The Honeymoon: Embrace imperfections

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

I opened my eyes and it was the next morning already. We just spent one day of our honeymoon sleeping, but I guess we both needed it, especially Junhyung. I turned to the soft snores coming from my left and found myself smiling at his sleeping face.

“How is it that you look like an angel when you sleep but behave like some ert when awake?” I asked softly, pulling the blanket to cover more of his bare body.

“More importantly, how is it that we’re married?” I asked as I propped myself up on my elbow, admiring the sleeping man beside me.

“Wake up soon.” I whispered as I stepped out of bed, put on my clothes and headed to the bathroom.

“Amazing.” I mumbled as I looked around the grand toilet.

I took my time to brush my teeth and wash my face.

“OH! YOU SCARED ME!” I yelled when I looked up in the mirror after washing my face to find Junhyung standing at the door, smiling at me. He looked so creepy from the reflection.

“When did you wake up? Why did you just stand there and not make any sound?” I asked as I took the towel he handed me to wipe my face.

“I was just admiring you. I did not want to disturb this beautiful scene.” He said.

“What scene?” I asked.

“I don’t know why but I find the scene of you washing your face extremely attractive. With your hair and fringe all up, the way you massage the facial wash onto your skin, how you splash water to wash it off, and then water droplets dripping all over your shirt and the strands of hair that were not secured by the rubber band, you look so damn beautiful. I can watch you wash your face all day.” He smiled.

“So, are you suggesting that I stay in the toilet or something?” I asked.

“When did I say that?” He asked.

“You said I look attractive when I am washing my face, and well, everyone wants to look attractive all the time, no? I wash my face in the toilet, so if I step out of the toilet, I wouldn’t look good anymore, right? Because I am not washing my face. And you said you want to watch me wash my face all day, so that also means I have to be in the toilet all day.” I said.

“Do you have to spoil this great morning by twisting my words?” He sighed.

“No, but I just enjoy going against your words.” I smiled.

He looked at me, not saying anything.

I turned back to the basin, squeezed facial wash onto my palms and massaged them onto my face.

‘Why are you washing your face again?” He asked, confused.

“Because you said I look attractive.” I said.

“And so?” He asked.

“And I think I made you unhappy early in the morning, so I am making it up to you by doing something you enjoy watching, which is washing my face.” I said.

He covered his face and laughed.

“I lose.” He said, shaking his head, still laughing.

“What?” I asked, still massaging the facial wash onto my face.

“STOP WASHING! YOUR SKIN WILL ROT AT THIS RATE!” He laughed, pulling my hands away.

“You said you want to watch me wash my face all day!” I said, unable to control my laughter as well.

“I lose to you, I really do.” He said, pushing my head down slightly as he damp water onto my face, washing off the facial wash.

“I am doing it for you!” I shouted.

“Don’t talk! You want to drink the soap!?” He asked.

I kept quiet.

“How is it that you always manage to make me so upset and so happy in a matter of a few seconds?” He asked, perhaps to himself, as he dried my face with the towel.

“It’s not that I can do that.” I said, taking the towel from him.

“Then?” He asked.

“It’s because you love me, that’s why you cannot and would not stay angry with me for long.” I smiled.

“Oh god~” He buried his face into his palms.

“YAH! WHAT IS THIS REACTION SUPPOSED TO MEAN!?” I smacked his arm.       

“This reaction means ‘Damn it, she knew all along. No wonder I am always at the losing end!’” He said.

“Yah, Yong Junhyung, what do you mean by you’re always at the losing end. You forgot what happened yesterday on that bed is it?” I asked.

“Of course I remember, and that, is because you love me too.” He smiled.

“Brush your teeth!” I pushed him further into the toilet before heading out.

He grabbed me by my waist and spun me to face him. He crashed his lips against mine, kissing me passionately.

“Morning kiss. Good morning.” He smiled.

“Good morning, but I would have appreciated it better if you brushed your teeth first.” I said.

“You don’t grasp the concept of a morning kiss, don’t you?” He asked.

“What concept?” I asked.

“Morning kiss is a kiss that couples share the first thing they wake up. Being a couple means we have to accept each other in times of good or bad, sickness or health, right? The point is to kiss even before you brush your teeth to learn to accept each other so called unglamorous side. Only when you can accept your partner’s downside will you learn to appreciate your partner’s perfection better! We’re supposed to embrace each other’s imperfections and not stay away from it or try to change it!” He explained confidently.

“Where did you get this definition from?” I asked.

“Yong Junhyung’s dictionary of correct definitions, version two.” He smiled.

“Dictionary of correct definition?” I asked.

“Yes, I corrected the original meaning because those were either too vague or simply wrong, so it is called dictionary of correct definition.” He said proudly.

“And my goodness, there’s a version one?” I asked.

“Yes. That was before marriage. Version two is after marriage, with newly added words. Just published.” He smiled.

“Did I marry a nutcase?” I asked myself as I stepped out.

“Are you insulting me now?!” He asked, toothbrush in his mouth.

“Of course not, Darling.” I smiled as I shut the door.

“I really married a nutcase.” I mumbled to myself as I picked out my clothes.

***

Maldives is really a place for pure relaxation. For the past few days, we have been lazing around in the sun, playing around on the beach and in the water. Although I would very much like a place to do endless shopping, escaping the city life for a while seems like a good option too.

“I wanna dive too.” I pouted as we sat on the beach bench, watching people get ready for diving.

“You can’t, Lionny.” He said, building a sand castle on the bench itself.

“But I want to! You don’t allow me to do waterboarding, you don’t allow me to canoe, you don’t allow me to do anything then why did you bring me here!?” I got irritated.

He looked at me, and then back at his sand castle.

“Build sand castles with me.” He said.

“I don’t want to build a freaking sand castle!” I flicked off the top part of his castle.

“MY ROOF! TSK! NOW WHEN IT RAINS THE PEOPLE INSIDE WILL GET WET!” He pouted.

“There are no people inside.” I laughed.

“How do you know?” He asked.

I messed up his sand castle and he looked at me with wide eyes.

“See, no people at all.” I grinned at my ‘masterpiece’.

“MY KINGDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” He yelled.

“YOU!!! YOU DESTORYED MY KINGDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” He growled.

He picked up in bridal style and ran towards the water.

“NO NO NO!! PUT ME DOWN!! I’LL BUILD BACK YOUR KINGDOM!!” I pleaded.

I screamed like crazy when he almost dropped me on purpose but caught hold of me again.

“DON’T DO THAT!” I punched his chest.

“Aigoo~” He clutched onto his chest.

“Ahhh, it hurts.” He said.

“Stop pretending.” I mumbled.

“It really hurts.” He said, letting me down.

He bend forward, holding onto his chest, looking uncomfortable. I suddenly remembered the part where I hit was the part he got shot. No matter how long has passed, a wound would always remain a wound, no?

“Yah… Don’t scare me. Are you okay?” I asked worriedly, holding onto him.

“It hurts…” He mumbled, squatting down.

“Yah.. Yong Junhyung..” I shook him lightly.

“Can you walk? Huh? I… I’ll call for help. Don’t collapse. Please.. Wait for me. Please.” I said hurriedly.

Just as I was about to run off, I was pulled back. He smiled at me, pulled me into his embrace, hugging me tightly as we both lied in the shallow water.

“You played a prank on me?” I asked, staring at him.

“I did not.” He said.

“Of all things to prank me with, you prank me with this?” I asked, feeling angry.

“Yah~ I am serious when I say it hurts.” He said.

I stared at him, waiting for his explanation.

“But it isn’t physically… It is emotionally.” He said.

“Because you did not trust me!” He pouted.

“WHEN!?” I yelled.

“Aigoo so loud.” He frowned, covering his ear.

“You thought I would drop you. You did not trust me. I would never let you fall, you know it, don’t you? I was hurt because you thought otherwise.” He said.

“But… then… WHY DIDN’T YOU MAKE IT CLEAR!?” I yelled.

“Shhh shhh.. Stop yelling.. You’ll scare our baby.” He said, caressing my baby bump.

I glared hard at him.

“Okay, okay. Sorry.” He said.

“Not accepted.” I looked away.

“Then what do I have to do for your forgiveness?” He asked.

I pushed myself away from him.

“This.” I said as I raised my fist and punched him in his stomach.

“Ugh~” He groaned, clutching onto his stomach.

“Now this… hurts… physically..” He choked out.

“Aww sorry~” I rubbed his stomach lightly.

Since we were both wet already, we played in the water. The water was so clear that we could actually see where we were going. It would definitely be a nicer sight if we could dive deep into the water.

“I really want to go diving.” I pouted, in hope he would change his mind.

“Lionny, no.” He said sternly.

“I hate you.” I grumbled.

“But I love you.” He said, sincerely.

***

Junhyung and I were sitting on the bench at the extended area of our resort. I was reading my book while he was on his laptop.

“Lionny!” He called out excitedly.

“What?” I asked, not looking up from my book.

“I know what we can do!” He said.

“I don’t want to know.” I said, still feeling upset at the fact he did not allow me to go diving.

I understood his concerns because the pressure and all was not good for the baby, but I just wanted to be angry at him.

“You would definitely want to know!” He said, taking my book away.

“Yah! My book!” I frowned.

“Listen to me!” He said.

“Let me put in the bookmark.” I snatched the book back from him.

“Let’s go snorkeling!” He said.

“Do you mean you snorkel while I stand on shore, holding a towel to wait for you?” I asked.

“No! Do I look like such a person? I’m serious!” He said.

“You said diving is dangerous! So what is the difference!?” I asked.

“Diving is dangerous in your condition now because after coming up from the deep water your body has to take some time to adjust from the pressure to normal, but snorkeling is different. Snorkeling is not in the deep water therefore it is okay for you.” He said.

“I spent the whole morning looking through websites! All said it is okay to snorkel while pregnant!” He continued, turning the laptop to me.

I looked at the screen, then back at him.

“I know it is a different feeling altogether. I also know how badly you want to dive. Honestly, me too. But diving can always wait. We can always come back. Either that, we can go other places to dive. I promise you I’ll take you on a diving trip after the baby is born.” He said.

“We wouldn’t have time for that. We’ll be too busy. You’ll be busy.” I mumbled.

“There is no such thing as no time. It is up to us to find time. And there’s also no such thing as too busy. If you really want to do something, you’ll find the time to do it. I’ll find the time to take you on a diving trip even if it means I have to finish up a month’s work in one week.” He said.

“I don’t want you to fall asleep while diving.” I giggled, poking his arm.

“I wouldn’t!” He laughed.

“Can we go snorkeling for now, please?” He asked.

 “Let’s go.” I said, pulling him inside.

We got changed, rented the snorkeling equipments, had a briefing as to how to actually do it, and then headed down to the water. After the coach decided that we were okay on our own, he left us to ourselves.

We snorkeled around holding hands. I thought it would be the same as looking at the fishes from above since it is still shallow water, but I was wrong. Looking at the fishes from above and looking at the fishes from eye level is two different experience altogether. As we got further into the sea, we saw different types of fishes. As we got a little deeper, we saw other corals. After a few hours of snorkeling, we headed back to shore.

“Fun?” He asked as he wrapped a towel around me.

I nodded, smiling at him.

“Good.” He poked my cheek.

“Where is your towel?” I asked.

“Somehow, I guess I only ended up taking one. But it’s alright. The sun can dry me.” He smiled, spreading open his arms and legs.

“What do you think you are? A starfish?” I laughed.

“I’ll be the most handsome starfish ever, don’t you think so?” He asked.

“Starfish can’t talk!” I laughed.

“Who says! Even a sponge can talk! And did you forget who the best friend of that sponge is hmm?” He said.

Spongebob and Patrick. I smacked his chest and laughed.

“Thank you.” I said, wiping his face with the towel.

“Anything for my girl.” He said.

“Present for you.” I said, putting a handful of seaweed on his head.

“WHERE DID YOU GET THIS!?” He laughed, taking the seaweed down from his hair.

“From there!” I pointed at the sea.

“Yah! Appreciate it okay! Let me cook you some seaweed soup with that.” I laughed.

“It’s the wrong kind of seaweed!!” He said.

“I don’t care!” I laughed.

“Crazy girl!” He giggled, taking off his top.

My laughter died when my eyes stopped at the bullet scar on his chest. It seems to have stood out even clearer with the sunlight against his wet body.

“Sorry.” He mumbled, covering the scar as he picked up his wet shirt, attempting to put it on again.

“No, no. Don’t. I mean, it’s fine.” I said.

“If it’s making you uncomfortable, I’ll go get change.” He said.

“No, really. I’m not uncomfortable. Why would I be?” I pulled his hand away.

“I thought… Well.. It’s not.. the most beautiful thing in the world.” He said softly.

“Crazy. It’s beautiful.” I said, leaning in to kiss his scar.

“Because of your love for me, this happened. How is it not beautiful? I was staring at it because I remembered what happened that day. And then I thought, ahh, this man, he is the one who put himself in front of me despite a bullet coming my way. While other people tell their love ones how they would die for them, this man really did it. This man loves me with all his heart. This man, he is my husband. This man, I must protect him and shower him with all the love and care, for he is so precious. ” I said.

He looked down, smiling shyly.

“The scar is beautiful, and so are you.” I said, raising his chin so he would face me.

He looked away, blushing.

“Ahh.. Don’t look at my scar anymore! If you keep looking, it’ll not be beautiful anymore.” He said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because you’ll get sick of it.” He said.

“And to think I thought you were staring at my abs..” He pouted.

“Abs!? Where?” I looked at his stomach.

“Can’t you see!?” He poked his stomach.

“Ahhh ahhh ahhh~ Yea yea.. I saw it…” I said.

“Are you mocking me!?” He laughed.

“No! Of course not! I see your abs! Eight packs right? One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.” I randomly poked, causing him to laugh.

“Why are you laughing?” I asked.

“You’re mocking me! Tsk!” He smacked his stomach.

“I’m not! I really see it! Here, there’s a faint line…” I traced my finger horizontally across his stomach.

“It’s not there!” He pouted.

“Oh ya ya sorry. It’s not there. That is the line caused by your spare tires when you sit down.” I laughed.

His eyes widened.

“ARE YOU CALLING ME FAT!? OMO OMO MY BLOOD PRESSURE. I… I…” He held the back of his neck.

I buried my face into his chest, laughing my lungs out.

“I’m going on a ‘no food diet’!” He announced.

“No no! Don’t do that! I was just kidding! Aigoo! Alright, I think perhaps your abs are asleep! Wake them up!” I pinched his stomach.

“I don’t like you!” He got up, walking off.

“NAWWW BUT I LOVE YOU JUNRORORORORORORO!!!!!” I caught up with him and tugged onto his arm.

“Don’t be angry! You have abs, alright? I do too! But it’s a one pack!” I pointed at my baby bump.

“Stupid girl.” He laughed, planting a kiss on my baby bump.

***

We were enjoying our dinner in the middle of the beach under dim lights and the stars.

“What if it starts to rain?” I asked.

“We’ll continue to eat.” He said.

“Even in the rain?” I asked.

“Yes. We’ll get immediate refill for our drinks, isn’t it cool?” He asked, feeding me a piece of his steak.

“Pretty cool.” I smiled.

“I wish we could do this every day.” I said, looking up at the stars.

Enjoying the wind, smelling the sea breeze, looking up at the stars, this is simply paradise.

“We could. We’ll just shift our dining table to our garden.” He said.

“We can consider on that.” I said.

“Are you enjoying this trip?” He asked.

“Are you?” I asked back.

“I asked you first.” He said.

“Answer me first.” I said.

“No.” He said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because ladies first.” He smiled.

“Damn it.” I laughed.

“Quick! Answer me!” He poked my arm with his fork.

“I am. Of course. Anywhere with you is enjoyable.” I said.

He smiled and nodded.

“You?” I asked.

“Anywhere with you is enjoyable.” He said.

“Aiee… No creativity.” I made a face at him.

“Fine. Because of you, I cannot really appreciate the beauty of Maldives. You’re too dazzling. You outshine the beauty of Maldives with your beauty.” He said.

“EWWW!!!!” I cringed.

“You wanted creativity, didn’t you?” He asked.

“Yes, but I didn’t say I want cheese!” I said.

“Cheesiness in creativity is inevitable!” He said.

“Eat sand.” I said, picking up a handful of sand, dropping it near his plate.

“What!?” He looked at the sand, and then at me.

We laughed stupidly before calming down to continue dinner. It was all peaceful with the sound of the sea crashing calmly against the shore until a loud burp destroyed it all. I looked up at Junhyung in shock. Did that come from him?!

He was a laughing mess, so was I.

“Now I know what people mean by the huge difference between a boyfriend and a husband.” I laughed.

“I’m sorry, but it’s natural!” He protested.

“Ya, but you did not openly do it for the past years! The moment we got married, all your weird habits and insanity surfaced!” I said.

“EMBRACE IMPERFECTIONS!!!” He yelled, burping again.

“Oh my god.” I covered my face, laughing into my palms.

I now fully understand what it meant by marriage is the beginning of a journey, not the end. I thought I knew Junhyung, but I am wrong. All I knew about Junhyung is just a cover that he shaped to look good. This, is the real him. I cannot help but wonder when the day will come where he starts walking around the house burping and farting at the same time without feeling embarrassed at all. No wonder he is all about ‘embrace imperfection’. He was preparing me for this. How thoughtful.

***

“Let’s go and take a walk!” He said, pulling me up from bed.

“But it’s close to 11PM.” I grumbled, hugging the blanket.

“Come on! It’s our second last day!” He pouted.

“We’ve walked enough of the beach.” I said.

“We’ve not seen enough! Come! I promise it’ll be fun!” He said.

“What if it’s not fun?” I asked.

“I’ll make sure it is fun! Come on!” He tugged my arm.

I reluctantly followed him out. We spent the afternoon and evening out at sea to fish and watch the sunset. He was the one whining about being tired and now at 11PM he wants to go for a walk?! Is this man normal?

He led the way, taking me to ‘I don’t know where’.

“Where are we going?” I asked, looking around the unfamiliar area.

“Just walking.” He said.

“There’s no one here.” I said, tugging onto his sleeve.

“Of course there’s no one. It’s 11PM.” He said, putting his arm over my shoulder, pulling me closer to him.

“I’m here, no worries.” He smiled.

“Can’t we walk back?” I asked, feeling slightly uncomfortable at the eerie surroundings.

“I want to show you something.” He said.

“Show me what?” I asked.

“Something. Just follow me.” He said.

We continued to walk on. It was scary at first but it got better. I was actually starting to enjoy the quietness and the fact it was just the two of us.

“Look.” He said, stopping suddenly.

I looked over at where he pointed and gasped.

The water that crashed against the shore looked like they had neon blue light bulbs lighted underneath them. The entire shoreline was lighted blue. It was so beautiful.

“This….” I muttered.

“Like the firefly squid you showed me in Japan, right?” He smiled.

I nodded, admiring the breathtaking sight.

“Is… it the same?” I asked, going closer to the water.

“Nope.” He said.

“Then what’s this?” I asked, squatting down, staring at the water.

“This is a result of a chemical reaction called bioluminescence. It occurs when the micro-organism in the sea water is disturbed by oxygen.” He explained.

“Bio… what?” I asked.

“Bioluminescence.” He repeated.

“Alright, never mind. Just… oh my god.” I said, touching the water.

“Ahhh it’s glowing!” I laughed as I scooped a handful of water up.

“Pretty, isn’t it?” He smiled.

I nodded.

“How did you know?” I asked.

“Of course I did enough research before we came. I know coming to Maldives pregnant is like asking a sick person to go to a theme park. It is just not enjoyable because there are many things I know you want to try but can’t. But I still wish to make this honeymoon memorable for you. It is not enough, I know, but I hope it is acceptable.” He said.

“It’s enough. Being here with you is enough.” I said, hugging him.

We sat down on the sand, admiring at water and the endless sea view in front of us.

“How did you know your way?” I asked.

“My way?” He looked at me.

“To come here. You seemed like you’ve been here before, the way you led me here.” I said.

“I did.” He said.

“You came here before? When?” I looked at him.

“When you were asleep.” He smiled.

“You mean you hunted for this place alone at night?!” My eyes widened.

“How else would I be able to see the neon lights if it is not at night? And, I needed to find my way and make sure there is something like that before bringing you here, no?” He asked.

“But it is dangerous. What if something happened to you? No one would be able to hear you shout from here.” I said.

“If something were to happen to me, you’ll know it.” He smiled.

“How would I know it? I’m like… I don’t know.. Somewhere behind. Far, far away.” I pointed.

“You’ll know it here.” He poked my chest.

“Just like when you’re in danger or when you’re unhappy, even without having you to say it, I’ll know it.” He said.

“So confident?” I asked.

“We’re soulmates, my dear. Our heart and souls are combined. We’re one.” He kissed my temple.

We lied down on the sand. He allowed me to rest my head on his arm as we looked up at the stars.

“So much stars.” I said.

“I miss Tae Hyun and Ji Eun.” He said suddenly.

“Me too.” I mumbled.

“Imagine if they were here… They would be playing in the water now and trying to make themselves glow or what.” He laughed.

I laughed as I tried to picture the scene too.

“Those silly kids.” I giggled.

“That’s what makes them so precious.” He said.

“You spoil them bad.” I said.

“Just like how wives are meant to be spoilt, babies are too.” He said.

“When they start climbing over your head, you’ll regret it.” I said.

“You wouldn’t let that happen.” He smiled.

“Idiot.” I smacked his stomach lightly.

“Ahh I wish we could stay here forever. It’s so relaxing here.” I sighed.

“Let’s buy a plot of space in the middle of the ocean and build our house there.” He said.

“And then what do we do for a living?” I asked.

“We’ll fish!” He suggested.

“Fish? Didn’t you get the message from our fishing session just now? We’re not cut out for it.” I said.

“Ahh right… Erm then.. I’ll perform rap on the shore.” He said.

“Sounds like a good idea. Maybe incorporate some dancing as well.” I said.

“Sure.” He said.

We laughed at our stupid idea and then ended up sighing together.

“Junhyung ah~” I called out.

“Don’t call me Junhyung. It makes everything sounds very serious. I get scared.” He said.

“Because I am serious.” I said, propping myself up on my elbow to face him.

“What?” He asked, looking a little worried.

“I love you.” I cupped his cheeks, kissing him.

***

tumblrm67nbnehk11r7mqq6.gifJunhyung after he burped loudly in front of Haneul
 
article012726351000005d.jpgBioluminescence