Worry

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

When I got to the car, Junhyung was already there. He was chatting with the other Beast members as thou nothing just happened.

“Thanks.” I mumbled as I took the keys over from one of the volunteers.

“You okay? Should I drive instead?” He asked.

“No, I’m fine. Just watch over the place.” I smiled, gesturing Junhyung to go into the car.

“Call us.” Doojoon mumbled.

I nodded and got into the car.

Junhyung looked at me as I fumbled with the keys.

“Should I drive?” He asked.

“No.” I said, starting the engine.

“Where are we going?” He asked.

“Hospital.” I mumbled.

“For what?” He asked.

“Don’t ask me stupid questions.” I said.

He kept quiet and looked out of the window. I stole occasional glances at him just to make sure he is okay. The traffic wasn’t that bad, but because of my mood, everything seem to irritate me.

“What the ? Are you driving at 20?” I mumbled to myself.

The driver in front seemed to be driving at a horribly slow speed.

Junhyung looked at me, but did not say anything.

I slammed onto the horn countless times and cursed as thou I was the only one in the car.

“Stop it.” He finally said.

“What!?” I snapped.

“Control yourself for goodness sake, and stop cursing like some gangster.” He glared at me.

“Is it my fault!? He is the one that is driving at bicycle’s speed!” I shouted.

“I just said, control yourself!” He shouted.

“I ALSO SAID IT IS HIM THAT IS PISSING ME OFF! JUST LOOK AT HIS ING SPEED!” I yelled.

“Pull over.” He said.

“WHY SHOULD I!?” I yelled.

“Pull over now, or I’ll make you.” He said dangerously.

I made a sharp turn and stopped the car at the side of the road. Before I could speak, he got out of the car and came to my side. He opened the door for me and gestured me out.

“NO! Get back into the car! Damn!” I hit the steering wheel.

“Get out!” He yelled.

“NO!!” I shouted into his face.

He in a deep breath before removing my seat belt and literally pulled me out of the car.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?” I struggled.

“You’re in no position to drive.” He said, pushing me into the passenger’s seat.

“DON’T YOU ING TELL ME WHAT TO DO DAMN IT!!!” I tried to hit him but he caught my hand and stared hard at me.

“Stay still.” He said.

“I said! DON’T YOU ING TELL ME …” I felt a stinging slap across my cheek before I could finish my sentence.

He looked at me, eyes staring dangerously at me.

“You.. slapped me?” I asked in shock.

“Yes.” He said.

I looked away. I wanted to rub the part that he slapped to ease the pain, but I didn’t want him to feel that I actually bothered.

He slammed the door shut and went to the driver’s seat.

“I’m sorry.” He said quietly.

I looked out of the window, ignoring him.

He tried to turn my face to face him, but I pushed him away.

“I… I just wanted you to stop.” He said.

Junhyung’s POV

She had her back facing me throughout the drive. She hugged her knees and I could hear her sobbing quietly. My heart ached more than my shoulder did. Suddenly, HIV wasn’t such a big deal anymore. I slapped her. I hurt her. I made her cry.

“Is this the way to the hospital?” I asked softly.

She looked up and nodded slightly before going back to her original position.

I sighed and continue to drive to the hospital. When we arrived, I parked the car.

“We’re here.” I said.

She did not respond.

“Haneul?” I called out.

She did not respond still.

I got out of the car and went to her side. Through the window, I saw her asleep. The side of her cheek that I slapped was still bright red. I opened the door gently and squat down beside her.

“I’m so sorry.” I mumbled, caressing her cheek lightly.

She opened her eyes and quickly moved away when she saw me, as thou afraid I would slap her again.

“Darling, I’m so sorry.” I said, holding her hand.

She looked at me, not saying anything.

“I really didn’t mean it. I asked you to control yourself, but I couldn’t even control myself. I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you. Please forgive me.” I pleaded.

She shook her head slightly.

“Say something, please.” I begged.

“I never meant to be that impatient too. I was just …” She looked down.

“I know I know. I’m so sorry.” I cried, pulling her into my arms.

I thought she would push me away, but she didn’t. Instead, she sank into my embrace, burying her face into the nape of my neck. I could feel her tears soak my skin. It’s been so long since I hugged her like this, and instead of smiling, she had to be crying.

After she calmed herself, she pushed me away and walked out.

“WAIT!!” I yelled after her, trying to lock the car.

“How do I lock the car!?” I yelled.

She turned back to me and snatched the keys from me.

“Stupid.” She mumbled as she locked the car.

“Ya. I’m very stupid. I know.” I laughed.

I saw a small smile crept onto her face.

“Eh eh! You’re laughing!” I said.

“No.” She said with a straight face.

“Ayeee~ How did you manage to change your expression so fast?” I poked her arm.

“Don’t touch me.” She said.

She seemed familiar with the people in the hospital. She got someone to help me dress my wound properly.

“After you’re done, they’ll take you there. I’ll be there.” She said.

“You aren’t going to wait for me?” I asked, pouting slightly.

“I’m going to talk to someone.” She said.

“Wait for me, we’ll go together.” I tugged onto her arm.

She slapped my hand away.

“Don’t be a kid.” She said.

“I am a kid. Please..” I pleaded.

I didn’t feel comfortable being left alone in a place I couldn’t even be slightest familiar with.

“Don’t be difficult please.” She said.

I buried my face into the pillow and did not reply her.

“I’ll just go and tell someone something and then I’ll be back, okay?” She said.

I did not respond to her.

“I’ll be back soon. Be gentle please.” I heard her tell the person before running off.

“I’ll dress your wounds alright? It may sting a bit.” The nurse said.

I nodded. Whether my wound hurt or not, I doubt it would be as painful as my heart is. In the past, she would definitely stay with me, but now, despite my pleadings, she just left. I guess I don’t hold such an important place in her heart anymore. And after the slap just now, I’m pretty sure I’ve dropped another few more levels down. I know I am acting like a spoilt kid, but I just wanted her to be with me.

Haneul’s POV

I ran as fast as I could to look for my friend and told him about what happened. I showed him the needles and asked him about the possibilities.

“You know the answer, don’t you Skye?” He said, looking at the needles.

“There were so many needles in the bin, only five got stabbed into him.” I said, trying to convince myself otherwise.

“I don’t want to give you false hope. You’ve been here long enough to know what the situation is like. Out of ten people you do the test on, seven of them are tested positive.” He said.

I nodded. He was right. The HIV rate here is really high. Unless Junhyung is really, really lucky, it would be highly unlikely that he wouldn’t get infected.

“It should have been me.” I said, burying my face into my palms.

“For all you know, he’s a damn lucky guy. The possibilities are high, but that doesn’t mean we should just mark him as infected without even checking.” He said, hugging me tight.

I pulled away and wiped my tears.

“Thanks. I got to go to him now, I guess.” I said.

“See you later.” He said.

When I turned around, I froze when I saw Junhyung looking at me. He didn’t seem angry, but he seemed genuinely upset.

“I was… about to go to you.” I mumbled.

“It’s him?” My friend asked.

I nodded.

He stretched out his hand to Junhyung as he introduced himself. Junhyung took his hand and bowed slightly.

“Don’t worry. Nothing is confirmed until the tests are done. And even if the first test shows positive, it doesn’t mean you’re definitely infected. We’ll have to do a series of other tests to confirm it.” My friend explained.

Junhyung just nodded tiredly.

“We’ll have to draw blood from you for the tests, so just relax yea.” My friend said as he went to prepare, leaving Junhyung and I alone.

“I’ll stay here with you.” I said.

“You never liked needles. It’s alright. Just wait outside.” He said quietly.

“Yes, I may not like needles, but I’m staying here with you.” I said.

He shook his head and looked away.

“We are just friends. I mean me and the doctor.” I said.

“Don’t need to explain.” He mumbled.

I was about to say further when the door opened again.

“Are you ready?” He asked Junhyung.

Junhyung nodded slightly.

I circled my arm around his waist and rested my chin on his good shoulder.

“It’ll be fine.” I whispered into his ear.

I felt him tensed as the doctor drew his blood. I took a slight glance and saw the tube was really big and the needle was pretty thick. After one tube, I thought it was over, but the doctor poked another needle into his arm.

“Wait, wait! How many tubes of blood do you actually need?” I asked, horrified.

“Four.” He said.

“FOUR!? AND IT’S SO BIG!?” I yelled.

The doctor nodded. I looked at Junhyung. He didn’t seem to be okay at all. By the end of the second tube, he was pale and didn’t seem too awake. Then I suddenly remembered, he is on his period. He would pass out at this rate.

“Stop stop! I mean.. Do it later.” I stopped my friend from drawing the third tube.

“Huh?” He looked at me.

“He is erm… He isn’t very healthy to start with so I don’t think he can endure four tubes at a go.” I hastily made up the excuse.

“Oh. Okay. I didn’t know about that. Then let him rest and I’ll be back later.” He said.

“Can you walk?” I asked Junhyung.

He nodded slightly, but he couldn’t even hold himself up.

I supported his weight, which was pretty easy since he was so light. I helped him to the bed to lie down. He closed his eyes and pounded his forehead with his fist.

“Are you alright?” I asked, massaging his temples.

“My head is spinning.” He mumbled.

“I’m so sorry. I should have remembered about your…” I mumbled.

He shook his head.

“I’m okay. I just need to sleep for awhile.” He said.

I shoved a lollipop into his mouth. He opened his eyes and looked at me blankly.

“Sugar gives you energy. You can sleep. I’ll hold it for you.” I said, feeling pretty stupid in coming up with such an idea.

He laughed slightly but drifted off into sleep quickly. He onto the lollipop like a baby onto the pacifier.

He woke up twenty minutes later. He was still pale, but not as pale as before.

“Why did you wake up so fast?” I asked.

“I’m fine.” He mumbled.

“Ask the doctor to continue.” He said.

“You sure you’re okay? We can always do it later on.” I said.

He shook his head. I threw the stick and called for the doctor. I cringed as I watch the doctor draw another two more tubes of blood from him. By the end of everything, Junhyung had no color on his face and he looked like he was in a daze.

“He can rest here until he is better before leaving. Erm… the results takes about three to five days. In the meantime, no worries, as in, don’t dwell on it or worry too much. But still, look out for symptoms like fever, nauseousness, diarrhea, headache sore throat, tiredness, muscle and joint pains and all. Those typical flu like symptoms. If he has it, bring him back here as soon as possible.” He said.

“Thanks.” I thanked my friend before turning back to Junhyung. His eyes were closed but his fingers were massaging his temples.

I let him rest for awhile as I thought over what the doctor said. The symptoms he mentioned are pretty difficult to look out for in Junhyung. Junhyung is always tired and he is always whining about aches on a daily basis, but that was three years ago, so I don’t really know now. But also he is on his period, therefore there is a high chance he would vomit and be down with a fever.

“Let’s go…” I heard him say weakly.

“Eh? But you’re not even rested.” I said, helping him up.

“I don’t like it here. Let’s go. Don’t worry the boys.” He mumbled.

I helped him into the car and let him lie down.

“Sleep yea.” I said.

He nodded and closed his eyes. I took out the Donald Duck from my bag and put it in his hands. He opened his eyes and looked at me in surprised when he saw it.

“Just hold it.” I mumbled.

“Sure.” He smiled widely, giving it a kiss before sleeping.

As I drove back, I kept looking at him to make sure he was okay. The air condition in the car was pretty useless and the weather was just simply hot. I wind down the windows but there didn’t seem to be much wind in the air too.

Junhyung was curled up asleep facing me. He was frowning and perspiring so much because of the heat. I was lost between trying to fan him and drive or wiping his perspiration and drive. If I simply fan him, the perspiration would soak him and he would eventually wake up. If I just wiped the perspiration off him, he would be so hot and uncomfortable that he would wake up.

Seeing him crouch and trying to sleep in such an uncomfortable position and situation hurt me a lot. I contemplated with myself as I drove and then finally decided to do what I wanted to do.

I admit, if it was another person, I would not do such things. But because he is Junhyung, my Junhyung.