Just the two of us; You and I (II)

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

The next morning when I woke up, she wasn’t next to me. I sat up, rubbing my temples to nurse the pounding headache.

“Darling~” I called out, my voice cracking horribly.

“Oh! You’re awake!” She said, peeking her head out with the toothbrush in and toothpaste all over.

I smiled weakly at her.

She pointed at the table. I turned and saw a cup of water with two tablets.

“If you’re having a headache.” She smiled and went back in to continue what she was doing.

I smiled and popped the tablets into my mouth.

“How did you know?” I asked her.

“You were crying so hard last night. Your head is bound to hurt. I have experience.” She smiled.

“You do?” I asked, sipping the water.

“What? I cannot cry?” She laughed.

“Not that.” I said.

“Go and wash up. Gosh, your eyes are so swollen.” She said, touching my face.

I grabbed her hand and kissed it.

Throughout the rest of the trip, she did not ask me about why I cried so hard that night. It was as thou it never happened at all. I was starting to wonder if she was afraid that I would burst into tears again if she asked or she was afraid I would find her too nosy or she simply cannot be bothered at all.

“It’s a pity how happy times end so quickly.” She said, looking out of the window.

“Sorry it’s so short.” I said, patting her hair.

“Stop apologizing. It’s been so damn fun. Like a sudden getaway. Wah~” She smiled.

“OH!” She suddenly turned to the back.

“What is it?” I asked, trying to look at her and concentrate on the road at the same time.

“You left him here for four days!!!!” She shouted, pushing the Duckie against my cheek.

“Aigoo~ You scared me. I thought it was something big.” I said.

“Isn’t this big!? How about I leave you alone in the car for four days!?” She pouted.

“Okay okay. I’m so sorry.” I apologized.

“To him!” She said.

“Sorry.” I said to the Duckie.

“FORMALLY!” She yelled.

“I’m so sorry.” I said, slightly bowing.

“That’s better.” She smiled.

“Only you would do such things.” I said, pulling her closer to me.

“If only the seats were joined.” She pouted, slapping the gear stick.

“O! Don’t do that.” I said.

“Hee~ Sorry.” She bit her lower lip.

She moved as close as possible and rested her head on my arm. She remained like this for quite awhile.

“Isn’t it uncomfortable like this?” I asked her.

“You don’t like me leaning against you?” She pouted.

“Not that, but I don’t want your back to hurt.” I said, putting my arm over her shoulders.

“It doesn’t.” She said, kissing my chin.

The road was smooth with little cars, therefore it was okay to go slower.

“IS THAT THE SEA!?” She suddenly exclaimed.

“Yes.” I said.

“How long does it take to reach there?” She asked.

“About one hour. Why?” I asked.

She typed on her phone furiously.

“LET’S GO THERE!!” She yelled.

“Huh? But why?” I asked.

“Just go!!” She shouted.

I made a U-turn and drove in the other direction.

“Why do you want to go to the beach suddenly?” I asked.

“The sun sets in one and a half hour!” She said.

“Ahhh~” I smiled, knowing what she wanted.

We arrived at the beach and she literally dragged me all the way.

“WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” She yelled.

“You’re not going to play in the water, little girl.” I said, pulling her back by her hood.

“WHY!?” She pouted.

“Because it’s cold! Let’s sit there.” I said, pointing to the rock.

I helped her up before climbing up.

“It’s so cold that it’s so nice!” She squealed, hugging me really tightly.

“Are you high?” I laughed.

“HIGH HIGH I’M SO HIGH! HIGH HIGH UP IN THE SKY!” She waved her hands in the air.

“Omo omo!” I pulled her closer to me.

“Don’t move like that. What if you roll down?” I said.

“Then goodbye Skye! Hahaha!” She laughed.

She lied on my lap and played with my shoe laces while we waited for the sun to set.

“Please tie a knot you know how to undo.” I said, looking at her tie both side of my shoe laces together.

“No worries.” She said.

I watch her play while enjoying the cold wind. The weather was cold therefore no one actually would think of coming to the beach except someone as weird as Haneul. It was a good thing thou, it was like the beach belonged to us.

The silence between us was comfortable. I started thinking about the operation a few days later. Would I make it out alive? If I don’t, what would the boys tell her? How would she accept it? Would she be angry? Would she be upset? Would she ever be happy?

“JUNHYUNG!!” She shouted and slapped my thigh.

“Ouch. What?” I snapped out of my thoughts.

“Sunset!” She smiled and pointed excitedly.

“It’s so pretty.” I said, admiring the sunset.

“It is.” She mumbled.

“I’m glad you suggested. Or else we would miss such a precious moment.” I said.

“Well, the sun rises and sets every day. As long as you wish to see it, we can go.” She said.

I wish we would be able to have the chance to see it again.

“Oh! I have something!” She said.

She sat up and dug into her pockets.

“What is it?” I asked.

“THIS!” She smiled, waving something in my face.

It was a string bracelet with a heart shaped charm. The heart shape charm glowed against the sunlight, so did Haneul. The sight was so angelic I got lost looking at it.

“Junhyung ah!” She shouted, shaking me slightly.

“Ah yea. What?” I asked.

“Tsk! Why are you staring blankly when I am talking to you!?” She pouted.

“The sunlight behind you made you look like you were glowing. Like an angel.” I said.

“Awww~ So sweet.” She pinched my cheeks.

“I got this for us.” She said, showing me the bracelet. They were identical, except one is blue and another is red.

“I didn’t make it thou~ Hee..” She said.

“It’s really pretty. When did you get it?” I asked.

“When you were not looking.” She said.

I kept looking at the bracelet.

“You… don’t like it?” She asked.

“What? I love it.” I said.

“Which one do you want?” She asked.

“I’ll take the blue one since you have a blue one on your hand already.” I said.

She nodded. I stretch out my hand to let her put it on for me.

“I’m never taking it out.” I said, touching the bracelet.

“Are you not going to put on mine for me?” She asked.

“Oh sorry.” I laughed, putting on hers for her.

We admired our bracelet against the sunlight.

“Let’s take a photo.” I said, taking out my phone.

Before I snapped, I turned over to give her a peck on her cheek. She looked at me in surprise while I admired the photo.

“That was… surprising~” She mumbled.

“Really?” I lean in to kiss her on her lips.

The weather was cold, but having her so close to me, it warmed everything up.

Haneul’s POV

After sunset, we stopped for dinner before heading back. By the time we arrived, it was already 11PM.

“I can walk up myself.” I said.

“I’ll go with you. It’s late already. What kind of boyfriend would I be if I let my girl just go up herself?” He said, taking my bags.

I held onto his hand as we went up to my apartment.

“Thank you for everything. It was just.. Awesome.” She said.

He pulled me closer and kissed me on my cheek.

“Want to come in?” I asked.

“You should get some rest.” He said, resting his arm on my shoulders.

I grabbed his waist to pull him closer. I crashed my lips against his and we engaged in a passionate kiss. Everything was going well until the door flew open, shocking the both of us. The next thing I know, Junhyung was yanked away from me and given a really hard slap that his head banged against edge of the door.

“JUNNIE!!!” I shouted, running to his aid but was pulled back.

“WHERE THE HELL DID YOU GO TO FOR FOUR DAYS!?” My father shouted into my face.

“WHY THE HELL DO YOU EVEN CARE!? WHEN WERE YOU EVER HOME!?” I shouted back.

“Skye! This is no way to talk to your father! We were so worried do you know!? You could have returned our call! It’s okay to go have fun, but let us know!” My mother scolded.

“Ha! So I see now you actually still remember the fact I exist.” I mocked.

I tried to hold back my tears but they kept refused to listen to me.

“Who is this!?” My father shouted, glaring at Junhyung who seemed really shaken up.

“Yong.. Yong Junhyung.. Imnida..” Junhyung said with a slight bow, shaking his head to get the dizziness out I assume.

I held onto him, worry that he would faint because of the hard impact just now.

“Are you okay?” I asked.

He smiled weakly at me.

“Sor.. Sorry Sir. I took her away without your permission.” Junhyung said, holding onto his head.

“AND DO YOU KNOW HOW RUDE THAT IS!? DON’T YOU HAVE PARENTS!? DO THEY APPROVE OF YOUR RUDE BEHAVIOR!? OR DID THEY NOT TEACH YOU MANNERS!?” My father roared into Junhyung’s face.

Junhyung looked up, looking really hurt.

“I’m sorry.” Junhyung bowed.

I saw his tears drip onto the floor. I literally felt my heart ache.

“Let’s go.” I grabbed Junhyung’s hand.

“Where do you think you’re going!?” My father yelled.

“Away from here! Why don’t you just go back to work!? Isn’t that what the both of you only bother about!? When I finally find my happiness, you want to destroy it, is it!?” I shouted back.

My father raised his hand to slap me but I was pulled into Junhyung’s embrace.

“Please don’t! Please don’t hit her. It’s not her fault. I took her away without even telling her. I’m sorry I didn’t think. I’m sorry.” Junhyung apologized, burying me into his chest.

I looked up slightly and saw his cheek bruised and red from the slap. My dad has an amazing strength. It doubles when he is angry. My parents aren’t the unreasonable kind. I understood clearly why they were angry. Actually I saw the messages and missed calls from them, I ignored them simply because I wanted them to feel guilty for leaving me alone. I never expected such a huge reaction, neither did I expect Junhyung to be involve.

“Darling, bring your friend down and come back up.” My mom said.

“He can go down on his own!” My dad shouted.

My mom glared at my dad and gestured me to go.

“Are you okay? Can you walk?” I asked Junhyung.

He bowed to my parents again before leaving with me.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” I asked when we were alone in the lift.

“Your phone kept ringing throughout the trip. I asked you who it was and you said it’s no one. I asked you if you told your parents that I took you for a trip and you said yes. Haneul, why did you lie to me?” He asked, looking really upset.

“I’m sorry.” I said, touching his temple.

“Haneul, why?” He grabbed my hand.

“I was childish okay. I wanted them to worry. They were always at work, leaving me all alone. I was being childish. I wanted them to feel guilty.” I confessed.

“Silly girl.” He said, hugging me tightly.

“But I never expected them to get so angry. I also never expected getting you involved.” I said.

“Of course they would be angry. If your kid just disappears for four days and when she comes back you see her kissing some man, would you be angry?” He said.

“You got slapped, why are you still talking for them?” I said.

“Haneul ah, it’s a blessing to have your family with you, do you know?” He said, my hair.

“I apologize on behalf of my dad for insulting your parents like this.” I said.

He remained quiet.

“Are you angry?” I asked, looking at him.

“I’m not. Go on up, don’t let them worry.” He said.

“Take a cab back. Don’t drive in this condition.” I said.

“I’ll be fine. Go on. Don’t yell at them. Remember, you are at fault. You have to apologize. Understand?” He said.

I nodded.

“That’s my girl. Go on.” He kissed me on my forehead.

“Put ice on the bruise.” I said, touching the bruise lightly.

“I will. Go up. Be good.” He smiled.

“Don’t drive if you feel dizzy. Maybe you should go to the hospital.” I said.

“It’s just a knock. I wouldn’t die because of that. Go up. It’s cold.” He said.

He insisted on watching me go up before driving off.

“Call me when you reach home.” I said as I walked off.

When I arrived back, my parents were sitting on the sofa. My mom was yelling at my dad for being violent towards Junhyung.

“I’m sorry.” I said, looking down.

“We were worried sick you know! We came back and you were just gone! Not a note, not a message or a phone call. We wouldn’t hold you back from having boyfriends or what, just, don’t worry us like that.” My mom said.

“I know. I was being childish. I’m sorry.” I apologized.

She hugged me tight, causing me to tear up. I missed them so much.

“Daddy is sorry too. I didn’t mean to be violent towards him. Is.. Is he okay?” My dad asked.

“What do you think!? Did you see your palm print on his cheek!? And his temple! It’s bruised!” I shouted.

My mom covered my mouth and glared at me.

“But he seems familiar. His name sounds familiar too. Yong Junhyung~” My mom said, thinking.

“Beast.” I said.

“AH! That boy group!” She said.

“Yea. That boy group.” I said.

“OH MY GOD! Their Fiction is just so good! Who is he in the group!? Which one?” My mom asked.

“Rapper.” I said.

“OH THE REALLY COOL LOOKING ONE! ALWAYS WITH GLASSES! He’s so handsome, why does he always have to hide his face? You used to have a poster on your wall huh!” My mom said.

“Ah ya ya ya~ That’s the past. Shhh~” I said.

“Did you audition to be a star behind our back!?” My dad yelled.

“No! He is my classmate.” I said.

“He looks really polite and sweet.” My mom said.

“He doesn’t just look polite and sweet. He is polite and sweet.” I said.

“Aww my girl is in love.” My mom said.

I made a face at them and they burst into laughter. How I miss the laughter in our family.

“Wait! So.. You guys were.. Alone.. for four days?” My mom said.

“Actually there were ten thousand other people at the resort.” I said.

“You know what I mean!” She said.

“Yes.” I said.

“Did you guys….” She looked at me.

“WHAT!?” I shouted.

“I know hormones are raging and all, but use protection yea.” My dad said.

“Oh gosh.” I covered my face. I didn’t expect my dad to say such things.

“Also, if he calls or if you call him later, tell him I am sorry.” My dad said.

I nodded.

“Did you guys really do it!? My precious baby!!” My mom yelled.

“MOM!” I yelled before stomping back to my room.

How dramatic can they get.

I lied on my bed that night, staring at the two new bracelets on my hand as well as thinking about Junhyung. Why did he cry suddenly that night? It was still a question in my head. I just didn’t know how to ask him about it.

My phone rang and the caller screen flashed his name.

“Hello!” I answered excitedly.

“You sound happy. Everything good?” He asked.

“Yes. How about you? Did you put ice on your bruise? Are you still feeling dizzy?” I asked.

“I’m fine.” He said.

“HELLO HANEUL AH!!!” I heard someone in the background yell.

“Hi~” I said.

“SHUT UP!” Junhyung yelled.

“Don’t be so fierce.” I said.

“Haneul ah, are your parents.. you know.. okay with us?” He asked.

“Oh. Erm.. They..” I mumbled, wanting to scare him.

“It’s okay. I know it’s hard to accept. Besides, your dad was so angry with me just now. I doubt he’ll ever want to see my face again. Plus, I am a celebrity. I…” I cut him off with my laughter.

“Why are you laughing?” He asked.

“Why are you so cute!?” I laughed.

“What is it?” He asked.

“My parents are cool about us. They aren’t those kind of parents who forces their kid to wait till 35 to have her first boyfriend and 45 to make love. My dad even said to use protection in any case we.. you know~” I said.

“Huh? He.. He is not angry?” He asked.

“You want him to be angry and break us up?” I asked.

“No no no! Just that.. He was so angry just now.” He said.

“He wants me to apologize to you for being violent.” I said.

“It’s fine.” He said.

“But are you really okay? Do you feel dizzy or nauseous?” I asked.

“I’m really good. Haneul ah, can you sing me a song?” He asked.

“You’re the singer, you know!” I said.

“Please.” He said.

“Okay okay. Erm, what song?” I asked.

“Anything.” He said.

I thought for awhile and started singing Kim Hyun Sik’s My Love, Stay With Me. It was a really old song but I happened to hear it awhile ago and I thought it was really nice. I always wanted to let him hear it anyway, but I guess he would have heard it long before I did.

“Saying goodbye you went away, you took my dream away.Should I get down on my knees now begging you to stay. Why you had to go away, you didn’t let me know. Won’t you please come back to me, I am waiting for you.”  I started singing.

I could hear him chuckle softly on the other end.

“When you said goodbye to me, the world just turned its back.Should I get down on my keens begging you to stay with me. Why you had to go away, you didn’t let me know. Everything is strange to me, Oh I am falling down. You know the walls are closing in, this broken piece of my heart.” I continued.

There was silence on his side, and then I heard soft sniffing. Was he crying again? I stopped singing.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Continue. Please." His voice cracked.

“Won’t you hear me now and remember all my pain.Oh you are my love, please come back to me. You’re the only one for me, should I leave and let you go. And when I was down, you turned your back on me.”  I sang.

I was starting to worry if I sang the wrong song. Did I just make him cry again?

“Tell me how I should live, won’t you please come back to me. Tell me how I should live, won’t you please come back to me. Tell me how I should live, won’t you please come back to me.” I ended the song. It was totally quiet on his side.

“Junhyung?” I called out.

No respond.

“Junnie~” I called out.

There was no respond. Was he crying? Was he even there? Did he pass out? Did he fall asleep?

“Are you there?” I called out.

I heard soft snoring and sniffing. They answered my question. He was asleep, but still crying.

“Are you crying again?” I asked softly despite knowing I wouldn’t get an answer.

“Why are you crying so much lately? Did something happen?” I asked.

“I love you. It hurts me to see you cry.” I said.

“Hello? Haneul?” I heard a voice answer.

“This is Doojoon.” He said.

“Oh yea. I think Junhyung is asleep, is he?” I said.

“Yes. Is he crying? What happened? Did you guys argue?” He asked.

“No we didn’t. I have no idea why is he crying too.” I said.

"Maybe is the time of the month." I think I heard Doojoon mumble.

"Sorry? What time of the month?" I asked.

"What are you saying? You heard wrong. I said maybe he is tired this month." Doojoon said.

"Oh. I guess so too. Please take care of him." I said.

“I will. Junhyung’s really fragile. He needs you with him.” Doojoon said.

“I know.” I said.

“Haneul ah, I can call you like this, right?” He said.

“Sure. Why not?” I said.

“You’re really precious to him. Thank you for coming into his life and putting a smile on his face.” He said.

“Don’t thank me for doing it. I want to.” I said.

“You don’t understand. Before he met you, there weren’t smiles at all. But after you came into his life, it was like summer all year round for him. He was warm and happy.” He said.

“Really?” I said. Seungho told me the same thing too.

“Yes. Anyway, it’s late. I’ll get him to call you again tomorrow? I’ll scold him for sleeping on his girlfriend.” He said.

“Ahh don’t~ He’s tired.” I laughed.

“I got it. Good night. Sleep well.” He said.

“You too.” I said, hanging up the phone.

Doojoon’s words kept replaying in my head.

Junhyung ah, you’re so mysterious. But whatever it is, I only want the best for you. I hope you’re okay. Please be okay. I’ll pay any price for your happiness.