Men's talk

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

“I… You…” I mumbled, still trying to figure out who the hell it was so close to my face.

“How could you not recognize me?” The person removed his sunglasses and smiled at me. Jace. His face bruised.

I felt as thou someone just took off the tightening noose at my neck. I sighed in relieve, thankful it wasn’t another crazy fan or something like that.

“Jace! What the.. hell!?” I frowned at him.

He threw himself onto the couch, bursting into laughter while I glared at him.

“You got a shock, didn’t you? You thought it was some crazy fan boy? Hahahaha!” He continued laughing.

I couldn’t help but laugh as well. I did freak out, but I wasn’t exactly angry.

I tried to sit up, but did not have much strength for it. He watch me struggle for a few seconds before deciding that he should help me.

“What happened... to your.. face?” I asked, looking at the bruises on his cheek and eye.

“Oh my, did an extra bullet actually go through your head!? Or did you conveniently choose to forget what you did so as to feel less guilty?” He asked, sitting back down.

“It’s me?” I asked.

“No, it’s your evil twin.” He said.

“I knew.. it. I’m so.. sorry about him.” I said.

He laughed. Despite the bruises and slightly messy hair, I have to be honest that Jace is really handsome. Haneul and him share the same infectious laughter. Their characters are similar too. No wonder they are friends. And one more thing in common they share is that it’s really difficult to get angry with them. They just have that charm.

“Excuse me, why are you staring at me like that? I’m not whatever you think I am. Sorry but I’m as straight as a ruler!” He said, covering his body.

I picked up the plastic cup next to me and threw it to his direction, but it landed on the floor instead.

“Good try! Given your condition now, it’s really fantastic. Want to go again?” He asked, picking up the cup, handing it to me.

“I’m sorry… about that.” I gestured to my face.

“Nope, it’s cool. Actually it gives me the rights to act mysterious and all behind the sunglasses even at night. Got that celebrity feel, you know? Of course you do.” He said.

“Besides, it’s pretty cool skills your evil twin got there. Look at this distinct bruise. It’s like darker on the outside and lighter on the inside. And this cut here, it’s so skillfully punched that its like no more than 2cm, it doesn’t go over my chin and to my neck, so it’s cool. Overall, it’s a job well done.” He smiled.

I looked at him. I could only smile.

“You’re so skillfully sarcastic… at times… I couldn’t even.. get angry.” I said.

“You want to get angry after I cracked my brain to think of how to make you feel better after doing art on my face?” He asked.

“No, no, no.” I said.

“That’s good. I’ll cut off your oxygen if you do.” He said.

“Where’s… Haneul?” I asked.

“Why? Are you sick of me already? Gosh, I cracked my brain to think of how to give you a memorable morning greeting seeing that you’re stuck here in pain and all. All you asked after so long was ‘What happened to your face?’ and ‘Where’s Haneul?’ Really mean.” He said.

I looked at him and sighed.

“Now you’re sighing even!” He said dramatically.

“I… I can’t exactly… laugh… if you have not… realize it yet.” I said.

“I did. Haha~ Actually it’s pretty awkward talking to you like this. It’s like… talking to my granddad.” He said.

“Thank you… It’s a compliment… I supposed.” I said.

“Absolutely.” He smiled.

He headed to the toilet and came out with a cup of water, toothpaste, toothbrush and a small empty basin. I looked at him as he squeezed the toothpaste onto the toothbrush.

“What are you.. doing?” I asked, surprised.

“Oh. Just making pancakes.” He smiled.

I rolled my eyes at him.

“So, grandpa, do you need me to help you brush your teeth or are you strong enough to do it?” He asked.

“Give it… to me.” I gestured, rolling my eyes at him.

“It’s alright, Jace. It’s alright. You know old men has the wildest temper.” He mumbled to himself as he handed me the toothbrush.

“Eh stop!” He stopped me just as I put the toothbrush into my mouth.

“Wh..at?” I asked, the toothbrush still in my mouth.

“Take off your dentures, don’t you have any?” He asked.

“No. I.. don’t.” I said, staring at him.

“Oh. Hahaha.” He chuckled.

“Can I… brush my teeth… now?” I asked.

“Please.” He did a slight bow.

“Thanks. I said as he took away my stuff after I was done.

“Don’t mention.” He smiled as he disappeared back into the toilet, and then coming back with a towel.

“Is it too cold or too hot?” He asked, handing me a warm towel.

“Just right.” I said.

“Do you need me to help you?” He asked.

I looked at him.

“I’m serious. I mean, I can help you wipe your face. I may not be as gentle as Haneul would be on you, or perhaps I would be even gentler that you may get a shock or something. But I can help you, if you need it. Just look at all the tubes and wires around you. They make you look like you’re dying when you’re actually awake and just perhaps talking a bit slowly.” He said.

“I can do it.” I said, wiping my face with the towel.

He leaned against the table, staring at me. I freaked a little when I saw his face up close again. It got even scarier now that with the sunlight shining into the room behind him, his bruises got so much more obvious.

“What?” I asked, slightly annoyed.

“Has anyone told you…?” He said.

“Told me… what?” I asked.

“That your forehead is abnormally wide. It’s like… oh my…” He tried to measure my forehead with his fingers.

“Don’t bother… measuring. It’s so wide… it’s beyond measurement.” I said, irritated.

Why did people have to keep emphasizing? It’s not like I have not looked at myself in the mirror. It’s not like I was given a range of forehead to choose from when I was formed.

“Hey, don’t get offended. I was just saying. I mean… Alright, sorry.” He said sincerely.

I shook my head.

“It’s fine… I know… It’s… damn wide.” I said.

He just laughed, shaking his head.

“You hungry?” He asked.

“Quite.” I said.

“Well then here.” He said, talking out a small container from the side.

“Ahjumma’s one and only, very famous in the orphanage, porridge for the sick.” He said happily as he opened the cover of the container.

I looked at the porridge. It indeed looked very, very plain. 

“I was just kidding!” He laughed, handing me the spoon.

“It’s delicious. I mean, seriously.” He said.

“I’ll eat… anything now.” I said.

“Right, hungry man is a greedy man~” He said happily as he chewed on his sandwich.

“I’m not… greedy.” I said, shoving a spoonful of porridge into my mouth.

“I’m.. just hungry.” I said.

“Right, right. Just don’t choke, or else I’ll be dead before the doctor could come.” He smiled.

“Why?” I asked.

“Haneul would be flying in with a knife in her hand. She’ll slit my neck and hang me upside down to bleed me dry.” He said.

I gave him a disgusted look.

“Eat, eat.” He gestured.

“Oh. Jace. Thank you.. for that.. day.” I said.

“What day?” He asked.

“That day.” I said.

“Oh. That day~ Ha. Don’t mention. I guess your education in Anyang paid off well.” He said.

“It’s my.. evil twin… who hit you.. remember? And, you’re not.. that bad.. yourself.” I smiled.

“I just have a high level of adaptability.” He said.

“Like a… chameleon?” I asked.

“Oh please! Chameleon!? Did you just compare me to a freaking chameleon!? I am obviously better looking, no!?” He asked.

I laughed out, almost choking to death. He pat my back, laughing as well.

“I’m a chameleon?” He mumbled.

“Even if I’m a chameleon I’ll be like the best looking one.” He grumbled.

“You’ll win any… contest the… chameleon has~” I smiled.

“What contest?” He asked.

“I don’t know… Mr Chameleon Universe… or something.” I said.

“OH GOD!” He shoved the entire piece of bread into his mouth.

/FLASHBACK

Hello?” Jace answered.

“Jace?! Why did you let Haneul go alone!?” I yelled.

“Go alone to where!?” He yelled back, obviously pissed as well.

“Why did you let her leave you to go for Tae Hyun and Ji Eun alone!? Don’t you exactly know how dangerous that freaking place is!? I mean, where is your sense!?” I yelled.

I heard him drop something onto the ground.

“Look here, Mr Yong! Don’t you already know your own girlfriend’s temper!? Was I able to not let her go!? Do I sound like I am really relaxed about her going alone!? Can’t you see… No. Obviously you can’t see. But whatever! I am here trying to fix this ing tire so I can speed to her right now! If you aren’t going to stop by to give me a hand, then stop ing because you’re not the only worried one! Might as well focused on your driving and perhaps get there faster!” He yelled back at me.

“I’m sorry, Jace. I was just worried. I mean, I’m having a very bad feeling about this entire thing.” I said.

“Me too.” He said, sounding calmer.

“Jace, we need a plan.” I said.

“What do you propose?” He asked.

“I don’t know. It depends on the situation. Can you act?” I asked.

“Act? As in what? Should I be the y lover or the innocent lamb?” He asked.

“JACE!” I yelled, punching the steering wheel in anger. It’s amazing how he could be so angry one minute and then start joking the other.

“Right! I get it! Okay! What do you want me to do!?” He asked.

“I don’t know yet. Just play along. As in, I’m sure you’ll be able to tell what is real and what is not. So just play along. I’ll signal you or something.” I said.

“With your what? Eyes?” He asked.

“No, Jace. I’ll get a crew as well as a director, and then you’ll be cue by ‘3, 2, 1, Action!’ Is it okay?” I asked.

“Perfect.” He said.

“I’m almost there. Be quick.” I said, hanging up the call.

***

“What is… going on?” Jace asked, still oblivious to the situation.

I looked at him, trying very hard to convey my message to him despite the situation. I was gambling. If he got it and played along, then very good for me. Or else, I guess all of us will just die here today.

She let go of me and walked towards Haneul.

“Remember I said I have something to reveal? Now that everyone is here, including your little lover boy, shall we talk about it?” She asked, grabbing Haneul’s chin.

‘Come on, Jace. Come on!’ I thought to myself as I tried to send him signals.

“Let go.” Haneul hissed.

“Of course!” She smiled, pushing Haneul backwards. She would have fell if not for the wall behind. My heart almost dropped.

“Oppa,” She called out to me.

“Oppa!?” Jace yelled, looking at her and me.

‘Jace, come on! You’re better than this!’ I thought.

I tried sending him signals through my eyes to the point it hurt, but he didn’t seem to get it.

“Junhyung, what the is…” Before Jace could grab hold of me, the girl pointed a knife at his throat.

“No one touches my Junhyung oppa.” She hissed.

Jace froze, turning to look at Haneul, and then at me. I tried hard to keep a straight expression for I fear the mad woman would find out.

“Oppa, look at these.” She said, taking out a stack of photos and handing them to me.

It was photos of Jace and Haneul being really close. I would have been really angry if I didn’t know better, but I knew. I was honestly pretty jealous thou, but I had no time for it. I looked through the photos before looking up, trying to look as angry as possible.

“Oppa, you hid me all along because you were afraid she would get upset. But see what she has done behind your back!” She yelled, knife still at Jace’s throat.

“I know. All along, I knew.” I said, glaring at Haneul.

She looked so sorry, so scared and so confused. I never wanted to see her like that, and worse still, the reason behind it is me. I am the one scaring her. But the game has to go on.

“Son of a .” I hissed, staring hard at Jace.

“You take me for a fool?” I grabbed Jace’s collar, yanking him closer to me.

I looked into his eyes, trying very hard to get him to play along. He looked at me, slightly confused, but I think he was getting it.

“You think I don’t know whatever you and Haneul have been doing behind my back? You think I am a fool!?” I yelled, punching him hard.

He did not return punch. I think he got it.

“Even if you wanted to cheat behind my back, at least do a proper job and don’t get caught! Stupid!” I yelled, punching Jace again.

He let me hit him. I tried to avoid hitting him hard, but sometimes, it slipped.

“Just… punch like how you would.” He whispered.

I shoved him hard against the wall.

“ you!” I yelled as I kick Jace to where Tae Hyun and Ji Eun lie on purpose. I wanted him near the kids so as to protect them just in case this woman went mad. Wait, what am I saying? She is mad.

Jace fell to the floor, coughing and bloody all over. I looked at him apologetically, trying my best to tell him ‘I’m sorry’ through my eyes. He smiled weakly at me, nodding as thou he got it. He crawled over to Tae Hyun and Ji Eun, protecting them with his body as he tried to collect himself.

/END OF FLASHBACK

“I cannot imagine… if you did not.. get my message.” I said.

“I can’t imagine too. Honestly, I was so shocked. But then suddenly it felt like I got hit by something and I just snapped out of it.” He said.

“But come to think of it, you were really jealous, weren’t you?” He asked.

“What?” I looked at him.

“You were really jealous after seeing those photos, weren’t you? Your punches were so… brutal.” He said.

“I… You were… the one who asked… me to punch.” I said.

He just smiled.

“Okay… I was a… tad bit.. jealous.” I admitted.

He laughed out, nodding his head.

“But mate, you see. She’s yours, not mine.” He said.

I shook my head.

“What? You don’t want her?” He asked, grabbing my collar.

“Of course… I want her…” I said.

“Of course you do.” He smiled.

“Are you… bipolar?” I asked.

“What? Bipolar? I’m just happy, Junhyung ah~” He said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because… she has you and you have her, and Tae Hyun and Ji Eun. Like one big family.” He smiled.

“You’re… welcome to.. join.” I said.

“What is my role then? The lazy uncle?” He laughed.

“Perhaps.” I said.

“I have something… to tell you.” I said.

“What’s with the seriousness? Please. I’m straighter than a ruler.” He said.

I rolled my eyes at him.

“I’m planning to.. officially adopt Tae Hyun and.. Ji Eun. I want them.. under my family.. register.” I said.

“Oh.” His voice dropped, so did his expression.

“Jace… I.. I have no intention… on taking them.. away from you.” I said.

“Haven’t you already did that?” He said with a smile so sad that I felt as thou I just kicked a puppy who was merely asking for food.

I’ve never seen a sad Jace before and I absolutely have no idea how to handle it. My intentions were never to hurt him in any way.

“Jace… I don’t wish.. to do anything.. against your wishes.. I am asking for… your permission.” I said.

He smiled, shaking his head.

“Do as you deemed fit. I mean, I see the bond between you and them. It’s fine. As in, if you want my honest answer, yes, I am pretty upset. It’s like giving my kids away to someone else to call dad. But as much pride as I have, I have to admit you’re a way better dad to them than I am, and they were never mine to start with. So really, I’m glad you’re willing thou.” He said with a smile that seemed force.

“Jace… I… I don’t wish… to be taking anything away.. from you. Even thou I’ve adopted them… you’ll always… be their Daddy.” I said.

He smiled and nodded.

“So you and Haneul discussed it already?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“I have not.. told her. But I want to.. get your permission.. first.” I said.

He laughed and nodded.

“It’s a good thing thou. They’ll finally have a stable family. Just look at me, I can’t give them that kind of warmth Haneul and you can give them.” He said.

“You’re a great… father… Jace.” I said.

“So are you.” He smiled.

“I know this question is stupid, but I still have to ask you.” He said.

“What?” I asked.

“You are serious about Haneul, right?” He asked.

I almost laughed.

“Of course.” I said.

“Haneul has never been happy in Korea, until she met you. I guess I don’t need to talk any more about her character, you should know it like your lyrics book. Haneul likes to push people away, for some strange reason. I know it’s difficult to tolerate being pushed away too. Sometimes you just want to leave her and make her come back for you instead, don’t you? Say no and I’ll know you’re lying. You did it a few times, didn’t you?” He said.

I just smiled. Of course, I did. But it didn’t feel good.

“You’re the only one who can make her go back to you. But promise me Junhyung, no matter how much she push you away, no matter how angry you are, after you calmed down, please, please always go back to her first. Even if you meet her in the middle, don’t let her take that step to reach you. Be the first to hold her.” He said.

I smiled and nodded.

“Gosh, why am I saying this to you? You’re like her forever boyfriend.” He laughed.

“This action is mandatory. Bear with it.” He said.

Before I could ask what it was, he grabbed the collar of my top, startling me.

“Hurt her and I’ll…” Before he could finish, the door opened.

“JACE!!” Haneul yelled, smacking him on his back countless times.

“WHAT EXACTLY WERE YOU DOING!?” She scolded as she hit him.

I tugged onto her to stop her.

“He’s not.. hurting me. He’s not..” I said.

She looked at me, then back at Jace.

“Don’t you ever do that again!” She frowned.

“Lionny.. Don’t be… angry. It’s not good.” I eyed her belly.

Her expression softened and she smiled.

“I was just warning him to never hurt you, violent thing!” Jace pouted.

“Why are you here?” Haneul asked.

“Why? Jealous that I woke up earlier than you and got here first?” Jace asked.

Haneul glared at him, not saying anything.

“Men’s talk, Skye. We were having a men’s talk.” Jace winked at me.

“What did you all talk about?” Haneul asked, looking at me.

“It’s called men’s talk for a reason, Skye.” Jace said.

I shrugged my shoulders, smiling at her.

“Fine. When did you two become the best of friends huh?” She asked.

“We have always been the best of friends.” Jace smiled.

My hand unconsciously rested on Haneul’s belly as we continued to talk.

“Is there… something I don’t know?” Jace asked suddenly.

Haneul and I look at each other.

“What?” Haneul asked.

Jace raised his brow, looking at my hand on Haneul’s belly. I quickly retrieved my hand, looking away.

“Erm…” Haneul bit her lower lip, looking at me.

“So? Is there something?” Jace frowned.

“He’s gotta know sooner or later.” Haneul said.

“It’s… your choice.” I smiled.

Haneul took a deep breath and looked at me, then at Jace.

“I’m pregnant.” “She’s pregnant.” We said in unison.

“WHAT!?” Jace yelled, his expression darkened, glaring hard at me.

I could feel all the blood from my face drain away.

“Come on, Jace! Relax!” Haneul tried to calm him.

“Haneul! You’re like an expert in protection! How could you not use it!?” He yelled.

“What’s wrong with you, Jace!? It’s not like he is some random guy! Junhyung is my boyfriend, and it’s not like we’re going to abort the baby.” Haneul said.

“I’m taking… responsibility.” I said.

“Can you!?” Jace asked dangerously.

“Why not?” I asked.

“Jace, please. Calm down. We’re not like sixteen anymore. We’re adults.” Haneul said.

Jace burst into laughter.

“You guys are damn fun to tease! Especially you Junhyung! You totally gone pale!” He continued laughing.

I sighed at my stupidity. Who gets pranked twice in a morning? Only me.

“Damn you!” Haneul kicked Jace hard on his shin.

“Owww~” Jace collapsed onto the couch, rubbing his shin.

“Sorry kids. I was just having some fun. I believe Junhyung would take responsibility. But Junhyung, it’s not just because of the baby, right?” He asked.

“Of course… not.” I said.

“Gosh, I almost punched you when you stopped at ‘Of course’! But I’ll forgive your condition now.” Jace smiled.

“Come here, baby girl!” Jace said, pulling Haneul into a tight hug.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re a mother to ten kids, you’ll forever be my baby girl.” Jace said.

“Hee~” Haneul chuckled, burying her face into Jace’s chest.

I looked at them hug, and for some reason, I felt no jealousy.

“Baby boy, do you want a hug too?” Jace asked me after pulling away from Haneul.

Haneul and I both gave him the same disgusted look.

“Baby boy!? Did you just call my Junroro ‘Baby boy’!?” Haneul asked.

“You ask him~” Jace winked.

“Alright, I’m leaving. Shan’t be an extra light bulb. It’s bright enough.” He said as he grabbed his stuff.

He left even before we could say goodbye.

“He’s so ninja-ish. Coming and going as and when he desire.” Haneul said.

“True.” I nodded.

“So, what about the ‘Baby boy’?” She asked.

“You… don’t want to.. know.” I said, thinking back about morning’s incident.

“I want to know.” She said.

I sighed and told her. She burst into laughter.

“Oh my gosh he did that!? Hahahahaha!” She laughed.

“Is it.. that funny? I was.. so scared.” I said.

“Sorry, sorry. It’s just.. I can’t believe it.” She laughed.

“Jace can be a , a prankster and a sweetheart all at the same time.” She said.

“Like you… except for… the .. part~” I said.

“What?” She asked, looking at me.

“Nothing. Mix breed of… a lion and.. a rabbit.” I said, shaking my head left and right for the fun of it.

"Stop it." She laughed.

"No." I continued.

"You'll get dizzy!" She laughed.

"No." I stuck out my tongue, continuing to shake my head.

She grabbed my head, but I still managed to shake. She kept laughing. I never knew it was that funny, but then again, Haneul laughs at the slighest thing. She leaned in, kissing me on my lips while still grabbing onto my head. I kissed her, still shaking my head. I could feel her smile in between the kiss. Eventually, I stopped and kissed her properly.

We kissed until a knock on the door forced us to pull apart. She pouted, so did I.

“Never mind.. Later.” I whispered, shaking my head.

"Stop it." She slapped my chest lightly, chuckling.

“Come in.” Haneul said.

We looked at the door to see who it was.

“Is it convenient to talk, Yong Junhyung sshi?” 

It was the police.

***
PhotobucketHead shaking Junhyung

PhotobucketJunhyung: Jace! What the.. hell!?