A step too much

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

I sat outside the bookstore, watching the leaves fall from the tree. Winter is nearing. Autumn is leaving, so are the leaves. Soon, the tree would be covered by white snow. In the past, I would be so excited to see it, but now, I just don’t feel like even having fun in the snow anymore.

“Trying to freeze yourself?” I heard a voice called out.

I turned to the side and saw someone walking towards me. He had his scarf wrapped up to half his face and also a pair of sunglasses to cover his eyes. But despite the disguise, I instantly recognized him.

“Trying to replica a mummy?” I asked.

“Eh! How did you know?” He took off his sunglasses and winked at me.

“That’s gross. Do that to your fans, they’ll faint. Do it to me, you’ll faint.” I said.

“Why?” He asked.

“Because.” I stood up and went closer to him.

“I’ll punch you.” I said, giving him a slap on his back.

“Agh! Is this how you treat someone who just got off the plane and instead of resting, came to see you?” He pouted.

“I didn’t ask you to come.” I said, walking back into the store.

“How come you’re so different already!?” He followed behind me.

“I never said my attitude towards you would be stable.” I turned to face him.

He took off his disguise and looked into my eyes. He looked paler and slimmer than the last time we met. The dark circles under his eyes were so obvious. Did he not eat and sleep at all?

“I missed you, my Friend.” He smiled.

I shrug my shoulders, but I couldn’t hold in my smile.

“OH!!! YOU’RE SMILING!?” He pointed excitedly.

“You always make me sound like a cold blooded person, you know?” I said.

“I’m just happy that for once you smiled because of me.” He said.

“What because of you? It’s not you.” I said, wrapping the blanket over myself.

He smiled even wider when he saw the blanket I was using was the one he bought.

“So, I guess you like it?” He said, eyeing the blanket.

“Not really. It’s just the only one I’ve got.” I said.

His smile faded away instantly. It looked kind of dramatic to be honest, but still cute. I looked away to laugh. When I turned back, he really looked disappointed.

“What?” I asked.

“Nothing.” He said.

“I was just kidding, okay?!” I bit my lower lip. I can’t believe I said that.

He looked down.

“Really! I love this! It’s cute and it’s warm!” I said.

“I know.” He looked up, giggling.

Did he just play a prank on me?

“What is so funny?” I asked, folding my arms across my chest.

“Nothing…” He took a step back as I close in onto him.

“Yong Junhyung.” I called.

“I’m sorry!” He clasped his hands together.

 I covered the blanket over his head and walked back to the counter.

“Yah!!! Don’t be petty! Come on!” He said.

“YOU CALLED ME PETTY!?” I stared at him.

“Ah no no! You’re of course not petty!” He smiled, wrapping the blanket over me.

“I don’t want it!” I shouted.

“You want it. Don’t be stubborn.” He smiled, walking off to the other side to dig into his bag.

A few months changed him a lot. In the past he would never have said such things, but now, he talks back. Not that I am offended thou. I kind of find it quite attractive of him. I do hope he uses this kind of confidence towards me to deal with those bullies at school.

“So, how was your world tour?” I asked.

“Tiring.” He mumbled.

“Apart from that?” I asked.

“Successful, maybe?” He said.

“Will you guys be having another one in Korea?” I asked.

“Why?” He turned to look at me.

“Just asking.” I mumbled.

“If you’re not intending on going, then why ask?” He said.

I wanted to shout at him, but then I shut up instead. I was still at fault about the last incident.

“I’ll let you know okay? And if you forget again, then… I’ll be really, really sad.” He said, smiling slightly.

“I’m sorry.” I mumbled.

“What? DID YOU JUST APOLOGIZE!?” He laughed.

“Why do you always have to spoil the things I do!?” I grabbed whatever that was beside me and threw it hard at him.

I expected him to dodge it, but due to his retarded reflexes, he got hit head on by the thick hardcover book I threw.

“OWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!” He cried, squatting down, holding his forehead.

“WHY DIDN’T YOU DODGE!?” I shouted as I went over to his side.

“YOU WERE SO FAST!!!” He shouted back.

“WHEN DID YOU BECOME SO RETARDED!?” I pulled his hand away, looking at the bruise forming on his forehead.

“I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THIS RETARDED!” He said.

“That’s true.” I smiled, poking his bruise.

“OUCH!!!” He yelled.

“Opps, sorry.” I laughed.

Junhyung’s POV

“Very violent!” I said, glaring at her.

“Ya! So violent!” She said, pointing at the book.

“I meantyou!” I said.

“He meant you!” She pointed at the book.

When did she have such a cute side? I totally lost to her.

“I have stuff for you.” I said.

I pulled out a paper bag from my bag and handed it to her.

“What is all these?” She asked, pulling the stuff out.

“SO CUTE!!!” She squealed, taking out the weird looking Donald Duck.

“I think it looks like an idiot.” I said.

“EXACTLY BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE AN IDIOT, IT’S CUTE!” She smiled.

I was in Japan when I saw it. I thought it looked really silly. I bought it and on second thought, I thought she might yell at me for buying such childish stuff. But now I know, she actually likes stuff like these.

“Oh my god! This is cute!!!” She squealed again, pulling out the Teddy Bear I bought from the States.

I bought her lots of stuff. Everything I saw reminded me of her, so I just bought them. It was to the point I kind of lost count what I bought and where they were from. I watch her put whatever that is wearable on her body and hugging whatever soft toys I bought. I really never expected her to be so cute.

She looked up at me, smiling like a kid.

“Like them?” I asked.

“Thank you!” She smiled, still squashing the soft toy.

“You look like a Christmas tree.” I blabbered out.

She turned to the mirror and laughed at herself.

“You know what?” I said.

“What?” She looked at me.

“Smile and laugh more. You look really different.” I said.

“Are you trying to say I am fake?” She asked.

“No! I mean! Just…” I mumbled.

“HAHAHAHA! So easily scared!” She threw the soft toy at me.

“Of course. Don’t you know you scare me the most?” I said, picking up the weird looking Donald Duck.

“I do?” She asked.

“You sure do. And, this really looks like an idiot.” I said, grabbing the toy by its neck.

“YAH!!!! YOU’LL HURT IT!!!! IMAGINE I GRAB YOUR NECK LIKE THIS!?” She shouted, grabbing my neck.

Our faces were inches apart. She seem like she got a shock at our sudden closeness. My heart beat so wildly I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. I could feel my cheeks and ears heat up. I was fighting the urge to kiss her. For some odd reason, my body worked faster than my brain did, I leaned over to give her a peck on her cheek. Her eyes widened, so did mine.

She punched me in my nose, kicked me in my chest and stepped on my stomach before stomping out of the bookstore.

WHAT DID I JUST DO!?

My senses came back to me when the pain set in and blood flowed from my nose. I got up and ran after her, but she was nowhere to be seen. Did I just screw our friendship up? She was firm on the ‘nothing but friends’ policy. We were just getting closer. Why did this have to happen!?

Yong Junhyung, you ert! How could you!?