Release Me

LUST reviews >> archive > main shop accepting requests!

LUST

Review shop since 06.29.14

     1 2
 
release me
Everyone has a story. Everyone has a sob story. Kim Nara is an orphaned child who is in love with her best friend but that's not all there is to her. Park Chanyeol is the happiest, most inspiring person anyone knows but that's not all there is to him. 
 
There’s more to people than the story that follows them.
 
 
 
reviewed by: exoexoexolellel

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
Title (3/5)
Everytime I see the title I immediately start singing "Release Me" by Agnes. Old songs are always at the back of my head lol. "Release Me" is quite an attrative title - not unnecessarily long nor is it one word (not that all one word titles immediately lose their appeal. If authors decide to name their story with one word, they would just need to take into account how commonly used is their desired title). I'd say Release Me would certainly catch a few eyes if readers were scrolling through a list of fanfictions. 
You've picked well for your story, and this has lots to do with you planning the story ahead. I think the idea of 'release' is effectively appropriate in the story, and you have clearly shown this throughout the plot. However, as well as you have described and demonstrated the idea to me, the only thing I do not comprehend, is where the "Me" comes in. I will assume here that "Me" is indeed Kim Nara, considering that the story is told through her perspective. Conversely, every other character also has their own sob story (:3) so really, "Release Me" could be claimed by any one of your characters. If the latter theory is a fact, then I feel like everyone else's problem(s) should have been addressed more in the story itself as Nara's seem to be more dominant. 
 
Graphics (2/5)
The poster is visually quite nice though I'd say the filter for some of the characters are a bit much, especially for Jongin. There are roses in the background, and I think that's a mirror, and I used to be quite strict with posters, not sure if I should continue that but to make this batch fair, I will be pulling off some points from the lack of correlation between the poster and the story. The circle of circles looks to represent the tightly-knit group of friends - very appropriate. A few off things: one would be the missing figure of Jongdae, as he's part of the circle. Two would be Baekhyun being placed at what looks to be the back, plus he's relatively the smallest in size when he's much closer to Nara than that of Sehun and Jongin. And three, would be the expressions on Kai and Sehun... one could argue that Sehun is smiling from the company of Nara and their friends, but he is kept as the mysterious and stone-faced member of the group. I would have expected Kai to have a more cocky and arrogant vibe to the poster, but maybe you opted for a different feel and wanted to represent these characters in another point of the story. It's also useful to grab a matching background.
And one last thing, being a bit of a Grammar Nazi, "There"s more to people than the story that follows them". There"s 
 
Description and Foreword: (7/10)
I feel that the description should have encircled a lot more, considering the fact that a lot more of the guys appear and matter more to the readers after Chanyeol's time. Looking back on the description, it sounds like the story would have relied heavily on the characters of Chanyeol and Nara, and "there's more to people than the story that follows them" is just a very vague and short introduction for the remaining boys. The current description, however, does attract incoming readers, but whether it really pulls them into your story is a matter you should consider. Though your story is completed, if you think you would like to refresh on the Description, don't make it too long and every little thing addressed in the story does not have to be present; instead, opt for a more generalised summary of Release Me.
The character profiles and their brief descriptions are fine. I found one mistake though, and maybe I'm just misunderstanding: In Baekhyun's description, "Everyone except himself and Nara know that he has a crush on her". So Baekhyun didn't know he had a crush on Nara?
I'll apologise here because I must have missed the whole Foreword, that I did not realise there were character descriptions and the small section of background information for Release Me before I started into your story. Hence, I did not see "baekyeol" and "baekchen" which is why one of your plot twists really got me. You'll read further into that in Plot. On that note however, where was baekchen in the story?
 
Story Layout: (5/5)
The layout of the chapters were kept neat and tidy, with the same fonts in each consecutive chapter, and I also enjoyed the pictures here and there. I'm thinking of also applying that to my main fanfiction as all I'm doing is hyperlinking my pictures into particular words in my chapters, and sometimes I feel that my readers may miss the visuals. Following the simple slotting the pictures inbetween paragraphs would affect the current layout I have for my story albeit so I will consider changing the layout. 
I've never really liked half of the fonts provided in the default editor, Verdana included (or else, I think that's what you used), but I enjoyed Release Me so much that I might start using Verdana more xD. 
The only thing that I'll pinpoint here, is when you're making a break between chapters, you should continue with putting a hiven in between large spaces to indicate so, because I know you like to separate specific lines for impact (this is very informal but it's too effective for me to disapprove of) and at times when you forget the hiven I assume that you're making a super big surprise, when it's just the start of a new setting. 
 
Plot: (30/30)
I bet that upon figuring out Release Me's storyline, you got out a piece of paper and drew a triangle.
There are a lot of cliche stories out there, and honestly I do not expect to experiece anymore plot twists that take me by surprise. Love triangles are so common, Baekhyun and Chanyeol are a huge ship, and I still did not once think that Chanyeol couldn't return Nara's feelings. I even thought, as Baekhyun confessed to Nara for the first time, that it could almost be a triangle, and that last side is like a broken link, what a shame. I still did not even consider the possibility that Chanyeol can complete that very triangle. Another plot twist that threw my hands in the air: Chanyeol suiciding. We all knew he was hiding something very important, but I did not comprehend his words as Nara did not comprehend at that time, and I still didn't even know it was coming when Nara started screaming. It took me abruptly by surprise. On that note though, I'm not sure whether a car travelling at 30km/h could not have seen Chanyeol step onto the road, but I'll leave that aside since the story was written so well...
Release Me is a well planned, friendship based fanfiction. It is a storyline I quite disapprove of, actually, as my mum always reminds me family comes first, and she has been proven right when she's told me a number of times that friends can love you, and you can love your friends, but with a click of a finger they can turn on you just like that. So Nara's love for her friends, and her friends love for her seems almost too good to be true for me. Nevertheless, the plot is amazing and I'm in love with it.
All the events combine so well together. In the group of friends, all their personalities mould into one, and it's sweet that they not only do whatever they have in their will to proctect the single female in their group, but their protection towards Nara goes the exact same for each other. Sehun's big mistake clearly demonstrates this, as well as Chanyeol's announcement of engagement. Release Me portrays a number of ideas represented in today's society, such as the typical-university party, the types of incidents other characters experience and how it can be all real and not just something written in a movie. There is nothing unrealistic about Release Me.
Romance is a big thing about readers nowadays, and it's especially hot here in AFF with every one of us being a fan of one, or multiple idols and bands. Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kai, Sehun, and Luhan all had their charms that Nara and your readers can't repel, and I'm sure each of them equally were rooted for. You've definitely kept us all on edge as you dragged the chapters on, not revealing who Nara chose until the very end. If you would like my personal opinion, I wasn't rooting for anyone in particular until all this romance talk came up on Sehun's birthday, but, Annie, I swore back then, that if you did not let Baekhyun have Nara I would have bombarded the comments with fury. I'm taking full bias in reality out of the picture and just focusing on the story; Baekhyun, having met and spent a hella more time with Nara than Jongin, Sehun or Luhan (for bloody sakes), deserves Nara more than anything in this petty world. One thing I noticed easily after Chanyeol died and Kai, Sehun and Jongdae started to be more in the big picture, was the distance between Nara and Baekhyun. They were still very close at the funeral of Chanyeol, but once they started knitting their circle of friends, Nara and Baekhyun didn't act too close to each other as much as they did, and probably should have, in the past. It made me wonder whether you as the author struggled to show more of him and his intimateness with Nara, or whether he was deliberately being put back so the idea of seeing Baekhyun more than a best friend and a brother would be minimised.
Not revealing to the readers much of Nara and Baekhyun's relationship in the end frustrated me a little, and probably all of your readers, but as a reviewer analysing your story, I would think this is most appropriate, as the storyline of Release Me circles around Nara's pure love for Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun, Jongin and Jongdae, and vice versa, and how they venture out in the new together, how they confront and tackle problems together, how they make memories together, how they do everything together genuinely as the best of friends. Ending Release Me with couple moments would have been sort of awkward. And you have definitely reinforced the strong friendship concept by ending the story with the release of the boba tea God. The story could not have been written in any other way than in its pefection stage at this moment.
 
Characterization: (10/10)
I think it would be best to split this category into individual characters, mainly the major ones. In general though, most of them are introduced and were developed beautifully.
 
Kim Nara
Where do I even start lol. I guess it would be safe to say that you've showed us right at the start Nara is an intelligent character. Being well aware of the fatal truth of her parents at the mere age of five years old and appropriately mourning at a full extent, it's of no shock that it is in her character to be very observant of her surroundings and is able to draw conclusions from them. Meeting and bonding with Park Chanyeol has significantly impacted her attitude towards life, and from there she has bloomed and grown into a healthy teenager. Learning to love and value herself is a challenge society faces today, and this makes the character of Nara all the more relatable. She's quite dependent on her circle of friends and constantly seeks security from them, but she's starting to choose decisions of her own and this is progressively developing as seen in the friendship of Luhan, and her roomates as well as their friends. The absence of family love and comfort is made up with Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kai, Sehun and Jongin's love, all of which is more than Nara can ask for. On the topic of romantic conflicts, I think it is most appropriate for Nara to find it extremely difficult to feel certain emotions for anyone, let alone accept their confessions. Given the circumstances of a best friend's death and the violation when she was thirteen, I would definitely have been put off if Nara got over things and started dating earlier in the story, as late as you have put it. 
Nara has significantly grown into a stronger figure than the one she represented as a vulnerable child a long time ago, and in the constant company of her friends, she will continue to successfully find ways to further understand her personal conflicts of love and friendship. You've planned and beautifully described Nara's pure personality to the readers throughout the story. 
 
Park Chanyeol
Happy Virus indeed. An all smiles and definitely a strong and emotionally-controlled person. His series of false masks hiding the pain and dread he suffers because of his parents was almost too strong of a boy of such young age to believe, but you allowed the readers a taste of the arguments and noise, and dropped an abundant amount of clues to show Chanyeol often struggled to keep his smile. His decision to date and later marry Krystal was well backed up with reason, but the question I will pop here, is whether he put much of a consideration for Nara and Baekhyun, his close-knit family. Sure he wanted to save his parents, but if he was spending limited time with Nara and Baekhyun, did he perhaps love his parents more than his friends?
From the stress Chanyeol continually carried, and at such a hormonal stage in his life, his suicide was not an uncalled-for end, and the fact that you added in Chanyeol's previous attempts to leave the world makes everything very believable. Park Chanyeol, the perfect imperfection. 
 
Byun Baekhyun
The babe who joined late. Nah he's a total sweetheart; wasn't he an at some point? He's the kindest compared to Kai, tbh. Equally taking good care of Nara with Chanyeol, Baekhyun claims an important position in Nara's heart. Having the loving component from his family out of the three, Baekhyun strives to protect both Nara and Chanyeol from their own. After Chanyeol's fatal incident, Baekhyun has grown into more of a brother (zoned) for Nara, pranking and teasing her significantly less, which is essentially what Nara needs from her best friend. We are unsure of what Baekhyun makes of Chanyeol's unrequited love for him, but he seems to respect Chanyeol as his close brother and not let Chanyeol's homouality affect him any more than that of a best friend. As the story progressed, Baekhyun has grown more quiet and reserved compared to when Chanyeol still completed the three amigos, and I will assume now Baekhyun is constantly watching over Nara and being there for her whenever they have company. 
 
Kim Jongin
The character of Jongin is what I would say, what brings the spice to the group. The most arrogant character suffers the most constant abuse from his family - that's what probably keeps the story light. The readers know the torture Kai goes through at home, and the fact that he's very chirpy if not the most of the group, allows the reader to relish in the cheerful moments of the story while it features Kai. Having a god-like face and god-like wealth, you've kept it very vague as to how hard Kai goes with girls, but his love for Nara seems very promising and for the readers out there who enjoy M-rated chapters, most likely would have rooted for Nara to be with Kai from the moment they shared fried chicken on his birthday. You've expertly shown us Kai's abused side, cocky side, and his loyal love to his friends, especially that of Sehun. It is obvious he feels strongly for his friend upon the sentencing, and the release after five years. Having a wild and snobbish personality, it is hard not to fall in love with this character.
 
Kim Jongdae
Unlike the others, Jongdae is the only one where he seems to be "problem-free". No family background check, no love conflicts, he's just there in the group to make things livid and hilarious. His position in the circle of friends is just as important, as his intentions to protect Nara are as pure as ever, and it would have been a bit of an overload to the readers if Jongdae had his problems revealed to our over-worrying Nara. Also unlike the others, Nara seems to have zero interest in Jongdae, and the same goes vice versa. Maybe there is enough competition as it is, and again, it probably would have been over-kill. Damn, Jongdae sort is like, just there, and I would like to laugh right now, but I'm not sure if this would offend you.
 
Oh Sehun
My oh my, where to start. I loved his mysterious and calm character throughout the years Nara and Sehun shared friendship, and the violence and mental issues behind the man was very accountable for. His over-protective nature of Nara leading him into snapping and landing himself some prison time really turns the story over and questions the friendship of the group, just as they were crumbling. Love interests between him and our main female character are hinted, and personally, I thought Nara would've chosen him first, and I don't want to be wrong here because I really believe that Oh Sehun treasured Nara so much, as a friend or more than a friend, that he knows he shouldn't become 100% attached to her and encouraged Nara to choose Baekhyun. Or maybe he was more of the father watching over her and constantly making sure things would go best for her and simply directed her towards Baekhyun. Either way, Sehun is hot and I hope he finds a super cool girlfriend.

Content Description (10/10)
You have a knack of description, especially in clothes. I didn't really discover anything insufficiently described, in fact, everything couldn't have been more beautifully written. You explain a lot of things in detail so that all of the scenes happenining in Release Me are very easy to picture. A very well done in this category.
 
Flow: (5/5)
Release Me was told in a very steady pace. Maintaining the flow of a story is one thing, knowing the approriate times and rates to take leaps in between are another. You've certainly ticked all the boxes here. All the friendships started and flourished appropriately (as in nothing was abnormally rushed), and all the romantic components melted well into the friendships; all but one. I think it was quite rushed for Luhan to develop his feelings for Nara, though there is the fact that no one has looked at him like Nara has (as a friend) and the fact that she's pretty, mature and well-mannered probably forced the poor guy. Considering that Nara has been friends with Kai, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Kris for so long, and so close with them all (minus Kris), everyone wanted to kiss Nara, and maybe all those years Nara has spent with the boys has got me thinking Luhan's little moment with her was a bit much. Because of that rushed kiss, I stopped considering Luhan as a good match for Nara xD.
The other section of the story that made me stop reading and go "woah, wait, what" was when Nara and her circle went out to Taemin's beach party. Here, things were getting cheeky and fluffy and sort-of-y-but-not-really and cute and close and happy and then all of a sudden, you're talking college, fear of stepping into the new, starting another learning life, the adult life, but also a refreshed student life. I think that was a big jump at describing Nara's preparation of the new right after the friends banter and sharing cheek kisses and sunscreen and everything seemed right in the world. Maybe it would have been more appropriate if you did those little note things during the middle of a chapter that hang us readers on the edge like "but things were never meant to go right in the world, at least, not for long". Not like that lol that's sort of out of context, but I hope you know what I'm referring to here; or just simply place the start of her university life in a new chapter. It sounds like I'm making a big deal out of one small thing in this review, but when I was reading your story, I kept thinking how well you made the story flow and how I could apply this to my own fanfictions, and I guess comparing this leap to your previous chapters made it look like the story tore a little for a second. It was a bit of a shock to me.
 
Grammar: (10/10)
The grammar is exceptional. I hardly found any mistakes, probably ten in total out of all the chapters (sort of exaggerating maybe not really but yeah kinda). Below are a few that I've noted, but compared to most editing, this is really something. It's great to see a more sophisticated vocabulary here and there though I would think that you kept it mostly simple for the benefit of our second/third/fourth (??) English language readers. I'll admit I had to stop reading and google some definitions (I've never even heard of 'lackadaisical' in any point of my life). Adding in Korean basics are fine, though dumb people like me don't know all there is to it. It seems like I haven't watched a sufficient amount of k-drama, or watched enough EXO episodes, or caught on the Korea language fast enough in general. I evenutally gave up trying to guess what out what 'Eung' and 'Kunde' meant and googled it.
 
 
CHAPTER ONE
 
"Maybe if you didn't blow our money on alcohol, I wouldn't have to breathe down your neck all the time!" Mrs Park shouted back.
 
"That damaged little girl is a better influence on Chanyeol than is of a mother." Another slap followed.
 
One day, opposite from Chanyeol's house, another boy around our age moved in when I was ten and Chanyeol was twelve.
[This correction isn't necessary as formality doesn't matter so much on fanfiction websites. If you do want to follow formalities though, always keep numerals in letter form unless it's to do with the time or it's some part of a code/message.]
 
 
CHAPTER TWO
 
I scoffed by reacted quickly when he threw me the ball.
 
 
CHAPTER THREE
 
Chanyeol threw his head back and laughed along.
 
For the first time in years, I truly felt at peace.
 
"Stop calling me that," I hissed but he merely flashed me that smirk that disarmed and destroyed every straight woman and gay male.
 
"I'll call you what I want," he said with the same smirk, "chipmunk."
[You didn't end the sentence in the dialogue, so "chipmunk" shouldn't be capitalised.]
 
Taste of the Story: (10/10)
My oh my, I was so into Release Me it was a huge mistake to start reading on Boxing Day. It was hard whether to stay upstairs reading more chapters or go downstairs to eat food and take care of some baby twins. I used to dislike fluff a lot, mostly because it made me cringe 90% of the time, but I think I'm slowly getting used to it. I'm much more of an angst reader, but my mum said a long while ago that I'm too depressed for someone so young and should watch more happy shows xD. Release Me has just the right amount of fluff and angst in it and it combined so well. I was into each character and their charms, and every scene that played out. Whenever things made my heart flutter I would take a moment to stop reading and just spaz out, and then continue reading and fall in love with Nara's best friends. Each chapter got my heart wrenching and reminded me why I always wait for anime and k-drama seasons to finish because I absolutely cannot deal with the cliffhangers. Like I said earlier, I was strongly rooting for Baekhyun, and when I said that I didn't really root for anyone before, I lied, because I always rooted for Baekhyun over anyone. He was never really my #1 bias in EXO, that always belongs to Kai hands down, but I read a fic short of two years ago that starred Baekhyun and it still is my favourite story yet, and is actually the reason why the lead of my main fanfiction is the one and only Byun Baekhyun. So yeah, I guess that's where it started, but seriously I am so in love with the creation of your characters it's just one of those stories that make me wish so hard I lived in their world, and that I was Kim Nara and I had Baekhyun and Luhan and Kai fawning over me. I just wish.
I was very surprised when I came across one of your author's notes where you weren't getting enough story comments. lol what. Who are your heartless readers because I knew this story was amazing right after the first chapter, I could see it in your writing style. I am so in love with Release Me that I think it has just earned a spot as my second favourite fanfiction of all time.
I did those 'recommended stories' some review shops usually do when particular stories scored well back in Batch 1, but I took it down because... I think... that this layout was too hard to slot that in LOL. Bit of a short-memory I have, but 72% sure that's why. I might start that back up again next batch when I revamp the shop, and I hope that you feel very proud of yourself because never in my one year and a half's worth of reviewing experience have I ever given full marks in Plot. Not to mention that this is the most longest review I have ever written in all the breaths I've ever taken. I think I need to take a break from reviewing LOL but nah, can't afford it, might as well just finish this batch :x. I sometimes consider doing those individual, personal fanfiction recommendation threads for any readers looking for a good read, but reading on AFF has been solely because of reviews for the past year so I've never really decided it was a good idea for me. But if I were to end up doing that, Release Me would definitely be on there :).
And as this review comes to an end, there leaves the only one question from your story. And that is: What did Nara give Sehun for his birthday?!?!
 


TOTAL: (92/100)

 

Thank you for requesting at LUST review shop.

63AGZKC.jpg