to go to work. Nonetheless, I've been spending some quality time here at home. My friends were serious from creating distractions for me too so, they've been visiting me here since yesterday. I think all of them left our place almost after midnight. So, anyways, this morning, it was Sooyoung, Sunny and Hyoyeon goofing around our place. And now, it's Taeyeon's and Jessica's turn to bug me.

While waiting for them, I've been distracting myself through practicing my original profession. Interior Designing. Yes, yes, I've been trying out, sketching some designs for possible innovations in the future. Probably, I can use these to propose to my subsidiary afterwards.

"Still sketching on your design software, huh?" Mom snapped as she reads her favorite non-fiction book beside me.

"Yup."

"And you've been doing that for two straight nights, Stephanie."

"Yup."

She sighed loudly, "You are supposed to take a break."

"Yup. I am taking a break from work AND this is not 'work'."

"You are supposed to take a rest, sleep, Stephanie, SLEEP. You've been awake for two straight nights doing that thing."

"I'm not feeling sleepy, mom."

"Oh, yes, of course not! You drank probably gallons of coffee and many more caffeine drinks ever since you got out from the hospital."

"Because, I've been craving for coffee, MOM. It's just a normal thing."

She sighed again, "Alright. Don't blame me if ever you collapse again. I did not lack from giving you warnings, Stephanie."

"Yes, mom. Thanks."

Dad then snapped, "Steph, have your friend already sent you SKY's proposal?"

"Nope. But, probably, we'll get to discuss it this afternoon."

"I see. You better make sure we have the upper hand in the contract, okay?"

"Yup. Don't worry about it."

"And when are you and Yoong going to prepare for your wedding, by the way?"

I sighed, "I don't know. Maybe, next year?"

"Why not now? You got four more days left for the week. Maybe, we should schedule your engagement party this Friday."

"Dad. Didn't I already tell you Yoong and I decided not to have an engagement party?"

"But, Stephanie. It's for the benefit of the company."

"Benefit?" I chuckled. "Last time I checked, I garnered only negative publicity from my last engagement."

"And that's because of your stubbornness back then. You also never wanted to get married to Sooyoung, anyway. Now, you're the one eager to marry your boyfriend. So, I think we will not have problems if you'll be back in the news you're getting engaged again."

"No, and my answer's final, dad."

"Oh. Come on. It will be such a great news article. Think about it. The one you're about to get married with now was the one who took you away from your last wedding. It's gonna be such a great romantic story, Stephanie."

I chuckled, "Gee. Dad, are you hearing yourself? Since when did you become hopeless romantic?"

"I am just trying to point out what really happened, okay. He took you away. Then, after years of convincing your awesome parents, they already agreed to the union of you two. The man proved he's worthy of you over the years." He then chuckled. "That can be a great wedding concept too." He then shouted. "Checkmate!"

"What?!" Sunkyu shouted in disbelief. "How did that happen?!"

"Kid, you better try recording some of our battles and watch them. In that way, you can learn from your mistakes. Remind you, in chess, you better possess the eyes of an emperor. You should be able to see and analyze everything: every chess piece, every tile, every side and every corner of the board."

"I know that, okay!"

"Nope. If you know, you should have already won against me." Dad then sighed. "Tsk, tsk. Now, I'm having doubts about the future of HGC when you take over." He looked at Kyu. "Managing business is the same as playing Chess, FYI. So, you better be good in this."

Sunkyu was startled over Dad's statement. Well, so am I and mom too.

He then finally found a counter, "Yah! I do not in here, you should admit that to yourself. You might just be using some magic tricks and that is why I always lose against you."

"Oh. No. No. I am just smarter than you."

Sunkyu glared at him. Then he shrugged and sighed, "Again. Last round."

"Nope." He stood up and stretched out. "I am tired and sleepy. I think it's a nice afternoon to take a nap." He then asked mom, "Elise, aren't you tired? Sleepy? Wanna ummm... take a nap?"

I pressed my lips to contain my laughter. Mom seemed to be embarrassed about how Dad asks her for 'it' all the time. It's always a very awkward attempt and not to mention, obvious. What am I talking about? Oh, you know what I am talking about...

No?

*Sigh*. It's making love.

"I'm not yet sleepy." Mom answered.

"Oh." Dad suddenly looked sad. "Why not?"

She looked at him boringly, "I am not yet sleepy, Jae."

"Oh... Okay..."

Sunkyu suddenly sent out a laugh. But, immediately, he cleared his throat and went back to poker face as he took away the chess pieces.

Dad slowly turned away and took few steps. Then, mom snapped, "Hmm. I feel like dipping in a hot tub."

With that, Dad excitedly turned around and asked, "Do you want me to fill the tub for you?"

"Yes, thank you."

"Right away!" He then skipped back to the manor excited.

We couldn't take it anymore that Sunkyu and I shared chuckles over what we have witnessed.

"Yah! Stop laughing, you two!" Mom complained as she glared at us.

"You know, mom, you better teach dad how to ask you discreetly next time."

Sunkyu butted in, "A text message would be much better, you know."

"Exactly." I seconded.

"You two better just shut up." She then pertained to Kyu, "And what do you know about what we're talking about, huh?"

"Well, umma and appa already opened my mind to education long ago, halmunee."

"What?!" Mom then looked at me, "Really? When was that? When he was nine?!"

"Err-- uhhmm..."

Sunkyu butted in, "I accidentally saw them doing it, halmunee."

I shouted, "Yah, Sunkyu!"

"What? I am just telling the truth, umma." He then redirected to mom, "So, no worries halmunee. If halapoji didn't learn how to be discreet in front of us, better just be blunt about it so it won't be funny."

"Aisshh--" Mom stood up and started to head out. "I am going upstairs. Goodbye." She stomped her way out and back to the manor.

"Have fun!" I shouted and Sunkyu and I shared a chuckle. Afterwards, I quickly pinched Sunkyu's ear.

"OUCH!!!" He swatted my hands away. "Why you did that for?!"

"Since when are you allowed to into adult conversations, huh?!"

"Yah. Umma! I'm already a teenager! I'm no longer a kid for you to forbid me on those kinds of things!"

"Aisshh-- you better not engage in such thing this early age, Kyu. Or else!"

"I don't have a freaking girlfriend! How could I do that?!"

"I'm just warning you!"

"You don't have to, okay!" He went back to taking away the chess pieces. "Appa told me not to do such thing until I reach the right age. I already promised him and I never go back on my word."

"Your appa sure was a good father..."

"I'm just honoring his death, you know. Technically, I'm just a better son."

I chuckled, "Right." I then sighed and asked rhetorically, "Now, why is Yoong taking so long?"

"Oh, Yoong-hyung? I saw through the window that he's talking to Taeyeon-hyung."

"I see... I guess I better check them out. I'll leave you here for a while."

"No worries. I need to finish my Science project, anyway, umma."

 

I headed back to the manor. I found the two guys discussing something inside the kitchen. Of course, as usual of me, I eavesdropped first.

"Here you go." Yoong handed him a cup of hot coffee.

"Thanks, man." Taeyeon accepted it and he took a sip.

"So, what do you want to talk about?"

"Well... I just wanted to ask if you'll be there on Monday? During my company's proposal presentation?"

"Hmm. Why?"

"I'm just thinking you'll be easier to convince than Tiffany."

Yoong chuckled, "Even if I am easier to convince, Tiffany still have the last say on it."

"I know, man. It's just..." Tae sighed loudly. "It's just that if you are there, you'll be able to help us on convincing Tiffany."

Young then laughed,  "Hyung, why are you afraid of my fiancé? Don't worry. She won't be eating you alive. You'll just suffer from a little bit of humiliation but she's still on point."

"I am not afraid. I am just worried."

"Just to answer, though. I won't be there. I have three consecutive out of the country business trips from 7th to 12th."

 

"12th?! Dude, you better just cancel it, please. Or better, postpone it! Fly on 8th instead."

"Nope. No way. Why are you worried anyway? It's not like you're the one who will be presenting to Tiffany. It will be your boss."

"That's what I've been worried about. If they will negotiate just by themselves, it will be chaos. You say it's like hell when you work under Tiffany but it is way worse than hell if you'll be working under my boss."

"Really? That George Nicholas is that kind of boss?"

"Yes. One time, when I was still heading one of our subsidiaries and I presented our strategic plan, he just briefly scanned over my material and he trashed it, just like that. I confronted him right at that very meeting and he..." He sighed. "...Damn it. He was like grilling me in my own oil. Worse, he did that in front our other board of directors!"

Yoong chuckled, "You probably really did screw up that time, hyung."

"Yeah, okay, fine. Maybe I did screw up but he was so over the line! I felt like I was a stranger to him the whole time. That, he never valued our twelve years of friendship."

"Wait. Twelve years?"

"Err- yeah?"

"So uhhmmm... that was like when you're 14 or 15 something?"

"Yup."

"And you told me you never had other friends except for Yuri-hyung during that time."

"Err--- what I meant about twelve was twelve years of knowing each other. I just concluded it as a friendship, so, uhhmm... yeah."

"I see..." He then went back to the topic. "Anyway, don't be too worried. If they will clash, let them clash. It's not really a big deal for the both of us, anyway. It's their problem, not ours." He chuckled. "Chill, hyung."

"Well... I'm actually planning to not let him go to the meeting."

"Why?"

"To uhmmm... avoid any future dilemmas."

"I already told you, hyung. Tiffany never agrees to business proposals unless the respective owner himself or herself comes over to ask her for her yes."

"He's right, Taeyeon." I butted and went inside the kitchen. He looked so shocked from seeing me. "No offense, but, I don't negotiate with subordinates."

"Told you so." Yoong said and grinned at him.

"Tell me, Tae-Tae, that's not worriment, right? You are really afraid, aren't you?"

He then closed his eyes and sighed, "My boss told me that if I fail to convince you, I will lose my job."

"Hmm. So, that's it? That's all you are afraid of?"

"Hey, I love my job, okay! I value it more than anything!"

"Then, just go find an opportunity somewhere else, then. You can apply in my company if you want."

"Really? You're going to hire me?"

"Well, that still depends on your credentials but most especially, if you pass your interview with me." I smiled at him. "I don't practice favoritism, Tae-Tae. Even if you're my friend, you still have to undergo the standard process."

He sighed loudly, "No, I'd rather not. You are so like my current boss so, why would I choose to work on another version of him?"

"I assure you I'm a better boss than him. Well, the door of my company's still open for you."

"Thanks. If everything goes wrong, I'll try my luck on yours."

I looked at Yoong, "So, you're bad-mouthing me now?"

"Wh-what?" Yoong asked and faked a chuckle.

"I clearly heard you, Yoong. Hell, huh?"

"Hell? I meant, HELLA AWESOME!" He wrapped his arms around me and showed me kisses on the cheek.

"Tell me a moment when I did something bad to you as a boss, huh? Tell me."

"Yah. I didn't say that. Hyung tried to put words in my mouth earlier. Come on. Don't be like that." He squeezed my cheeks and made me face him with his one hand. Then, he kissed my lips.

"Fine. I will let you slip this time." I redirected back to Taeyeon, "So, where's Jessica?"

"I left ahead of her. She was still busy with you know... love-fight with her fiancé."

"Over the phone?"

"Oh. My boss already arrived here last October 29. And uhhmm, they're currently fighting in their hotel room now. I meant, literally fighting, okay. Not the censored one."

"Oh, I see... What are they fighting about?"

"Hmmm... My boss just found out that Jessica still hasn't finished her degree. So, he told her to go back to college next year and wolla, they started to fight."

"She did not?" I repeated in question. Yoong and I exchanged glances.

"Yup."

"Why didn't she tell me that?"

"I don't know. She didn't tell me about it either."

"Wait. So you two weren't together for the past three years?"

"Nope."

"And you never told me that."

"Oh." He then chuckled. "It might have slipped my mind. We parted ways at the airport back then. We just crossed paths again last August."

"And Jessica never told me that."

"Err-- uhmm... Jessica has been very secretive with her life lately. Actually, she has been like that ever since she embraced the darkness long ago."

"But, she always tells me everything."

"Well... You better ask her why then, I guess?"

"So, why didn't she finish her degree in the last three years again?"

"She didn't really share anything about herself to me so what I'm about to tell you are secondhand information. It's her fiancé who blabbed it to me."

"Alright, alright. Enough with the disclosure. Just say it."

He scratched the back of his head as he uttered, "Jessica has been busy with something for a year at first but when she was almost done with it, she got into an accident. Because of that, she couldn't walk for a year. Then, after she recovered, she went back to pursuing her plan. But, she struggled for the past year, though. I guess that's pretty much it."

"Oh dear..." I sat lifelessly on the chair. "And she didn't even tell me anything. All she told me that her life went well, normal as always. Now, this?"

"..."

I closed my eyes and mass

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter