Understood

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

He stared at me as thou I just told him I am actually a man, so did the others.

“Yong Junhyung, will you marry me?” I repeated myself.

Is it impulse? No, it’s not. But simply because I understood already.

He continued staring at me.

“Aish!!” I grabbed his hand and pulled him out.

“Did I hurt your head just now?” He asked, touching the side of my cheek.

“NO!” I slapped his hand away.

“I am serious!” I yelled into his face.

“I think you’re tired.” He said.

“I am not! I am completely awake and I know what I am doing! I am proposing to you now, and it is not out of impulse! Let’s get married!” I yelled.

“Which part of what I said just now did you not understand, Haneul ah?” He asked.

“I understood every single thing, that’s why I want to marry you!” I shouted.

I looked at Doojoon and Seungho, who looked equally in shock.

“You two are the oldest, and you mean the most to Junhyung, so you’ll be our witness.” I said.

Their jaws dropped even lower.

“All of you here, be our witness, please.” I said.

“Look at me.” I shifted Junhyung’s head to face mine.

“I, Haneul, take you, Yong Junhyung, to be my lawful wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in..” He pushed my hand away and covered my mouth.

“Enough.” He stared at me.

“Don’t you dare stop me like this!” I yelled, pushing him away.

“In sickness and in hea..” He walked off even before I could finish.

“WHY ARE YOU SO RUDE!!” I yelled.

“Why are you so stubborn!? Why are you doing this to me!? Why do you keep putting me on the spot!?” He shouted, obviously angry.

“WE’RE NOT GETTING MARRIED, AND THAT’S FINAL!” He yelled.

“Reason!?” I yelled back.

We were acting as if the park belonged to us, but I guess none of us realized how embarrassing it was.

“Because it’s not possible! Obviously I want to marry you, but not in my condition now! How can I marry you when I don’t even know if I’ll wake up alive tomorrow!?” He shouted.

“I can’t be with you till forever, I don’t want to give you empty promises, I don’t want to ruin you!” He shook me.

“THIS IS NOT WHAT MARRIAGE IS ALL ABOUT!!!” I yelled.

“Then what!? What is a blissful marriage when we cannot grow old together!? What!?” He shouted.

“Listen, you just listen to the marriage vow again. Shut your ing mouth and listen!” I hissed.

“To have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health, until death do us part.” I said, looking at him.

“What?” He asked.

“The marriage vow never asked for us to be together until our hairs turn white and our skins turn wrinkly. It never asked for us to be together until we're 90 years old or something like that. Why? Because it is not under our control whether we can live that long or not. Dying young, or dying old, is not something we can change. But sticking together, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do us part, this, we can do. We can make it happen.  This is what marriage is all about. It's all about sticking together through thick and thin, not till we are wrinkly old. Of course, if we could, that would be the best, but it isn't the point. So do you get it? Do you get why I said let’s get married? Not because I am crazy, maybe I am, but now, I am completely sane, for the first time in this twenty over years of my life, I feel sane, and I know what I am doing.” I said.

“Junroro, please. Let me be with you. I want to be with you. I don’t care if you die tomorrow, I will be devastated, that’s for sure, but at least I would not regret anything. Ahjumma is right, in love, we have to be brave. We have to take risks. It's like bungee jumping, if you would just take that damn step, you'll see the world in a whole new light.” I said.

He looked away, and shook his head.

“We can’t. We can’t.” He said, looking away.

“Why not!? You don’t understand me, is it!?” I yelled.

“I get you! I understand you! But I can’t do it! I can’t commit myself to you when I am unclear about my own future!” He shouted.

“Is this what it is all about? You’re just afraid that you’ll be infected, right?” I asked.

“Yes! I am afraid, alright!?” He said.

“Then what if, I am in the same situation as you are?” I asked.

“What do you think you’re doing?” He asked with wide eyes.

Junhyung’s POV

I want to nod my head and say yes. I want to go down on my knees and propose to her instead. I understood her, of course I did. But something inside me kept saying no. I had a hard time fighting with myself to choke the 'no' out of my throat.

We watch blankly as Haneul looked around the area, looking for something.

“What are you looking for? What are you planning to do!?” I tried to grab her but she pushed me away.

“There is bound to be something here.. Ah there!” She smiled and ran over to the corner, pulling out an empty soju bottle.

“Haneul.. What are you…” I asked.

“If getting infected is what you’re afraid of, then let’s be in this together.” She said, breaking the bottle.

“HANEUL NO!!” We yelled as we watched her cut her palm with the glass bit.

Blood dripped onto the floor in a freakishly scary manner.

The next thing I know, I felt a stinging pain on my palm, and then she clasped our hands together.

“HANEUL!!!” We shouted.

I tried to pull hand away from her but she held onto me tightly.

“Now, we’re one.” She smiled.

***
PhotobucketJunhyung: We can't. We can't.