Happy Joker Day; Answer

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

A splitting headache woke me up from my sleep. I tried to make a sound but I couldn’t. Why was my mouth tape shut? Was I locked up again? But my hands and legs weren’t tied up. There was a piece of paper secured between the tape and my mouth.

Who did this to me? But no one has the keys here except the boss and I. I am pretty sure the boss wouldn’t do such a thing. Besides, if anyone wanted to leave me a note, why tape it to my mouth?

I tore out the tape and took a look at the note.

Meet me at the playground behind the bookstore if you want your answer.

What answer? What playground? Who was it? I looked around for my Duckie. I was pretty sure I had it in my hands when I slept. Where is it now? I looked around for it. The basement wasn’t very big, if I don’t see it around, then it really isn’t here.

I looked at the note again, then at the surroundings. Was it Haneul? Is Haneul back!? I ran out of the bookstore, totally forgetting about my coat or closing up the place. Nothing was more important than her now.

When I arrived at the playground, I saw candles lit up all over the place, but I didn’t see the face I longed to see. Did I guess wrongly? But I saw my Duckie tied or taped to the roof of the playhouse.

“Owww!” I heard someone cry just as I was about to go get my toy back.

I was about to take a step forward when a figure stood up, head banging onto the metal before I could call out.

“OWWW!!!” She cried again.

“Haneul? Is that you?” I called out.

The figure turned around, thumb in and hand rubbing her head, pouting at me.

“Oh! You’re here.” She smiled.

“It’s you.” I mumbled, unable to suppress my smile.

“Or else who?” She said. She had the blanket I bought for her wrapped around herself.

I had the urge to run forward to hug her, but I didn’t dare.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

“If your finger just got burned and your head just got banged, would you be okay?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Then why ask?” She said, climbing up the steps to high ground.

“And you took so long to come. It was so damn cold.” She mumbled as she climbed onto the roof.

“Be careful.” I said softly.

She sat down on the roof of the playhouse and smiled at me.

“I heard it’s your birthday.” She said.

I nodded. I couldn’t take my eyes off her face. The face I missed so much.

“Happy Birthday.” She said, tossing a package to me.

I caught it just in time before it hit the ground and got burned by the candles.

“I see your reflexes improved.” She smiled.

“Open it.” She said.

I opened it up as told. Inside was a red pullover with the words 'Enjoy Coke' as the design. There is also a coke flavor lip gloss inside. I laughed at the stuff she got me. How cute of her.

“Why are you laughing? Is it very funny?” She asked.

“No no. I’m sorry.” I apologized.

“You like Coke, don’t you?” She said.

I nodded. I obviously like coke, but I love her.

“You told me to think about it, right?” She said.

I nodded.

“I thought about it.” She said.

I felt as thou my heart stopped beating for a second. Suddenly, I don’t wish to know the answer anymore.

“Whatever my answer is, promise me nothing will change, okay?” She said.

I shook my head. Was it a ‘no’?

“Why are you crying even before I say anything!?” She shouted.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, trying to stop my tears.

“I don’t want to know. Please.” I mumbled.

I didn’t want another disappointment on my birthday. I hated my birthday enough, I didn’t want to hate it further.

“I came back here and all you said is you don’t wish to know anymore!? Yong Junhyung, am I a joke to you!?” She shouted.

“No no! You’re not the joke! I am the joke! It’s my birthday today! I already hate my birthday enough! I don’t wish to hate it further! Please! Don’t do this to me! Reject me tomorrow, or later when the clock strikes twelve! Please! Just not now! I beg you! Please! I don’t wish to know!” I sank onto the ground, crying like a lost child.

From the words she said and the look on her face, she was going to reject me, right? I know she is. She said that no matter what she said, she hopes nothing changes. Doesn’t that mean we should just remain friends? I can take that, but just not today.

I felt something hit my head. It was a winter boot. It was hers. I looked up at her. She was glaring at me.

“Are you a part time mind reader?” She asked.

“Huh?” I asked.

“If not, then why did you assume what I was going to say?” She said.

“Huh?” I asked, confused.

“HUH ONE MORE TIME AND I’LL WHACK YOU!” She shouted.

“H… What?” I changed my words.

“Who said anything about rejecting!?” She yelled.

She jumped off the roof and landed in front of me. She grabbed my shoulders and crashed her lips against mine. My eyes widened, so did hers. We stared at each other blankly for a few minutes before she turned away, her cheeks flushed red.

Did she just kiss me!? Does it mean.....?