First to know

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

Junhyung stared at me, gasping.

“Calm down, Junroro! Calm down! Gosh! I shouldn’t have told you!” I pat his chest lightly, trying to calm him down.

“I… I… I…” He tried to speak but was obviously breathless.

“You what!? Wait, I’m calling the doctor!” I said.

I tried to go but he pulled me back.

He shook his head, breathing deeply.

“I’m… I’m… Okay.. Just.. Ha.. Wait..” He breathed again.

“Slowly, please.” I patted his chest.

The heart rate monitor went back to normal, indicating that he should be okay.

“Drink some water.” I said, putting at straw at his mouth.

“Better?” I asked.

He looked at me with a wide grin.

“Really? Is it… true?” He asked.

“Would I lie about this?” I said, wiping the corner of his mouth.

“I’m… I’m… going to.. be a dad. Ha.. Haha..” He said to himself.

It was funny hearing him laugh like that.

“You want the child?” I asked.

“OF COURSE!!” He yelled.

He shot up but I pulled him down.

“Shh shh. Okay, okay. I was just asking. I don’t mean anything. Don’t get so worked up.” I said, hugging him.

“Don’t ever… ask such things. Of course… I want the.. child.” He said.

“Sorry~” I kissed his cheek.

“Do they… know?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“Why?” He asked.

“Of course the daddy has to know first, right?” I said.

He grinned, smiling at my belly, in which made me a tad bit uncomfortable.

“When… did you… know? Why didn’t… you tell me.. earlier?” He asked.

“I wasn’t sure.” I said.

He looked down for a while, and then he looked up suddenly, grabbing my hand.

“Does that mean… you went to look for that… that.. crazy… alone.. despite knowing.. you’re pregnant..!?” He stared hard at me.

“I’m sorry.. Shhh~” I calmed him.

It freaked me out each time I see the line on the heart rate monitor rise.

“Why?” He sounded sad.

“I never expected that. I mean… I never expected those to happen, and I wasn’t sure.. In any case, I know I have my faults and I’m sorry.” I said.

“But the baby is safe, right?” I said, poking his hand.

“You know… my main concern has… always been you. With… or without… the baby.. your safety would be… my priority.” He said.

I nodded.

“Lionny… Would you… please… start listening… to me.. from now? I was so scared… When I knew you were alone… I was so scared… I had a bad… feeling.. a very… very bad… feeling.. And I turn out… to be right.” He said.

“I’ll listen to you from now on. You’re the King. Your words are final.” I said.

He smiled, tugging onto my shirt to pull me down. He pressed his lips softly against mine. We couldn’t kiss fiercely, not in his condition.

“But, while you’re still healing, you are to listen to me.” I said.

“When have I… never?” He said, smiling.

“That’s true.” I said.

Junhyung’s POV

All these did not feel true. I never expected myself to survive the bullet in my chest. Even more, I never expected to wake up to such news. I am going to be a Dad.

Of course, I have always been very happy treating Tae Hyun and Ji Eun like my own. I have always been very happy hearing them call me ‘Appa’. But my own child, not just mine alone. Mine and Haneul’s child. My own flesh and blood. It just did not feel real. Me? Yong Junhyung? Really?

I want to jump up, scoop her in my arms and twirl her around. I want to kiss her all over and yell loudly to the whole world that I am going to be a Dad soon. But as regretful as it may be, I can’t.

“Are you okay?” Haneul asked.

“Just… thinking.” I said.

“Thinking about what?” She asked.

“About… is all these… real? Am I… Really that.. lucky?” I said.

She laughed loudly.

“Junroro! Of course all these are real! And what do you mean by lucky hmm?” She asked.

“Having a baby… with you… Such a wonderful girl… How could this… possibly be true… I mean… I am just.. Yong Junhyung…” I said.

“You said it, didn’t you? You’re Yong Junhyung. And you deserve all the goodness in the world. Besides, I’m not wonderful, you know that.” She said.

“You’re wonderful.” I managed to say without feeling breathless.

She looked at me, shaking her head.

“To me… You’re wonderful.” I said.

“You’re just blind.” She chuckled.

“You just… cannot see yourself. You just cannot see… the goodness in you.” I said.

“I’m not good, I never was. I threaten kids. I haul vulgarities. I disrespect older people. I scream at you all the time. I’m violent and rude. I curse the government. I break rules. I am not environmentally friendly. I litter. I think of stealing. I think of murdering some people. I speed all the time. I’m just.. I’m just me. I’m honestly not that great. I mean, you just make me sound great because well.. I don’t know.” She said.

One thing that hurts me most about Haneul is how she doesn’t see the positive traits about herself. She can go on and on telling someone why life is worth living, but she doesn’t seem to use it on herself.

“Your imperfections… are what make you beautiful… and real.” I said.

“My Lionny… You have to remember.. You’re human… Even angels… break the law… at times.” I said.

“I don’t care… what bad things you do… Because no one is… perfect… Everything you said… I did it too… and I did.. more… So,… I am terrible… too, no?” I said.

She shook her head.

“You’re not the… greatest person… in the world. But… you’re the… greatest… for me.” I said.

“If I were… to list out the… good things you do… I’ll have to… wait until… I recover… Because… I’m going to take… forever… having to talk.. like that.” I said.

She laughed, slapping my thigh lightly.

“Then don’t talk. I get it, I get it. Just… you know. Yea~” She sighed.

“You don’t… get it… Okay… I’m going to… list. Even if I… have to use… that oxygen mask again… I’ll do it…” I said.

“No, no, no. Okay! I get it! Really!” She covered my mouth.

“For the… next nine months… You’re to… stay in bed.” I said.

“What? No! Crazy!” She laughed.

“If you said… Okay… I’ll start to… worry… that you are… not my Lionny.” I said.

“Yah!” She frowned.

“But… promise me.. Until I’m well enough… to take care of you.. Please… take very, very… good care of… yourself.” I said.

She nodded.

“Then you get well soon.” She said.

I put my hand on her belly. She looked at me.

“Sor.. Sorry.. I didn’t… mean to be… rude.” I said, pulling my hand back.

“What? No! Silly! I don’t mean it that way! I was just surprised. Come on, you’re the father of the baby.” She guided my hand back to her belly, pressing my hand lightly against it.

“Why… Don’t I feel… anything?” I asked.

She laughed, shaking her head.

“Please! It’s just a month. What do you expect to feel!?” She said.

It’s nice seeing her laugh so much.

I kept my hand on her belly, caressing it lightly.

“Ha.. Ha… Haha..” I laughed.

“What’s wrong?” She asked.

“My baby… I am going to be.. a dad. Just thinking… about it… Makes me… Haha.. Hahahaha…” I laughed.

“Don’t get too excited. Please. You can laugh all you want when you’re better. The child is yours and will always be.” She said.

I glanced at the clock. It was 9PM already.

“Go.. Go home.” I said.

“What? No. I’m staying here with you, remember?” She said.

“No, no.. Go home.. and rest properly. You need it.” I said.

“I don’t feel good leaving you here alone.” She pouted.

“I.. I am not.. alone. I have all of you… here..” I pointed to my chest, where my heart lies.

“But… No.. I’ll rest on the couch.” She said.

“You just.. said.. you’ll listen..” I pouted.

“But you’re alone!” She pouted as well.

I sighed.

“Alright! Alright! But… if you get bored or scared or whatever, you have to call me, okay?” She said.

“I’m not… a baby..” I smiled.

“You’re always a baby to me.” She poked the tip of my nose lightly.

“Bring… Donald Duckie… and.. Daisy.. Duckie.. tomorrow.” I said.

“Alright. Rest, okay? Sleep.” She covered the blanket over me, kissing me on my forehead.

“I love you.” She said.

“I.. I love you.. too.” I said, kissing her cheek.

She grabbed her stuff and sighed.

“I really can’t stay?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Go.” I said.

She pouted and nodded.

“I’ll miss you.” She said.

“I’ll miss… you too.” I said.

“Then I stay!?” She asked happily.

“No. I’ll miss you.. But… I rather you.. rest well. Go.” I said.

“Alright, alright. See you tomorrow.” She said.

“Lionny~” I called out before she stepped out.

“What? Change your mind?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Then?” She asked.

“Thank.. you. You.. You make me.. feel like.. the luckiest… man on Earth.. Like.. as thou… I don’t deserve all.. these.. but I just.. somehow.. have it.” I said.

“Tell what you said to me just now to yourself, Junroro.” She smiled.

“What?” I asked.

“Your imperfections are what make you beautiful, and real. Like I said, you deserve all the goodness in the world, Darling.” She said.

“Love you..” I smiled.

Before she head out, I called out for her again.

“What? Really? You miss me, don’t you? I might as well stay.” She said.

“No no. I.. Can you.. Pika.. again?” I asked.

She banged her head against the wall lightly, her back facing me.

“It’s okay if you d..” She cut me off before I could finish.

She turned to face me, her fists balled up at her cheeks, her eyes opened wide.

“PI~~KA!!” She said cutely.

I almost fainted.

“My heart… Ha.. Haha.. Oh no.. So.. so cute..” I said breathlessly.

“Are you okay!?” She laughed.

I shook my head, trying to laugh properly at the same time.

“I should stay!” She said.

“No, no. Okay. I’m.. I’m good. Go.. Go..” I smiled.

“Really?” She asked.

“Go, Lionny. Text me.. when you’re home.” I said.

She nodded, and left for real this time.

I stared at the door for quite some time, trying to process everything that happened today.

“I’m going to be a dad.” I mumbled to myself.

I burst into laughter just thinking about it. I had a hard time calming myself down. If only my chest did not hurt, imagine the things I would do upon hearing such news.

***

I felt someone touch my cheek lightly. I tried to open my eyes, but I guess the tiredness in me prevented me to. I tried to shake off the hand, but it did not go away, instead, it started caressing my cheek lightly.

“Wakey wakey~” The voice said.

It did not sound like Haneul. It sounded… manlier.

I shook my head, trying to open my eyes.

“Wake up~” The voice said again.

I managed to force one eye open, but I closed it again because of the sunlight.

“Open your eyes.” The voice said softly.

“Mmm~” I groaned.

“Come on~” The voice said.

“Who are… you..?” I mumbled, forcing my eyes open.

The figure in front of me was very close to me, but I couldn’t see well.

“It’s me, Baby.” The voice said.

My eyes shot open. I gulped and almost stopped breathing.

“Good morning, Baby.” He said with a smile.

My blood ran cold.

***
PhotobucketJunhyung: *hand on Haneul's belly* Why can't I feel anything?

PhotobucketJunhyung: My baby… I am going to be.. a dad. Just thinking… about it… Makes me… Haha.. Hahahaha…

PhotobucketJunhyung: *If only my chest did not hurt, imagine the things I would do upon hearing such news.