Maybe That's How Spring Comes - 96

LUST reviews >> archive > main shop accepting requests!
occ

maybe that's how spring comes

reviewed by exoexoexolellel

 

the request.

AUTHOR » JungMichan

STORY status » Completed

chapters reviewed » 3

genres » Romance, Angst

description » They say food tastes best if it's made with love, but Jongdae has a hard time putting love into his cooking when there's a rival café opening right across the street. His tiny business is struggling enough as it is, he doesn't need the competition. Especially not competition that cleans their window fronts in sleeveless shirts in summer for everyone to see.

 

" No matter how people may belittle me, it can't be worse than me belittling myself."


" I've gained more strength and I've learned what it means to never give up. "


 

 

 

title (3)

appeal » 2/2

correlation » 1/2
CLARITY » 0/1

The title has a really nice ring to it. It's not too lengthy and it's vague enough to tempt the readers to want to know what the story is about, without sounding too faraway. It would have definitely caught my eye if I were scrolling through a list of fanfictions. Correlation and clarity however, don't come crystal clear to me. Though not obvious, I can take an educated guess that the title refers to how Jongdae feels about Minseok marking a spot for himself in Jongdae's life. The clarity falters at the use of 'spring'. I'm not quite sure why you chose 'spring' to define your story. Was there reference to the seasons as a motif or symbol throughout the story? Do flowers come into the picture and does it mean anything valuable to the plot? Does 'spring' refer to a fresh start or perhaps personal growth on Jongdae's part? Does it relate to Jongdae or Minseok at all? Because it's not coherent to me what 'spring' represents, I'm not sure what 'that' is, and so what has come? It's not coherent as a composition's title should be. It may be useful to make it clearer somewhere within the plot why you've named the story the way you have. 

 

 

    graphics (4)

 

APPEAL OF THE poster » 1.5/2

correlation to the story » 1.5/2
suitability of the vibe from the graphics » 1/1

 

The story poster is quite appealing and soft to the eye. I adore the warm brown and muted pink colours creating a beautiful dynamic with the occasional white. It projects a shy and subtle tone which I think is quite fitting to the themes portrayed in the storyline. Contrastly to the title, the story image gives off an autumn vibe, especially with the brown hues. Perhaps this is briefly saved with the addition of the flowers, though as discussed above, I am conflicted with the choice of title. Easy pickouts of Jongdae and Minseok as the main characters to the fanfiction. Presentation of the title I'm 80% happy with. The scrawl style is very attractive but I think if you make it thicker, it would be easier to recognise the title on first glance. The current thickness is similar to the flower sketches and we want the title to be super flashy, almost the first feature that the readers lay eyes on. I'm assuming you created the poster yourself (and if you had, superb job I am in awe) so hopefully you can make this edit. Lastly, I think the whole image will tie together super well if you take out the Korean characters in the background. This is for two reasons. One, I'm not quite sure of its relevance to the plot (does Jongdae bury his nose in a book? Is he a writer? Does he wish he has time to read and/or write? Does it somehow wildly relate to Jongdae's past traditional life with his family?). Two, you'll find that the rest of the poster will stand out a lot more without the Korean characters as a distraction. Backgrounds need to have the least focus so if you include objects and patterns in the background, you take away the focus from the other features which are more significant (story title, characters, poster symbolism such as the the flowers, the choice of colours in the poster). It becomes too much to look at it. If you can remove the Korean writing, see how a plain and seemingly boring background makes such a difference. This would be especially so because you already have a number of detailing in the rest of the poster. A simple and featureless background becomes necessary. 

 

 

    description and foreword (10)

 

APPEAL of the description » 4/4

appropriateness of the description » 4/4
organisation of description and foreword » 2/2
 

Description and Foreword is simple and ordinary yet alluring this way. The description is short and succinct, direct and straight to the point, and is an appropriate introduction to Jongdae's role in the story. It gives sufficient information in a compact manner so that there is no room for vagueness and confusion. No issues with the Foreword either, I think it's great that you've supplied a glossary for Korean terms used in the composition. 

 

 

    story layout (5)

 

consistency of font, font size and divisions » 3/3

overall appeal and organisation of chapters » 2/2
 

Chapters are kept very consistent with font, font size and spacial divisions. The occasional flower borders are appealing, relate to the title theme and provides a very polished, neat and organised chapter layout. Superb job here. Just one exception to the end of this sentence from Chapter 3 where there is extra spacing:

 

He turns around once on the fuzzy blanket before settling down and giving Jongdae a reproachful stare .

 

PLOT (30)

APPEAL OF the base storyline » 10/10

the effect of events » 10/10
development of plot » 10/10
 

The storyline was an extremely pleasant experience to read. The small town setting could've created a challenge in limiting entertainment and excitement but you easily cruised your way through that and didn't let it fester into an issue at all. Depiction of Jongdae's frequent episodes of anxiety kept the reality of the storyline grounded and made it so that each little action or situation became a very big deal. This created intensity in the reading experience amongst the backdrop of ordinary settings. There never lacked any explanation on why things turn out the way they do, for example, how Jongdae became to be so introverted and perpetually frightened at change in his daily routine. The time taken to lay out the works of these elements that feature in the storyline allow the readers to explore the themes which make the fanfic a powerful read. You continuously revisited Jongdae's condition that had drastically affected his personality and his social attitude, and this really emphasised the impotence of trauma as a real and sensitive problem. Somewhat menial scenes such as the setup stage of Black Cat Nero, Chaneyol's clumsiness at work complemented with Baekhyun's efficient service, Seulgi visiting Baekhyun during her time off - all these details kept the plot lively in a seemingly standard story context. The addition of all these details made the story come alive and in turn made the characters and events appear realistic, appealing and exhilarating. Great choice of events and situations to effectively push the story along. Development of the storyline also relied heavily on character dialogue. I think you used dialogue quite powerfully in this regard to portray who each character was and their significance to the fic. The dynamic that you created with each character wonderfully complemented the storyline and added to the many charms of 'maybe this is how spring comes'. Full marks here, a truly exceptional piece of work.

    characterisation (10)

 

development of characters » 5/5

character influence on the story » 5/5
 

This category was also very impressive. It's obvious that you had each major and minor character planned out and you knew exactly what each of their roles were. Specific habits which define each character went a long way to make them all super realistic, believable and enticing. Most prominent with Jongdae, the history of each character didn't raise any questions whatsoever and each held a great impact on the story. As discussed previously, there was really good closure supplied to the readers regarding how Jongdae came to be who he is today. Explanation of his family background, small but sufficient snippets of his time in military service, his first romantic experience with Jimin, and what Jongdeok thought of Jongdae in the past and present. These scenes tied together smoothly for an unquestionable development of Jongdae's character as the narrator of the story, which is an extremely hard task to accomplish. 

 

Minseok's mellow personality contrasted interestingly with Jongdae's introverted and intimidated persona. I particularly liked the addition of his individualistic habits and the way you portrayed them, for instance, his obsession with cleaning and how he has (a minor case of?) OCD. His preference to drink his beverages by lipping the whole rim of the cup almost had me screaming - it's a habit I do myself though only when I make coffee at home, which is at least once a day. I'm not sure about Minseok but my explanation is that I like to get rid of the froth that the coffee leaves. Looks easier to clean afterwards! No doubts here that you've showcased Minseok to be an honest and believable character. His slight mysterious and observant traits enhanced the typical formula of a do-gooder character, being considerate, nice, friendly, etc. Minseok's unfocused care for Jongdae prevented the labelling his makeup to be cliche and unoriginal. This enabled enjoyment of Minseok as a supporting character without rendering him to be plain and boring. 

 

And lastly, some great variety with the side characters. There are more prominent supporting characters like Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Yixing, and less major ones like Lu Han, Sooyoung and Jimim, all of who were briefly mentioned but weren't nonsensically brought up or made an appearance without a productive purpose. This gave off the impression that although the story setting is relatively small, each major or minor character holds much importance, and that's one of the beauties of your composition.

 

 

    content description (9)

 

quantity » 5/5

quality » 4/5
 

Generally I'm really happy with the quality and quantity of description used in your narration. You provide plenty of background to Jongdae's past as an explanation of who he is today, as well as Cafe Amaranth's history. Excellent balance between use of character dialogue and descriptions of scenes and character reactions. Narrating with elongated sentences is clearly a defining feature of your writing style and really amps up the emotions that the characters exhibit, especially with Jongdae. I did not feel there was any major aspect that lacked description and required elaboration. In particular, I'm really impressed with the way which you make it blatantly obvious Jongdae suffers social anxiety with newcomers and with any moment that threatens exposure of his uality. You do this by contiunously describing the way he feels and what he would rather think of himself, instead of broadly labelling it as 'anxiety' or 'trauma'. And an emphasis on continuous - it isn't just a handful of sections here and there portraying Jongdae's emotional turmoil. An exceptional job with depicting Jongdae's character. Other descriptions are just pleasantly tasteful, for example this extract from Chapter 2:

 

Their faces are so close, Minseok's gaze soft as he admires Jongdae's earrings, lips slightly parted in his natural pout. He has a tiny smattering of freckles on the outside edges of his cheekbones, very pale, invisible from any further away, and his eyes - God, up close his eyes are even more breathtaking than he’d imagined. So dark, yet so vivid. Minseok is so beautiful it makes Jongdae's chest ache in a way that’s entirely different to the anxiety.

 

Really good utilisation of showing Minseok's beauty rather than leaving it as 'Jongdae thinks Minseok is pretty'. I could really picture Minseok's face as the words come, which is exactly what we want when narrating each scene to the readers. We can't assume that the readers will believe the narrator if there is only telling and no showing. Below are some issues that are fairly small, and quite nit-picky to be honest. I picked them out to be super thorough in what I believe may help to further improve your writing, though I think you have this section in the bag. Keep at it! 

 

Some sentences in your narration are particularly long, which sometimes drags on the reading tone and may affect enjoyment. Used sparingly, exceptionally long sentences can be impactful for the reader and the narration. However, overuse can lead to exhaustion and lose the technique's intended effect. Below are some examples from Chapter 1.

 

The new café across the road takes shape. Jongdae tries not to be too obvious about staring out the front window as Yukhei’s senior Lu Han, and the other man, still nameless, prepare the place for opening, but Baekhyun unashamedly lingers every time he clears the front bar.

 

 

The small city of Daejeon, and his family home, is a two-hour drive south. Jongdae doesn’t have a car, KTX is expensive, and the provincial buses are truly terrible, so he accepts his brother’s offers of a ride, and does his best to keep up a cheerful chatter and not let the atmosphere in the car grow too awkward. His brother has just proposed to his girlfriend - fiancée, now.

 

A good indicator of when the sentence is extremely long is the repetitive use of commas ( , ) without the period ( . ) to conclude the sentence. A traditional sentence uses two commas maximum. Again, elonged sentences can be very effective when used sparingly but if they are used excessively to the point where it becomes the norm, they can exhaust the readers. You can think of using a comma as the reader taking a very quick breath whereas a period is a temporary pause, allowing for the reader to take a short break. So, if I, were, to use, a lot of commas, in this sentence, as exaggeration and in pretence that all these words were multiplied, it would be the equivalent, of, inhaling frequently within a short, period of time. Separating some sentences into two or more may do no harm, keeps the read fresh, and may emphasise tone and meaning of the scene or plot. This is somewhat subjective so it is up to your discretion to see whether you would like to take note of this point or not. The main takeaway is to be aware of dragging on a sentence longer than necessary, which would risk boredom and reading fatigue (to be a little dramatic, but I hope you understand my point).

 

Another example below from Chapter 3. Note the use of truncated sentences in the last two paragraphs to contrast the long sentences. Using short sentences to contrast the long ones introduces excitement to the reading pace. I would accept extremely lengthy sentences when describing Jongdae's anxious thoughts or overwhelming emotions, in articulating the extent of his panic. However, more ordinary descriptions such as describing how Jongdae would usually act around his family, doesn't need to be emphasised with elongated sentences (in comparison to Jongdae's daily mental and emotional turmoil). In these instances, I would recommend breaking up the length of your sentences to retain the powerful effect for when you do want to emphasise overwhelming thoughts and feelings. 

 

He sits in the backseat of his brother’s car for the drive down to Daejeon, because his brother’s fiancée, Eunji, is coming too this time. He feels more like a child than ever as he stares out of the window at the passing fields and hills and valleys with their little townships, while his brother and his soon-to-be sister-in-law discuss the merits of buying an apartment versus a house, calmly discussing the potential number of future children and the likelihood and variety of pets, the zones for the best schools, and other, impossibly domestic things. Jongdae cannot connect to it any more than he can connect to the ten-minute argument Jongdeok has with a prosecutor on his earpiece halfway there, full of incomprehensible legalese.

 

They arrive mid-afternoon. Jongdeok presses the doorbell, and their father answers the door, letting them in with a quiet greeting before disappearing back into his study. Their mother is in the kitchen already, with their aunt, and when Jongdae goes into the kitchen and greets them politely and rolls up his sleeves, his mother sighs heavily, but doesn’t comment. They work without speaking, the kitchen filled only with the classical music playing from the radio, and Jongdae loses himself in the familiar motions of preparing the traditional meal.

 

Dinner is no worse than he expected. His father asks his brother about work, and his mother asks Eunji about all the plans they’re making for their wedding in the spring. Nobody speaks to Jongdae directly beyond things like “please pass the kimchi”, and he doesn’t have the heart to force his way into the conversation. He picks at the dishes he’s spent all afternoon preparing, but he has no appetite, and the little he manages to swallow sits heavy and uncomfortable in his stomach. He stays at the table only long enough to be polite, excusing himself by pretending he has to make a phone call, and exhales only when he’s closed the door to his childhood bedroom.

 

 

On another note, I noticed that you overuse 'say' quite a lot. The majority of 'maybe this is how spring comes' is based on dialogue, so it's important to use as many synonyms as we can to keep the read fresh and interesting. I had actually read your story twice and didn't pick up on this aspect the first time round. So though woven in subtly, it's almost glaringly obvious if a reviewer or a reader was paying close attention to the way dialogue is presented. To illustrate this, here's a massive excerpt from Chapter 1 again where I've emboldened every time 'says' was used:

 

“Not officially,” Jongdae says, refusing to let his smile slip. “It was more like an apprenticeship. A couple of guys who used to work at Amaranth taught me all I know, but we do employ a certified Korean chef too. How about you? Did you go to culinary school?”

 

Minseok laughs. “No. You’re going to laugh at me, but I can’t even really cook. I spent every spare second between setting up last week practicing muffins and soup. I can follow a recipe if I focus, but I set the smoke detectors off twice before I figured out that setting a timer is really important.”

 

“What made you decide to open a café, then?” Jongdae asks curiously.

 

Minseok’s eyes go a little dim. “I always wanted to work with animals,” he says. “Doing it as a vet didn’t work out for me, so I figured this was the next best thing.”

 

There’s something painful there. Jongdae finds himself wanting to reach out. “You’ll help both animals and people this way,” he says, praying he isn’t overstepping the line. “So many people can’t keep pets of their own. You’re going to give a lot of people joy.”

 

Minseok smiles, the brightness coming back to his eyes, and Jongdae nearly sags with relief. “That’s the idea,” he says. “I call it cat therapy. Do you have any pets?”

 

“No,” Jongdae says, “but I might be coming over rather often now that I’ve found out how cute yours are.”

 

Minseok laughs. “You’re welcome to come play with them any time,” he says. “They need as much socialising as possible, especially the younger ones. They’re more likely to be adopted if they’re friendly with people. Just message me if it’s after hours and I’ll let you in. I live upstairs so it’s no trouble.”

 

“Are you sure?” Jongdae asks. There’s something welling up inside him, pushing at the corners of his lips, trying to make his smile too bright. “I wouldn’t want to bother you.”

 

“We’re neighbours,” Minseok says simply, holding out his hand for Jongdae’s phone. “Neighbours have to stick together.”

 

Jongdae watches Minseok scan his KakaoTalk code, their phones chiming happily as they connect. Minseok looks up and gives him another bright smile. He’s so free with them.

 

“You might regret this,” Jongdae says as he takes his phone back.

 

“Never,” Minseok says. “Oh no, I’m being a terrible waiter, aren’t I? Talking your ear off instead of serving you.”

 

“It’s okay,” Jongdae says. “I like your style of waiting.” And oh, he didn’t mean that to come out flirtatious, complete with the coy upward glance through the lashes. Jongdae’s fingers tighten on his jeans, laughing quickly to turn it into a joke. Minseok laughs too, and the relief makes Jongdae’s head spin.

 

“Good to know,” he says. “What can I get for you?”

 

To reiterate, they were subtly woven in. However, once I caught wind of the repetition it was hard not to notice for the remainder of the read. Including scene actions and character expressions are a good replacement of using 'says'. Some instances you do vary the scene narration with actions and character expressions but you do so to complement 'he says' or 'she says'. What I mean by replacement instead of merely complementing is that you can substitute 'says' entirely with those actions and character reactions. So you don't need to write 'he says' or 'she says'. This would lessen the number of times you use 'says' in your narration. Usually it's quite clear who said what so it should be harmless to negate the manner in which the character speaks aloud, especially if there are only two characters present in the scene. Hopefully this makes sense, happy to clarify further if you need. Another option would be to replace 'says' with synonyms according to the mood of the scene - words like 'exhales', 'chuckles', 'grins', 'whispers', 'murmurs', etc. 

 

Across the board, you've been very diligent in providing background to the story, particularly with Jongdae's past. This is important where the fic is short. I am 99% happy. However, this section from Chapter 1 may fare better with some elaboration:

 

Jongdae’s hand twitches on Haru’s scarred side as his traitorous mind provides him with a wealth of possible suggestive comebacks to that. Jesus, he thinks, ruthlessly shoving the thoughts back down. He has to get a grip on himself.

 

This part here I felt could be helped with some examples of what Jongdae's traitorous mind was speaking. Though you have done an excellent job introducing Jongdae to the readers, at this early point in the story he's still a very new character along with the rest of the story, so we shouldn't skip over examples and assume that the readers are already familiar with their narrator. This was the only part where I thought elaboration could have benefited the ease with which the readers absorb their narrator, and it's quite a minor pick-up. You've done really well with the rest of the chapter and the fanfiction. To further illustrate my point, here is an extract from Chapter 2 where you supplied an example and did wonders to reveal how Jongdae perceives things:

 

It shouldn’t be so hard to tell Baekhyun. One might think it was simple, just a sentence, a couple at most. It's not hard to think of the words. He's come up with hundreds of variations over the years. Baekhyun, he could say now, I appreciate your efforts on my behalf, but I’m more interested in the Minseoks of the world than the Sooyoungs.

 

That one example was very powerful to showcase exactly how Jongdae thinks. Again this is important because we need time and description to familiarise ourselves with the story's characters, quite particularly the narrator. Not hiding the narrator's true thoughts and the manner in which they think and perceive situations allow us to truly understand them. Then we make an opinion on them, and then we decide whether we like the characters or not.

 

flow (5)

suitability of the flow » 2/2

your control of the pace » 3/3
 

I thought the flow was super controlled. You spent appropriate time on particular aspects which required elaboration for a sufficient introduction of plot and characters to the readers. I didn't feel any particular scene was rushed - I found the majority of the narration to be slow but reasonably so. I think it complemented the routine life of the small town quite wonderfully. 

 

 

    grammar (10)

 

punctuation » 4/4

spelling » 2/2
vocabulary » 2/2
tense collisions » 2/2

 

Absolutely astounded with this category. I came across almost no grammatical mistakes. Flawless use of punctuation and zero typographic errors. Use of present tense was consistent and there are a handful of advanced vocabulary littered throughout the chapters to keep the read fresh and exciting. Your perfect score is almost maddening. 

 

I was so familiar with the meticulous grammar that I had to reread this sentence six times from Chapter 2 to be convinced it may be a mistake:


If he knew all the lies Jongdae has told, or not told but just kept quiet on.

If he knew all the lies Jongdae has told, or not told but just kept quiet on.

 

 

    taste of story (10)

 

personal enjoyment of plot and characters » 5/5
influence of flow and grammar » 4/4

length of your story » 1/1

 

I really enjoyed this read; there are more than enough little gems hidden beneath the surface of the plot that convinced me to upvote your story. To name a few, my favourite ones are the descriptions that depict Jongdae's nervousness and anxiety towards socialisation and his uality, Jongdae's workaholic trait, and the dynamic of all major and minor characters that interweave to form such an interesting world in a small town. Again, brilliant representation of how Jongdae battles his traumatic experiences and social fears, with constant pressure from the story's events to bring about his reactions and force his character to develop. This not only portrays such a powerful topic worthy of contemplation and discussion, but resembles the core of your plot. I found Minseok's character to be uniquely alluring and thought he was a great complement to Jongdae's personality. More love for your side characters - Baekhyun's strong brotherhood to Jongdae and the occasional appearances of Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Yixing, Junmyeon and Sehun to keep the setting grounded. Flow and grammar was excellent, absolutely zero complaints. As mentioned before, I've given your story a read twice now and I'm still recovering. Congratulations on such a high score from me! 

 

Sincere apologies that the review took so long to reach you. I hope you're happy with it. I'll definitely be keen to see more of your work so keep up with the future writings! All the best. 

 

total score (96)

thank you for requesting at lust. we hope you will provide feedback.