Hurt

Happily Ever After?

Daehyun's POV

"Youngie!! Help Mommy bring this out to Daddy please!" My Love shouted from the kitchen. 

"I don't want!!!" Youngie shouted back. She was busy playing with her dolls by herself. 

"Baekie? Please!" Jieun shouted. Baekhyun stopped folding papers and ran to the kitchen almost instantly. This boy is so well-behaved unlike my lazy girl. 

"Youngie, you shouldn't be so lazy." I said. She ignored me. I guessed she was too engrossed with her dolls.

"Baby girl." I called to get her attention.

"Yes Daddy?" She answered.

"You shouldn't be so lazy." I said.

"Daddy's lazy too!!" She stuck out her tongue and carried on playing. I made a face. She was partially right, I'm actually tired to move from the couch.

"Daddy." Baekhyun walked towards me with my dinner in his hands, a bowl rice with dishes that Jieun heated up for me.

"Thank you baby." I said as I took the bowl from him. He gave me a super small smile before taking the piece of paper he was folding and sat on the couch. I was a little surprised when he sat at the other end of the couch instead of sitting beside me. I didn't think much about it thinking that he might probably want the arm rest. 

I ate my dinner while watching my two kids play by themselves as I enjoyed the peace at home. If I didn't know, I would have thought that the both of them were having cold war but I knew. There were times where the both of them would just play games suitable for their own gender. 

"Baekie what are you doing?" I asked when I see him frowning at a piece of paper with diagrams on it.

"Folding..." He mumbled as he concentrated on his folding. After a few more minutes, he ran back to the kitchen with a piece of paper and the paper filled with diagrams.

"Daehyunnie! Help him! I'm busy!" Jieun shouted from the kitchen and a very down Baekie came out from the kitchen.

"Baby you need help?" I asked. He nodded slowly.

"How can Daddy help you?" I asked.

"How to make aeroplane?" He mumbled so softly, like he was shy or something.

"Aeroplane? That's easy! Why did you need to bother Mommy when you could have just asked me?" I asked him. I was just beside him but he ran to the kitchen just to look for Jieun. He looked at me as though I was asking him a difficult math question.

"Come here, Daddy will show you." I said. Somehow, he was standing quite a distance from me. Even when I told him to sit beside me, I felt like he was awkward. 

I showed him how fold and he listened and followed attentively. So cute my boy. After getting the hang of it, he went back to sitting on the floor and practiced. He then practiced throwing it around the house which caught Youngie's attention.

"Oppa I want!!" Youngie said.

"Baby, what do you say when you want something?" I frowned.

"Please Oppa!" She shouted, taking the paper aeroplane that was on the floor. Baekie didn't say anything but allowed her to play with it.

"Daddy teach Youngie too!!" She said as she took a piece of paper from Baekhyun's pile and hopped onto the couch, sitting close to me, her face so close to my hands.

"Baby, how can you see if you're looking so closely?" I asked. She giggled and moved back a little.

She took a longer time to get it because he was looking forward to playing than actually making it. After playing with the both of them, it was their bed time. 

Baekhyun obeyed while Youngie, as usual, grumbled about sleeping. Usually Baekhyun will grumble along with her but recently, he seemed much quieter to me.

Finally, after convincing Youngie to sleep, Jieun and I had our little time alone.

"So what happened to Youngie that night?" My princess asked while we're lying on our bed.

"She was just insecure." I replied, hugging her.

"Insecure about?" She asked.

"She thought I was going to leave and forget about her." I said.

"See? You just had to play that stupid prank on us!" She frowned.

"It wasn't a prank! I didn't know!" I pouted.

"Don't say such things again please. I cannot take such words coming from you. Spare a thought for the kids too. They're too young to be harmed by such words." She said as she hugged me and buried her head into my chest.

"Don't start crying please. I promise I won't say things like that again. I was scared too." I said, caressing her hair. Then, it was peaceful silence.

"By the way Darling, did anything happened to Baekie? He seemed quieter." I asked.

"Baekie? Nope, not that I know of. He seemed okay to me though." She told me.

"Oh... I thought too much then..." I said.

"Goodnight Princess." I said as I kissed her lips and hugged her.

"Goodnight Darling~" She smiled.

"How am I going to sleep with you hugging me like that?" She asked.

"I don't know. You'll find a way." I grinned as I snuggled closer to her.

 

For the next few days, I could still feel that Baekhyun was way too quiet. It was getting more obvious to me. He seemed to just talk to the girls but when it comes to me, he was very quiet, like he was afriad or something. I'm not sure and I'm intending to find out.

"Baekie let's go out? Daddy want to get something. Follow Daddy?" I asked. 

"Daddy Youngie wants to go too!" Youngie shouted and ran towards me.

"Not today sweetie. Daddy went out with you that night. It's Baekie's turn." I said as I patted her head. She pouted but did not make a fuss of it.

"Daddy will get something back for you alright? Even though it's cute, don't pout like that." I sai as I poked her lips lightly.

"Daddy... Where are we going? I don't want to go to the playground." He asked me.

"We can just walk around anywhere you want. You don't want the playground? It's fine too. We'll go eat?" I asked. He nodded lightly.

"I mean okay Daddy." He said. I thought he had already nodded?

"Go get your jacket. It's cold outside." I said as I patted his bum. He ran up and came down speedily.

"Baby you don't need to run." I said as I patted his head.

"Love, we're leaving. Be back soon!" I shouted, telling Jieun.

"Bye little monster. Don't mess the place." I said as I ruffled her hair. She gave me a silly smile.

"Daddy...." Baekhyun looked at me and handed me something.

"What's this?" I asked. He handed me a short rope.

"Tie." He said sadly as he held his hands up. 

"What for?! Where did you get this?!" I shouted, not meaning it. I didn't know why he was behaving like that. I was suddenly angry. I didn't like how he was behaving. Have we not shown him how much we love him?!

"Daddy is going to throw Baekhyun away right?" He pouted.

"What?! Where are you bringing him to?!" Jieun ran out of the kitchen and questioned me.

"I swear I'm not doing anything to harm him. I just want to bring him out for a light snack. That's all." I said. I felt a little hurt that Jieun doubted me but I couldn't blame her right?

"Sorry..." Jieun apologized, cupping my cheek. I gave her a small smile and shook my head.

"Baby, Daddy is just bringing you out. He'll bring you back. Don't need to be afraid. Give Mommy the rope now." Jieun crouched down to his level and spoke nicely to him. He handed the rope to her.

"Can we go now?" I asked as I stretched out my palm towards Baekie. I could tell he was still feeling a little afraid but he held my hand eventually. We said goodbye to the other two and left. 

"Daddy where are we going?" He asked me while I was buckling his seatbelt for him.

"Somewhere to eat. Do you want to eat anything?" I replied. He shook his head.

"Aren't you hungry? I rubbed his stomach. He shook his head. Weird, he didn't eat anything a few hours before.

"Pancakes?" I asked thinking that it was his favourite. He gave me a small nod. 

It was awfully quiet throughout the car ride. I tried making small talks with him but his replies were all simple and short. Oh well. I will ask him later.

"Sit here while Daddy go and get something for you okay." I said as I made him sit on a seat rather near to the counter so that I could still see him when ordering. He was playing with his fingers.

I ordered our pancakes and went back to him.

"Here's yours." I said as I placed his in front of him. He was looking at mine though. He his lips.

"Do you want to swap with Daddy's?" I asked. He bit his lip, thinking like it was somesort of difficult question.

"Can I?" He asked.

"Yeah sure. Here you go!" I said as I swapped our plates. 

He ate happily, with the syrup all over his mouth. I knew he wasn't telling the truth when he said he was not hungry. 

"Baby, why are you so quiet?" I asked him while eating. He shook his head.

"Did someone bully you?" I asked. He shook his head again, poking his pancake.

"Did Youngie disturb you?" I asked. He shook his head frantically, like he was afraid I would scold her.

"Okay okay. Relax. Then why?" I asked. He hesitated for awhile before pointing at me.

"Me?" I asked, a little taken aback.

"Did I do something to hurt you that's why you're quiet?" I asked. He said nothing but look at his pancakes. I assumed it was me who made him like that.

"Baby what did Daddy do?" I asked. I really wanted him to tell me what was wrong instead of just keeping quiet about it. I don't want it to affect any of us.

"I promise I won't scold you or anything." I said when he would not talk.

"Will you leave me at the playground?" He sulked.

"No no. I won't." I said.

"Promise?" He stuck out his pinkie at me.

"Promise." I hooked my pinkie with his.

"Daddy said I'm just a kid Mommy brought home... Daddy wouldn't care if I died..." He sulked even more if that was even possible and his tears flowed though he didn't cry out loud.

"Daddy said that?" I asked, not remembering when. He nodded.

"When Baekie was sick. I heard Mommy and Daddy shouting." He said. Oh... I remember now...

"I... Was it why you didn't talk much to me?" I asked. He nodded slowly.

"Daddy is so sorry... I really never meant to say that. It's true that you're a kid we brought home but we brought you home to love you, so that you wouldn't be in the hands of bad guys and I'm sorry that I was the one who hurt you instead. I really didn't mean anything I said then... And of course, you mean a lot to me. I care about you as much as I care about Youngie and Mommy. Forget about that okay?" I said as I patted his head. I felt bad that he still remembers the mean things I've said to him. I hurt him...

"So Daddy will care if Baekie dies?" He asked.

"Yes but you're not going to die. I will not allow it okay? Don't think about it anymore." I pinched his cheeks. He showed me a grin. So cute, this boy.

"Are you done? Can we go now?" I asked him. 

"Yes! Buy for Mommy and Youngie!" He said as he pointed to the counter.

"Of course. They will grumble if I didn't get anything for the both of them." I said. After buying their panacakes, I walked to the car hand in hand with Baekie and headed home.

"Don't let the past affect you anymore okay? Just remember we all love you and we're not gonna throw you away or anything like that." I said before we enter the house.

"Yes Daddy!" He smiled. 

"That's my boy!" I ruffled his hair and entered our home.

"You're back!" Jieun said. The both of them were on the couch. Jieun was playing with Youngie's hair.

"Daddy! Did you buy anything for Youngie and Mommy?" Youngie ran towards me.

"Here. One each." I said as I handed her the bag.

"How was the outing Baekie?" Jieun asked Baekhyun as she made him sit beside her.

"Fun." He said. Jieun gave him a kiss on his cheek.

They ate and then played together. Finally, I get to see my cheerful kids again.

 

"So? How did the mini bonding go?" Jieun asked me when we were on our bed.

"I feel so bad... First I hurt Youngie, then I hurt Baekie. He was quiet because he still remembered what I said when we were arguing outside the kids room when he was sick. Why do I keep hurting the people I love?" I said, feeling beyond guilty.

"At least he told you why and the both of you are okay now right?" She asked, cupping my cheeks.

"Yeah... I'm sorry." I said as I cupped her cheeks too and landed a kiss on her lips.

"What for?" She asked.

"I know I hurt the kids but I hurt you the most. I'm so sorry... To think that you still came back to my side..." I muttered. I really treated her like trash but no matter what I did, she still came back to me. I must be really blessed to have her with me. 

"How many times are you gonna apologise to me? Of course I'll come back. We're a family and I'm your wife. I forgive you but don't ever do something as stupid as that again." She frowned.

"I won't. I'll treasure the three of you. I promise." I embraced her.

"I love you. Always have and always will." She said suddenly. I did not expect her to say that. It was really sweet.

"I love you too Princess. Thank you." I replied kissing her again. Again, she slept in my arms.

 

I'm really sorry if it's getting boring... I'm trying to close the story nicely. It'll get better soon. I hope. I need to find my motivation to update...