Acknowledged friendship

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

I stepped into class and I saw the teacher lecturing Junhyung. What did he do?

“Shouldn’t you be setting a good example for your peers?” The teacher said to him.

He just looked down and kept quiet.

“Haneul sshi. Come here too.” He said.

“Yes?” I asked.

“You were absent for class yesterday.” He said.

“I wasn’t.” I said.

He frowned at me.

“I was here. But you weren’t.” I said.

“Haneul sshi. Please mind your manners. I clearly wrote on the board the change of venue for our class. The whole class was present except the two of you.” He said.

“Really? You wrote it on the board?” I smiled.

“Yes. Are you challenging me now?” He raised his voice.

“Instead of asking us why we didn’t appear in class, why don’t you ask the class why didn’t we see the message?” I said, looking at the rest of the class.

“We were really here.” Junhyung finally opened his mouth.

The teacher looked at the class, then at us.

“I’ll let it go this time.” He said.

“Thank you.” Junhyung bowed.

I walked off without thanking him. Why should I?

“At least thank the teacher.” Junhyung whispered as we walked up.

Our classmates were smirking as we walked up. One idiot sneakily stretched out his leg to try trip Junhyung. I pulled Junhyung away and gave the fellow a kick in his leg.

“OUCH!!! YOU !! WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?” He yelled.

“Ask yourself.” I said.

“Haneul sshi! Please just go back to your seat and stop creating trouble.” The teacher said.

“Sorry. Sorry.” Junhyung apologized and pulled me up.

I pushed his hand away and settled down in my seat. During break time, I packed my stuff and left.

“Where are you going!?” Junhyung shouted.

I glared at him and he backed away.

“Why are you so angry today?” He asked again.

I ignored him and continued walking.

“Are you angry about yesterday? I’m sorry.” He said.

“Don’t be angry, please?” He put a lollipop in my face.

I pushed it away and sat down on the grass patch at the back of the school.

“You don’t like lollipops? How about chocolates?” He took a bar of milk chocolate out from his bag.

“Don’t like it too? Then what do you like? I have Pepero, chips, gummy bears, chocopie, coke, banana milk and a lot more.” He said as he emptied his bag in front of me.

My eyes widened at the amount of food he has in his bag. Did he prepare for a picnic?

“I don’t know what you like, so I just bought everything. Come on, there has to be something you like. Pick one and forgive me, please?” He shook my arm.

“I know I was rude yesterday. I didn’t mean it. Please. Yell at me or something. Don’t ignore me.” He pleaded.

I looked at him and took the Pepero.

“DOES THAT MEAN YOU FORGIVE ME!?” He smiled.

“No.” I said.

“Ahhh you forgive me, right?” He said.

“No.” I repeated.

“It’s okay. It’s okay. At least you are eating.” He smiled and took the coke.

I took it away from him.

“Eh!! Why?” He asked.

I didn’t answer him. He tried to take it back but I smacked his hand.

“Why wouldn’t you let me have it?” He frowned.

“I want it.” I said. But actually, I thought his stomach wasn’t feeling well. How can he drink coke? Stupid.

“But my coke..” He whined and plucked the grass.

I watch him pout as he eyed the bottle of coke.

“Tsk~” I handed him a stick of Pepero.

He smiled and took a bite. I shoved the whole stick into his mouth.

“Are you not going back to class?” He asked.

“No.” I said.

“Oh. I have been wanting to ask you this. Why did you kick the guy just now?”

“Are you asking because you really don’t know or you just want to hear it from me?” I looked at him.

“I really don’t know.” He said.

“Blind.” I mumbled.

“What?” He asked.

“He tried to trip you, okay?” I said.

“You saved me? Really!?” He squat in front of me.

“Don’t come so close!” I pushed him away and he fell backwards.

He rolled on the grass, smiling like a fool.

I threw the Pepero box at him and got up.

“Where are you going!?” He asked.

“Why do I have to tell you?” I said, walking away.

“Tell me!!!!” He ran after me.

“Toilet! And don’t touch me!” I pushed him away.

“I’ll be waiting for you!” He smiled.

What is he? A five year old? Is he seriously that same Yong Junhyung on stage?

Junhyung’s POV

She saved me. So she doesn’t hate me that much after all, right? I played on my phone while waiting for her to return. I looked at my watch. It was about twenty minutes since she left. Was the toilet that far? She couldn’t have gone home because her bag is still here. I gathered everything and went to look for her.

“I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU TO STAY AWAY FROM JUNHYUNG OPPA!?” I heard someone shout.

“I thought I told you the more I would want to stick myself to him?” Another voice said.

That voice sounded like Haneul’s. I followed the voice and was led to the back stairs.

“You !” The voice shouted and I heard a slap.

“Let’s see if Junhyung Oppa will still want to befriend you if your face is ruined.” I heard her say.

She took out a penknife and smirked at Haneul. Haneul was pinned against the wall by two guys.

“YAH!!!” I shouted.

“Junhyung Oppa!” The girl turned around.

I recognized her. She’s the one from our class.

“What do you think you’re doing!?” I shouted.

“Teaching her a lesson for being so sticky to you! Shouldn’t you thank me!?” She said.

“NO! Are you crazy!?” I tried to snatch the penknife away from her.

“What is she to you!? Why are you so defensive!? I am much prettier!” She pressed the penknife against Haneul’s cheek.

One of the guys came up to me, blocking me from them.

“Go away!” I pushed him but he kicked me in my stomach.

“How dare you touch me!” He kicked me in my stomach again.

Haneul was struggling with the guy’s grip while trying to avoid the ’s penknife.

“Which side should I cut you? Left or right?” I heard her say.

“ you.” Haneul said.

“Well, I guess that means both side.” She pushed up her penknife.

“NO!!!!” I shouted.

I forced myself up and head the guy in his stomach, pushing him against the railings. While I distracted them, Haneul took the chance to push the away. When she dropped the penknife, Haneul kicked the guy and freed herself.

“HOW DARE YOU!!” I heard the yell.

I tried to snatch the penknife away from the ground but she was faster. The other guy grabbed Haneul and twisted her arms to the back, causing her to cry out in pain. I grab the by her waist and pulled her away before she could touch Haneul. I wrestle with her for the penknife while Haneul fought the guy.

“RUN!!!” Haneul shouted.

I pushed the away and kicked the guy who was holding onto Haneul in his back. I grabbed Haneul’s hand and ran. I pushed her to the front while I followed behind her. The guys were chasing after us. I managed to kick them away.

Haneul’s POV

I turned back and saw that they were not after us anymore. Junhyung smiled at me.

“What so funny?” I asked.

“Nothing. Just… Funny.” He smiled.

“Are you hurt?” He asked, checking me for injuries.

“No. Don’t touch me!” I pushed his hands away.

He held onto his side and squat down.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Nothing.. Just..” He couldn’t even finish his sentence.

I pulled his hand away and gasped when I saw blood.

“WHEN DID YOU GET STABBED!?” I shouted, shaking him.

“I don’t know. Maybe.. While running.” He mumbled as he stood up.

“It’s not that deep. It’s fine.” He said.

“I’m bringing you to the hospital.” I said, holding him up.

“No no. It’s fine.” He said.

“YOU GOT STABBED!!!” I yelled.

“Shhh.. Not so loud. It’s just a small cut. I’m fine.” He said.

I pulled up his shirt. The wound indeed didn’t look that serious but it was still bleeding a lot.

“Get me out of school, please.” He said.

“Let’s go to the hospital, okay?” I said.

“No. I can’t.” He said.

“But you’re bleeding a lot!” I shouted.

He shook his head.

“If you take me as a friend, listen to me.” I said, dragging him along.

We boarded a cab and headed to the hospital. I help him with his disguise so he wouldn’t be recognized. He was given three stitches.

“Where is your dorm?” I asked.

“Let’s go to the book store.” He said, looking tired.

I didn’t want to argue with him, so we headed for the book store. I helped him down to the basement and made him lie down.

“Does it hurt a lot?” I asked.

He shook his head and smiled.

“Are you crazy?” I said.

“I said I would shield you, didn’t I?” He laughed.

“Why do you even care?” I asked, feeling guilty.

“Because you’re my friend.” He said.

“Don’t take this friendship too seriously. There are no such thing as friends forever.” I said.

“Whether it is forever or not, it doesn’t matter. It’s the present that I am concerned about.” He said.

I kept quiet and looked away.

“I don’t know why you’re so against this friendship. Do you really hate me so much?” He asked with a hint of sadness in his voice.

“I don’t hate you.” I said.

“Then why? You help me, but you don’t want to acknowledge that we are friends. Why?” He asked.

“I told you, I don’t want to have any reason to stay here.” I said.

“But in your heart, I am already your friend, right?” He said.

He was right, honestly. As much as I deny it, I have unknowingly see him as a friend.

“Just don’t put too much hope in this friendship. It’s not going to last.” I said.

“How do you know?” He asked.

“I just know.” I said.

“Shall we bet? I say it’ll last. It’ll just get better and better.” He said.

“Childish.” I scoffed.

“Why? Are you scared?” He smiled.

“No. Why would I be? Just sleep okay. You’re tired.” I said as I headed for the door.

“Are we friends?” He asked again.

I sighed and nodded slightly.

“Is that a nod?” He asked happily.

“Yong Junhyung, friends and nothing more than that, okay?” I said.

“What do you mean?” He asked.

Junhyung’s POV

“That means, we’ll only remain friends, nothing further than that. If you want this friendship, then it better be kept this way.” She said.

Does that mean I cannot have her as my girlfriend? Does that mean she’ll never like me?

“Deal or not?” She said again.

I looked at her blankly.

“Deal..” I said, despite not meaning it.

 “Thank you.. For saving me.” She mumbled.

“We’re friends, right?” I said.

“Why do you keep repeating the friend thing!? Are you a kid!?” She snapped.

“I’m just happy.” I smiled.

“Just sleep!” She shut the door and went out.

At least now she has acknowledge our friendship, things can be changed, right?