Goodbye

I'm Different

Jace’s POV

I leaned against the car, waiting for Tae Hyun and Ji Eun to end school. I was going to tell it to them today, but I do not know how.

“DADDY!!” I heard the familiar sunshine voices shouted.

I bend down, open my arms for them jump in.

“How’s school?” I asked, cradling the both of them in my arms.

“Boring.” Ji Eun pouted.

“How old are you to be complaining that school is boring huh?” I pinched her nose lightly.

“Tae Hyun, how is your day?” I asked.

“It’s the same.” He pouted.

“Aie both of you~ Who is hungry?” I asked.

“ME!!!” They yelled, punching their fists into the air.

“Let’s see… What do you want to eat?” I asked.

“Everything umma never allows us to eat!” Ji Eun smiled.

“Your umma allows you guys to eat anything and everything.” I said.

“Oh ya. It’s ahjumma.” She grinned.

“Pizza!?” Tae Hyun suggested.

“You want pizza? Ji Eun, is pizza okay?” I asked.

She nodded, smiling widely.

“Can we have ice cweam after that pwease pwease pwease?” She pleaded, with an extra dose of aegyo.

“Anything for my girl.” I kissed her cheek.

I buckled them up in the backseat before heading off to the pizza place. When we arrived, I handed them the menu and watch them bicker over what to order. Tae Hyun is always the one giving in, but while Ji Eun is demanding, she is sensitive to her brother’s expression and would compromise whenever she senses his unhappiness.

“Choices made?” I asked them after twenty minutes.

They nodded happily. I called for the waiter and allowed them to place their order themselves. The waiter seemed surprised at their order. Two large pizzas, eighteen chicken drumlets, two loafs of garlic bread, three bowls of soup, one serving of fries, potato wedges and onion rings each. He looked at me, perhaps for confirmation. I smiled and nodded. He repeated the order and left.

“Seems like school starved the both of you, didn’t they?” I asked, handing them water to drink.

Ji Eun nodded while Tae Hyun giggled.

I hardly take them out alone. It would usually be with Skye, sometimes Junhyung would tag along, or should it be I tag along them. Either way, it was nice being with the kids alone.

They told me a lot about their day. It is amazing how a few hours in school could seem like a week. They had so much to say that even when the food came, they were still talking. It is only now I realize that these two are really talkative, witty kids, I just never really paid much attention to them, therefore I never knew.

Honestly, when Skye took them back to the orphanage and suggested on taking care of them until someone came for them, I protested against it. We could not even take good care of ourselves, and now take care of another two kids? Who are we kidding?

Skye was persistent. I know she would have done it anyway even if I did not agree. Although I have nothing against the two of them, I just never see myself being associated with kids. But when I saw how Junhyung, despite his Joker swag, try so hard to get close to them and until where he is in their heart now, I started feeling a little shameful about myself.

“Daddy! Are you listening!?” Ji Eun pouted.

“Yes, honey. I am listening.” I said, snapping out of my thoughts.

“What did I say?” She asked.

“Erm… You… I….” I mumbled.

“See! Not listening!” She pouted.

“Sorry.” I pouted at her, causing her to giggle.

“Daddy’s not cute! Appa is cuter!” She said.

“Really? Appa is cuter?” I asked.

She nodded.

“But Daddy is handsome.” She smiled.

“Is Daddy more handsome than Appa?” I asked.

 I just had to do this popularity game.

She bit her lower lips, looking at Tae Hyun who was stuffing his cheeks with fries.

“Eat slowly, boy.” I said, patting his head lightly.

I turned back to Ji Eun.

“So?” I asked.

“Daddy is very handsome, Appa is very handsome too.” She said.

“So who is number one and who is number two?” I asked, purposely making things difficult for her. She looks so cute when in dilemma.

“Daddy is….. number one. Appa is…. also number one.” She said softly.

“Aiee… You can’t do it this way~” I said.

“Why? But both of you are number one to Ji Eun!” She said, pointing her index finger up.

“Right, right. Eat up.” I laughed, patting her cheek lightly.

“And Tae Hyun? Who is number one to you?” I asked, just wanting to disturb him.

“Daddy and Appa are both number two.” He said.

“Why?” I asked, a little surprised.

“Umma is number one.” He smiled.

“Right!” I laughed.

“Oh yea, I forgot umma.” Ji Eun said, sticking out the tip of her tongue.

“You forgot umma? How touching.” I laughed.

“Sorwy~” She pouted.

“Daddy, why aren’t you eating?” Tae Hyun asked, shoving a handful of fries into my mouth.

The two of them laughed at my shocked state. They must have found it amusing, therefore they took turns to shove food into my mouth, not giving me a chance to swallow my food at all.

“I’m so proud of you, babies.” I said sarcastically as I gulped water, washing down whatever food down my throat.

“Thank you.” Tae Hyun grinned.

“Little devil.” I said.

He shook his head, looking at me with big, innocent eyes.

“And you’re a little monster.” I said to Ji Eun.

She looked at me as thou I accused her of something she did not do.

After food, I took them for ice cream as promised. I have no idea how did they manage to finish all those food they ordered and still jump around excited about ice cream. I was on the verge of puking already.

“Daddy, how many flavours can we get?” Tae Hyun asked.

So polite out of a sudden.

“How many flavours do you want?” I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders.

“Daddy, everything looks nice.” Ji Eun said, tiptoeing to get a glimpse of the flavours.

I carried her up, allowing her to see better, but I kind of regretted my actions. I should have just let her tiptoe and see half of whatever ice cream was available.

“Daddy! Everything!” She said excitedly.

“Everything is fine, but can you finish it? And are you sure you eat all flavours?” I asked.

She nodded. I looked at Tae Hyun, he was grinning too.

“May I take your order?” The lady behind the counter asked.

“EVERYTHING!” The two of them yelled in unison.

The lady laughed and looked back at me.

“You heard them.” I said.

Her eyes widened to double the size. This is an exaggeration thou, but about there.

“Every… thing?” She asked.

I nodded.

“Erm.. O.. Okay…” She said, looking around, perhaps to find a big enough tub to hold all the flavours.

“Ahh hold on.” I said.

She looked back at me.

“Except for those with coffee and alcohol. Don’t want these babies getting addicted at this age, you know.” I smiled.

I paid without looking at how much it cost. I do not even wish to know. But no matter how expensive this bowl, or rather, tub of ice cream cost, nothing would be able to compare with the smile on their faces as they eat. Their smiles are priceless.

They had fun with playing the ‘shove food into Daddy’s mouth until he cannot breathe’ game again, in which I gladly allowed them to take advantage of me. But having scoops of ice cream shoved into your mouth countless times is torturous not only on the mouth, but on the brain as well.

After ice cream, I took them on a little shopping spree, spoiling them a little. They were both so worn out that they passed out in the car. I drove around aimlessly, allowing them to sleep. When I finally got them back to the orphanage, they were still in dreamland.

I carried them back into their room and sat down in the center of the room, looking at them sleep.

“I’ll miss you.” I mumbled.

“I’ll miss you so much, my babies.” I said softly.

“I love you.” I said, planting a kiss each on their forehead.

I spaced out in their room until someone sat on my lap. I looked down to find Ji Eun smiling at me.

“Why are you awake, sweetie?” I asked, cradling her in my arms.

She shrugged her shoulders. She rested her head against my chest while I pat her thigh lightly. We stayed in this comfortable silence until Tae Hyun woke up too.

“Daddy~” He smiled.

“You’re awake.” I gestured him to come over.

“Daddy, are you okay?” Ji Eun asked, cupping my cheeks.

She is a sensitive girl, no doubt. Just like Skye. Sometimes I wonder if it is a good or bad thing.

“I…” I mumbled.

Tae Hyun moved away from my lap and sat in front of me. I looked at him, and then at Ji Eun, and back onto the floor.

“I… I am leaving.” I said.

“Leaving?” Ji Eun asked.

I nodded.

“Is it Kenya again?” Tae Hyun asked.

I shook my head.

“Japan?” Ji Eun tried.

I shook my head.

“Erm… America?” She tried again.

“Never mind. Would you bring us a pwaesent when you come back?” She smiled.

Her smile was my breaking point. I burst into tears, shocking them in the process.

“Daddy! Sorwy! Don’t cwy!” She hugged me tight.

“I don’t want the pweasent! Don’t cwy!” She kept planting kisses all over my face.

“It’s not that. Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault. I’m sorry. Must have scared you. Haa..” I wiped off my tears and forced a smile at her.

“So do I still get a pweasent?” She grinned.

“When are you coming back?” Tae Hyun spoke.

“I… Babies… I am.. returning home.” I said.

“Home? Isn’t this home?” Ji Eun asked.

“Of course this is home, just that… another home.” I said softly.

“You’re not coming back?” Tae Hyun asked, his eyes watering.

“I will come back to visit you guys as and when I can.” I said hurriedly.

“You’re not going on a mission trip?” Ji Eun asked.

I shook my head.

“I thought… you were our Daddy.” She said, pouting.

“I am, I always would be! Just… Daddy has his Daddy and Mummy to take care of too.” I explained.

“Everyone throws us away. I hate you.” Tae Hyun said, stomping out of the room.

“Tae Hyun ah! It’s not like that!!” I was kind of startled by his temper.

Ji Eun bit me hard on my neck and stomped off too.

For the next few days, they ignored me totally.

***

I am leaving today, and they are still ignoring me. I sat on the sofa, staring at the television screen.

“It is not going to turn on on it’s own just because you stare hard enough, you know?” Ahjumma said, settling beside me.

“I am not even interested in watching.” I mumbled.

“Thinking about them?” She asked.

“Who else?” I sighed.

“They are angry because you mean a lot to them.” She said.

“They mean a lot to me too.” I mumbled.

“This sounds a little selfish, but I hope you’ll come back some day and settle down here. I don’t know how this orphanage would be like without all of you. Now that Haneul and Junhyung would be taking Tae Hyun and Ji Eun, and you’re leaving too.. It’s like all the sunshine in this orphanage is gone.” She said.

“Please, stop making me feel bad.” I covered my face, in hope she did not see my tears.

“Come here.” She said, pulling me into her embrace.

“I just want to leave happily. But why is everyone making things so tough for me? It’s not like I feel good leaving at all! I feel sad too! It is me who is leaving you guys behind! It is me who is leaving! And I am alone!” I cried.

“Because we love you, Jace. That’s why we’re all upset. Not that we are trying to make things tough for you, silly.” She caressed my back lightly.

“I would very much love it if you could stay, but I know you have your responsibilities too. I understand, Jace. I really do.” She said.

“And I am sure they all do, even Tae Hyun and Ji Eun. It’s just… perhaps… they are still too young to know how to express their feelings well. Also, not like you don’t know what they’ve been through. Being abandoned and all, it is tough on them.” She explained.

I nodded.

***

I took one last look at my room before closing the door. The place I have lived for the past three years without paying any rent. I had food, water, electricity and Internet provided as well. Ahjumma asked nothing in return.

“I’ll always be keeping your room for you.” Ahjumma said, smiling at me.

“I’ll pay for rental the next time I stay here.” I said.

“If you stay for more than a year, then it is free. Or else, the rental fees would be very high.” She said.

I smiled and nodded.

“I never said this, but thank you so much.” I hugged her tight.

“What is this orphanage going to do without you?” She said, patting my back.

“Junhyung.” I said.

“Right, Junhyung.” She laughed.

“I’ll call you.” I said.

“You sure you don’t want to wait for the kids to come back?” She asked.

“I’ve left them notes. Hopefully… they would not crush it and throw it away even before reading.” I said.

“They wouldn’t.” She assured me.

“Goodbye.” I said.

“See you soon.” She smiled.

“I love you.” I kissed her on her cheek before running out of the orphanage.

I boarded a cab and left, not turning back at all.

I arrived at the airport shortly. I stood still, staring at the spot Skye and I found Tae Hyun and Ji Eun three years ago. It felt like yesterday that it happened. Who would have thought three years would pass by so quickly? Who would have thought that three years would change so many things?

“Trying to burn a hole in the wall with your eyes? It wouldn’t work this way, Jace. I’m the one with the Iron Man suit, not you.” I heard a familiar voice say.

I turned back and could not hold back my tears any more when I saw Skye, Junhyung and his Beast friends, together with Ji Eun and Tae Hyun walking towards me.

“I said not to come!” I buried my face in my palms, bawling my eyes out.

“How can we not come? Hmm? I never expect to see you cry so much, Jace. In all these years I’ve known you, I think this is the most times I’ve seen you cry.” Skye hugged me, her protruding belly poking against my stomach.

“Hi.” Doojoon and the rest greeted.

“Hi.” I smiled awkwardly.

“Really? You think we would just let you leave like that?” Junhyung said, pulling Skye away.

“Enough of hugging my wife.” He said, causing us to burst into laughter.

“I’ve hugged her so many times you cannot even count.” I .

“Yah!” He frowned.

“Just kidding. Don’t get mad.” I poked his cheek.

“But really, thank you for coming. I feel so… hahaha.. weird. Usually it is people sending celebrities off, but in my case, celebrities send me off. Haa…” I laughed.

“I don’t see this as sending off. I’ll just take it as you’re going on a long trip. You’ll come back, right?” Junhyung said.

I smiled at him. I did not dare to promise anything. What if I don’t come back at all?

I looked at Tae Hyun and Ji Eun who were pouting.

“Are you all going to still be angry with Daddy?” I asked, squatting down, opening my arms, in hope they would jump in, in which they did.

I hugged them tightly.

“Sorwy, Daddy.” Ji Eun said.

“For what?” I asked.

“For biting you.” She said.

“It’s fine. I’ll take it as a kiss from you.” I laughed.

“I don’t hate you.” Tae Hyun said softly.

“I know. Thank you.” I kissed his cheek.

“Daddy, take this.” Ji Eun said, handing me her robot soft toy.

“Why? It’s so precious to you.” I said.

“When Appa was sick, I gave it to him too. Now that Daddy you’re going home, I hope you’ll remember Ji Eun and Tae Hyun, and maybe one day you’ll come back.” She said with a pout.

“I’ll never forget both of you. How can I ever forget?” I said.

“Daddy, this is your home too. Tae Hyun and Ji Eun would be waiting for you.” Tae Hyun said, pouting to suppress his tears, but failed.

“Daddy, you’re the best Daddy ever. I love you.” Ji Eun planted a kiss on my lips.

“I love the both of you so much.” I said, kissing them all over their faces.

I hugged them tightly for a few minutes. I was so reluctant to let go.

“Be very good kids, okay? Listen to umma well. You may bully appa a little, but be sure to hug and kiss him afterwards, or else he’ll be sad.” I said to them.

Junhyung made a face at me.

“We will.” Tae Hyun smiled.

“Promise.” Ji Eun grinned.

I stood up and looked at the rest.

Skye was just smiling. Her eyes were teary, but I know it was not because I am leaving. She was used to having me come and go. I believe the cause of her tears would be what the kids said.

Junhyung looked at me, and then suddenly punched me on my arm.

“You better not disappear from the face of Earth.” He said.

“I wouldn’t.” I said.

I looked at the time. I had to go.

“Thank you for coming, all of you.” I bowed to them.

I adapted the Korean style in some stuff.

“Have a safe flight.” Hyunseung said.

“When you come back, we’ll get to know each other better, okay?” Yoseob said.

“We don’t know each other well, but I have to admit you’re very handsome.” Dongwoon said.

They laughed and smacked him.

“We can work out together some day.” Kikwang said.

“Thank you guys, really.” I smiled.

“Take very good care of yourself and your family, okay?” Junhyung said, hugging me.

“You too. The kids and Skye, I’m handing them to you. I trust you.” I said.

“Find yourself a girl too.” He smiled.

I ignored his statement and turned to Skye.

“I’m used to this, so… say hi to uncle and aunty for me.” She said.

“I’ll tell them all about you.” I smiled.

“Please leave out the bad stuff.” She said.

“Oh no! Bad stuff are the juicy ones.” I winked. She punched my shoulder and laughed.

“Goodbye.” I said, finally.

I felt a hug on my leg. I looked down to see Ji Eun pouting at me, tears flowing all over her cheeks.

“Daddy~” She whined.

Her tears broke my heart.

I carried her up, coaxing her.

“Shhh~” I hushed her.

“Pwomise Ji Eun you’ll come back. Even if it’s just once.” She said.

I nodded.

I felt a tug on my hand. Tae Hyun looked at me, pouting. I carried him up. It was not easy carrying two growing child at the same time, but I could not afford to be weak.

He buried his face into my neck.

“I love you, Daddy.” He whispered into my ear.

“I love you too.” I whispered back.

He kissed me on my cheek before allowing me to put him down. Ji Eun was still clinging onto my neck.

“Baby ah, come. Daddy has to go.” Junhyung tried to coax her.

“No!” Ji Eun cried.

“Please, darling.” I said.

“Daddy, no!” She cried harder.

She kicked Junhyung when he tried to carry her.

“You just promised me you’ll be good.” I said.

“But I’ll miss you!!!” She cried loudly.

“So would I, princess.” I said, hushing her.

She quiet down after I hushed her for about twenty minutes. She was tired from all the crying and reluctantly allowed Junhyung to carry her.

“We’ll facetime Daddy everyday, okay?” Junhyung said, wiping off her tears.

“At 4AM everyday!” She pouted.

We laughed at her little tantrum.

“But at 4AM, Daddy would be sleeping and would look very ugly.” I said.

“I don’t care!” She said.

“Alright, alright. I’ll see you at 4AM then.” I laughed.

I kissed the two on their cheeks again before bidding them goodbye. I took one last glance at them before heading in. I walked straight in without turning back. To the place I called home for the past three years, goodbye.

***
tumblrm678aypskb1qerbfa.gifJace: I… Babies… I am.. returning home.

tumblrm5mpd6cz9k1r0td7g.gifJace: I just want to leave happily. But why is everyone making things so tough for me? It’s not like I feel good leaving at all! I feel sad too! It is me who is leaving you guys behind! It is me who is leaving! And I am alone!

tumblrlzloa0bwil1rpki46.gifTae Hyun: Daddy, this is your home too. Tae Hyun and Ji Eun would be waiting for you