Favour

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

I went out of her room and looked around the empty corridor. I saw the door of one of the rooms slightly opened, so I went over to have a look. I peeked in and saw Haneul sitting on the side of one of the bed, caressing the hair of the sleeping figure.

“I am sorry I yelled at you.” I heard her say.

I looked over to the other side of the room and saw Tae Hyun sleeping soundly on the bed, so I guess the person Haneul is with should be Ji Eun. I watch quietly as Haneul looked at Ji Eun sleep, it was so captivating the fact Haneul really played the part as Ji Eun’s umma very well, although they were not blood related.

“Oh, you’re awake.” She said as she turned around.

“Yea.” I smiled, walking towards her.

“Idiot.” She punched my stomach lightly.

“I’m so sorry.” I apologized.

“Nah just kidding. But I am disappointed.” She pouted, walking out of the room.

I followed behind her closely.

“I’m sorry!” I hugged her tightly from behind.

“Let me go~” She laughed as she tried to struggle out from my arms.

“No. How can I let you go?” I asked, hugging her tighter.

“Are you leaving soon?” She asked, not struggling anymore.

“You want me to leave?” I asked.

“Just asking. Don’t you have work later on?” She asked.

“I do, but I cannot bear to leave you for even a second.” I said.

“What rubbish. Someone fell asleep for like how long? Four hours!” She said.

“Aigoo that was an accident! Speaking about that, why in the world are you still awake!? It’s 5AM now!” I turned her over.

“You were occupying my bed.” She said innocently.

“I wasn’t sleeping in the center! Don’t try to deny!” I said.

“Heee~” She looked away, face turning slightly red.

“Yah! Come, you’re sleeping now!” I said, dragging her along.

“No no no! I’m not sleepy~” She whined.

“You’re sleepy! Just that your body is telling you otherwise because it is breaking down!” I said, pushing her onto the bed.

She sat up but I pushed her back down. We did that countless times because I guess she found it fun.

“Hey, I am not playing with you. I want you to sleep and I am serious.” I said.

She pouted but did not lie down.

“I am not sleepy.” She said.

“I don’t care.” I made her lie down, covering the blanket over her.

I held her down with my arm, not allowing her to move.

“Don’t treat me like a baby.” She pouted.

“But you are a baby. A very naughty one in fact. It’s almost dawn, what in the world are you doing awake?” I said.

“Let’s go see the sun rise!!” She said excitedly.

She is tired, I can tell from her overexcitement, some things just doesn’t change. I just don’t know why she stayed awake.

“No!” I said, frowning at her.

“Meanie~” She poked my chest.

“Whatever you say. Come on, close your eyes.” I said.

“What if I say no?” She asked.

“Haneul~” I sighed.

“Alright, alright. Fine. I’ll sleep.” She pouted, covering the blanket over her face.

“I don’t mean it that way.” I said, trying to pull the blanket off.

“I thought you want me to sleep!?” She frowned, revealing only half her face.

“But not angrily.” I said.

“You have a lot of requests, don’t you?” She said.

I looked at her and sighed. We stared at each other for a while.

“Okay, okay.” She mumbled.

She rested her head on my lap and snuggled close to me. I miss this so much. I pat her back lightly as I watch her drift off into dreamland.

“I love you.” I bend down to kiss her cheek lightly.

I moved her to let her lie properly on the bed, careful not to wake her. Her hand clutched onto my shirt tightly, a habit of hers that never changed. I prey her fingers off my shirt one by one, but she kept clutching back onto my shirt. Eventually she let me go.

“Sleep well.” I whispered, giving her a kiss on her forehead.

I took the two duckies down from the hook and put the Donald Duck in her hand. I took a last glance at her before heading out.

As I walked down the corridor, I passed by the Ji Eun and Tae Hyun’s room. I hesitated for awhile but ended up going inside anyway. I walked over to Ji Eun’s bed, taking a closer look at her.

“You’re an angel when asleep. I’m sure you’re an angel when awake too. Just.. I wonder why you hate me so much. I’m not taking your umma away from you. I promise.” I whispered, caressing her chubby cheek.

I went over to Tae Hyun. He looked troubled even when asleep. This isn’t an expression a child his age should be having. I was about to leave when he burst into tears, shocking me. I rushed to his side, taking him in my arms, trying to hush him before he wakes Ji Eun or the others up.

“Shhhh shhh~ It’s fine. It’s alright.” I hushed him.

He cried into my chest, sobbing and mumbling things I couldn’t make out. But I could hear him say ‘Umma’.

I took him out of the room and into their playroom. I held him in my arms, rocking him gently, trying to get him to stop crying. How much hurt has this boy went through to be tortured by such nightmares? He wasn’t a happy child to start with, and at night when he sleeps, he can’t even be greeted by sweet dreams.

“It’s fine, baby. You’re safe. You’re going to be alright.” I whispered into his ear.

I knew he was asleep when he complete sank into my embrace. I carried him back to the room and tugged him into bed. I was reluctant to leave him, afraid that he may burst into tears again, but I had to go.

“Sleep well. Don’t let those nightmares attack you again. Dream of sweet stuff please.” I whispered to him.

Haneul’s POV

It has become a norm for Junhyung to come over to the orphanage regularly. Ahjumma is obsessed with him. She loves him so much I am starting to wonder if she has a crush on him. Jace is neutral, at times he is friendly, at times he ignores him. It all depends on his mood for the day actually.

Ji Eun still hates him, Tae Hyun doesn’t show much emotion towards him but I can tell that he is comfortable with Junhyung. He lets Junhyung feed him and bathe him. The other kids in the orphanage; the older ones are mesmerized by his good looks while the younger ones run off whenever he tries to play with them.

“Why are you running away!?” He yelled.

I laughed at that hilarious sight.

“What?!” He pouted at me.

“Nothing~” I tried to suppress my laughter but it obviously wasn’t working.

“Tsk~” He pouted.

“Okay, okay. Sorry.” I bit the inside of my mouth to try stop myself from laughing but something made me burst into laughter.

A kid walked passed us. Junhyung smiled and waved at him. He looked at Junhyung as thou he saw his school’s bully and ran off.

“Oh my god~” Junhyung covered his face.

“It’s alright.” I laughed, rubbing his back.

“Stop laughing!” He pouted.

“Okay, okay. Sorry.” I apologized.

“What is wrong with the kids here!?” He stomped his foot like a child.

“Maybe you just don’t look friendly enough.” I tried to comfort him.

“How am I not friendly!?” He said, looking at me seriously.

“That is scary.” I laughed.

“Aish!!!” He threw himself onto the bench.

“Aigoo aigoo~ Is someone angry? Aigoo who is angry??” I squashed his cheeks.

He stared at me.

“Why are those kids so scared of this friendly face? Oh gosh it’s the friendliest face I’ve ever seen!” I said, kissing his lips.

I could feel his lips curl into a smile.

“Let’s see, is this friendly face friendly now!?” I asked, looking at him.

“Erm.. Sorry to disturb the two of you.” A voice said behind me.

I turned to see who it was. Ahjumma.

“What??” I dragged my voice playfully.

“Would the two of you be so kind to go out to the supermarket to buy groceries?” She asked.

“SURE!” Junhyung said even before I did.

“Can I still deny?” I mumbled to myself.

“Thank you so much! You know what to get right, Haneul? We’re out of everything!” She smiled.

“Yea yea..” I mumbled.

“Thank you!” She said as she skipped away.

“She’s so cute.” Junhyung smiled.

“No, she’s on crack.” I said.

“HAHAHA THAT’S MEAN!” Junhyung smacked my arm like a girl.

“Junnie, did you really just do that?” I asked.

“Do what?” He asked.

“This.” I demonstrated what he did.

“NO! HOW IS IT POSSIBLE!? I AM A MAN! MY SMACKS ARE MANLY!” He denied.

“Erh right. Manly~” I mumbled, walking off.

“YAH!!!! I am manly, alright! I am the Joker!” He yelled behind me.

The supermarket was pretty empty at that time so we took our time to walk around.

“Can I have this!?” Junhyung asked, showing me a box of biscuits.

“We have biscuits back there.” I said, looking at other stuff.

“But please! This is really yummy!” He pleaded, trying to add in some aegyo.

“Okay put it in and shut up.” I said.

“YAY!” He dumped the box of biscuits into the trolley.

I shopped alone while he was just all over the place like some ninja. One moment he was beside me, the next moment he is at the other lane. He was so excited I am starting to wonder how long has it been that he has not come to a supermarket.

“Can I buy this!?” He asked, popping out from behind me holding two bars of chocolate in his hands.

“No.” I said.

“HUH!? But why!?” He asked like a three years old.

“Because you need to protect your throat, so no.” I said.

“But but but it has been long since I ate this! It’s like my childhood!” He explained.

“One bar.” I said.

“Two! It’s nicer when eaten together!” He said.

“None.” I said.

“One for you and one for me!?” He suggested.

“No, in the end it’ll just be yours. Come on, just one bar.” I said.

He pouted and dropped one bar of chocolate into the trolley, but when he thought I wasn’t looking, he slipped the other bar of chocolate underneath the pile of other stuff. I laughed to myself at his silly attempt. He was so happy when he thought he succeed I did not have the heart to expose him.

“OH MY GOSH MY BABIES!!!” He yelled as he ran towards his heaven; Coke.

I mentally smacked myself for walking into this lane. I was telling myself to avoid it but somehow I absentmindedly walked in.

“CAN WE BUY SOME PLEASE!!!” He begged, holding two packs of six cans in his hand.

“No. Really, this is a no.” I said, taking the packs from his hand and putting it back on the shelf.

He looked like someone stole his rapper position in Beast.

“I’m not trying to control you or something, but you need to control yourself. You’re like addicted to it.” I said.

He blocked me, not letting me push the trolley through.

“COKE!” He whined.

“Evians.” I said, handing him a bottle of Evians.

“No!” He snatched the bottle from me and put it back on the shelf.

“Coke!” He insisted.

“I’m firm with this. No.” I said.

“Please!” He pleaded.

“Go take one more chocolate bar then, but no Coke.” I tried to compromise.

“How about I put the chocolate bar back and buy Coke instead?” He said.

“No.” I said.

“WHY!?” He turned into a grumpy five years old.

“Just no.” I said, trying to push the trolley to the other side but he spread his hands wide, blocking me.

“How about another box of biscuits as well?” I said.

“NO! I’ll put the biscuits and chocolates back to buy the Coke!” He said.

I laughed and shook my head.

“No.” I said.

“I’ll buy you something else. Erm… How about that?” I pointed at the banana milk.

“I am not Yoseob!” He whined.

“Anything but Coke, it’s final.” I said.

“WHY!?” He pouted.

If he could, I think he would jump on the spot. I pushed passed him to the other lane. He stomped behind me mumbling about Coke. He was angry with me throughout the ride home. I tried to humor him but he did not seem to give in.

“So Coke is more important than me? I get it now.” I said.

“It’s not that!!!!” He frowned.

“Then?” I asked.

“I just really want it!” He said.

“But I really don’t want you to drink Coke like water.” I said.

“I did not! It’s been five days!” He gestured five with his palm into my face.

“What five days?” I asked.

“We were so busy that I did not have time for Coke for five days!” He said.

“Hmph!” He pouted and continued to drive.

Why do I feel bad now?

That petty man ignored me throughout dinner.

“Did something happen?” Jace asked me.

“Yes, but it’s nothing. I’ll humor him later.” I said.

After cleaning up, I went to look for him. I found him sitting on the bench, plucking the leaves from the plant.

“Dwink me?” I said in the cutest voice I could as I put a can of ice cold Coke against his cheek.

He jumped up literally but broke into a wide smile when he saw what was in my hand.

“Kid~” I as I sat beside him.

“Ahhhh this is nice~” He smiled.

“Gosh~” I laughed, poking his cheek.

“Where did you get this from?” He asked suddenly.

“We have Coke here.” I said.

“Eh!? But the other time I asked you said there isn’t such things here!?” He looked at me, confused.

“I didn’t want you to drink it.” I said.

“LIAR!” He pointed at me, pouting.

I bit his finger and he yelled.

***

Junhyung’s POV

I was awaken by the ringing of my phone. I stretched my aching body to search for my phone.

“Hello?” I answered without looking at the screen.

“Junnie, am I disturbing you?” The voice asked.

Hanel.

“Ouh.. No. Why?” I asked, pushing myself to sit up.

“I need a favour from you.” She said, sounding anxious.

“Oh sure, what is it?” I asked.

“I need you to help me pick Tae Hyun from school. Ji Eun is sick so I have to go pick her up. Jace is sick too so he can’t go. There isn’t really anyone else who can drive.” She said.

“Oh. What time?” I asked.

“About now? Because his school ends in forty five minutes.” She said.

“Sure, sure. Text me the address.” I said.

“Are you sure you’re not busy? You sounded like you were asleep. If you can’t make it, it’s fine. I can get someone to cab there.” She said.

“No no. What is busy? Is that food?” I asked.

“It’s Coke’s relative. Haha!” She laughed.

“Really!?” I asked.

“Yes. I’ll text you the address. Thanks, love.” She said.

Love. It’s been so long since I hear her call me that.

“Can you call me that again?” I asked.

“That.” She said.

“NO!!!” I whined.

“Hahaha. Then what!?” She laughed.

“What you called me just now.” I said.

“That.” She said.

“YAH!!!” I yelled.

“Love.” She said.

“Hee! I’ll pick him up and send him back safely!” I said.

“Thank you. I’ll text you now.” She said before hanging up.

I got changed while waiting for her text.

“Where are you going?” Doojoon asked as he entered the room.

“Going to pick Tae Hyun up.” I said.

“Who is Tae Hyun?” He asked.

“Haneul’s son.” I said causally.

“WHAT!?” He yelled.

“No no. I mean… Aish… I don’t have time to explain now.” I said.

“Wait wait! Doesn’t Haneul know you’re not well? Why did she ask you to go?” He grabbed my hand.

“I’m feeling better now. These cramps come and go. I learnt to endure.” I said.

“Yea, you said it. They come and go. What if they decide to come when you’re driving? Did you forget how much pain you were in just about two hours ago?” He said.

“No worries! I am fine now! I got to go okay! I’ll be alive!” I waved to him as I ran out.

“YAH!!!!” I heard him yell.

Doojoon’s mouth is cursed. The moment I got into the car, my cramps started acting up, but I promised Haneul to pick Tae Hyun, and it’s not like I could sleep in peace knowing there is no one to pick Tae Hyun up.

I look at the time. I only had twenty minutes left before his class ends. I tried to block the pain out while I drove to his school.

***
PhotobucketJunhyung: BUT I LOOK VERY FRIENDLY!!

PhotobucketJunhyung: MY SMACKS ARE MANLY!!

PhotobucketJunhyung: COKE!! MY BABIES!!

PhotobucketHaneul: NO COKE!

PhotobucketHaneul: Dwink me~ *hands Coke*