Snap

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

I thought going public would be a good move, but I am wrong. I was congratulated by many, but Haneul was bullied by even more people. Her smiles these days seemed really force. Her laughter was not the usual ‘big laugh’ kind anymore. She hardly spoke. The only thing she does regularly is to space out.

She comes back with scratches and bruises somewhere on her body each day, but whenever I ask she would say she bumped into something. Haneul is clumsy, but not blind. Who bumps into so many things on a daily basis?

It hurts me so much seeing her like this, yet in front of me, she tries to be the same Haneul. I could easily see through her like how she can see through me. I know she is faking it. Not only do I realize it, even the boys too. See how terrible her acting skills are? No wonder she isn’t a celebrity.

I was supposed to meet Haneul at our usual place in school twenty minutes ago. She usually isn’t this late. I got worried, so I decided to look for her.

“Please.. No..” I heard someone plead as I walked up the staircase leading to her classroom.

“Please.. I beg you.. No..” I heard the voice cry.

I look down and saw a group of girls surrounding someone on the floor. One of the girls seemed to be holding something live in her hand while the girl on the floor kept trying to move away from that thing. The girl looks familiar. She looks like…. HANEUL!

“Why? Are you afraid now? You are daring, aren’t you? You’re afraid of this little thing?” A high pitch voice said.

I finally saw what the girl was holding in her hand; kittens.

“They are so cute~” The voice said in a mocking tone.

“No.. NO!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” Haneul screamed.

“How about you try to carry one?” The girl said, dropping a kitten onto Haneul’s lap.

“TAKE IT AWAY!!!! PLEASE!!!!” Haneul continued screaming.

“YAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING!!?!!?” I shouted as I raced down.

“GET IT AWAY FROM ME!!! PLEASE!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! HELP!!!!” Haneul cried.

I looked down occasionally and saw that the girls who bullied her were scrambling off.

“STAY RIGHT THERE YOU BULLIES!!!” I shouted as I ran down the never ending stairs.

By the time I got down, Haneul was a crying mess with five kittens crawling all over her, and the bullies were gone. I had the urge to chase them because I know they wouldn’t be far but Haneul was more important.

“Baby girl, I’m here!” I shook her slightly.

“GET THEM AWAY!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!” She was pulling her hair, kicking blindly and crying.

“Alright alright! Stop pulling your hair!” I said as I carried the kittens away.

I couldn’t carry five away at the same time, even if I were to put them away, they would come back. I put the kittens aside and carried Haneul up instead. She grabbed onto me so tight I could literally feel her nails in the skin of my neck. She was trembling and crying really badly.

“It’s fine, it’s fine. I’m here.” I hushed her as I walked off.

“Please!!!! Take it away!!!” She kept crying, digging her nails deeper into my skin and kicking wildly.

“They are all gone. It’s me, Junhyung! Your Junhyung! Look at me, Darling. Look at me!” I said.

She refused to look up, but her grip on me never loosened.

I took her to our spot and sat down, cradling her in my arms.

“JUNNIE!! TAKE IT AWAY!!!” She yelled, scratching herself.

I caught her arm and held her tight to prevent her from hurting herself.

“IT’S GONE!! IT’S JUST ME AND YOU NOW!! LOOK!! OPEN YOUR EYES!!” I shouted.

She stopped moving but never stopped crying. She opened her eyes slightly. Her swollen, red eyes.

“I’m so sorry.” I whispered, kissing her forehead.

“Junnie.. Why?” She cried.

I put her down and knelt down in front of her.

“I’m so sorry I got you into all these.” I said, holding her hand.

“Junnie, is our love really that forbidden?” She asked, sniffing.

I looked down, not knowing how to answer her. Is our love really that forbidden?

“Why is it that everyone else can have a proper relationship but we can’t? We are humans too. We are in love too. What is so different that we have to be treated this way?” She asked, tears dripping onto my hand.

“Because.. Maybe.. Perhaps.. I’m different. It’s my fault. I landed you into this crap.” I said, squeezing her hand.

“But..” She mumbled, touching my cheek.

I press her hand closer onto my cheek, feeling her touch against mine.

“You were really scared just now, weren’t you? I’m sorry I didn’t come in time. I’m sorry.” I said, hugging her tightly.

“I was really scared. I thought I was going to die. But you came. You weren’t late. You came.” She said, burying her face into my neck.

I piggy backed her to the bookstore. She fell asleep on my shoulder. I put her down gently so as not to wake her up. I sat down beside her, caressing her hair as I watch her sleep. Images of her pleading, yelling and crying kept reappearing in my head. I clenched my fists tight, trying to suppress my anger. I could kill them if I wanted to. I really could.

I fell asleep but woke up when I heard her talking.

“No.. Please…” She mumbled.

Half awake, I put my hand on her chest, trying to calm her down.

“NO!! PLEASE!! TAKE THEM AWAY!! PLEASE!!!” She screamed, grabbing my hand.

I snapped out of my sleep and shot up instantly.

“Darling, wake up. It’s just a dream. Darling!” I shook her.

She kept screaming. She kicked and scratched me. No matter how I tried to wake her, she just wouldn’t wake up.

“Darling, please! Wake up!” I cried, hugging her tightly.

“AHHHHH!!!! WHY ARE YOU ALL DOING THIS TO ME!? WHAT DID I DO WRONG!!! WHAT!!?” She screamed, pulling my hair and punching my back.

“You did nothing wrong. You did nothing wrong at all. I am the one at fault. I dragged you into the crap I should be enduring alone. It’s my entire fault. Please, Darling. Please wake up.” I begged.

She opened her eyes slightly and looked at me with the saddest expression I have ever seen from her.

“I love you, Junnie. I just love you.” She went limp in my arms and started crying really badly.

I hugged her tight, caressing her back as she cried. I felt so helpless and useless. I claim that I love her, but I let her get so hurt, and it’s all because of me. What position do I have to claim that title of her boyfriend? What position do I have to even announce to the world she is my girl?

After she fell asleep again, I gently put her down. I covered the blanket over her and gave her a peck on her forehead.

“I love you.” I whispered.

I took one last glance at her before walking out of the room. I am not going to just sit back and watch things fall apart anymore. They tried, tested and played with my patience. I would endure it if they did those on me. But they touched my girl. How could they do this to her? What did she do wrong?

If I die tonight, I’ll make sure they die with me.