It's all coming back now

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

“This is… my.. seat..” I stuttered.

“Really? When I came about three months back, this seat was empty.” She said.

“YAH! NEW GIRL! OFF! THIS IS OPPA’S SEAT!” The girl beside her kicked the chair.

“It’s okay.. I..” But before I could finish, she was already packing up.

“Petty.” She mumbled, loud enough for me to hear before stomping to the back of the class.

***

“Did you do this?” She said.

“What? How rude! I found your book and you are accusing me now!? Why don’t you just admit that you’re poor and have no money to buy new books?” The girl laughed.

“YES! I MAY BE POOR AND MAY NOT HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY NEW BOOKS! BUT YOU!!! You may be rich, you wear branded goods and all but bear in mind, it’s not your money! It’s your parents’ money you stupid brat! If you can’t even respect a book, I don’t see how you should still be here on Earth! You’re just a waste of ing space!” She screamed into the girl’s face as she pulled her hair.

“!!! GET OFF ME!!!” The girl shouted.

“Hanuel sshi! If you want to create trouble, I advise you to get out.” The teacher said.

“Me!? I’m creating trouble!? HA! Fine! I’ll get out! I don’t even wish to be in the same room as you all, a whole bunch of idiots! Including you!!” She pointed at the teacher.

She tore out a piece of paper from the book and shoved it into the girl’s mouth.

“If you cannot respect books, I don’t see why you should be respected.” She said before making her way up.

***

“What are you doing here!?” She yelled.

“I… I….” I suddenly couldn’t find a proper explanation.

I fished out the keys the boss handed to me in hope she would understand me.

“YOU STOLE THE KEYS!?” She shouted.

“NO NO!!! I.. I…” I tried to explain.

“I.. I.. I.. I.. I.. I WHAT!? ARE YOU TRYING TO RAP!?” She screamed.

“I come here all the time! The boss knows me! Are you the new girl?” I finally managed to say.

“How do I know if you’re not stalking me!?” She shouted.

“Please, keep it down.” I pleaded, not wanting to create an unnecessary scene.

“You can ask him.” I said.

She looked at me for awhile before rolling her eyes and shutting the door.

***

“Actually, I have an extra book. I can pass it to you.” I said, putting the keys on the table.

“Sir, the exit is that way.” She pointed without even looking at me.

“It’s kind of late, why are you still here?” I asked.

“Tsk.” She stood up and walked off.

“Do you hate me so much?” I asked.

She stopped and turned to face me. She smiled, but it wasn’t genuine.

“Oh no. I don’t hate you. How can I? You’re the almighty Beast’s Rapper, Yong Junhyung. How can I hate you?” She smiled.

“Don’t talk like that.” I said softly.

“Why? Does it offend you? I’m so sorry about that. I didn’t mean to offend you, Sir.” She said.

I looked at her, not knowing how to react.

“Don’t think so highly of yourself. I don’t hate you. Actually, I hate everyone. I just hate this place, this country, this world. Does it make you feel better? I am not picking on you. I treat everyone the same. So, just mind your own business and I’ll mind mine.” She opened the door, gesturing me to get out.

***

“I thought we can be friends.” I mumbled.

“What?! HAHAHA! FRIENDS!? Me and you!? Mr Yong, I don’t want and will never wish to make friends with anyone of your nationality. Bear that in mind, okay?” She said.

“But why?” I asked, sounding a little agitated.

“BECAUSE I HATE YOUR COUNTRY! THAT’S WHY!” She screamed into my face.

“Fine! At least, plaster that cut.” I handed her a plaster.

“You still don’t get it, don’t you?” She took the plaster from my hand.

She opened it and smiled.

“I don’t want your pity, ing bastard. And don’t ever talk to me again, I hate your voice.” She stuck the plaster onto my mouth.

***

“I made a cup for myself, but for some reason, I had extra. It’s a waste to throw it, so drink it if you want.” She said as she put the cup on the table beside me. It was hot chocolate.

“Thank you.” I smiled.

She rolled her eyes.

“And, thank you for the book.” She mumbled before walked out.

***

“Hey, get up.” She said, shaking me a little.

I groaned and turned away.

“Get up and eat this.” She pulled me up slightly.

I leaned against her shoulder and continued to sleep.

“Open your mouth.” She said, trying to shove the tablet in.

I turned my head away.

“Please. Come on..” She pleaded..

I shook my head and turned away.

“You’re not three. Be good, please.” She said, trying to coax me.

She was losing patience after awhile.

“OPEN YOUR ING MOUTH NOW!!” She shouted.

***

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!” I heard someone yell.

I turned around in shock and saw Haneul running towards me.

“What happened!? What happened!?” I asked as I ran towards her.

She jumped into my arms and buried her face into my chest.

“What is it!?” I asked anxiously.

“THERE’S A CAT!!!! THE FREAKING CAT!!!!!” She shouted.

“What cat!? Where!?” I asked, looking around.

A black cat jumped out from the bushes, shocking me and causing her to scream even louder. The cat must be hungry because it daringly walked towards us, meowing loudly.

“AHHHH!!! PLEASE!!!! GET RID OF IT!!!!” She yelled as she grabbed me tighter.

“Sure, but will you be my friend?” I asked, making use of her weakness. Although it’s really mean, but she left me with no choice.

“WHAT!? HOW COULD YOU!!?” She glared at me.

“Okay then.” I let go of her and pushed her closer to the cat.

She freaked out and burst into tears when the cat’s tail touched her leg.

“FINE FINE!!! ANYTHING!!! PLEASE!!!!” She cried.

***

“That means, we’ll only remain friends, nothing further than that. If you want this friendship, then it better be kept this way.” She said.

Does that mean I cannot have her as my girlfriend? Does that mean she’ll never like me?

“Deal or not?” She said again.

I looked at her blankly.

“Deal..” I said, despite not meaning it.

 “Thank you.. For saving me.” She mumbled.

“We’re friends, right?” I said.

“Why do you keep repeating the friend thing!? Are you a kid!?” She snapped.

***

“AISH!!! WHY CAN’T YOU TREAT ME PROPERLY!?” I shouted.

Passer bys stared at my sudden outburst.

“Sorry sorry.” I bow in apology.

She looked down and giggled.

“Are you laughing?” I asked, looking at her.

“No.” She looked up with a straight face.

“Laugh! You look so pretty with that smile!” I said.

This is the first time I see her laugh. She looked so gorgeous with a smile. I wonder why she always kept that emotionless face of hers.

***

“Friend! What happened here!?” I asked, rushing to her.

She was shaking like a leaf. Her cheeks and limps were frozen.

“What happened to you!?” I asked, taking off my coat and covering it over her.

“The warmer.. Broke down..” She said, teeth chattering.

“Why is this blanket so thin?” I mumbled.

“Are you a Pabo!? You should have called them to service it!” I said, rubbing her arms to warm her up.

“I did. But they didn’t understand me.” She said.

“Where is the warmer and tools?” I asked.

“What are you going to do?” She asked.

“Fix it of course!” I said.

***

“Are you free next weekend?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” She said.

I handed her an envelope.

“What is this?” She said, taking it and putting it aside, not even bothering to open it. How hurting.

“You aren’t going to open it?” I asked.

“Later. Just tell me what is inside.” She said.

“Our first stop is Korea. So I thought you could come and enjoy the show before we head out for food after that.” I said.

“Oh.” She said.

“So… Will you come?” I asked.

***

My beautiful girl, where are you?

We thank the crowd and went back down. The boys hugged me tight. I lost it. I sobbed like a mad fellow. We aren’t even officially together, but why does it feel so painful already? I really hoped this is just a nightmare. Maybe I am too nervous. Someone wake me up.

“Junnie Hyung….” Kikwang pouted as he wiped my tears.

“It’s okay. I kind of expected it.” I said.

***

“Be happy okay. I like my girl to smile.” He said, touching her face.

HIS GIRL? AND HE IS TOUCHING HER!?

“I will. But only if you’re here more often.” She said, hugging him.

SHE HUGGED HIM!?

“I’ll come when I can.” He said, planting a kiss on her forehead.

HE KISSED HER!?

“I really miss you.” She said, resting her forehead on his chest.

WHAT IS GOING ON!? She is attached?

***

‘You have 68 unheard voice messages.’ The caller said.

Voice message One; ‘Eh… Junhyung.. It’s me… Haneul.. Don’t hang up yet! Please. Listen to me. Call me, please. If I can say everything here, I would. But this damn thing doesn’t allow me to. So please, call me. Please please please.’

Haneul!? That’s cute.

Voice message Five; ‘YONG JUNHYUNG! IF YOU IGNORE ME ONE MORE TIME! I’M GOING TO STOP TALKING TO YOU! EVEN IF YOU GO ON YOUR KNEES, I’LL JUST KICK YOU!!!!’

Of course, as violent as ever.

Voice message Six; ‘Agh.. I’m just kidding. I wouldn’t ignore you. So please, call me. Just let me know if you’re okay. Please.’

Voice message Twenty-one; ‘Are you kidding with me? How can you change so drastically!? I thought we were friends. Do I have to cry?’

Cry? Hahaha. Really cute.

Voice message Twenty-five; ‘It’s so cold in Seoul. It’s so cold in the bookstore. Is the warmer breaking down again? How do you say please come and fix it in Korean?’

Voice message Thirty-eight; ‘Really, I’m going to stop calling you already. I know it’s my fault.’

Voice message Forty; ‘I cannot seem to just give up like this. Would you at least give me a chance to explain myself? I’m so tired of talking to myself every day. At least I responded to you when you tried, I rather you slap me than ignore me. This . What am I doing? I hate you, Yong Junhyung!’

Slap you? Haneul ah, I wouldn’t ever lay my finger on you unless it is to kiss you or hug you.

Voice message Fifty-five; ‘It’s still me, Haneul. I know I sound weird, but it’s still me. I guess you are just going to keep ignoring me huh? Junhyung ah, I’m sorry about that day. I forgot. It wasn’t deliberate. Please forgive me.’

Voice message Sixty; ‘How could you be so cold-hearted? Where is that always smiling Junhyung? I hate you. I hate you. You . You stupid . You jerk. But please, call me.’

Voice message Sixty-three; ‘THERE’S A FREAKING CAT OUTSIDE THE BOOKSTORE!!! I CAN’T GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’

Voice message Sixty-five; ‘Okay, there’s no cat. I just don’t know what else to say anymore. I’m not going to ask you to call me anymore. I know you wouldn’t. But I want you to know, you aren’t nothing to me. You’re the only Korean I can trust.’

Oh my god, Haneul.

Text massage Eighty-three; Call me already! My mom is going to slap me for the sky-high phone bill this month. Please save me! ><

Text message One Hundred and Twenty-seven; Junhyung ah, it’s me, again. I guess you’ll never call. And even if you did, I doubt I’ll be able to say anything. That day, I don’t know what you saw, but it’s not like what you think. I didn’t deliberately not go to the concert to disappoint you. I really, really, really forgot. I know you put in the effort and I’m just downright mean, I’m sorry. I told you I’m not a good friend, right? Forgive me, please? Almighty Junhyung, please……………………….

Text message One Hundred and Thirty-five; YAH! YONG JUNHYUNG! ARE YOU GOING TO IGNORE YOUR HYUNG NOW AS WELL!? CALL ME BACK! OH MY GOD, WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU!?

Text message One Hundred and Fifty-five; Do you enjoy seeing me plead you like this? Yong Junhyung, you’re really mean >:(

Text message One Hundred and Seventy; asdfghjkl !!!!! @#$%^!&*!!!!! Call me already! How can you let a girl beg you like this!? T.T Please…

***

I pulled out a paper bag from my bag and handed it to her.

“What is all these?” She asked, pulling the stuff out.

“SO CUTE!!!” She squealed, taking out the weird looking Donald Duck.

“I think it looks like an idiot.” I said.

“EXACTLY BECAUSE IT LOOKS LIKE AN IDIOT, IT’S CUTE!” She smiled.

I was in Japan when I saw it. I thought it looked really silly. I bought it and on second thought, I thought she might yell at me for buying such childish stuff. But now I know, she actually likes stuff like these.

“Oh my god! This is cute!!!” She squealed again, pulling out the Teddy Bear I bought from the States.

I bought her lots of stuff. Everything I saw reminded me of her, so I just bought them. It was to the point I kind of lost count what I bought and where they were from. I watch her put whatever that is wearable on her body and hugging whatever soft toys I bought. I really never expected her to be so cute.

She looked up at me, smiling like a kid.

“Like them?” I asked.

“Thank you!” She smiled, still squashing the soft toy.

“You look like a Christmas tree.” I blabbered out.

She turned to the mirror and laughed at herself.

“You know what?” I said.

“What?” She looked at me.

“Smile and laugh more. You look really different.” I said.

***

Our faces were inches apart. She seem like she got a shock at our sudden closeness. My heart beat so wildly I thought it was going to jump out of my chest. I could feel my cheeks and ears heat up. I was fighting the urge to kiss her. For some odd reason, my body worked faster than my brain did, I leaned over to give her a peck on her cheek. Her eyes widened, so did mine.

She punched me in my nose, kicked me in my chest and stepped on my stomach before stomping out of the bookstore.

WHAT DID I JUST DO!?

***

“Trying to freeze yourself?” A voice asked.

I looked up and she stared down at me.

“I’M SO SORRY!” I apologized.

“I didn’t mean to yell at you. I didn’t mean to just walk away. I’m so sorry!” I said.

She looked at me and then a smile slowly crept onto her face. She grabbed my arm and pulled me into the store.

“When I am angry or upset, if someone buys me ice cream and anything of this sort, I would be happy again.” She said.

“I don’t know if it works for you. But…” She took out a huge tub of ice cream and two slices of cake.

“Sorry for overreacting. Sorry for punching, kicking and stepping on you. Sorry for saying such mean words.” She said.

She held out a spoon in front of me. I took it and scooped a huge spoonful of ice cream. I shoved it into my mouth and ate it despite feeling already very cold.

“Is it painful?” She asked, poking my nose.

“Oww..” I winced at the sudden pain.

“Sorry.” She said, touching the bruise lightly.

“It’s fine.” I said.

***

“What are you doing?” I asked, trying to take a peek but she pushed me away.

“That looks like… My bag..” I mumbled.

“Let me see it!” I demanded.

“NO!!” She blocked me with her body.

“Why not!?” I yelled.

“Okay okay! Wait!!” She laughed.

“It’s my bag!” I said.

She laughed and moved away. My backpack had ribbons and ornaments all over it. She even stuck twigs into them. I wonder where she got them from.

“What is this!?” I laughed helplessly.

“I wanted to make a reindeer.” She said.

“Which part of it looks like a reindeer!?” I took a closer look at it.

“This is the eyes!” She pointed at the two stars.

“This is the ears!” She pointed to the twigs.

“And this is the nose!” She pointed at the red ball in the middle.

“And what’s with the ribbons all over? It’s like mummifying my bag!” I said.

“It looked like an alien! So I thought I should dress it up!” She said.

“It still looks alien-ish now!” I said.

“TSK!” She pushed me and walked off.

***

“I LIKE YOU!” I blabbered out.

“I know.” She said, with no surprised emotion on her face.

“YOU KNOW!?” I asked in shock.

“Yea, I like you too. Or else why would I be your friend?” She smiled.

“NO!!! I don’t mean that kind of like!” I said.

The smile on her face faded. She is now glaring at me; exactly the kind of face that she gives me when she wants to punch me.

“I know you said ‘nothing more than friends.’ But the more I tried to hold it back, the more I’m falling for you. Haneul ah, can’t you see? I really, really like you. When I say like, I mean head over heels kind of like. I can’t do anything without thinking about you.” I said.

“Yong Junhyung, we had a deal.” She said.

“I know! But I cannot just ignore my feelings for you! It’s killing me! I’m sorry I broke our deal. I really tried, but I couldn’t stop myself! Haneul, I like you. I want you to be more than just my friend.” I said.

“It’s not possible.” She said.

“Why!? I mean, why not!?” I raised my voice a little. I sounded like a kid whining for ice cream, but I don’t care.

“It’s just not! Me and you, we’re different kind of people. Besides, I wouldn’t be here for long. We wouldn’t last. I told you to not hold any expectations. Why did you still let yourself fall?” She asked.

“How the hell can I control my feelings?! I’m human! Not some robot in which you can program to be immune to feelings!” I said.

She stared at me.

“How do you know we wouldn’t last if we don’t try? How do you know things wouldn’t work out?” I said.

“I told you, I don’t wish to have any thing holding me back from leaving Korea. What is your problem?” She asked.

“MY PROBLEM IS YOU! My problem is that I really, really like you!” I said.

My heart was beating so wildly and I felt so light headed, as thou I would pass out any moment.

“You mean after so long, you don’t even have the slightest feeling for me?” I asked.

She shook her head. My heart sank and I felt like vomiting.

***

“Oh. I’m sorry.” He said, returning the duck to me.

“I bought it for her while on my world tour. She seemed to really love it. But when she left, she didn’t even take it along.” I said.

“I’m sorry.” Seungho Hyung said, hugging me.

“Hyung, I know this is embarrassing, but I’m really desperate for her. I really, really want her. I have never wanted anyone so much in my life. I have never felt so lonely in my life, not even when my family left me.” I said.

“You’re madly in love. I don’t know if it’s healthy.” He said.

“I don’t care even if I am unhealthy! I just want her.” I mumbled.

“Junhyung ah, if she’s yours, she’ll be yours no matter what.” He said.

“Why can’t she see me?” I cried.

“Maybe she already saw you, but she haven’t saw herself.” He said.

***

“I thought about it.” She said.

I felt as thou my heart stopped beating for a second. Suddenly, I don’t wish to know the answer anymore.

“Whatever my answer is, promise me nothing will change, okay?” She said.

I shook my head. Was it a ‘no’?

“Why are you crying even before I say anything!?” She shouted.

“Sorry.” I mumbled, trying to stop my tears.

“I don’t want to know. Please.” I mumbled.

I didn’t want another disappointment on my birthday. I hated my birthday enough, I didn’t want to hate it further.

“I came back here and all you said is you don’t wish to know anymore!? Yong Junhyung, am I a joke to you!?” She shouted.

“No no! You’re not the joke! I am the joke! It’s my birthday today! I already hate my birthday enough! I don’t wish to hate it further! Please! Don’t do this to me! Reject me tomorrow, or later when the clock strikes twelve! Please! Just not now! I beg you! Please! I don’t wish to know!” I sank onto the ground, crying like a lost child.

From the words she said and the look on her face, she was going to reject me, right? I know she is. She said that no matter what she said, she hopes nothing changes. Doesn’t that mean we should just remain friends? I can take that, but just not today.

I felt something hit my head. It was a winter boot. It was hers. I looked up at her. She was glaring at me.

“Are you a part time mind reader?” She asked.

“Huh?” I asked.

“If not, then why did you assume what I was going to say?” She said.

“Huh?” I asked, confused.

“HUH ONE MORE TIME AND I’LL WHACK YOU!” She shouted.

“H… What?” I changed my words.

“Who said anything about rejecting!?” She yelled.

She jumped off the roof and landed in front of me. She grabbed my shoulders and crashed her lips against mine. My eyes widened, so did hers. We stared at each other blankly for a few minutes before she turned away, her cheeks flushed red.

Did she just kiss me!? Does it mean.....?

***

‘How unprofessional to laugh during such a serious rap. Were you mocking me or the duck!? >=(‘

I burst into laughter at her cuteness.

“YONG JUNHYUNG!!!” Doojoon shouted.

“Sorry Hyung!” I quickly kept my phone.

“It’s good that you’re happy, but we have to be professional, right?” He said.

“Yes, I’m sorry.” I bowed to him.

He walked off and I replied Haneul’s text.

‘It’s your fault. What did you do to him!?’ I replied.

‘They said only fans can go in!’ She replied.

‘Aren’t you my fan? :’(‘ I replied.

‘I’m not, but the duck is.’ She replied, together with a text of the Duckie wearing the mask with my face. I burst into laughter seeing what she has done. My eyes, nose and mouth were cut out to reveal the duck’s. So now I had a beak. Interesting.

‘WHAT IS THAT!?’ I replied.

‘Junnie Duck! XD’ She replied.

‘Let’s eat dinner together^^’ I replied.

‘Okay! Let’s eat duck meat! XP’ She replied.

‘We’ll eat whatever you want.’ I replied.

***

Halfway through the meal, she took out the Donald Duck from her bag and let it sit at the side. I choked on my noodles at the sight of it.

“Are you okay!?” She laughed, patting my back.

“Why did you take it out now!?” I said, looking at the duckie that now looks like me.

“Shouldn’t you show a little more enthusiasm in meeting your fan instead of asking why I take it out now?” She said.

“How enthusiastic can I get?” I said, trying to take off the mask but she stopped me.

“You’re the only celebrity in the whole world who has a duck as a fan! And it’s not just any Tom, or Harry duck! It’s DONALD Duck you know!” She said seriously.

“WOW! That’s amazing!” I said.

“Yea! It is. Nah, hold him.” She said, handing me the duck before she continued to eat.

“He should be starving. Feed him. He’ll be very happy.” She said.

“AGHHH!!!” I pulled her ears.

She pinched my cheeks and pouted.

“Let go!” She said.

“NO! Not until you stop teasing me!” I said.

“Let go!!” She frowned.

“NO!!” I tickled her ears and she jumped in surprise.

“Don’t do that!” She shouted as her ears turn red.

Now I know her weakness.

“Stop teasing me!” I said.

“I didn’t!” She pouted, pinching my cheeks harder.

She started pulling my cheeks like rubber band.

“You did!” I said with much difficulty.

“We’ll let go together on the count of three!” She said.

“Okay! 1, 2, 3!” I counted, but we both didn’t let go.

“LIAR!” We shouted at each other.

“I hate you.” She said, letting go of my cheeks.

She pushed my hands away and shoved food into until her cheeks were puffed.

“Sorry.” I poked her arm.

“HMPH!” She pouted.

“Okay! I’ll feed the duck!” I said.

“I don’t care!” She said.

“He wouldn’t eat!” I said, putting the noodles at the duck’s mouth.

She tried to suppress her smile but failed.

***

“Like a paper and pen and beat and mic.” She took one of my pens.

“Even if we’re being separated far away, we will feel each other in our hearts,” I cupped her cheeks.

“Your so unconditional love.” She whispered into my ear.

“During this one year which has been so long and short, it seems like we’ve become pretty close.” I smiled.

“Sometimes, you’re like a blanket that envelopes me.” She wrapped her legs around my waist as she sang.

“You’re like home, you’re like a friend, sometimes you’re like family.” I rested my head against her chest.

“Please stay forever by my side.” I sang, stealing her phrase.

“Together, together,” I rapped.

“Just two of us,” She sang.

“Let’s create a hidden road,” I rapped.

“Like Columbus.” She said with a smile.

“If I’m with you, is there anything I can’t do? Even if I fall 100 times, I’ll be able to get up again.” I rapped.

“Always I sing the song for ya, if you want it,” She sang, pinching my cheeks.

“I’ll sing for you like an iPod.” I smiled.

“I always thank you everybody, let’s go.” She turned my head, pointing to the door.

“The one thing that I want to tell you the most. Always, we always singing just for you. Thank you, the one who’s always been protecting us by our side.” She sang.