Valentine

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

It’s been a week since Haneul disappeared. I tried to look for her, but she really seemed to have disappeared from the face of earth. It was as if she never existed before. I called and texted her, but her number wasn’t in use anymore. I went to her home but there was no one. I went to school, they say she quit. I went to the bookstore, the boss told me she left too. Where did she go? It was worrying me sick.

“Junnie, there’s something for you.” Yoseob said as he walked into the dorm.

“What?” I asked.

“This.” He handed me a parcel.

I tried to look for the sender’s name, but there were none. Thinking it was a fan gift, I left it aside. I wasn’t in any mood to open any fan gifts now. My main concern was Haneul. Where did she go to? Is she okay? I want to apologize to her. I didn’t want things to end up so ugly.  

“Not opening it?” He asked.

I shook my head and went back to the room. I lied on my bed. I was really tired, but I could never seem to sleep. How could I sleep without knowing whether she is okay or not? I buried my face in the pillow. I felt drowsy and slowly started losing conscious.

A couple walked down the street, linking their arms together. Although the street was pretty empty, they were still sticking really close each other. There was obvious envy in the eyes of those they walked passed. They were that in love.

“Where are we going?” The girl asked.

“Bookstore.” The boy said flatly.

“So early?” The girl said, as thou hinting something.

“It’s not early. It’s almost 10PM.” The boy said.

“But…” The girl mumbled.

“What?” The boy asked.

“Nothing.” She said.

They walked in silence until the girl broke it.

“What’s today date?” The girl asked.

It wasn’t as if she didn’t know.

“14 Feb.” The boy said as a matter-of-factly.

“Oh.” The girl said softly.

She looked down, screaming at the boy inside her head. She was so pissed. It was their first Valentine’s together, not only that, it was the first time she had a partner for Valentine. But since morning, the boy had show no sign that he was aware of that special day, and the girl, being someone with a lot of pride, she would rather get angry inside than to ask for it.

But now she had made it so obvious by asking the boy about today’s date, yet the boy just answered with no realization. She didn’t mind not having any presents or dinner, she just wished that at least she would get a ‘Happy Valentine’s Day, my Dear.”, and perhaps, plus a kiss.

“I’m so tired!” The boy yawned loudly as soon as they settled down in the bookstore.

The girl plopped down onto the sofa with a book in her hand. She appeared to be ignoring the boy but inside, she was raging with anger. She wanted to jump up and strangle the boy for not realizing what today was. She was gripping the book so tightly she wasn’t aware that she was crushing the pages.

“I’m going to sleep.” The boy announced loudly.

The girl looked up at him, showing her obvious anger on her face.

“What’s today’s date again?” She asked.

“14 Feb! Why do you keep asking?” The boy said.

“SLEEP!!! GO AND SLEEP!!” She yelled, throwing the book at him.

“What’s with your temper?” He mumbled, putting the book back onto the shelf before heading towards the basement.

As soon as the basement door shut, the girl jumped up, ruffling her hair and getting angry on her own.

“Damn you, Yong Junhyung. Damn you you you you you!” She cursed.

“Just wait and see. I’ll forget your birthday and our anniversary too. I’ll forget all those important dates to you.” She mumbled to herself like a crazy woman.

Because of her anger, she couldn’t seem to be able to settle down. She distracted herself by doing stuff around the bookstore. She was doing a fine job until she heard someone yell her name.

“HANEULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!” The boy screamed.

She jumped up. She ran towards the door but she stopped right before opening it. She smirked to herself and strolled back up. If he could forget such an important day, then why should she answer him when he calls, she thought to herself.

But being her, she had a weak spot for that boy. Whatever wrong things he did, she always forgave him. She couldn’t seem to get angry with him for long. That was the effect the boy had on her. The boy would most probably be the only one in the world to be treated with such privilege.

“HANEULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!” He screamed again.

“Aish!!” The girl grumbled.

She couldn’t hide her worry for the boy, neither could she ignore him further.

“What is it?!” She shouted as she rushed into the basement.

Even before she could open the door, the door flew open. The boy ran out and hid behind her.

“What is it?” She asked worriedly.

“There!! There!!” He trembled.

“What? Where!?” She asked, rubbing his back to calm him down.

“THERE!!!” He screamed, pointing frantically into the room.

“What?” She asked, trying to hush him.

He didn’t say anything, only freak out. His actions were worrying the girl. Did he dream of something bad? He has been tired these days; it wouldn’t be uncommon for him to have nightmares. Or did he see something that freaked him out like this?

“Alright, I’ll go take a look, okay? Calm down.” She said.

He grabbed onto her hand so tight he would have crushed her if not for her strong bones.

She was more confused than scared. She pushed open the door and walked into the room, with the boy trailing behind her. Her jaws dropped at the sight.

On the blanket laid out on the floor, made with chocolates, candies, Pepero and other tidbits were the words ‘NOT EVEN THE SWEETEST CANDY COULD WIN OVER YOUR SWEETNESS. FOR ONCE, I DON’T MIND DIABETES. THANK YOU FOR MAKING ME THE LUCKIEST MAN ON EARTH! HAPPY V’DAY, MY <3’

“You seriously think I would forget, hmm?” The boy said, circling his arms around the girl’s waist.

She was still in a state of shock, or rather, confusion.’

“Ever since the first day we met, I’ve been counting down to today. How could I possibly forget?” He said.

“You idiot.” She scolded, but smiled really widely.

“You were really upset, weren’t you?” He .

“No! I don’t care.” She elbowed him in his ribs.

“Oww~ Then who was it asking what date today was, twice!” He laughed.

“YAH! Yong Junhyung!” She pouted.

“Alright, alright. Happy Valentine’s, Darling.” He said.

He held her close to him as he kissed her. He supported her back so she wouldn’t fall backwards. If they could breathe through their skin, they would be kissing forever. But unfortunately for them, they couldn’t, so they had to break apart for air.

“I love you.” He whispered.

“Me too.” She smiled, burying her face in his neck.

She admired the masterpiece on the floor as they hugged.

“What made you think of this?” She asked.

“You.” He said.

“Me?” She asked.

“Yea, because you’re so sweet! What could represent you best but these?” He said, rubbing the tip of his nose against hers.

She giggled, which was like music to his ears.

“So you don’t mind diabetes?” She asked.

He shook his head, leaning his forehead against hers. They locked their eyes with each others, playing a game of staring. They both ended up crossed eyed and laughing.

“Let’s eat.” He said.

“EH!? No!” She pouted.

“Then what? Are we going to leave it here forever?” He asked.

She nodded, pouting slightly.

“Cutie.” He laughed, pinching her nose lightly.

“Don’t eat it~” She whined.

“Come on.” He said, pulling her down.

They sat in front of the words, contemplating which to eat first.

He took a Pepero stick and fed it to her. She ate happily, despite protesting against it just moments ago. They fed each other, or rather, she ate happily on her own, occasionally shoving some into his mouth. He watched her eat as he her hair, smiling to himself. Like a little girl, he thought to himself.

The boy suddenly grabbed the girl’s hand, startling her. But she smiled the moment she felt him slip something onto her middle finger. She looked down at her finger, it now wore a simple silver ring with a heart shape engraved in the middle.

“What’s this?” She asked dumbly, smiling like a fool.

“Oh. It’s a stick.” The boy said sarcastically.

He expected her to push him and scream at him, but instead, she smiled wider, hitting his chest and whining. He never knew she had this side of her. Her actions made him go jelly almost immediately.

“I hope you like it.” He said.

“I love it.” She said, admiring the ring.

He showed her his finger proudly. He was also wearing the identical ring, except his had the design of a cloud.

“Why is yours not a heart?” She asked.

“Because my heart is with you.” He answered.

She cringed but couldn’t hide her smile.

“Then why the cloud?” She asked.

“Because it’s haneul.” He said.

“Awwwww~” She leaned onto his chest, hugging him tight.

“So cheesy, but so sweet~” She laughed.

“Tsk~” He pinched her cheek lightly.

“I got you something too.” She said, running out to the basement.

She came back and handed him a small box.

“Happy Valentine, my Valentine!” She said, leaning in to kiss him on his forehead.

He smiled and took the box from her.

“Don’t you know that you’re the best present I could ever ask for?” He said.

“Right! I forgot! Tsk! I’ll remember it well, and then next time I wouldn’t need to spend money on presents for you.” She said.

“Aiyer~ So stingy.” He scoffed.

“YAH!” She slapped his thigh.

“Open it!” She said.

He nodded and gently tore off the wrapper. He opened the box, revealing a pair of customized musician earplugs. His initials; J.H., were on each side of the earplugs. The earplugs were gold while the words stood out in matte black. The note attached below wrote; To my talented rapper, I love you.

The boy looked at the girl, smiling awkwardly.

“I’m not talented.” He mumbled.

“Of course you’re not.” She said.

He smiled slightly.

“You’re gifted.” She said, cupping his cheeks.

“You can lose anything, but you can never lose your confidence. Believe in yourself. You’re the best. At least to me, you are.” She said.

He nodded, pouting his lips, asking for a kiss in which she gladly gave.

I shot up, my heart beating wildly. I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself down. What was that? It felt too real to be a dream. It's real, is it? 

I got out of bed and headed outside to get myself a cup of water. As I stood at the counter, drinking the water, the parcel from just now seem to be yelling at me to open it. I went over to the sofa and set down. I held the box in my hand and shook it lightly but couldn’t seem to hear anything.

I sighed as I tore open the wrapper. Inside was the Daisy Duck that I was holding onto when I woke up. It has been with Haneul ever since that day, together with the Donald Duck. Beneath the toy was an envelope. I pulled out the letter inside and started reading.

The more I read, the more my head hurt. It was so pain to the point I couldn’t seem to stop trembling, but I read on.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” I yelled in pain.

I tried to hit the headache out of me, but it just out worse.

“JUNHYUNG!” I heard Doojoon yell.

“Doo..” Even before I could finish, I saw black.