Happy Joker Day; This is my confession

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

Did I just kiss him!? Oh my god! How embarrassing can I get!? I turned away, hiding my face in my palms. His shocked expression kept flashing in my head. Everything was a blur. It happened so fast. I don’t even know why I did what I did.

“Does this mean…” He broke the silence.

“WHAT!?” I yelled, feeling very embarrassed.

“Sorry.” He mumbled.

I turned to face him. His cheeks were red and he looked kind of scared.

“What?” I asked again.

“Does it mean you.. agree?” He asked softly.

“Agree to what?” I said.

“Be my… Girlfriend.” He mumbled.

“Well, technically I am your girlfriend. I am a girl, and we are friends.” I said.

He looked up with an expression that spelt disappointment and shock.

“I don’t mean it like that.” He mumbled.

“Then what did you mean?” I .

“Girlfriend.” He said really softly.

“What? I can’t hear you! For God’s sake, speak louder!” I shouted.

He flinched and looked as thou he was going to cry. What a priceless and adorable expression.

“Would you be my girlfriend?” He asked.

“I told you I…” He cut me off even before I could finish.

“I don’t mean it that way! I meant it the in a relationship way! The way we could get intimate and really close both in heart and in mind. That kind of relationship where we cannot do without each other! The kind where I can call you mine and you can…!” He shouted but stopped when I started laughing.

“What is it?” He said, showing slight irritation on his face.

“You’re funny.” I said.

“You think it’s funny? You think it’s funny to actually play with my feelings like this? For the past few months, whatever I have been trying to do, you just think it’s funny? You disappeared and left me to suffer here alone, and you think it’s funny? I don’t think it’s funny. I’m being serious here. Why are you laughing at me? Am I some sort of joke? Is my confession to you some sort of joke you can just laugh about!? It’s my true feelings! Why are you so rude!?” He shouted.

“Oww..” I got a shock at his change in temper and accidently bit onto my tongue.

“Are you okay!?” He looked worriedly at me.

“How do you manage to change so quickly?” I said.

“I’m sorry for yelling at you.” He said.

“Well, I’m sorry for keeping you waiting.” I said.

He looked at me.

“Would you be my girlfriend?” He asked.

“Do you think I would come back here just to reject you?” I said.

“Is that a yes?” He smiled.

“Does it sound like a no?” I said.

“Why can’t you just say it?” He pouted slightly.

“Yes.” I said.

“YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” He jumped up and down, running all over the playground, stepping on the candles without even knowing.

“Stop yelling!!” I laughed.

He stopped in front of me, smiling really widely. He stretched out his hands to touch mine but quickly pulled away.

“Can I… Can I.. Touch you?” He asked.

“YOU WANT TO TOUCH ME!?” I shouted.

I pulled the blanket closer to my body and gave him an angry expression.

“NO NO! I DON’T MEAN THAT KIND OF TOUCH! I’m not a ert!” He defended himself.

“THEN WHAT!?” I further. He was really cute.

“ I mean like.. Hold you.. Hug you.. Kiss you.. Just..” He mumbled.

“Like this?” I asked, wrapping my arms around him.

I felt his body stiffen, and then relaxed. He rested his chin onto my shoulder while I covered the blanket over him. Our bodies touched. It felt amazing, having someone so close to you.

“Thank you for accepting me.” He mumbled.

“I may not be the girl of your dreams.” I said.

“You’re already a dream come true.” He said.

“You may end up loving me more than I love you. It’s going to be tiring.” I said.

“I’ll never get tired of loving you.” He said.

“You’re just saying it now.” I said.

“I’m saying it now, but I’ll prove it to you.” He said.

“I’m lacking in a lot of ways, please don’t leave me because of that.” He continued.

“I know you’re lacking.” I laughed.

He looked at me, pouting.

“I told you not to do that. It doesn’t suit you.” I said.

He bit his lips inwards. I pinched his cheeks. He smiled and hugged me tighter.

“This feels good.” He said.

“You sound like a ert.” I said.

“I’m not!” He said.

“You are! And, aren’t you cold?” I asked, realizing he was only dressed in a shirt and jeans.

“I am. So hug me and don’t let go.” He said.

“Eww.. You’re really cheesy you know.” I said.

“I know.” He laughed.

“I washed it already, because I had nothing to do.” I said, putting the pullover I bought over him.

“Nothing to do?” He said, smelling the sleeve and letting out a smile.

“Ya. I was kinda just lazing around these few days.” I said.

“You were just lazing around?” He asked.

“Where were you?” He asked.

“I was here.” I said.

“You never left?” He asked.

“I did. But I came back.” I said.

“When?” He asked.

“Awhile ago.” I said.

“And I saw the performance.” I smiled.

“And you left me to sulk, despite seeing how desperate I was?” He asked.

“I didn’t leave you to sulk! I had to think!” I argued.

“You’re really mean! Do you know how miserable I was!?” He raised his voice.

“What is this? Yelling at me the moment I agreed to be your girlfriend.” I pouted.

“Sorry. I’ll yell at you tomorrow.” He mumbled.

“WHAT!?” I shouted.

“I love you.” He said.

“That’s better.” I smiled.

We lied down on the roof. He held me close to him, as thou afraid I would fall off.

“Did you guess it was me?” I asked.

“I did. Only you would leave a note like this.” He said.

“Like what?” I asked.

He pointed to his lips.

"I was afraid the note would fly away, you see. And you were like a dead man! I initially taped it to your forehead, and then I thought maybe the mouth would be better.” I laughed.

“Why did you hide from me?” He asked.

“I was unsure.” I said.

“Now?” He asked.

“Still unsure.” I laughed.

He looked at me, pouting. I pinched his lips.

“It’s okay. I’ll make you sure of our relationship.” He said.

“Well, I anticipate your attempt.” I said.

“Be prepared.” He said.

“Are you cold?” He asked, rubbing my arm.

“No.” I said.

“OH!!!” I shouted.

He jumped a little, almost slipping off the roof.

“Why did you do this!?” I pulled the Donald Duck down from the pole and shoved it into his face.

He laughed awkwardly at it.

“Why is it so dirty!? And what is this pink thing!? How can you turn it into a girl!?” I shouted.

“Don’t squash my toy like this.” He said, taking it from me.

“YOUR TOY!?” I said, pulling it back.

“You left it all alone.” He said.

“You transformed him into a girl! How could you!?” I slapped his chest.

 “He didn’t protest.” He said, swinging the toy by its hands.

“If he protested, you’ll get a shock of your life.” I mumbled.

I had to admit it was pretty cute. But it was even cuter seeing Junhyung play with it.

“What did you say?” He put the toy close to his ear.

“Ahh. You hate your owner for abandoning you? I know.” He smiled.

“WHAT!?” I shouted.

He pushed the duck onto my lips, making me kiss it. He then looked at me, smiling slightly.

“When you left, I only had him.” He said.

“If you never came back, I don’t know. Maybe I would spend the rest of my life pretending he is you.” He said.

I smiled, pushing the fringe out of his face.

“I know this sounds cliché, but I really cannot do it without you.” He said.

“Don’t say such things.” I said.

“Why?” He asked.

“Because I cannot promise you forever.” I said.

There was a hint of sadness in his eyes, but I didn’t want to give him false hope.

“But I can promise you I’ll try my best to be the girl of your dreams.” I said.

He shook his head and snuggled his face into my chest.

“Just be yourself.” He said.

“Don’t regret what you just said.” I said.

“Never will.” He kissed my cheek.

The weather was cold, but in his arms, all I felt was warmth. At that moment, I think I felt what everyone talks about; infinite. And then suddenly, forever doesn’t seem impossible anymore.