Old scores

I'm Different

Haneul’s POV

I opened my eyes and gasped when I saw Junhyung smiling at me. I covered my face, turning away from him. Although we have been together for long, it was still embarrassing for him to stare at my morning face.

“Why are you covering your face?” He said, trying to turn me to face him.

“GO AWAY!” I yelled, but the pillow muffed my voice.

“What?” He laughed.

“Aish! Move!” I kicked him as I rubbed my face, sitting up.

“Aigoo aigoo~ Is someone embarrassed?” He stuck his face into mine.

“NO!” I pushed his face away.

“Aie~” He rolled off the bed.

“ARE YOU OKAY?!” My eyes widened as he fell onto the floor with a thud.

He lay sprawled on the floor, looking at me pitifully.

“Pain~” He pouted.

“Who asked you to just let yourself roll down like that!?” I said.

“I don’t know.” He said with a yawn.

“Get up.” I said, getting off the bed.

“I can’t.” He said.

“Why? Did you hurt your back, huh!?” I asked anxiously.

“Because I am a starfish!” He grinned, moving his arms and legs in a wiping manner.

I burst into laughter, not expecting that from him. He was giggling like crazy himself too.

“I thought you were a robot last night!?” I asked.

“I am a robotic starfish.” He said in a robotic voice.

“GET UP!” I smacked his chest, pulling him up.

He yanked me down onto his chest, wrapping his arms and legs around me.

“STARFISH HUG!!!” He yelled as he squashed me in his embrace.

“I can’t bweatheee!!” I struggled.

“What? Bite you? Okay!” He bit me on my ear lightly, more like , causing me to shiver.

“DON’T DO THAT!!” I pulled his hair.

He loosened his grip on me, laughing. I sat on his stomach, supporting my weight with my knees, squashing his cheeks.

“Bad bad bad starfish!” I said.

He shook his head.

“Yes! Very, very bad starfish! Needs to be punished!” I said.

His eyes widened.

“LET’S COOK STARFISH SOUP!!” I smiled.

“WFHO CFOOKS SFTARFISWH SFOUP!?” He yelled through the squashed cheeks.

“Me!” I smiled, getting off him.

I pulled him up, looking at him.

“Good morning, Lionny.” He said, kissing me on my forehead.

“Let’s go wash up.” I said, leading him out of the room.

***

“Oh, Junhyung! When did you come?” Ahjumma asked as we entered the dining area.

“No. Looks like.. You stayed over?” She asked, looking at his outfit.

“Hee.. Sorry.. I stayed over without your permission.” He said with a slight bow.

“No, no! Silly! Not like you’re a stranger. Just that, next time let me know, leave me a note or something if I'm asleep, so I can prepare your breakfast as well.” She smiled.

“He doesn’t need to eat, he is a robot. I’ll change his batteries later.” I said, chewing on my bun.

“What are you saying?” Ahjumma asked, confused as she headed back into the kitchen.

“Ahhh~” Junhyung opened his mouth wide, waiting for me to feed him.

“No hands?” I asked as I fed him my bun.

“I am a starfish, remember?” He said, flapping his arms.

Even when Ahjumma came out with his food, she put it in front of me instead of him.

“Feed him well.” She said.

“What!?” I yelled.

“Feed me well.” He said, his mouth opened wide.

I kept shoving food into his mouth, causing his cheeks to be puffed up.

“STWOP!” He said, trying to chew.

“What? More? Okay! AHH!” I forcefully shoved food into his mouth.

“MMFPFHH!!” He kept shaking his head while I try to feed him.

Someone behind us made the puking sound. We turned behind to see Jace patting his chest.

“Why? Morning sickness, huh?” I asked.

“Worse than that.” He said, sitting down in front of us.

“Oh I see. Jealousy sickness.” I said.

As I continued to feed Junhyung, Jace kept rolling his eyes and making all sorts of unnecessary sounds.

“Stop that disgusting sound!” Ahjumma scolded, slapping Jace on his back.

Junhyung and I secretly hi-fived each other.

“I saw that!” Jace yelled, pointing an accusing finger at us.

“What time did the woman say she would bring Tae Hyun and Ji Eun back?” Ahjumma asked.

“I don’t know. We’re still waiting for her call or message.” I said.

“That is if she finds out about the wonderful invention, or else, keep all the windows open, an owl or a pigeon may fly in any moment.” Junhyung said, as a matter-of-fact.

We all laughed, amazed by how he was able to say it with a straight face.

***

“Lionny, I need to go back to the studio for awhile.” Junhyung said.

We were just sitting around, waiting for time to pass.

“Oh. Alright. Go on.” I said.

“Sorry. I’ll be back very quickly, okay? When she gets in touch with you, call me?” He said.

“I will. Go on, quick. Go back to the dorm to change first please, before heading to wherever you’re going.” I said, eyeing his outfit.

“Oh ya. Hahaha~ I almost forgot.” He smiled.

“See you. Drive safely.” I kissed his forehead.

Jace made that annoying sound again as he walked pass us.

“I LOVE YOU, JUNRORO!” I said loudly.

“Love you too.” Junhyung giggled, patting my head before he got into his car.

Time passed even slower without Junhyung around. I looked at the time, it was almost 3PM already.

“Do you think she forgot? Or… Perhaps.. They don’t wish to come back?” I asked Jace, who looked equally uncomfortable.

“They wouldn’t.” He shook his head.

“But it’s almost 3PM.” I said.

My phone rang. I jumped up to get it, but it wasn’t her. It was Junhyung.

“Have she called? Or send her bird?” He asked anxiously.

“No.” I said.

He had called me five times to ask ever since he left.

“Did you trying calling her?” I asked.

“I did! But there was no answer.” I said.

“Damn this bloody .” He mumbled under his breath.

“It’s alright. Go and work. I’ll call you again, okay?” I said.

“No worries, Darling. They’ll be alright.” He said.

“I know. See you.” I said, hanging up the call.

“I’m going to murder her.” Jace mumbled.

“Do whatever you want with her, but only after they come back.” I said.

“Maybe it was wrong to let them go with her.” He said.

“But it’s not like we have a choice. I mean, we aren’t their biological parents in Law.” I said.

“But she seems weird. I mean… I don’t know how to put it.” He said.

“Honestly, I think she’s weird too. Could anyone be that hateful?” I asked.

“Only her, perhaps.” He said.

We continued discussing her until the ringing of my phone distracted us. This time, it was a text message. I looked at it, it was an address. Another message came in shortly after; ‘Meet me there to pick Tae Hyun and Ji Eun.’

“That . Didn’t we say to take them back here?” Jace said.

“I don’t know. Don’t complain. Let’s go.” I said, tugging onto his arm.

While he drove, I called Junhyung.

“Lionny, she called!?” He asked.

“Yes. She sent me an address, asking me to go over to pick them up.” I said.

“Where are you?” He asked.

“I am on my way with Jace. I’ll send you the address.” I said.

“No, wait. Baby, don’t go alone. I mean, wait for me somewhere.” He said.

“Why? I’m with Jace. Besides, it’s not like we’re meeting some kidnapper. It’ll be fine. I’ll see you there, or back at the orphanage, okay? I’ll send you the address.” I said.

“I.. Fine. Send me the address.” He said.

I hung up the call and sent him the address.

“Where exactly are we heading?” I asked Jace as I looked out of the window.

The surroundings look weird, like some unwanted, secluded land.

“I don’t know.” Jace said.

The car suddenly stopped. We looked at each other, confused.

“.” He kicked the side of the car the moment we got down.

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Of all times in the world!” He grumbled, pointing at the flat tire.

“Well, then change it. You know how to, don’t you?” I said.

“Yes, but it’s going to take a while.” He said, opening the boot.

“Wait in the car.” He said.

I got back into the passenger seat, pressing on the GPS to see how far were we from the venue, and surprisingly, we weren’t that far.

“Jace.” I called out.

“Yea, what?” He said, still concentrating on the tire.

“You know what, I think I’ll walk there first. It’s not that far, I saw the GPS.” I said.

“NO! Don’t even think about it, you stupid girl!” He scolded, glaring hard at me.

“Why are you yelling at me?” I asked.

“No way am I letting you go alone.” He said.

“It’s just down the road! Come on, I’ll be fine! What could happen!?” I asked.

“You and your guts will kill you one day. No means no. Sit back into the car.” He said.

“I don’t want them to think we’re not coming because we’re taking so long! Just let me go! It’s just down the road! If anything happens and I yell, you can hear me!” I argued.

He looked at me, frowning.

“Fine, but keep your phone on! Have my number at the caller, if anything happens, just press call. If you mean any badass or what, just yell! Do not try to fight. Do you understand?!” He said.

“Alright! Not like I am going on some pirate’s ship alone or something.” I laughed.

“It’s not funny!” He scolded.

“Okay, okay! I’ll be alright! You be quick and come yea.” I said.

As I walked down the lane, Junhyung called.

“Darling, where are you?” He asked.

“The car had a flat tire, so Jace is changing it. We aren’t that far, so I am walking to the place first.” I said.

“WHAT!? YOU’RE ALONE!?” He yelled.

“Omo~ Why are you reacting like Jace!?” I yelled back.

“Turn back turn back! Don’t go alone! The address looks weird.” He said.

“Yea, I know it’s pretty secluded but it’s not that weird. Don’t be such a paranoid.” I said.

“Yea I am very paranoid when it concerns your safety. Turn around and go back to Jace NOW!” He yelled.

“Shut it. I’m here already. See you later.” I said.

“HANEUL! HANEUL!!! HA…” And then the call got cut off.

Damn the reception. But what did you expect from a place like this?

I looked around, unsure of where I actually am, but I spotted a cottage in front, so I guess it was that one. I headed towards it. I did not like the feeling the surrounding was giving me, but perhaps it was just the weather.

I knocked on the door, and it wasn’t exactly locked. I pushed opened the door, letting myself in. I was greeted by silence.

“Hello?” I called out.

No response.

“Tae Hyun? Ji Eun?” I looked around.

No response.

“Is anyone in?” I asked.

“Why, hello.” A voice behind me startled me.

I turned around, expecting to see that woman, but instead, I saw a girl. She looks somewhat around my age.

“Who… are you?” I asked.

“You don’t recognize me, Haneul?” She said with a slight smirk.

She knew my name? I looked at her, thinking hard.

“It’s been long, huh?” She said.

“I’m sorry… But…” I said, looking at her.

“My, my~ Should I refresh your memory, perhaps, with this?” She said, dragging out a pail of water from the side.

Even before I could react, she splashed the water all over me. The water wasn’t exactly very hot, but it was still pretty burning to the skin.

And now I remember.

“You…” I mumbled.

“Remember me already?” She smirked.

My friend.

“What are you…” She slapped me across my cheek before I could finish.

“Because of you, I was locked up in the mental institution. If not because of that, you would never stand a chance with Junhyung oppa! Now that I am out, it’s time to settle old scores and get back what is mine!” She hissed.

She did not give me a chance to answer. I felt something hard hit my head, the last thing I heard before falling into the pits of darkness was her deafening laughter.