Meeting

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

I looked out of the window while Junhyung kept playing with his tea.

“That’s it. Let’s go.” He said, throwing the spoon onto the saucer.

“Just wait, Junroro.” I said, not looking at him.

“Are you hungry? Want to order some cake or something?” I asked.

“I’m not hungry. I am angry.” He said.

“Please.” I said softly, squeezing his hand.

“She’s downright rude, alright? And I know you’re angry too.” He said.

“Let’s just wait, okay?” I said, calling for the waiter at the same time.

“What can I get you, Miss?” The waiter asked.

“A can of Coke please.” I said.

Junhyung raised his brow. He had his dose of Coke in the morning already and I limited him to only one can a day.

“I thought you said Coke is a terrible creation?” He asked.

“It is.” I said.

“Your Coke.” The waiter said, putting down the can of Coke and a glassful of ice.

“But if it can extinguish that fire around you, it’s a marvelous creation. At least it has one positive use.” I said, pouring the brown liquid into the cup.

I pushed the cup to him.

“Today is an exception.” I said.

“You’re just trying to shut me up.” He said, a small smile creeping up on his lips.

“That’s true, but just a small portion of it.” I said.

“Then what’s the bigger portion?” He asked as he sipped his drug.

“Thank you for coming with me.” I said.

“Silly. They are my kids too, you know.” He smiled.

“I know.” I said, looking at my watch.

We were supposed to meet Tae Hyun and Ji Eun’s mother an hour ago, but up till now, she has not appeared.

“She’s making us wait, on purpose.” I said.

“I thought so too.” He said.

I laughed as he tried to pour out the last few droplets of Coke in the can into his cup.

“It’s empty! Why did you drink so quickly?” I laughed.

“I can’t help it. I wasn’t even gulping it down.” He pouted.

“You were, alright. You were behaving like… I don’t know what animal drinks quickly. Just, you were drinking so quickly. I should have videoed it down, the speed the Coke disappear from your cup.” I said.

“Alright, order me another can and you can video it.” He said.

“Right, so thoughtful of you huh. But, no.” I said.

“But why!? I am doing it for you!” He reasoned.

“Yea, for me huh~” I laughed, looking around.

“There she is.” I mumbled.

He turned to look. The smile on his face vanished completely as she neared us.

“I am sorry. I got caught up with something.” She said, taking her seat in front of us.

“Well, there’s this really wonderful invention called the ‘mobile phone’, I don’t know if you have heard of it. But it works pretty amazingly. It enables one to call or send text messages pretty instantly.” Junhyung said sarcastically.

She narrowed her eyes at him while he glared back. I nudged him under the table but he did not even budge.

“I said I was busy.” She hissed.

“Okay, I get it. You have not heard of that wonderful invention. It’s alright. Well, maybe next time, if there is a next time, you may want to send your pigeon or owl to get the message to us so we wouldn’t have to sit here for an hour like a fool. You’re not the only busy one, you know.” He said.

She shifted her eyes to me, glaring hard at me.

“Who is this rude man?” She asked, obviously pissed.

“Haha~ Speaking about rudeness…” Junhyung scoffed.

What is wrong with him today?

I was about to speak when Junhyung cut me off.

“I guess I need to introduce myself then. Yong Junhyung, Tae Hyun and Ji Eun’s appa.” I said.

“I see, kidnapper number two. How nice would it be if this gets out in the news, hmm?” The woman smirked.

I squeeze Junhyung on his thigh before he could flare up.

“We’re not here to get insulted by you.” I said.

“So, I believe you have your answer for me?” She said.

“Let’s put the interest of the kids before us, shall we?” I said.

She looked at me, as thou waiting for me to continue.

“Going to court will only do more harm than good to them.” I said.

“Well, that’s the only way I can get them back.” She said.

“Please don’t make it sound like Tae Hyun and Ji Eun are some toys. Maybe to you, they are. But to us, they are human, and they deserve all the respect they can get.” Junhyung said.

“So what do you want?” She asked impatiently.

“I want nothing.” I said.

“I’ll let Tae Hyun and Ji Eun go back to you.” I said.

“It’s not that easy, right? Just be honest, how much do you want?” She asked, taking out her chequebook.

Junhyung slammed his palm onto the table hard, startling not only us but also the people around.

“What do you think you’re doing here!? Are they for sale!?” He yelled.

“Lower your volume, please.” I whispered, tugging onto him, trying to calm him down.

“That is very insulting. Keep that. I have no interest in your money.” I said.

“But I have a condition.” I said.

“I knew it. What?” She asked.

“Provided they want to follow you back.” I said.

“What?” She asked, looking surprised.

“I’ll let Tae Hyun and Ji Eun go back to you, provided they want to follow you back. Simple as that.” I said.

“No way.” She said, crossing her arms over her chest, glaring at me.

Junhyung’s POV

“I am not going to court. You can sue me for all I care. I don’t want things to turn ugly, for the interest of them.” Haneul said.

Haneul’s grip on my hand had a calming effect on me, or else I may have splashed the cup of tea onto the woman’s face. What sort of person is she!?

“You think I don’t know what you’re trying to do?” The woman smirked.

“You are afraid to settle in court, therefore you use them as an excuse. Kids are so easy to manipulate. You can brainwash them, how do I know? Or maybe you already did.” She said to Haneul.

“Kids like you these days, trying to be saint or something? What do you even know about being a mother?” She said.

“With all due respect, I believe Haneul here knows more about being a mother than you do.” I said.

“I beg your pardon?” She frowned at me.

“Where were you when Tae Hyun got bullied in school? Where were you when Ji Eun fell sick? Where were you when the both of them cry at night because of nightmares? Do you even know anything about the two of them? Just because you had them in your womb for nine months and gave birth to them doesn’t make you their mother, for your information.” I said.

 “They may be blood related to you, but that’s about it. But they are related in heart, mind and soul with Haneul. Who are to compare? Who are you to talk about being a mother?” I continued.

“Someone who abandons her children and then suddenly appears after three years has no rights whatsoever to call themselves the mother of the children, and further more has no rights to even be asking them back!” I said, pointing at her.

She slapped my hand away. Haneul moved forward, pushing me backwards protectively.

“Don’t you dare slap his hand away like that.” She said dangerously.

“I can go to court with you, you know. My chances of winning is high, you know.” She said.

“Alright. Fine. Then let me spend one week with them.” She said.

“One.. week?” Haneul said, looking at me with a worried expression.

“What? Is only fair, right?” She said.

“You’re free to come to the orphanage, you know.” I said.

“No, I am taking them with me.” She said.

“NO!” Haneul and I shouted in unison.

“Haha! One minute ago you just said your chances of winning is high. If the kids are so attached to you like how you said they are, then what are you afraid of?” She asked.

“I am not afraid of anything! They’ll get scared, okay!? They are just kids!” Haneul shouted.

“No one is afraid of their own mother.” The woman said.

“Oh, if I have a mother like you, hell, I would be so damn afraid.” I said.

She glared hard at me. I smiled at her in return.

Haneul looked at me, as thou asking me what should she do.

“If they are willing to go with you…” I said.

“I’ll pick them up tomorrow at that disgusting orphanage.” She said, taking her handbag.

“Not tomorrow. The day after.” Haneul said.

“And why is that so? You want to say your final goodbyes to them?” She smirked.

“Hey!” I was about to snap at her but Haneul held me down.

“Please.” Haneul pleaded.

I felt so angry seeing Haneul having to plead that woman like that.

“Well, I am open-minded, unlike you. Sure. The day after then.” She said.

“Thank you.” Haneul said.

“No problem.” The woman smirked.

“In the meantime, maybe you want to pop by the nearby bookstore to buy a book on parenting, to perhaps educate yourself a little.” I said, staring at her.

“What are you talking about, brat?” She said.

“Never mind. I think it’s going to be pointless anyway. No amount of books can educate someone like you. Some things like parenting are just inborn, and you just don't happen to not be born with it.” I said.

I grabbed Haneul’s hand and led her out of the restaurant.

“People like her need to be high five in the face with a freaking chair!” I grumbled.

“I KNOW RIGHT! That !” Haneul yelled suddenly, startling me.

Of course I should have expected this reaction. This is Haneul we’re talking about here.

“Let’s go buy a chair.” I said.

“Why do we need to spend money? Just pick one from the junkyard. The ugliest one.” She said.

“With the most rust.” I said.

“And perhaps one with a broken leg or something so there would be a sharp edge.” She said.

“It has to be strong enough too or else it may not be able to have any effect on that thick skin of hers.” I said.

“Let’s go and find one now.” She said.

“Okay let’s go.” I said.

But we ended up in an ice cream store.

“Is this the right thing to do?” Haneul asked, poking her ice cream.

“I feel like I am putting them up for some auction. I feel like I am using them.” She said.

I pulled her closer to me, kissing her hair.

“You are not.” I said.

“I feel so bad. I am not afraid of losing them. As in, I will be upset if they decide to go with her in the end, but I am more afraid of how they would feel. Would they think I hate them too that’s why I am doing this? Honestly I don’t even want them to choose. I said going to court will only make things worse because they have to choose and I want to prevent it, but aren’t I doing the same thing to them now?” She said, clutching onto my shirt, her tears dripping onto my hand.

“There’s no win-win situation in this, Darling. I know it’s tough, I know it’s cruel, but it’s not like we can just take them and fly to some country and hide forever.” I said.

“Let’s do that!” She said, looking up at me.

“Lionny~” I sighed.

“I know, I know.” She mumbled.

“We’ll take them out tomorrow, and then we’ll explain things to them, okay?” I said.

“They are good kids. They will understand, and trust their choice.” I said.

She sighed and continued poking her ice cream.

“Don’t poke the ice cream like that.” I said.

“You finish it.” She said, pushing it to me.

“You’re rejecting ice cream!?” I looked at her.

She smiled slightly and smacked me on my arm.

Haneul’s POV

“Ouch!” Junhyung yelled, dropping the spoon back into the bowl, holding onto his mouth.

“What is wrong? Did you bite yourself?” I asked worriedly.

“AHE AHE AHE AHE AHE~!” He said with his tongue stuck out.

I couldn’t even make out what he was saying.

“What?” I asked.

“The ice cream bit me!” He repeated.

“The ice… Yah!” I laughed, smacking him.

“It’s true!! You see!” He stuck out his tongue.

“Stop doing this. You’re not a snake.” I said, covering his mouth.

“Come on, the ice cream don’t want to be eaten by me, that’s why it bit me. It only wants to be eaten by you.” He said, taking a spoonful of ice cream, putting it at my mouth.

“Eat me, eat me.” He imitated in a weird voice.

I looked at him.

“Or else I’ll bite off Yong Junhyung’s tongue.” He said in a weird voice.

“Then bite off his tongue.” I said.

He pouted at me.

I realize I couldn’t turn ice cream down after all, so I ate it anyway.

“There, I knew you couldn’t not eat ice cream.” He said, wiping my mouth for me.

“You forced me to.” I said, not wanting to admit that he is right.

“Yea, yea. I forced you into eating it.” He smiled, shaking his head.

“I saved your tongue, okay?” I said.

“Yea, yea. You saved my tongue.” He laughed.

“Stop it.” I smacked his chest.

“Stop what?” He asked.

“That stupid smile.” I pouted, but couldn’t help my smile.

“Which stupid smile are you talking about? Oh! The one that you love so much, is it?” He asked, grinning.

“No! What are you talking about?” I said, pushing him back as I walked off.

He caught up with me quickly. He kept smiling into my face.

“Stop behaving like an idiot!” I laughed.

“But I am an idiot for you!” He crossed his eyes.

“Alright! Remain cross-eyed then!” I said.

“What?!” He looked at me, still cross-eyed.

“Remain like this.” I laughed.

“But you got to hold onto me or else I’ll fall.” He said, grabbing onto my hand.

We continued walking, looking at stuff as we walked along.

“Junroro, is this…” I burst into laughter before I could finish my sentence.

He was still cross-eyed.

“WHAT!?” He yelled.

“Stop it!” I laughed.

“What?” He asked.

“That eye! Stop it!” I said.

“You are confused aren’t you?!” He yelled, going back to normal.

“Ahh my eyes hurt.” He rubbed his eyes.

“I never expected you to really do it, idiot.” I laughed, massaging his eyelids.

“I told you I am an idiot for you.” He pouted.

***

tumblrm1wclk17xw1r4p861.gifJunhyung: Well, there’s this really wonderful invention called the ‘mobile phone’, I don’t know if you have heard of it. But it works pretty amazingly. It enables one to call or send text messages pretty instantly.
 
tumblrll4a09sgpx1qcgseg.gifJunhyung: No amount of books can educate someone like you.
Some things like parenting are just inborn, and you just don't happen to not be born with it.
 
tumblrloadqr3yck1qzh5sn.gif
Junhyung: AHE AHE AHE AHE AHE~!
 
tumblrlux3rfhipt1qi6zcb.gifPlease just pretend this is Junhyung hahaha~ 
 
tumblrm2xmn4a53x1r9z0l8.gifJunhyung: I am an idiot for you~
 
tumblrlyk7yxygoq1ro2mqx.gif I don't need to say anything about this, do I?