Hidden emotions

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

We stood outside Junhyung’s family house, staring at the mansion in front of us. I took a slight glance at Junhyung, he was staring at the house with no expression at all, but I knew there were a lot going through his head.

Throughout the ride here, he was silent with that ‘I hate the fact you are putting me through this’ expression on his face. I knew he was dreading it, and so was I. Tell me again why did I suggest to go to his parents first?

He let out an audible sigh.

“Let’s go in.” He mumbled under his breath.

“You don’t wish to go in, am I right?” I asked, grabbing his wrist.

He turned to look at me.

“You are dreading it too, aren’t you?” He said.

I nodded once, looking away.

“Then let’s go back.” He said.

I shook my head.

“We can’t keep escaping. I mean, what has to come will come. We’ll just.. we’ll.. It’ll be fine.” I said.

“Really?” He asked.

“I think so.” I said.

“You’re right. It’ll be fine.” He said, cupping my cheeks, smiling for the first time today.

I nodded, kissing him on his lips.

We walked up to his door step hand in hand.

“Ready?” He asked.

“Whenever you are.” I smiled.

I in a deep breath before pressing onto the door bell.

“Is it Junhyung?” The voice from the caller machine said.

“Yes.” Junhyung replied simply.

The door clicked open and he pushed it open.

A middle aged woman came out from the kitchen, smiling widely at Junhyung.

“Son!” She smiled, throwing herself into his embrace.

“Umma.” He greeted.

“Hi, Junhyung.” A deeper voice said from behind.

Junhyung broke apart from his mom. He stared at the male figure for a few seconds before silently calling out ‘Appa’

The atmosphere was awkward until a loud stomping voice greeted us.

“HYUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!” A boy about Junhyung’s age shouted from the second level.

Junhyung let out a bright smile.

“HYUNG!!!!!!!” The boy shouted again as he ran down the stairs, throwing himself onto Junhyung.

“Umpf.” Junhyung groaned as he caught the boy.

“I MISSED YOU!!!!” The boy shouted, kissing Junhyung on his cheek.

“EEKS!! What are you doing!? Is this what you learn the States!?” Junhyung yelled, looking slightly disgusted, but smiling widely at the same time.

“Aiee hyung! I missed you!” His brother said, calming down after awhile.

“I missed you too, rascal.” Junhyung ruffled his brother’s hair.

“Hyung, who is that pretty girl standing behind you? Hmm?” His brother wiggled his eyebrows at Junhyung, and then turning to smile at me. I responsed with a small nod and a smile.

“Stop doing that, ert!” Junhyung laughed, flicking his brother’s forehead.

“OWW!!” His brother whined dramtically.

Junhyung turned to me, smiling softly. He stretched out his hand, taking mine into his. He gestured me to introduce myself.

“Hello. My name is Haneul.” I said, bowing slightly at them.

They all stared at me as thou I was some alien. I looked at Junhyung, not knowing what else to say.

“She’s my girlfriend.” Junhyung said.

“Ohhh~” They mumbled, nodding slightly.

“And she was also the one who was sent those letters.” He said to his parents.

“Oh.” His mom said, smiling at me.

“Thank you.” She smiled.

“It’s nothing.” I shook my head, smiling back.

“It meant a lot, actually.” His dad spoke for the first time.

“Hee..” I couldn’t think of a better response apart from smiling like a fool.

“And this is Junsung, my stupid brother.” Junhyung said, smiling proudly, poking his brother’s arm.

“Right. Stupid, like you.” His brother stuck out his tongue.

“Hello.” I greeted.

“Are you my noona? Or perhaps, dongsaeng?” He asked, smiling happily.

“I… I don’t know.” I said.

“Ouh… It’s okay! Just call me oppa then!” He beamed.

I looked at Junhyung who narrowed his eyes at his brother.

“Oppa? You want my girl to call you oppa? Are you perhaps… tired of living? Hmm?” He asked.

“Uh no. Hyung… Don’t… Your girlfriend is here. It’s going to look ugly oh AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” He screamed as Junhyung grabbed his shoulder.

He shrugged it off easily and the two of them started chasing each other around the house. I was startled. I did not expect that. Instead of embarrassment, I thought it was quite cute; his relationship with his brother. His parents just looked at their running sons and sighed.

“Boys…” His dad mumbled.

“Sorry about that. So embarrassing.” His father apologized.

“No. It’s fine. It’s cute. I mean.. they’re so close. It’s pretty cool.” I said.

“Yea, they are close. I guess it’s a bond that would never change no matter how far apart they are.” His father said.

“Well… Blood is thicker than water, no matter what.” I said.

He looked at me.

“Sorry… Did I… say something wrong?” I asked, feeling scared out of a sudden.

“Wrong? No no! You’re absolutely right. I just never expected such words from a girl like you.” He said.

“Like me?” I asked, confused.

“So young, like you. I don’t mean anything insulting.” He said.

“No, it’s fine.” I smiled.

“Come, sit down.” His father gestured me to the sofa.

I took a glance at his mother before walking off. She did not look too happy.

“Junhyung has never been exactly close to us.” His father said.

“I see.” I mumbled, looking at the two of them run around the house, screaming at the top of their lungs.

“As embarrassing as it may be, it’s actually quite nice seeing them still chase each other like they are three.” His father laughed, watching his sons have fun.

“That’s true.” I smiled, watching Junhyung pounced onto his brother.

“It’s okay that Junhyung is cold with us. Seeing him and his brother so close, I know he’s still our Junhyung.” His father said.

I turned over to look at him.

“It’s our fault he is this cold to us. He was cold in the past, he is even colder now. But it’s alright.” He smiled sadly.

“Junhyung… loves both of you very much.” I said.

“I know. But we don’t deserve it, do we?” He said.

“I…” I was lost for words.

“RASCAL!!!” Junhyung laughed as he neck lock his brother, dragging him down the stairs.

“You’re the rascal!!” Junsung jabbed Junhyung in his stomach.

“Are you going to start it again!?” Junhyung yelled, grabbing his brother’s hand.

“Ahhh no no! Aww hyung~~~” Junsung pouted.

“Yucks.” Junhyung pushed his brother away, throwing himself onto the space next to me.

“Hee~” He turned to smile at me, resting his head on his shoulder.

His cheeks were flushed, he was panting and sweaty.

“Junhyung~” His father called out.

Yea?” Junhyung responded, glancing briefly at his father.

“Bring your friend around the house, perhaps?” His father suggested.

“Come, Lionny.” Junhyung smiled, taking my hand into his.

“I’m coming too!” Junsung beamed, jumping up.

“Sit back down!” Junhyung yelled, kicking his brother on his knee.

“BAD HYUNG!!!!” Junsung yelled, sticking out his tongue at Junhyung.

“BAD DONGSAENG!!” Junhyung yelled back, sticking out his tongue as well.

I giggled at the sight of their childishness.

“See! She’s laughing at you!” Junsung said.

“She’s laughing at you!” Junhyung responded.

They continued arguing before looking at me.

“WHO ARE YOU LAUGHING AT!?” They yelled in unison.

“Huh? What? Me.. Oh… I’m laughing at myself.” I said hurriedly.

“She meant she’s laughing at you! Okay, enough! Shut up! I win! No more talking!” Junhyung said, pointing at his brother.

He led me up to his room.

“Go wash up. You’re so sweaty.” I said, taking off his jacket.

“Give me a minute then.” He smiled, kissing me on my cheek.

I sat on his bed, looking around, while he went to wash up. The room looked the same as before, except it was much cleaner now. It even smelt good.

“Lionny~” He called out as he walked out of the toilet.

“That’s fast.” I said, smiling at him.

“Well.. How long does it take to just clean up?” He said, sitting beside me.

“You always take a long time.” I said.

“That’s because I want to match your timing!” He laughed, lying down on his bed.

“You have a good relationship with your brother.” I said, resting my chin on his chest, looking at him.

“Nah~ I hate him.” He laughed.

“Right…” I slapped his chest lightly.

“Haa~ He’s the closest to me, and he’s the only brother I’ve got.” He said.

“You have your parents too.” I said,

His expression darkened, scaring me.

“I’m sorry.” I quickly apologized.

“It’s fine.” He muttered, smiling slightly.

“Just that… you know. It still hurts.” He said.

“I know.” I said softly.

“But how do you like them?” He asked.

“Maybe you should ask if they like me instead?” I said.

“I don’t care whether they like you or not. It’s not important, what they like. But it’s important, what you like.” He said.

“Junroro…” I sighed.

“Alright, alright. I’ll go ask if they like you.” He said, getting up.

“Not now!” I laughed, grabbing his hand.

He sat back down beside me, kissing my forehead. He did not say anything, except look at me.

A knock on his door distracted us.

“Am I disturbing something here, hmm?” Junsung asked, sticking his head in.

“Your appearance is a huge distraction to mankind already.” Junhyung said.

“Woah! I know I am handsome, but I didn’t know I have such a huge influence!” Junsung smiled, letting himself in.

“What do you want!?” Junhyung frowned playfully.

“Mom said food is ready. But if you’re busy with you know… whatever you are doing. I can tell her and we’ll eat without you guys!” Junsung winked.

“Hahaha. We’re coming.” I said.

“See, hyung! Why is it that you can never learn to speak like your girlfriend? You need to teach him how to speak properly, Haneul ah!” Junsung said.

“Haneul ah? Ah? Are you sure you should be calling her like that, Junsung ah?” Junhyung said.

“Whatever is fine. Let’s go.” I laughed, tugging onto Junhyung’s hand.

“See! She said it’s fine. Call oppa!” Junsung said.

“Why not I call you oppa, huh? Shall I?!” Junhyung yelled.

“No no no! Who wants such a manly fellow to call me oppa! Eeks!!!” Junsung ran off before Junhyung could hit him.

“Let’s go~” I said, tugging his hand.

We headed downstairs. His parents and brother were already seated. Junhyung pulled out the seat for me.

“Thank you.” I said, loud enough for him to hear only.

He winked at me as he settled down beside me.

“Shall we start?” His father said.

“I hope the dishes are good enough for you.” His mother said to me.

“It’s perfect.” I smiled.

I have a feeling his mother don’t exactly like me.

“Let’s eat then.” His father said.

It was a simple family style meal. Nothing too fanciful, but it reminds me of my family.

“So, Haneul, right?” His father asked.

“Hmm? Yes. Haneul.” I said.

“You don’t look local.” He said.

“That’s because she’s not.” Junhyung said.

“Oh. But you’re called Haneul.” His father said.

“Anyone can have a name of another language. I can call myself Ethan or something if I want to.” Junhyung said.

I poked his thigh under the table. He kept quiet. His father did not seem too offended by Junhyung’s rudeness, but he looked obviously pretty upset,

“Because I am in Korea, so I couldn’t be going by my English name. I mean, I could, but it would be pretty inconvenient for locals. My actual name is Skye, which means Haneul too. So it’s about the same.” I explained.

“Ahh~ Skye.” His father smiled.

“Is it S.K.Y sky? Like the clouds, sky?” Junsung asked.

“It’s S.K.Y.E.” I smiled.

“Oh~ Nice name. Like you.” He smiled.

I remembered when we first met, Junhyung asked me about the spelling of my name too, but I ignored him.

“So where are your parents?” His mother asked.

“They… are back in our home country.” I said.

“They allowed you to come here, alone?” She asked.

“No, actually we moved here years back, but now they went back for work stuff.” I said.

“What are they working as?” She asked.

“Is that important?” Junhyung snapped.

Now I understood what his father meant. Junhyung’s attitude towards his brother and his parents is so different.

“Hyung…” Junsung called out softly.

Junhyung took a glance at him, and then quiet down.

“They’re doing business. The legal kind.” I said.

“I see.. Do you have a job?” She asked.

“Job?” I asked.

“Yea. What are you working as? I mean, I’m sure you have graduated university, right? Or are you still playing around, trying to find a job that suits you like those teenagers?” She asked.

“She’s a social worker.” Junhyung said.

“Yea, I’m a social worker.” I said.

“You mean that kind who doesn’t get paid? How is that a job?” His mother asked.

“Well. You’re right. That isn’t my job. It’s my passion.” I said.

She looked at me, as thou I just said something rude to her.

“She doesn’t need a job, okay? I can support her.” Junhyung said.

“But I do have a job.” I said.

Junhyung looked at me, surprised.

“I write news and featured articles online for some of the news agencies here, as well as internationally. I publish short stories online too as a form of hobby. I don’t usually get paid for writing short stories, but I do get paid for the news and featured articles I write. It’s not a lot, but it’s enough to support myself, and perhaps even Junhyung and the three of you.” I said.

“You didn’t tell me that.” Junhyung mumbled under his breath, loud enough for me to hear.

“I see.” His mother replied, but obviously unhappy at my answer.

“So, can you cook?” She asked.

“Erm…” I looked down.

“Psh~” She scoffed.

Junhyung was about to say something but I stopped him.

“Not the best at cooking, but I can learn. Maybe you can impart me some of your skills.” I said.

His mother said nothing. The meal went on in awkward silence. His brother tried to lighten the mood a little by saying some funny stuff, but it only appealed to Junhyung, and not his parents.

“I have something to say.” Junhyung said, holding my hand tight.

“What is it?” His father asked, putting his chopsticks down.

“Haneul and I.. We’re getting married.” He said, raising my hand to show them the ring.

“Hyung! Really?! Wow!!!” Junsung yelled, running over to hug Junhyung.

“Married? So soon.. I mean.. Not that it’s not a good thing. Just that.. I didn’t expect it to be so soon.” His father said, smiling.

“We’ve been together for a long time. But since you all were not in my life for a period of time, I don’t expect you to know.” Junhyung said sarcastically.

His father’s expression fell.

“But anyway, congratulations.” His father smiled.

“Thanks.” I muttered.

I turned to his mother. She did not look the slightest bit happy.

“And also, we’re planning on adopting Tae Hyun and Ji Eun. The two kids Haneul has been taking care of after she found them at the airport some years back.” Junhyung continued.

“Is it the two kids you sent me the photo of!?” Junsung asked.

Junhyung nodded excitedly.

“Oh my! They’re so cute! You should bring them here some day!” Junsung smiled.

“That’s nice. I’ve seen their photo too. Indeed, sunshine.” His father smiled.

“Yeap. They’re indeed sunshine.” Junhyung smiled.

“I’m sure they’ll be very happy to see you all.” I said.

“And one more thing.” Junhyung said.

Everyone stopped to look at us.

“Haneul is… She’s pregnant.” Junhyung smiled, not at them, but at me.

“What?” His mother said.

“I said… She’s pregnant.” Junhyung answered.

“That’s… fast.” She said, looking back down at her food.

“Is this why you guys are rushing to get married?” His father asked.

“Of course not! What a thing to say.” Junhyung said.

“I’m just glad it’s not that way.” His father said softly.

“I love her. I would have proposed to her anyway. The baby is a gift.” He said.

I smiled hearing Junhyung refer the baby as a gift.

After the meal, Junhyung took my hand, trying to pull me to the other side.

“Wait..” I pulled my hand out of his.

“Why?” He asked.

“Let me help your mom.” I said softly.

“It’s fine.” He said.

“I want to do it.” I said.

He sighed and nodded.

“I can do it.” His mother said.

“It’s okay.” I smiled, taking the plates into the kitchen.

Junhyung smiled slightly before walking to join his father and brother.

His mother came into the kitchen as I was washing the dishes. She closed the door, and I knew nightmare is coming.

“I can do it.” She said.

“It’s alright. Let me help.” I smiled.

She left the dishes at the side, looking at me.

“You know, I am really thankful for your effort to search for us and patch us back with Junhyung.” She said.

“It’s nothing, really.” I said.

“But…” She said.

I turned off the tap.

“But?” I look at her.

“You’re a marvelous girl, really. I just don’t think you’re the right one for Junhyung.” She said.

“Oh.” I mumbled.

I expected this, but I didn’t expect it to hurt so much.

“I mean it. You’re really a nice girl. But just… not right.” She said.

“Not right.” I repeated.

“Yea. Not right. You see, we’re traditional people.” She said.

“So am I.” I mumbled under my breath.

“Don’t mind me saying this, but things would have been much easier if you’re Korean.” She said.

“But I am still Asian.” I said.

“But not Korean.” She said.

I looked down. My nationality is not something I can change.

“And you’re too.. City like. Do you get what I mean?” She asked.

“Being traditional does not mean woman has to be submissive and dependent on the guys.” I said.

“See, you’re too city like. Your thinking, the way you do things, what you can do and what you can’t. It’s just… different.” She said.

“Me being city like and being someone of another nationality does not determine my love for Junhyung.” I said.

“Do you really know Junhyung?” She asked.

“Of course I do.” I said confidently.

“Do you perhaps know… of his… well.. difference?” She asked.

“What are you saying?” I asked.

“I doubt you know then.” She smiled.

“Are you talking about his period? I know about that.” I said.

She raised her eyebrow at me.

“It doesn’t matter. Not to me. Just like how having a period doesn’t change him, my nationality and being too city like doesn’t change me too.” I said.

“Is it the baby?” She asked.

“What about the baby?” I asked.

“Is it because you don’t have enough money to raise the baby, that’s why you’re marrying him?” She asked.

“No.” I said.

“I love Junhyung very much. I don’t wish for him to get hurt. You’re just… not the one for him. I’m sorry, but you just… Don’t fit in.” She said.

“Are you indirectly asking me to leave?” I asked.

“You’re a smart girl.” She said.

“And a stubborn one too.” I said.

She narrowed her eyes at me.

“How much do you want? I can give you enough to buy a house, raise your baby and perhaps even get married with a more suitable man.” She said.

“Why do I want your money?” I asked.

“I’m not that kind of person.” I continued.

She looked at me, not saying anything. I stared back, fighting the tears that threatened to fall.

“I can change my ways, learn to cook and clean or what but I cannot change things like nationality. Even if I could, I wouldn’t.” I said.

“It’s something that I am born with. Just like he is born Korean, and I happened to not be born Korean. I can’t change that, and why would I, even if I could?” I continued.

“You can’t judge me by saying I am different simply because of my nationality and that I am too city-like. In what way am I city-like? Just because I am independent? That’s… unfair.” I said softly.

“Getting pregnant before you’re even married! I mean… that’s something modern girls like you do, but I can’t accept it, I’m sorry. Maybe your parents could, but I can’t.” She said.

She said it finally, didn’t she? Well, that’s hurting.

The door slammed open, revealing an angry Junhyung. He grabbed my hand, yanking me behind him.

“If you define modern-like like this, then I am modern like too. She did not get pregnant on her own. It is me who got her pregnant. I was the one who initiated with her! It is my ! My child! And I’ll love my kid and her not simply because of responsibility but because I love them!” He yelled.

“And it doesn’t matter if she can cook or not, alright? I’m not marrying a maid. I don’t need someone who can clean and cook. I just need someone who would love me and would not leave me in bad times, and she, is a fantastic candidate for that.” Junhyung said, glaring hard.

“Also, you hate her independence? Well, that’s because you don’t have it! You are not as independent as she is. While she goes out to work and do all things people say women can’t possibly do, you’re here in this freaking kitchen, submitting yourself to your husband! I love her independence, for a matter of fact. I love her the way she is, and I am in love with the fact she is of a different nationality.” Junhyung continued.

I tugged onto his hand, trying to get him to stop talking. His mother’s expression was an ugly one already.

“Trying to give her money to get her to leave me? Haneul wouldn’t accept that. If she were to leave, she wouldn’t even take your money. What do you have to offer her? No amount of money is enough! She’s priceless!” He continued yelling.

His father and brother ran over, puzzled as to what was happening.

“And you said you love me and don’t wish to see me get hurt? DON’T YOU REALIZE IT HAS BEEN YOU WHO HAVE BEEN HURTING ME ALL ALONG!? I planned to put it all behind me! I planned to just forget it! But I can’t I can’t I can’t! I dread coming here! I really do! If not for Haneul, I wouldn’t even want to step foot into here anymore! If not because I want to see Junsung, I wouldn’t even come!” Junhyung yelled.

His grip on my wrist tightened.

“Where were you when I needed you the most? You left me, right here in this house! You left a table of food on that freaking dining table, and a stupid piece of note, and then you left! Do you know how hurt I was? Do you know how scared I was? I yelled for you. I yelled Umma, I yelled Appa, I yelled Junsung, but all that answered back were my echos!” He continued.

“You know why I moved out? I couldn’t stand staying here anymore! I couldn’t stand looking at those empty seats! I couldn’t stand the emptiness in this house! And all you said before you left was I’m sorry. You didn’t even wake me up to say goodbye. You turned me into an orphan just overnight!” He shouted, tears streaming down his cheeks.

“If not for Seungho hyung, I would have grabbed this knife and just ended my own life.” He said, raising a fruit knife.

“Junroro!” I snatched the knife back from him.

“You think this is all? You think I am being miserable just because of my… difference?” He said, smirking despite the tears.

“I was bullied badly in school, do you know?” He said.

His parents and brother looked clearly surprised.

“You thought that just because I am a celebrity I am well liked? Hell, no! I was bullied like as thou I was nothing at all! Every day that group of s would pick on me, snatch my stuff and just simply embarrass me! But where were you? Huh? Where were you?” He asked.

“You were not there. You were never there.” He said.

“I came home and I still had to face the look on your faces. That look that reminded me painfully over and over again how different and abnormal I am.” He said.

“But Haneul here.. Despite not knowing me for long, despite not exactly liking me at first, she never made me feel different. She treated me, not exactly well at first, but at least, the same.” He said, looking at me.

“And even after we got together, even after knowing my… difference, she never once said anything about it. She never called me different. She made me feel normal, she made me feel worth it. She even stopped me from doing something stupid. Yes, I almost made a stupid decision because I wanted to feel normal in front of her. But all she said was ‘You’re normal. Who says you’re not?’ You never told me this. And you’re my mother.” He said.

“SO WHO ARE YOU TO BE TELLING HER THAT SHE CANNOT MARRY ME JUST BECAUSE SHE IS DIFFERENT!? WHO ARE YOU TO BE TELLING HER THAT HER NATIONALITY AND HER CITY-LIKE CHARACTER IS NOT LIKED!?” He yelled suddenly.

“She’s different, but so am I. Don’t you think it’s a match made in heaven, hmm?” He said.

He was breathing deeply, clutching onto his chest, the place he got shot. I rubbed his back, trying to calm him down.

“You guys were never there in times of trouble. When my stomach hurt like crazy because of those cramps, when I fell sick, when I was nervous for comebacks and performances, when I just felt moody for no reason, when I was hospitalized… Even her parents loved and cared me. Even Ahjumma took care of me.. But you.. You guys were never there.” He said, shaking his head slightly.

They looked shocked hearing he was hospitalized.

“Surprise? Don’t be. I was hospitalized many times. Even after you found me, I was hospitalized before. Just not long ago, because of this.” He pulled his shirt down, revealing the scar from the bullet.

They wanted to take a closer look, but Junhyung did not allow them to do so.

“You guys were never there to comfort me when I am in pain. What gives you the right to say no to the girl I am going to marry? What gives you the rights to even want me to call you my parents?” He said.

“What sort of parents leaves their son to fend for himself?” He asked.

“Junhyung… We…” His father mumbled.

“Don’t. Don’t say anything. I really cannot stand hearing you two calling my name. I just… I can’t… I’m sorry. I may go to hell for saying this, but you guys… I wish you were not my parents.” He said.

His mother slapped him across his face. We were shocked, but Junhyung just smiled.

“Sorry. Darling, I’m so sorry!” His mother apologized quickly, cupping the reddened part of his cheek.

“This slap, remember it.” He said, pushing his mother’s hand away.

His mother looked at him, confused.

“Because this slap, will end the relationship I have with you.” He muttered under his breath.

“JUNHYUNG!” I yelled.

“I can’t do this anymore, Lionny. You know how much pain I am in. I can’t face them anymore. I can’t face them who abandoned me anymore.” He said.

“What are you saying, Junhyung!?” His mother yelled.

“Just pretend…. You never had a son like me.” He mumbled under his breath.

“Of course, you are still invited to our wedding. You’ll sit at the VIP table, you’ll be introduced as my parents, when our child is born, you can come and see him/her if you want, I’ll tell him/her the both of you are his/her grandparents, but that’s just about it.” He said.

“Junhyung…” His dad called out, looking really heartbroken.

“I can’t do this anymore. I can’t pretend to forgive you two when I clearly have not. You did it before, didn’t you? Forgetting me. Just do it again now, and permanently. I’ll still give you money monthly, no worries on that. Give me your bank account number, I’ll do a bank transaction monthly. In any case you need more money, drop me a text or give me a call. I’ll do my best. I’ll give you what I have.” He said.

“That’s for giving me life and bringing me up, until I was 18.” He said.

“Hyung…” Junsung called out, tears streaming down his cheeks.

“When are you returning back to the States? Give me your bank account too. I’ll give you allowances monthly. Don’t worry, you’ll always be my brother.” Junhyung smiled.

“Alright. I’m done talking. Thank you for the food. It was… nice. See you at the wedding, hopefully.” Junhyung said quietly.

He grabbed my bag and pulled me out despite his mother’s pleads.

He opened the car door for me, letting me in. He got into the driver’s seat and sped off. He drove at a scary speed but I didn’t dare to say anything about it. He stopped the car abruptly after driving for quite a distance. He slammed his fist onto the steering wheel.

“Junroro…” I squeezed his arm.

“What have I done?” He said softly, his tears dripping onto his lap.

“It wasn’t supposed to end this way. It really wasn’t.” He cried.

“You can still change things. You just need to turn back.” I said, wiping off his tears.

“Change? What is there to change? After how she insulted you like that?” He stared at me.

“I kind of expected it. I mean, it’s typical, isn’t it?” I said.

“I was standing at the door, I heard every single word she said to you, Haneul. Why aren’t you the slightest bit upset?!” He yelled.

“Maybe because she’s right? I mean, I am different. And people aren’t that positive to change. They need time, you see.” I said.

“And what is important is you, isn’t it? You love me, and that’s enough.” I said.

“I would still love you even if you turn into a hippo!” He cried.

“Turn into a hippo? What a thing to say.” I mumbled.

“I’m sorry! I mean a lion!” He pouted.

“Anything you say.” I said, wiping his tears.

“Switch seats with me.” I said, getting out of the car.

I took the driver’s seat while he took the passenger seat. I drove up a secluded road, stopping at high ground.

“Come.” I said, tapping his hand.

“Where?” He asked.

“Just here.” I said, pushing the backseats flat down.

I took out cushions and blankets from the boot, throwing them to the front. He looked at me, confused.

“Come on in.” I said, patting the seat beside me.

“What are we doing?” He asked, coming in, closing the door.

“Just resting.” I said, putting my legs up onto the headrest of the driver’s seat.

“Why here?” He asked.

“Because it’s always more comfortable in the car, for some reason.” I said, bending over to take off his shoes and socks.

I opened the sunroof, pointing up at the sky.

“LOOK!” I yelled, pointing up at the clouds.

“It’s pretty, isn’t it? The clouds.” I said.

He nodded, resting his head on my shoulder, looking up at the sky.

“Look at that dragon.” I said, pointing at a piece of cloud.

“And that bear. Isn’t it cute? That’s the ears, and then the body…” I said.

I went on describing shapes in the clouds to him and also telling him about what I know and like about clouds, some made up, some true. I stole occasional glances at him. His eyelids were getting heavier and I could tell he would drift off into sleep soon by the way he was breathing. That was my point. I wanted him asleep, and just not thinking of anything else.

“I wonder if there is something called parallel universe. Have I said something like that before? But you know, they say the ‘us’ on the parallel universe would be the total opposite of us now. I feel so sad for them then.” I said.

“Why?” He asked tiredly.

“Because we’re the happy one.” I said.

“Hee..” He laughed.

I took his hand and put it on my belly. He turned over, snuggling his face into my shoulder. I pat the back of his thigh lightly as I continued blabbering on about clouds and other unnecessary stuff. Sure enough, he fell asleep.

“I never knew you were hurting so much. I’m sorry.” I whispered, pulling him closer to me.

He did not sleep for long, but he looked better after he woke up.

“Feeling better?” I asked.

He nodded, eyes still half opened.

“Junroro… I am sorry I did not realize how unwilling were you to face your parents. I shouldn’t have forced you.” I said.

He shook his head, rubbing his eyes.

“I thought I could do it too. I just… I did not expect to snap. I know I am at fault. But give me some time. I really need time to accept them into my life again. It was… just painful, that period of time.” He said.

“I understand. I’m not going to force you anymore. I just want to stick by you, no matter what your decision is.” I said.

“Thank you.” He mumbled.

“But can I say something?” I asked.

“Always welcome.” He said.

“No kids should ever… disown their parents.” I said softly, afraid he would snap again.

Instead, he looked down.

“I understand you did it in a fit of anger. But I hope… you’ll fix things up. Make it better.. We.. We can do it together.” I said.

“Of course.” He smiled.

“Just now I… I never meant to say those words. I was just angry. Sorry about that.” He said.

“Sorry, but not to me.” I said.

He nodded.

“When did you become so forgiving?” He smiled.

“I’m not forgiving, I am just soft when it comes to people I love and care for.” I said.

“You love them? After all that she has said to you?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“I love you. And you,” I poked his chest.

“You love them.” I said.

“Why did I never realize it?” He asked.

“Realize what?” I asked.

“Realize that you’re a writer.” He said.

“Huh?” I looked at him.

“Every word you say, even those you use to scold others, it’s so poetic and somehow makes sense. I should have realized it long ago. You’re the writer, not me.” He said.

“I’m the writer, yes. But you’re my story. Without you, my novel would never be complete.” I said tapping the tip of his nose.

“That sentence is copyrighted.” He chuckled.

“Well, are you going to give it to me then? The copyright?” I asked, glaring playfully at me.

“Sure, sure. Have it. Can I say no? All the royalties and rights for that sentence, it’s yours.” He smiled.

“Of course.” I leaned against his chest.

“See, baby. Your daddy is such a poor thing.” He caressed my belly.

“Yah!” I slapped his hand.

“Oww… You see you see…” He pouted.

I laughed, letting him be.

“It’s not because of responsibility.” He said.

“What?” I looked at him.

“Marrying you, it’s not because of responsibility.” He said.

“I know.” I said.

“I want you to remember that.” He said.

“I will.” I smiled.

“And Lionny…” He called out as he twirl his finger over my shirt.

“What?” I asked.

“I want to…” He said.

“Want to what?” I asked.

“Tell your parents about it..” He said.

“About what?” I asked.

“My.. difference. My period.” He said, sitting up, looking at me.

“WHAT!?” I yelled.

I looked away, not knowing what to say. 

***

tumblrlysy0d4tfr1r6v0u6.gifRude/angry/sarcastic Junhyung 
 
rapping.gifjunc.giftumblrltrfciaiq91qckzey.gif tumblrltsvk1za511r1fm9w.giftumblrltlja5colp1r21hgk.gifJunhyung spilling his hidden emotions to his parents
 
tumblrllcct5wyhl1qcgseg.gif Junhyung crying to haneul