Happy Lunar New Year III

I'm Different

Junhyung’s POV

“ANDWAE!!!!!!!!!!!!” Haneul suddenly shouted just as we were about to step into the Haunted House.

“What is wrong?” I asked her, surprised.

“I don’t want to go in.” She said, pouting.

“But why? It’s fun.” I said.

“I’ll wait for you here.” She said.

“Come on~ It’s the last one. I’m here! I’ll protect you from everything.” I said, holding her hand.

She contemplated for quite awhile but despite being unwilling, she agreed anyway.

We were the only ones entering the house for some reason. The moment we stepped in, the door slammed shut and she screamed, grabbing my shirt and hiding her face into my chest. I laughed at her sudden change. It reminded me of the time she ran back to me because of a cat.

“Come on, if we don’t walk, we’ll never get out.” I said.

“No no no!! Let’s go out!” She said into my chest.

“There’s only one way out; that is to finish this. I’m here. You’re not alone.” I said, pulling her close to me.

She clung onto me, grabbing my shirt so tight I thought it was going to tear. I literally had to drag her along. She wasn’t even looking at where she was going; her eyes were glued to the floor.

“Darling, you can’t walk like this. You have to look up or else you’ll fall.” I said.

“No no no! Is it over yet!? Where the hell is the door!?” She shouted.

“We’re not even in the Haunted House yet!” I laughed.

“WHY IS IT SO LONG!?” She yelled.

“It’s only been about two minutes.” I said.

When we finally entered the Haunted House, I instantly regretted my decision to even drag her inside. She was screaming like a mental patient. Every little sound scared the hell out of her. She grabbed and punched me as thou I was a cushion.

“Trust me, look up.” I said, knowing what was coming next.

“No no no! I don’t AHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!” She cursed when the floor lighted up, revealing a bloody skull.

“WHY DIDN’T YOU TELL ME!?” She screamed.

“I did!” I protested.

“You never told me!!!!! You’re so mean!!!” She shouted.

Despite the dim light, I could see tears rolling down her cheeks.

“Aigoo~ I’m sorry. It’s my fault. Don’t cry, please.” I said, wiping her tears away.

“MEANIE!!” She shouted, pushing me away.

“Alright, it’s my fault. I’m sorry. Come here.” I said, wanting to pull her closer to me.

She stepped hard on my foot and stomped off.

“YAH!! HANEUL AH!! Don’t run off!!” I shouted.

It was dark and I didn’t have the best eyesight.

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” I heard a high pitch scream.

I ran towards the direction and almost stopped breathing. Even before I could stop Haneul, she swing her fist across the cheek of the ‘ghost’.

“DAMN YOU!!!!!” She yelled, pushing the ‘ghost’ to the ground.

She pulled off the wig the ‘ghost’ was wearing and clawed his top, tearing it in the process. As soon as I regained my breath, I pulled Haneul away and hugged her tight.

“Enough, Darling. Enough. You’re going to kill him.” I said.

“JUNNIE!!!!! HE BULLIED ME!!!” She said, pouting and crying, totally different from just now.

How did she change so fast from a violent, badass gangster to a cute three year old?

I pulled the ‘ghost’ up and apologized to him.

“I’m so sorry. She must be really terrified.” I said.

“It’s fine. I always get cursed by customers, but this is really the first time someone really hit me, and a girl~ Wow.. Haha~” He laughed bitterly.

I smiled awkwardly, not knowing what to say.

“I’m so sorry. I’ll pay for your injuries.” I said.

“PAY WHAT!? IT’S HIS FAULT!” Haneul shouted.

“Okay shh shh~” I pat her head.

“It’s really fine. But, your girlfriend is really a fierce one.” He whispered.

I laughed and nodded.

“The exit is over there.” He said, showing us the way before limping off.

“I’m so sorry.” I apologized again, bowing as well this time.

I looked at Haneul who was pouting at the ground.

“Are you okay?” I asked, wiping away her tears.

“NO!” She shouted.

“Let’s get you out of here before you beat up more ‘ghosts’.” I laughed.

She elbowed me in my chest and walked off.

“Walk off without me again? I’m telling you, there are lots more in front. They are machine operated and are really very bloody and scary. I heard that one will grab people as well. You sure you don’t want to stick close to me? If the thing grabs you, you have to go through another house all by yourself. I heard it is very….” I but got cut off by her scream.

She ran back to me and grabbed onto my arm tight.

“THERE!!!” She cried, pointing to the ground.

I looked at where she was pointing and burst into laughter.

“Darling! That’s a plastic bag!” I laughed.

She looked at me and then back at where she pointed. She pushed me and glared at me.

“I’m sorry. Come here. Hold my hand. I’m serious about the…..” I stopped talking and pointed behind her with wide eyes.

She froze and turned behind slowly.

“IT’S THE EXIT!!!” I shouted into her ear.

She jumped up and screamed.

I hugged her while laughing.

“HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME!?” She yelled as she pushed me onto the ground, pinning me down with her knees.

It is wrong of me to scare her, but who asked her to be so cute when she’s scared?

“I HATE YOU!!!” She squashed my cheeks really hard before stomping out.

“YAH YAH!!” I tried to catch up with her but she was too fast.

She pushed the door open and let it slam into my face without bothering to look back. I was lucky my nose was still intact.

The moment we got out, she was back to her fearless self.

“Sorry~” I said, trying to stop myself from laughing.

“WE’RE GOING ON THAT!!!!” She pointed at the roller coaster nearest to the Haunted House, which happens to be the second highest and fastest one in the park.

Although I overcome my fear for Viking, I still hated the roller coaster, a lot.

“What!? No no! I’m sorry!” I pleaded.

“I DON’T CARE!!!” She yelled, grabbing my hand and dragging me towards it.

“PLEASE NO!!!!” I begged, but she ignored me.

There wasn’t any queue, so it was our turn the moment she arrived. I almost fainted when I saw the seating; they were individual seats. That was the exact reason why we avoided this ride in the first place.

“He wants to go to the front!” Haneul said, pushing me to the front.

“What!? I.. I..” I stuttered.

“This way please, Sir.” The girl said, pointing to the front seat.

“Haneul ah~” I pleaded.

“Go on in!” She ‘smiled’.

Haneul sat behind me. I turned back, pleading her with my eyes to get out but she glared at me instead. I stretched out my hand to hold hers but her arms were crossed. Why do I always end up being the victim of my own game?

“We’re starting!” The person at the control shouted.

“Can you hold me, please?” I pleaded Haneul again.

“Did you hold me just now?” She asked as we went upwards.

“I did.” I mumbled.

“Most of the time you were not!” She yelled.

“But you were the one who ran away.” I said softly.

“SO!?” She shouted.

“I’m sorry. Please. I’m really sca… AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” I yelled as the ride zoomed downwards 90 degrees.

I was screaming my head off. I was scared enough just by looking at the ride and the fact the downward came so quickly, I was in double shock. I didn’t even have enough time to prepare myself. The ride came to a sudden stop, suspending us in the air vertically. I felt a squeeze on my shoulders and then a pair of arms circling around my neck.

“It’s going to be over soon.” Haneul whispered into my ear.

I nodded robotically. I was too shocked to answer her.

The ride abruptly started again. I grabbed into her hands tight and screamed my lungs out. I could hear her giggling from behind, but I wasn’t sure. When the ride finally ended, all I could see was stars.

“Are you okay?” She asked, holding my arm to support me. We sat down on the bench nearby while I collected myself.

Of course I wasn’t. Yong Junhyung, why don’t you ever learn your lesson? Never ever scare Haneul, she’ll pay you back triple even if you’re her boyfriend. Just what is wrong with you?

“I’m sorry. I never expected the ride to be so extreme.” She said, kissing my cheek.

“I’ll never… tease you.. again.” I mumbled.

She laughed and patted my cheek.

“Later you’ll tease me already. You never learn. Shall we go on another one to get it imprinted in your mind?” She asked.

“NO!!! PLEASE!!!” I begged, almost going onto my knees.

“Just kidding! Let’s go! Can you walk?” She asked, pulling me up.

***

Haneul’s POV

“Where are we going?” I asked him as he drove.

“Dinner.” He said.

“I know. But where?” I asked.

“A really nice place.” He said.

I stopped asking because I know no matter how many times I asked, he would never reply me. I looked outside throughout the whole journey, admiring the scenery on the way.

“We’re here.” He said, parking the car to the side.

“What are we doing here?” I asked, looking around.

The place seemed like a sea or maybe a wholesale fish market.

“For dinner of course.” He said, getting out of car.

“What is there to eat here?” I asked, walking to his side.

He just smiled and pulled me along.

“Sit here and wait for me.” He said, letting me sit down on one of the concrete brick near the sea.

He took off his jacket and covered it over me.

“I’ll be back.” He said, running off.

I watch the ships go by while waiting for him. It was cold and he was really taking a long time. Just as I was about to stand up to go look for him, I saw him walking back, holding a Styrofoam box in one hand and a plastic bag in another.

“You never listen to me, do you? Impatient.” He said as he pinched my nose lightly.

“You were taking so long!” I said.

He just smiled and made me sit down.

“What did you buy?” I asked.

He took out two boxes of rice from the plastic bag and handed them to me with the cutleries.

“What’s inside?” I asked.

“It’s Kikwang.” He whispered.

“Again?” I whispered back.

“I know right. He was being dumb again.” He whispered.

“What did he do?” I whispered back.

“I think he exercised too much that even his brain muscles become hard.” He whispered.

“Oh my gosh~ Is that possible?” I whispered.

“I don’t know.” He whispered.

“What do we do with him?” I whispered.

“I don’t know.” He whispered.

I looked at him, not knowing what to say next. We burst into laughter at our little role play.

“Stop using Kikwang! I like him! He’s so cute!” I laughed, slapping Junhyung’s arm.

“Every time I see a big box or a bulky bag, he is the first one that comes into my mind.” Junhyung laughed.

“Why!?” I asked.

“I don’t know!” He said.

He opened the box, revealing an entire salmon.

“WAH!!!!!!!!!” My jaws dropped.

“This is sashimi grade.” He said.

He pulled out a knife and a chopping board from somewhere.

“You know how to handle this?” I asked.

“Of course!” He said as he sliced the fish into half.

I watch in awe as he worked on the fish like a professional. Just by seeing the orange flesh was enough to make me drool. I happened to look up at his face and saw him really concentrating. Now I understand why people always say guys look the most handsome when they are focused on something. Despite squatting by the sea, he really looked so damn handsome.

“Ahh~” He dipped a piece into the soya sauce wasabi mix and put it at my mouth.

I ate it and squealed in delight.

“How is it?” He asked with a slight smirk.

“DAEBAK!!!!!!!!!!” I shouted.

He laughed and fed me more.

He sliced every piece of the salmon evenly and placed it onto our rice.

“I think it’s enough for now. Let’s eat before the rice turn cold.” I said.

“Alright.” He said, putting the fish back into the Styrofoam box.

“Let’s bring some back for the others.” I said.

“Sure. Unless you can finish everything.” He said, sitting beside me.

“You’ll never know.” I said, eating a spoonful of rice with the fresh salmon.

I have tasted fresh salmon before, but this is the freshest ever!

“I took so long because I was waiting for them to come back from their catch.” He said as he ate.

“You mean they catch even in the evening?” I asked.

“I do my research well.” He said.

“But it’s the Lunar New Year, do they even work?” I asked.

He looked at me and smiled.

“Aren’t you eating the fish now?” He asked.

“Thank you.” I said.

“Forgive me for just now, okay?” He asked.

“No.” I said.

He looked at me pouting.

“But you had your revenge.” He said.

“No.” I said.

“But why?” He asked.

“No.” I said.

“Please.” He pleaded.

“No.” I said.

I looked up at him and laughed.

“I was just imitating my nephew, sorry.” I said.

“You have a nephew?” He asked.

“Yes. I just met him when I went back. He’s two and all he says is ‘no’.” I said.

“That’s cute.” He said.

“No.” I said.

“You’re cute.” He said.

“No.” I said.

“I’m cute.” He said.

“No.” I said.

“Eat up.” He said.

“No.. Ahh.. Yea..” I stuttered, causing him to laugh out.

We had dinner by the sea, watching the fishermen unload their catch from the ships. We were supposed to bring some back for the others but we ended up finishing everything. I guess we were really hungry and the fish was really very fresh.

“What should we bring back now?” I asked, looking at the bones and the head.

“The head maybe?” Junhyung said, looking as well.

“And what do we do with the head?” I asked.

“Hang it at the door of Doojoon’s room?” He said.

“Pabo, isn’t Doojoon’s room your room too!?” I laughed.

“Oh right.” He laughed.

We cleared up and went to walk the street nearby to digest our dinner.

“So full!!” I whined.

“Me too~” He whined.

“I know what you can do if you decide to switch jobs.” I said.

“What?” He asked.

“Open a sushi restaurant!” I said.

“And serve you only, right?” He laughed.

“No! I’m serious! You’re almost professional!” I said.

“Maybe I’ll consider being a fisherman.” He said.

“Are you serious?” I asked.

“No.” He said.

“Then what?” I asked.

“No.” He said.

“Yah!” I hit his arm lightly.

“No.” He said.

“Don’t imitate my nephew!” I laughed.

“No.” He said, laughing as well.

The streets were crowded but it was nice being able to walk like this with him.

“LOOK AT THAT!!” I jumped, pointing at a pink dragon beanie.

I dragged him to the store.

“You may try it on.” The lady at the store said.

I took the beanie and put it on Junhyung’s head.

“SO CUTE!!!” I said.

“I look stupid.” He laughed bitterly.

“No! Come on! It’s you! It’s cute!” I said.

“It’s too cute for me.” He said.

“You’re always saying that you’re cute, aren’t you? Great time to show me how cute you really are!” I said.

He grabbed a polar bear beanie and put it on my head.

“You’ll get this then.” He smiled.

“No!! Beanie messes my hair!” I said.

“No.” He said, not allowing me to take it out.

“How much is both?” He asked the store owner.

“30,000 won.” The store owner said.

He paid and thanked the owner even before I could protest.

We wore our animal headbands over the beanie and continued walking. We didn’t know how ridiculous we actually looked until we passed by a glass window. We stood in front of it and laughed at ourselves like lunatics.

“What are you!? Giraf-gon!” I laughed.

“Then you’re erm… Panlar!” He said.

“Let’s take photos!” I said, pointing at an instant photo machine.

“This is for passports.” He said.

“Is there a law stating that this machine cannot be used for other use apart from passports?” I asked him.

“No but it’s..” I cut him off by covering his mouth.

I dragged him into the booth and put in whatever money needed. We had so much fun with that simple machine. We ended up having ten strips of photos because a certain Yong Junhyung kept wanting to take more.

“I thought someone said these are for passports?” I as we walked, looking at those photos.

“It’s fun~” He said, putting his arm over my shoulders, pulling me closer to him.

“Sleep with me tonight?” He asked suddenly.

“Huh?” I asked.

“Sleep with me tonight.” He repeated.

I looked at him, surprised at his request.

“It’s okay if you…” He said but I cut him off.

“Sure.” I said.

“Really?” He asked.

I nodded.

“Let’s buy pajamas!” He said excitedly.

“Do you wear pajamas?” I asked.

“No.” He said.

“You sleep ?” I asked.

“NO!” He said.

“Then?” I asked.

“Let’s just buy!” He said, pulling me into the shop.

We looked around for pajamas that suit his liking for quite some time.

“Let’s just grab one.” I said.

“Wait~” He said, looking at the designs.

“THIS!!!” He said, showing me a Paul Frank one.

“OKAY!” I said, happy at the fact he finally made his choice.

“But I like this too~” He said, taking another set.

“This doesn’t match. It’s not Christmas.” I said.

“It doesn’t matter!” He said.

“Fine. Why did you even ask?” I mumbled.

“OH THIS IS SO CUTE!!” He showed me a jumper suit.

It was indeed cute.

“Let’s get this! I like the fact it’s footed.” I said.

“Okay! And this too!” He said, throwing in the Christmas design one.

“NO! What for!?” I asked.

“I want!” He whined.

“No, Junnie. Put it back.” I said.

“Please!” He insisted like a child.

The store owner was giggling at us.

“Please please please!” He continued whining.

“It’s of no use.” I said.

“We can wear it to sleep! What do you mean by no use?” He said.

He continued to give me all sorts of reasons.

“Alright alright! Oh my gosh.” I said.

“Yay!” He clapped as he proceeded to make payment.

So in the end, we ended up with the Christmas design pajamas in red and dark blue as well as the footed one in red and black.

“Choding.” I said, making a face at him.

He just smiled dumbly at me. Seeing his behavior, I cannot understand how he is the rapper of Beast. He’s so cute. More like a three year old than a 23 year old.

By the time we arrived back at his dorm, it was already close to 12.30AM. He threw himself onto the sofa and lied there.

“Come on up! Shower!” I said, slapping his .

“Ughhh~” He said into the couch.

“Come!” I said, pulling him up.

I had to literally drag him into the room.

“Which one should we wear?” He asked, looking at the two sets of pajamas.

“Anything.” I said.

“This one.” He said, showing me the Christmas design one.

“No. That one.” I pointed to the footed one.

“You said anything!?” He shouted.

I stuck out my tongue at him and grabbed my red one.

“You can shower here. I’ll use the other toilet.” He said.

We headed to shower separately. When I came out, he was already on the bed. I laughed the moment I saw him. I never imagined seeing Junhyung dressed in something like this.

“Cute!?” He asked, showing me his Paul Frank covered foot.

“You look like a gorilla!! But a very cute one that is!” I said, sitting beside him.

“It’s Paul Fwank!” He aegyo-ed.

“Oh my gosh.” I mumbled.

He helped me blow dry my hair before we both headed for bed.

“So tired.” He said, hugging me.

“Thank you for today.” I said.

“I should thank you. It’s the best lunar new year I ever had.” He said.

“We’ll have more times like this, okay?” I said.

He did not answer.

“Junnie?” I called out.

“Are you asleep?” I asked.

I looked up to see him asleep with his mouth slightly opened. He must be really tired from everything. I covered his mouth but he opened it again.

“Close your mouth. What if a fly goes in?” I whispered.

I pinched his nose lightly when he started snoring softly. He choked and frowned, gasping for air. I let go of him and he continued sleeping peacefully like a baby. I moved up to kiss him on his lips.

“Good night, Love. I love you.” I said, resting my head on his chest.

I could hear his heartbeat as well as his steady breathing. His soft snores were like my lullaby.

He said it was his best Lunar New Year. It was actually mine too. We weren’t in any posh restaurant or luxury cities, but it was more than enough because we were together. I drifted off into sleep myself, holding onto his hand tight.